Author Topic: Wendy Davis life story more complicated than compelling  (Read 1733 times)

ZOD

• Getbig II
Wendy Davis life story more complicated than compelling
« on: January 21, 2014, 05:15:53 AM »
(CNN) - Texas gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis admitted in an interview with the Dallas Morning News that she hasn't been totally accurate about her life's story, a compelling narrative she has used to appeal to voters in Texas and bolster her national profile.

"My language should be tighter," the Democratic state senator said. "I'm learning about using broader, looser language. I need to be more focused on the detail."

After her marathon filibuster against proposed abortion laws in the Texas legislature last summer, Davis was propelled to the national stage. The attention gave her the support and encouragement to announce a bid for governor in October. She frequently shared her biography both before and after she started running for governor, saying she was a single mother by the age of 19 and lived in a trailer with her young daughter. From there, she eventually put herself through community college, Texas Christian University, and Harvard Law School with the help of scholarship and loans. The Morning News, however, reported over the weekend that Davis became a single mother at 21, not 19, when she got divorced from her then-husband, who was directed to pay child support.

"She lived only a few months in the family mobile home while separated from her husband before moving into an apartment with her daughter," writes Wayne Slater, the paper's senior political writer. Davis' campaign released a statement later Monday to clarify some of the details from her life. "Wendy left home at 17, married when she was 18 and had her first daughter Amber when she was 19. She and her husband lived in a trailer, and Wendy continued to live there with Amber after they were separated." "As a single mother at age 19, she often struggled to make ends meet," the statement continued. "Wendy filed for divorce when she was 20 and she and Amber lived for a short time with her mother. The divorce became final when she was 21."

Davis later got help from a second husband, Jeff Davis, who helped pay for her two years at Texas Christian University and her time at Harvard. "When she was accepted to Harvard Law School, Jeff Davis cashed in his 401(k) account and eventually took out a loan to pay for her final year there," Slater reports. The Texas Tribune also reported details from Wendy Davis' relationship with Jeff Davis, as well as her complicated life story, back in September. While Davis was in Boston, her husband took care of their two young daughters, the Morning News article stated.

However, according to the statement provided by her campaign, the girls lived with Davis in Boston during her first year at law school. After that, the girls lived in Fort Worth and Davis commuted weekly to see them. Her mother played a "daily caretaking role" to help Jeff Davis, her campaign said. After she graduated from Harvard, she came back to Fort Worth and completed a judicial clerkship and worked as an attorney at the law firm Haynes and Boone. Jeff Davis told the Morning News he "opened some doors for her with some people" so she could pursue her interest in running for city council in 1996. She lost, but ran two years later and won. Jeff and Wendy Davis ended up getting divorced in 2005, roughly when her final Harvard payment was due. "I made the last payment, and it was the next day she left," Jeff Davis told the Morning News.

Wendy Davis took issue with the idea that he solely supported her. "I was a vibrant part of contributing to our family finances from the time I graduated to the time we separated in 2003," she told the paper. "The idea that suddenly there was this instantaneous departure after Jeff had partnered so beautifully with me in putting me through school is just absurd." Slater reports: "In his initial divorce filing, Jeff Davis said the marriage had failed, citing adultery on her part and conflicts that the couple could not overcome. The final court decree makes no mention of infidelity, granting the divorce solely "on the ground of insupportability.""

Jeff Davis won parental custody, and Wendy Davis agreed to pay $1,200 per month in child support, according to the report. Citing her own rocky childhood, Wendy Davis said she wanted her daughters to stay in the home they grew up in. "I very willingly, as part of my divorce settlement, paid child support. That was at my request, not any court telling me I needed to financially support my daughters," she said. Her campaign, however, said Jeff and Wendy Davis shared custody of both daughters after the final divorce proceedings. Davis is on good terms with her daughters, who are now adults. They support their mother's run for governor and appear in a campaign video for her. "She and Jeff Davis have a healthy and respectful relationship based on their mutual love of their daughters," her campaign said.

Twitter lit afire Monday with critics blasting Davis for leaving out key parts of her personal history, such as the help she received from Jeff Davis. The hashtag #MoreFakeThanWendyDavis, used mostly by conservatives, became a trending topic on the social media site. Though she admitted some details had been blurred, Davis defended her overall story as a young single mother who rose out of poverty and built a successful career. "Most people would identify with the fact that we tend to be defined by the struggles we came through than by the successes. And certainly for me that's true," she told the Morning News. "When I think about who I am and how it's reflected in the things I worked on, it comes from that place."

Davis raised a sizable $12 million last year, but she's still far behind from likely GOP nominee and Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, who took in $16 million and had $27 million cash on hand. In the statement sent by her campaign, Davis dismissed attacks from her opponents over the Morning News article. "(The attacks) won't work, because my story is the story of millions of Texas women who know the strength it takes when you're young, alone and a mother," she said.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/20/report-wendy-davis-life-story-more-complicated-than-compelling-narrative/?hpt=hp_t2

LOL! It's amazing the dirt that comes out when you're a candidate.

Lib hero exposed as a skank, liar and overall shitty mom.

good luck with the run  :D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Wendy Davis life story more complicated than compelling
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 06:11:46 AM »
Greg Abbot trounces her by double digits easy.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 07:39:49 AM »
She is a liar.

All these libtards are liars. Bigger liars than any conservative. That is why we are stuck with obamacrapcare, double digit unemployment (the true figure, not the one fabricated by the government), massive amounts of people on welfare and unemployment.

They lie about themselves, they lie about the effectiveness of their policies and ideology, they lie about everything.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:01:39 AM »
You right wingers and your silly facts. This shit is minor compared to pretending to be an American Indian. Yet that dingbat got elected. That one I will never understand. She benefited directly by saying she was an Indian....
L

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:21:07 AM »
1.twice divorced

2.got with sugar daddy 2nd husband who funded her Harvard adventure, cheated on him.

3.court ordered her to stay away from drugs/alcohol, custody of kids given to ex husband.

4.admitted in court she had been mentally damaged.

But hey, at least she pushes for late term abortions!!! ::)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:40:08 AM »
Liberal dream candidate right there.
L

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 08:46:01 AM »
Got to love the media. Funny how leftist lies are called "complicated".

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 08:47:08 AM »
Her language should be "tighter"?  How about just telling the truth. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
It's like Hillary Clinton doesn't lie, she only misspeaks.   ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 08:55:39 AM »
Typical

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 09:18:15 AM »
It's like Hillary Clinton doesn't lie, she only misspeaks.   ::)

Or obamatheclown "meant to say".

And they claim they "evolved" in their thinking.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »
Fauxcahontas..and abortion Barbie....this shit is great.
L

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 07:27:42 AM »
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/01/awful-wendy-davis-attacks-gop-opponent-saying-he-hasnt-walked-a-day-in-my-shoes-thats-because-hes-crippled-wendy

Nasty bitch

Is she related to Biden?

Why is Harvard producing "educated" individuals with such a great lack of common sense? Examples of this is the moroninchief and now this opportunistic retard.

Could you imagine the fabricated uproar from the libtards if a Republican had made the same comment?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 07:41:16 AM »
Scandals left and right with this bitch.

I can remember a local story early in her career where she used political muscle to preserve some tree covered land(like a park type situation) behind a property she owned rather than it being turned into a parking lot but she had it set up where it really benefited her pocket book the most in the end.

I can't remember the whole story but it was something along those lines.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 08:04:43 AM »
I can remember a local story early in her career where she used political muscle to preserve some tree covered land(like a park type situation) behind a property she owned rather than it being turned into a parking lot but she had it set up where it really benefited her pocket book the most in the end.

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2013/11/07/wendy-davis-tells-court-that-mean-newspaper-hurt-my-brain/

Her first brush with political activism came in the early 1990s when she opposed expansion of the popular Fort Worth Zoo, whose plans to use green space for a parking lot had the support of powerful downtown interests, including members of the billionaire Bass family. But it irked Davis and her aesthetic-minded neighbors in Mistletoe Heights, a historic neighborhood perched on a bluff overlooking the Trinity River

Exhibiting a taste for political combat, she brought the zoo battle into her first race for a seat on the Fort Worth City Council in 1996, when she said a prestigious law firm, which represented the Basses and zoo interests, had declined to make her a job offer because of her activism on the zoo issue. She lost the race by 90 votes, but Davis wasn’t done fighting.

A few months later she sued the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, alleging that biased coverage led to her defeat and caused injury to her physical and mental health; the suit was later dismissed on free speech grounds, according to news accounts in the hometown paper.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 08:18:48 AM »
Is she related to Biden?

Why is Harvard producing "educated" individuals with such a great lack of common sense? Examples of this is the moroninchief and now this opportunistic retard.

Could you imagine the fabricated uproar from the libtards if a Republican had made the same comment?

I've stayed out of this thread because who really gives a fuck about the backward fucks in Texas, right?  But from her quote she never added the part "...because he's crippled".  Here's what she said:

The truth is that at age 19, I was a teenage mother living alone with my daughter in a trailer and struggling to keep us afloat on my way to a divorce. And I knew then that I was going to have to work my way up and out of that life if I was going to give my daughter a better life and a better future and that’s what I’ve done. I am proud of where I came from and I am proud of what I’ve been able to achieve through hard work and perseverance. And I guarantee you that anyone who tries to say otherwise hasn’t walked a day in my shoes.”

Now, I'll grant you that she might very well have been wanting to get a dig in about the dude being "crippled" (Timmay!) but she doesn't come out and say that.  "To walk a day (mile) in one's shoes" is a common metaphor so to say, "Oooh, the libtards would freak if a right-tard said that!" is silly and wrong.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 05:25:23 PM »
She's toast.