Author Topic: Utah Is on Track to End Homelessness  (Read 4997 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Utah Is on Track to End Homelessness
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2013, 10:59:25 AM »
Interesting concept.  Not sure it makes good financial sense, because a working American contributes more than an unemployed American on government assistance. 

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »
why do people who produce nothing get an apartment paid for by money taken from people liek me?

fucking racist.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 11:09:31 AM »
Interesting concept.  Not sure it makes good financial sense, because a working American contributes more than an unemployed American on government assistance. 

It's not addressing any of the causes of homelessness.  Treatment for substance abuse, mental illness or any kind of job assistance is not being made available as far as I can tell.   Add these programs and the cost goes up. 
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
It's not addressing any of the causes of homelessness.  Treatment for substance abuse, mental illness or any kind of job assistance is not being made available as far as I can tell.   Add these programs and the cost goes up. 

Agree.  Plus the loss of tax revenue from a working American. 

Another issue is the cyclical nature of poverty (and success).  People given indefinite free housing are more likely to have kids who will require government assistance. 

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »
These people won't stop doing drugs, ODing weekly and stealing to get their fix just because some simpleton gave them a free apartment.

All the well meaning Mormon idiots did was add $11k to the existing cost per year of a drug addicted , disease ridden bum using the ER every few days, being arrested for stealing regularly or loitering , drinking on the street etc.

I'm sure they won't take that into account since that doesn't fit the agenda here.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 05:06:32 PM »
It's semantics.  I'd like to see what the long term success rate is.  How many of these individuals become self sufficient. It doesn't address the cost of mental health care or substance abuse treatment, a major reason for homelessness.  

I think having a home would do wonders for your mental health. Might even give you the break you need to address the drug issue. And save the taxpayers = You some money. Its a win-win

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »
Agree.  Plus the loss of tax revenue from a working American. 

Another issue is the cyclical nature of poverty (and success).  People given indefinite free housing are more likely to have kids who will require government assistance. 

So if you give them apartments they will stop working the job they dont have?

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »
I think having a home would do wonders for your mental health. Might even give you the break you need to address the drug issue. And save the taxpayers = You some money. Its a win-win

Seems all to easy. 
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2013, 06:45:33 PM »
Yes, that's right.  It's much easier for a person to find a job if they have a vehicle too.  So let's give them free vehicles and free gas as well.  While we are giving away free stuff, throw in a free computer and free internet service too.  They can't find a job without a free computer and free internet service.

We already do...its called public transportation and public libraries with computers with internet service. 
A

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2013, 06:52:32 PM »
there is 1 way to get people of welfare success 100%

end it

work or starve baby!!

motivation!

Hello soaring crime rates! Desperation can make people behave in ways they otherwise would not.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2013, 06:54:10 PM »
Yes, that's right.  It's much easier for a person to find a job if they have a vehicle too.  So let's give them free vehicles and free gas as well.  While we are giving away free stuff, throw in a free computer and free internet service too.  They can't find a job without a free computer and free internet service.

Sounds good to me. And while we're doing that, ...I can show how to get free gold too.   :D   :P
w

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
Interesting concept.  Not sure it makes good financial sense,

Does this make financial sense to you?:
In 2005, Utah calculated the annual cost of E.R. visits and jail stays for an average homeless person was $16,670, while the cost of providing an apartment and social worker would be $11,000[/b]

because a working American contributes more than an unemployed American on government assistance. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 07:41:14 PM »
Hard to argue with the results here.

Not really.  We don't know the assumptions behind those numbers, what - if any - weighted factors they used.  And just because they now have an apartment, have they even done any follow up to determine these people are still not using the ER or going to jail?

And it's not like the government has a stellar track record with accurately assessing costs or properly applying unbiased formulas. 

This is hardly something anyone would want to take at face value and not argue the results.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 05:11:53 AM »

We already do...its called public transportation and public libraries with computers with internet service.  

Public transportation is not free.  How are they going to get to the library?  I say give them a free car, free gas, a free computer and free internet service.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2013, 05:13:17 AM »
Sounds good to me. And while we're doing that, ...I can show how to get free gold too.   :D   :P

24KT/JaguarEnterprises always pushing her scams here.

Michael Forrest Pleads Guilty to Selling Illegal Devices

For several years, doing business as Jaguar Enterprises, Dragonfly Enterprises, and BioElectric, S.A., Michael Forrest manufactured and marketed quack devices for treating cancer, AIDS, hepatitis, herpes, chronic fatigue syndrome, Candida yeast infections, lyme disease, parasites, gastritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. In 2001, Forrest signed an FTC consent agreement that he would not make unsubstantiated claims for any device or herbal products. However, he continued to make illegal claims on his Web sites. He even bragged that (a) "With the intuitive sense that the feds may be knocking on my door soon as a result of making claims about unapproved medical devices I moved from the USA to Costa Rica in 1999," (b) he was then in Paraguay and "out of the reach of the FTC," and (c) he had "hosted the his site "in a country that the feds could not shut it down." After an FDA investigation uncovered what Forrest was doing, he was charged with wire fraud, mail fraud, conspiring to mislead the FDA, and marketing an unapproved medical device. He pled guilty to the device charge in 2005 and in 2006 was sentenced to two years in prison.

Is this why SamsonEnterprises is so angry at America? I'm sure the Feds aren't too receptive towards anyone marketing their products under the "JaguarEnterprises" name.

What is it that makes pyramid schemes tick and why are they so successful? Lets keep it political.  ;D

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION

http://www.ftc.gov/os/2001/06/jaguarconsent.pdf

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2013, 08:50:34 AM »

So if you give them apartments they will stop working the job they dont have?

If you give them apartments, indefinitely, you remove the incentive to either find or keep a job and perpetuate the cyclical nature of government dependency and poverty. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2013, 09:12:05 AM »
If you give them apartments, indefinitely, you remove the incentive to either find or keep a job and perpetuate the cyclical nature of government dependency and poverty. 

They dont have a job now and is costing the tax payers a lot of money.

Here they get an apartment and save the tax payers money.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »

They dont have a job now and is costing the tax payers a lot of money.

Here they get an apartment and save the tax payers money.

That's exactly how welfare destroyed the African American family.  What the government meant as emergency rescue became a way of life.  

Poor people barely making enough money to pay rent will now have plenty of incentive to stop paying, get evicted, and then get a Rent Free apartment form the government.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2013, 09:22:35 AM »
That's exactly how welfare destroyed the African American family.  What the government meant as emergency rescue became a way of life.  

Poor people barely making enough money to pay rent will now have plenty of incentive to stop paying, get evicted, and then get a Rent Free apartment form the government.

So you are saying they will lose their homes on purpose, live on the streets for a while with the plan in my mind to get an apartment? Really?

And even if the above holds true the solution in this thread STILL saves dollars.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2013, 09:24:02 AM »
They should give them a car and ab xbox too. 

agreed.  it's cruel to expect a homeless person to live in an apartment with entertainment and transportation.

Free wifi and cable should be given too.  ObamaFi and BarrackTV.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »

So you are saying they will lose their homes on purpose, live on the streets for a while with the plan in my mind to get an apartment? Really?

And even if the above holds true the solution in this thread STILL saves dollars.

Have poor, American women ever popped babies while remaining unmarried on purpose with the plan in mind to get free government help?  Really?

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2013, 09:54:42 AM »
Utah calculated the annual cost of E.R. visits and jail stays for an average homeless person was $16,670, while the cost of providing an apartment and social worker would be $11,000.

So the cost is now $27,670 per person.

Or is this apartment a magical drug free place where people don't get sick or into trouble?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »
The idea is that a social worker will be onsite to maintain a relationship with each person, and will continually apply pressure on each individual to resolve the existing issues. For many of the tenants, it's probably the first time in years that they've regularly interacted with a "normal" person.

As I say, everyone wants to be successful, respected and loved. If you put a path in front of people to do that, good things will result from it.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2013, 03:35:22 AM »
The idea is that a social worker will be onsite to maintain a relationship with each person, and will continually apply pressure on each individual to resolve the existing issues. For many of the tenants, it's probably the first time in years that they've regularly interacted with a "normal" person.

As I say, everyone wants to be successful, respected and loved. If you put a path in front of people to do that, good things will result from it.

it worked for tbumz. 
A

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2013, 05:38:29 AM »

Not really.  We don't know the assumptions behind those numbers, what - if any - weighted factors they used.  And just because they now have an apartment, have they even done any follow up to determine these people are still not using the ER or going to jail?

And it's not like the government has a stellar track record with accurately assessing costs or properly applying unbiased formulas. 

This is hardly something anyone would want to take at face value and not argue the results.

Nothing like rebutting stats with opinion and conjecture huh?