Author Topic: How to remain secure against NSA surveillance -- Bruce Schneier  (Read 6237 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
How to remain secure against NSA surveillance -- Bruce Schneier
« on: September 05, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-how-to-remain-secure-surveillance

With all this in mind, I have five pieces of advice:

1) Hide in the network. Implement hidden services. Use Tor to anonymize yourself. Yes, the NSA targets Tor users, but it's work for them. The less obvious you are, the safer you are.

2) Encrypt your communications. Use TLS. Use IPsec. Again, while it's true that the NSA targets encrypted connections – and it may have explicit exploits against these protocols – you're much better protected than if you communicate in the clear.

3) Assume that while your computer can be compromised, it would take work and risk on the part of the NSA – so it probably isn't. If you have something really important, use an air gap. Since I started working with the Snowden documents, I bought a new computer that has never been connected to the internet. If I want to transfer a file, I encrypt the file on the secure computer and walk it over to my internet computer, using a USB stick. To decrypt something, I reverse the process. This might not be bulletproof, but it's pretty good.

4) Be suspicious of commercial encryption software, especially from large vendors. My guess is that most encryption products from large US companies have NSA-friendly back doors, and many foreign ones probably do as well. It's prudent to assume that foreign products also have foreign-installed backdoors. Closed-source software is easier for the NSA to backdoor than open-source software. Systems relying on master secrets are vulnerable to the NSA, through either legal or more clandestine means.

5) Try to use public-domain encryption that has to be compatible with other implementations. For example, it's harder for the NSA to backdoor TLS than BitLocker, because any vendor's TLS has to be compatible with every other vendor's TLS, while BitLocker only has to be compatible with itself, giving the NSA a lot more freedom to make changes. And because BitLocker is proprietary, it's far less likely those changes will be discovered. Prefer symmetric cryptography over public-key cryptography. Prefer conventional discrete-log-based systems over elliptic-curve systems; the latter have constants that the NSA influences when they can.

Read the whole thing. 'Tis truly a whole new world.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: How to remain secure against NSA surveillance -- Bruce Schneier
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 01:24:32 PM »
How about getting off of the fucking computer and speaking face to face. 

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »
Also delete your fucking Facebook account  ;D and all social media bullshit

Check this out  ;D

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 02:36:39 PM »

256bit AES. let me know if they can crack this.

Quantum computer will do the trick... but quantum cryptography is the king.
Gracie Rules

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:51:29 PM »
Also delete your fucking Facebook account  ;D and all social media bullshit

Check this out  ;D

I'm very pissed off after watching this. Thanks for that.  >:(
Looks like it's sunglasses and medical mask in public. This shit it outta control and must be stopped.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-how-to-remain-secure-surveillance

Read the whole thing. 'Tis truly a whole new world.

Lol at TLS and TOR. didn't you read the memo?lol booth are compromised.

Good bye silk road.

SSL also compromised, I believe STARTTLS still ok.
Gracie Rules

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 02:55:01 PM »
Also delete your fucking Facebook account  ;D and all social media bullshit

Check this out  ;D

Facebook keeps your sh*t forever.
Gracie Rules

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »

Facebook keeps your sh*t forever.

True , glad I never had an account

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »

The Internet keeps your sh*t forever.

Fixed

dustin

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »
I don't do anything secretive enough to go that far, but it's good to know. I don't care if the NSA wants to see me text my wife or friends because it's usually a stupid message about a huge shit that I took in the morning or "meet you at 5pm" messages. But it's disconcerting to know that EVERYTHING is accessible to them. :-\

When I get the time I'll cover my tracks a bit more to make them have to work harder. Kind of sucks to be treated like a terrorist by default. Even in another country, everyone's being spied on.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 03:31:24 PM »

Lol at TLS and TOR. didn't you read the memo?lol booth are compromised.

Good bye silk road.

SSL also compromised, I believe STARTTLS still ok.

Could you please elaborate on this?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »
Fixed

True that , Google has a record of every single search entered since day one

dustin

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 03:40:03 PM »

I'm sure all of this has been compromised already but it's probably time consuming and cumbersome with all of the security measures that people take. I never sat back and thought that it was all impervious to infiltration, more of a nuisance than anything. I don't think anyone should ever think that they're completely under the radar.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 03:40:36 PM »

256bit AES. let me know if they can crack this.

Quantum computer will do the trick... but quantum cryptography is the king.

The NSA designed AES. You do the math.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
The NSA designed AES. You do the math.

Uhm... no it didn't. Although the NSA played a role in the review process of the competition that resulted in an algorithm called Rijndael (developed by people completely unrelated to the agency: two Belgian cryptographers) becoming annointed as a standard called AES (short of “Advanced Encryption Standard” by the way).

It's possible that the NSA has cryptographic techniques that are not widely known that allow it to perform attacks against AES that improve on the attacks that we already know, but unless the attacks are truly revolutionary then, frankly, AES is still secure. Even AES-256 with its slightly weird key schedule.

As to Schneier's suggestion about avoid ECC because of NSA constants, two comments on that. I respect Bruce Schneier tremendously as a cryptographer and security expert. But I disagree with what he's saying here slightly:

Historical evidence suggests that when the NSA made changes to a crypto system by tweaking numbers, the changes strengthened the cipher rather than weakened it. Don't take my word for it, look at the case of DES. After Coppersmith and his team spend weeks cooking up S-boxes for DES, they sent them to NSA which quickly came back with changes (with no reason provided) that were adopted.

It took a long time before the community discovered differential cryptanalysis. But when it did, lo... those NSA changes actually strengthened the algorithm instead of weakening it!

Second, nobody is forcing you to use the particular elliptic curves the NSA recommends. If you are worried that they are specially picked to facilitate some unknown attack, simply use different curves. Elliptic curve cryptography offers tremendous advantages and it seems silly to not leverage it.

No key in the cryptographic community argues that liltic curve cryptography has some fundamental flaw and no key has a serious attack against it. It's true that some curves are better than others, and although it's tempting to suggest that the NSA "chose" the weaker ones for their own purposes, it's more likely that they chose better ones.

Of course, I understand that trusting the NSA isn't in vogue now, and blind trust is silly. So yes, if you're worried about elliptic curves, used discrete log based systems. Not that you know what either of those are.

And that's why Schneier's advice in this instance is not quite as spot on as it usually is. Suggesting the use of air-gapped computers, good physical security, and crypto-suites that must interoperate with others are great, practical suggestions. The discrete log vs ECC distinction, eh, not so much.

Please note that I don't dispute that NSA is years ahead of the community in cryptanalytic and cryptographic techniques, or that they have the ability to decrypt algorithms that we consider secure. But I do not believe they have the ability to decrypt modern ciphers with abandon, rendering all encryption obsolete.

On the issue of decrypting SSL, for example, most connections secured by SSL, even today, are encrypted using the RC4 stream cipher, which has a number of known weaknesses; couple that with exploits like BEAST, and it could make a lot of "secure" traffic insecure. That's a very real issue.

An even bigger issue is idiots who implement "custom" encryption. They hide behind bullshit phrases like "military grade encryption" or "proprietary unbreakable encryption" etc. When it comes to encryption you want open. Not proprietary. The security should rest in the key, not the algorithm.

Now, for whatever it's worth, my suggestions are to:

Prefer open-source solutions; open-source isn't a panacea (as the Debian OpenSSL fiasco will readily prove) the fact that the code is open to review makes it less likely to have hidden functionality or exploits hidden within.

Encrypt your computers using some kind of whole-disk encryption. Bitlocker is very good and easy to use, but if you do use it, use it in conjunction with EFS. TrueCrypt is also excellent. On a Mac, File auto is good but has a history of poor design decision. Linux solutions are pretty good. But anything. Is better than nothing.

Depending on the level of security you need, air-gap your machines; process your most secure data on machines that are not connected to any network and very carefully transfer files across the gap manually only when absolutely necessary.

Don't trust a machine that others have had physical access to. Physical access to your laptop means the laptop is potentially compromised. Depending on your security requirements, this may mean that the laptop goes to the thrash. So be it. Just wipe the disk first.

When traveling internationally, never keep confidential data in a laptop or other electronic device, even if encrypted. They can be searched and copied without a warrant, and you may be going to a country that requires you to divulge your password(s).

If the crypto-products you use have a "duress password" facility, then use it and use it properly. TrueCrypt does (by way of hidden volumes) and it can be great. But read the manual carefully to maximize the protection the duress password affords you.

Lastly, just practice good operational security: pick good passwords, eliminate password reuse and sharing between sites. Watch out for shoulder-surfers. And don't trust the integrity of unencrypted connections routed via wired and especially wireless networks.

If there are specific questions you guys do have, let's get a conversation started. Just ask yourself: can this unknown guy on a body building forum, who I know nothing about, be trusted to dispense security advice? Also, does he even lift?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 05:20:33 PM »
Point. Maybe I was thinking of the SHA ciphers. Hasn't RC4 been completely deprecated in TLS by now?

Also, back about 10 years ago I was working on the crypto for a commercial product. As the IC was one of our biggest customers, we sent our code to the NSA for review, they came back with VERY specific algorithm suggestions for both symmetric and public/private algos. Neither of them were obvious blown ciphers like DES, but were and are still well used.

Not sure if the NSA was suggesting it because they were strong ciphers or if the puzzle guys had cracked them.

I have never used either of them for anything since them.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
Point. Maybe I was thinking of the SHA ciphers. Hasn't RC4 been completely deprecated in TLS by now?

No, RC4 is still heavily used in SSL encryption because it is quite fast and lightweight. Go to just about any SSL-encrypted site and inspect the connection properties. For example, I just visited gmail.com and I have a TLS 1.2 secured connection, using RC4-128 as the cipher with SHA1 for message authentication. Key exchange was done using Diffie–Hellman on elliptic curves.

Properly used for this purpose, it's still fine, even in the face of Fluher-Martin attacks or even Klein's improved attack. But we will probably transition to something better soon.

Also, back about 10 years ago I was working on the crypto for a commercial product. As the IC was one of our biggest customers, we sent our code to the NSA for review, they came back with VERY specific algorithm suggestions for both symmetric and public/private algos. Neither of them were obvious blown ciphers like DES, but were and are still well used.

Not sure if the NSA was suggesting it because they were strong ciphers or if the puzzle guys had cracked them.

I have never used either of them for anything since them.

Yeah, they do have a habit of returning with "suggestions" without really explaining why their suggestions should be implemented. It's possible (some would say, even likely) that those suggestions strengthen the security of your solution, or it's possible that they weaken it in subtle, heretofore unknown ways. You just can't know, but you may, eventually, find out (as Dan Coppersmith and his team, eventually found out).

The bottom line is that cryptography is a dark art as much as it is a science, and there are some dark wizards that are more powerful than you; ultimately, the best you can do is built as much of a security margin as you can into your system, hope that a vigorous review by others in the community exposes any inherent weaknesses and ensure that those deploying your solution understand the proper way to use it securely and its limitations.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »
Big respect, avxo. No doubt.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 05:58:10 PM »
Uhm... no it didn't. Although the NSA played a role in the review process of the competition that resulted in an algorithm called Rijndael (developed by people completely unrelated to the agency: two Belgian cryptographers) becoming annointed as a standard called AES (short of “Advanced Encryption Standard” by the way).

It's possible that the NSA has cryptographic techniques that are not widely known that allow it to perform attacks against AES that improve on the attacks that we already know, but unless the attacks are truly revolutionary then, frankly, AES is still secure. Even AES-256 with its slightly weird key schedule.

As to Schneier's suggestion about avoid ECC because of NSA constants, two comments on that. I respect Bruce Schneier tremendously as a cryptographer and security expert. But I disagree with what he's saying here slightly:

Historical evidence suggests that when the NSA made changes to a crypto system by tweaking numbers, the changes strengthened the cipher rather than weakened it. Don't take my word for it, look at the case of DES. After Coppersmith and his team spend weeks cooking up S-boxes for DES, they sent them to NSA which quickly came back with changes (with no reason provided) that were adopted.

It took a long time before the community discovered differential cryptanalysis. But when it did, lo... those NSA changes actually strengthened the algorithm instead of weakening it!

Second, nobody is forcing you to use the particular elliptic curves the NSA recommends. If you are worried that they are specially picked to facilitate some unknown attack, simply use different curves. Elliptic curve cryptography offers tremendous advantages and it seems silly to not leverage it.

No key in the cryptographic community argues that liltic curve cryptography has some fundamental flaw and no key has a serious attack against it. It's true that some curves are better than others, and although it's tempting to suggest that the NSA "chose" the weaker ones for their own purposes, it's more likely that they chose better ones.

Of course, I understand that trusting the NSA isn't in vogue now, and blind trust is silly. So yes, if you're worried about elliptic curves, used discrete log based systems. Not that you know what either of those are.

And that's why Schneier's advice in this instance is not quite as spot on as it usually is. Suggesting the use of air-gapped computers, good physical security, and crypto-suites that must interoperate with others are great, practical suggestions. The discrete log vs ECC distinction, eh, not so much.

Please note that I don't dispute that NSA is years ahead of the community in cryptanalytic and cryptographic techniques, or that they have the ability to decrypt algorithms that we consider secure. But I do not believe they have the ability to decrypt modern ciphers with abandon, rendering all encryption obsolete.

On the issue of decrypting SSL, for example, most connections secured by SSL, even today, are encrypted using the RC4 stream cipher, which has a number of known weaknesses; couple that with exploits like BEAST, and it could make a lot of "secure" traffic insecure. That's a very real issue.

An even bigger issue is idiots who implement "custom" encryption. They hide behind bullshit phrases like "military grade encryption" or "proprietary unbreakable encryption" etc. When it comes to encryption you want open. Not proprietary. The security should rest in the key, not the algorithm.

Now, for whatever it's worth, my suggestions are to:

Prefer open-source solutions; open-source isn't a panacea (as the Debian OpenSSL fiasco will readily prove) the fact that the code is open to review makes it less likely to have hidden functionality or exploits hidden within.

Encrypt your computers using some kind of whole-disk encryption. Bitlocker is very good and easy to use, but if you do use it, use it in conjunction with EFS. TrueCrypt is also excellent. On a Mac, File auto is good but has a history of poor design decision. Linux solutions are pretty good. But anything. Is better than nothing.

Depending on the level of security you need, air-gap your machines; process your most secure data on machines that are not connected to any network and very carefully transfer files across the gap manually only when absolutely necessary.

Don't trust a machine that others have had physical access to. Physical access to your laptop means the laptop is potentially compromised. Depending on your security requirements, this may mean that the laptop goes to the thrash. So be it. Just wipe the disk first.

When traveling internationally, never keep confidential data in a laptop or other electronic device, even if encrypted. They can be searched and copied without a warrant, and you may be going to a country that requires you to divulge your password(s).

If the crypto-products you use have a "duress password" facility, then use it and use it properly. TrueCrypt does (by way of hidden volumes) and it can be great. But read the manual carefully to maximize the protection the duress password affords you.

Lastly, just practice good operational security: pick good passwords, eliminate password reuse and sharing between sites. Watch out for shoulder-surfers. And don't trust the integrity of unencrypted connections routed via wired and especially wireless networks.

If there are specific questions you guys do have, let's get a conversation started. Just ask yourself: can this unknown guy on a body building forum, who I know nothing about, be trusted to dispense security advice? Also, does he even lift?

Truecrypt has a backdoor. have you heard about it?
Gracie Rules

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 06:01:02 PM »

Would you like to have the Virginia IP that hacked TOR?
Gracie Rules

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 06:12:22 PM »
Truecrypt has a backdoor. have you heard about it?

No, and I highly doubt it has. 100% of the TrueCrypt source code is open and available to everyone and has been examined by at least two well-known cryptographers who would happily publish papers exposing any backdoor that they discovered. Care to elaborate on this backdoor or at least provide a link that I can look at?

This isn't to say that TrueCrypt doesn't have shortcomings or can't be subverted. It does and it can. But then again, everything can be subverted, and all known attacks utilize vectors that the TrueCrypt security model isn't designed to protect you against.

As I said in my original post, once someone has physical access to your machines then all bets are off and if you are security-conscious you should consider that they own the machine and it can no longer be trusted.

Would you like to have the Virginia IP that hacked TOR?

"hacked" is a bit of a sensationalistic title. Like all media reporting on esotetic subjects, they tend to conflate many different issues and to use big words that don't accurately describe the situation.

The simple fact is that tor isn't designed or meant to provide security, and if you use it as a security provider then you shouldn't be surprised when it breaks.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 06:24:09 PM »
I knew my cipher was compromised when I got "Airborne midget interracial incestuous lesbian lactation fisting?  Haha.  Oh brother!"

Fucking gubment.  >:(

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »
Who cares? Let 'em have all the information they want.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 07:14:12 PM »
Who cares? Let 'em have all the information they want.

Yeah, because why shouldn't the government know all your intimate personal details right? It's not like you have anything to hide, so what are you afraid of? It's your patriotic duty.

::)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 07:27:58 PM »
Yeah, because why shouldn't the government know all your intimate personal details right? It's not like you have anything to hide, so what are you afraid of? It's your patriotic duty.

::)

Really, who cares?