Author Topic: bench dips  (Read 2719 times)

romeo

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
bench dips
« on: December 12, 2005, 02:00:46 PM »
i dont have a dipping belt and dont have the money to buy one yet. I knwo they are not that expensive lol

but will bench dips with a couple of forty fives do the job just as well? i know that wieghted dips are one of t ebest exercises was just wondering.

thanks guys

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: bench dips
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 02:04:25 PM »
well by bench dip...im guessing its for your triceps. yes, bench dips are as good

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 02:12:31 PM »
I dont think it would be the same because your body is in quite a different position and its not the same range of motion.  But I would definitely add weight if your going to do bench dips.

In the past I have gotten the weight I needed on upright dips by getting a DB or an EZ curl bar and asked whoever is around to set it on the bend of my legs which I have bent at the knee behind me.  Pain in the butt however it works.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 03:00:11 PM »
mine was £20 about $35. with a sturdy weight belt and a thick chain and padlock you can get the smae benefit. If you cant do real dips bench dips will work fairly well also

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 03:06:05 PM »
i dont have a dipping belt and dont have the money to buy one yet. I knwo they are not that expensive lol

but will bench dips with a couple of forty fives do the job just as well? i know that wieghted dips are one of t ebest exercises was just wondering.

thanks guys
If your doing them for tri's alone then yes they will work just fine, I actually prefer them this way.  But, if your wanting to do dips to emphasize the pecs then the answer is no.  You need to be able to lean in to the movement to adequately stress the pec muscles

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 09:23:58 PM »
Nothing will replace regular dips, bench dips are so very limited if your serious about development. How about what people have been using for thousands of years....a rope. And while your at it, place a long heavy towel around the rope so when you begin using heavier weights the rope will not dig into your body. I've used a medium linked chain for years (easier to cinch up than a rope sometimes) doing dips. I'm guessing you work out at home  because if you trained at a good gym they would have dipping belts for you to use. Good Luck.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 09:17:27 AM »
well by bench dip...im guessing its for your triceps. yes, bench dips are as good

i actually prefer bench dips for tris, but definitely not for chest.  The only problem is, you generally need about 3-5 45s on your lap to get these to work; that's really hard to do without a training partner.  I'm guessing if you don't even have a dip belt you probably don't have a training partner. 

JPMs rope advice is good, you could also try holding a DB between your feet.
:-)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 01:54:29 PM »
Bench dips are far better than regular dips or close grips for tris, from my experience. Far more intense muscle stimulation & far less shoulder stress. Regular dips work only for some and are hugely hyped. Fact is they're often harsh on the shoulders and don't isolate as well as other alternatives. For chest, decline dumbbell or cable flys or presses are a good alternative to dips, again with less shoulder trauma. For dips to work as well as advertized you should use the rarely found "V" shaped dip bar which none of the gyms have.

For bench dips, hang a dumbbell between the thighs or use resistance straps to increase tension.

Brooks

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 03:17:18 PM »
Stupid question time - are bench dips when your hands are on the bench seat behind you? If so those are what I do but they tend to hurt my shoulders. I've been trying to find objects around the house so I can do dips with my arms at my sides, less pain in my shoulders.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 04:49:22 PM »
Good question. Normally done with hands behind back. At home I've often used arm rests from chairs, with feet propped up on something about the same level or higher, and hands by my sides-similar effect.

Excellent reference:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/WtBenchDip.html

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 03:03:02 AM »
I have heard bench dips are a good finisher for your tri's.
Try this, put (example weight) 20kg on ur lap and do bench dips for as many as u can, strip away 10kg and do it again, then take away 10kg and just rep out with bodyweight. This should tire out tri's but just to make sure do that whole strip set one more time.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 04:33:39 AM »
Resist fallasies that often relegate seriously good exercises to niche status only because that is what's always repeated and propogated ("good finishing exercise only"). I used to believe that crap, realized later that some exercises are just good, period. Only through experimentation will you know the value, rather than by accepting preconceptions.

Legit good finishers IMO are kickbacks, one-handed exercises and close-grip pushups with no weight. Experiment for yourself, form your own opinions.

Bench dips are as good or better than close grips or regular dips for size.