Author Topic: UK training culture  (Read 7985 times)

the trainer

UK training culture
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:46:05 AM »
How are the gyms over there in the Uk do you guys have the planet fitness type bullshit or are the gyms hardcore, the only famous gym that I know of is temple gym I guess you could consider that to be the meca.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
Re: UK training culture
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 09:51:07 AM »
We have a fair number of hardcore gyms, especially outside London. In Manchester, lots of independent rusty hardcore gyms Flex n Tone was one in Salford I trained at.

In London for its sheer size there aren't that many, mainly cos its too expensive to run a profitable gym when the property is soo expensive.

Muscle Works I would say is a hardocre gym, men only, lots of machines and free weights , no faffing about no frills, buit overall most gyms are big chains full of nancies.
S

Simple Simon

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:18:15 AM »
We have a fair number of hardcore gyms, especially outside London. In Manchester, lots of independent rusty hardcore gyms Flex n Tone was one in Salford I trained at.

In London for its sheer size there aren't that many, mainly cos its too expensive to run a profitable gym when the property is soo expensive.

Muscle Works I would say is a hardocre gym, men only, lots of machines and free weights , no faffing about no frills, buit overall most gyms are big chains full of nancies.
Isn't it odd how its perceived, a gym with men only is 'hardcore' yet a mixed gym contains "nancies"  ???

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:51:28 AM »
Isn't it odd how its perceived, a gym with men only is 'hardcore' yet a mixed gym contains "nancies"  ???

My comment is actually more abt the crowd and the equipment, fitness first I had in mind. It is full of nancies. Muscle works actually is a BB gym
S

latiuss

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:57:18 AM »
My comment is actually more abt the crowd and the equipment, fitness first I had in mind. It is full of nancies. Muscle works actually is a BB gym

bber's are usually the biggest nancie's though  ;D

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 12:13:49 PM »
I've been to a few hardcore gyms but my current and former gyms are Nuffield and Virgin Active - which are pretty similar to Planet Fitness I'd imagine.

Too be honest, I prefer commercial gyms to hardcore gyms.
Cleaner, better hygiene, more diverse crowd, hot city chicks working out and even twinks with swimmer builds like myself, are among the better built guys there. :D

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »
I trained in a Nuffield a few weeks ago, some bloke inclined the 50kg dbells for 25 reps. Thats impresive in any gym

Simple Simon

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 12:21:01 PM »
I trained in a Nuffield a few weeks ago, some bloke inclined the 50kg dbells for 25 reps. Thats impresive in any gym
You spend a lot of time watching people lift when in the gym.

Oddly enough when I come out of the gym I have no idea what anyone else has been training let alone lifting.

the trainer

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
I've been to a few hardcore gyms but my current and former gyms are Nuffield and Virgin Active - which are pretty similar to Planet Fitness I'd imagine.

Too be honest, I prefer commercial gyms to hardcore gyms.
Cleaner, better hygiene, more diverse crowd, hot city chicks working out and even twinks with swimmer builds like myself, are among the better built guys there. :D

That is the wrong mindset you need to train in a hardcore gym with big buff men lifting heavy weights to inspire you.

Simple Simon

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 12:33:15 PM »
That is the wrong mindset you need to train in a hardcore gym with big buff men lifting heavy weights to inspire you.
Lol, when i changed gyms last year my Mrs said to me i had only moved because I was better than everyone at the old gym and I just wanted inspiration by being one of the smallest at the new gym.
I said "Nah, thats not it"
She said "You just want to be the biggest bastard in that gym, well you're not on lad"

Im still there, not the biggest by any stretch of the imagination, year round best condition, top two maybe.   ;)

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »
there is at least one hardcore gym in lancaster

Simple Simon

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
there is at least one hardcore gym in lancaster
Does he train there?

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »
You spend a lot of time watching people lift when in the gym.

Oddly enough when I come out of the gym I have no idea what anyone else has been training let alone lifting.

I like watching people do impressive stuff.

Simple Simon

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 12:50:21 PM »

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 12:58:17 PM »
muscle factory

latiuss

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 01:01:53 PM »

incling 50kg dbs for reps is impressive? Pwhahaha kewl story moe

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 01:15:14 PM »
I'm in a fairly big seaside town, and I'd say we have at least 3-4 bodybuilding gyms, maybe 5 mma/boxing gyms, a few independent half serious lifting/ half commercial, a few cheapo gyms ie fitness4less, 24 hour fitness, and the rest are your top end commercial David Lloyd, Virgin, Nuffield.

Population here is just under 200k, but you're never more than a mile away from a decent place to train. Doesn't stop 99% of people looking like shit though  ;D

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 03:03:30 PM »
incling 50kg dbs for reps is impressive? Pwhahaha kewl story moe

I take it you can do more than 25 reps on incline with 50s? Whos Moe?

latiuss

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 03:32:37 PM »
I take it you can do more than 25 reps on incline with 50s? Whos Moe?

you in surrey? Dunno what happened to other thread

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »
Im in Berkshire, it was at a gym in Dedworth. Think he was aworld champion powerlifter at the time.

latiuss

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 03:38:19 PM »
Im in Berkshire, it was at a gym in Dedworth. Think he was aworld champion powerlifter at the time.

fairplay.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 03:40:21 AM »
Like you inspired all of us with the pictures you revealed on August 6th!

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 03:41:43 AM »

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 05:22:58 AM »
I'm in a fairly big seaside town, and I'd say we have at least 3-4 bodybuilding gyms, maybe 5 mma/boxing gyms, a few independent half serious lifting/ half commercial, a few cheapo gyms ie fitness4less, 24 hour fitness, and the rest are your top end commercial David Lloyd, Virgin, Nuffield.

Population here is just under 200k, but you're never more than a mile away from a decent place to train. Doesn't stop 99% of people looking like shit though  ;D

brighton?

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 06:28:35 AM »