Author Topic: Rear Delt Training  (Read 12661 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Rear Delt Training
« on: November 30, 2014, 08:50:15 PM »
I do the basic exercises for rear delts, however, I could never quite feel it in my rear delts. I always feel it more in my overall shoulder and upper back. Any pointers on how to really isolate the rear delts?
X

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Rear Delt Training
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
Low incline db side raises, elbows bent. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Mr.Mojo

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 10:38:33 AM »

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
 Face pulls and what i like is lying on floor across body rear delt raises. Takes a lot of other muscles out of the motion and is strict.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »
Face pulls and what i like is lying on floor across body rear delt raises. Takes a lot of other muscles out of the motion and is strict.

cables with handle attachements, train them unilateral and hold a good 2 secs in the contracted position.
?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »
cables with handle attachements, train them unilateral and hold a good 2 secs in the contracted position.
Lying rear delt across body raises are one armed...but thanks.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:13:38 AM »
Lying rear delt across body raises are one armed...but thanks.

never said they weren't
Defensive are we, ffs man, chill!!!
?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »

never said they weren't
Defensive are we, ffs man, chill!!!
picked me up wrong. just saying. I am always willing to listen to sensible advice in the Training section which might benefit me. No offence meant.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »
thanks everyone. i train shoulders on wednesday.
X

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 12:56:38 AM »
My rear delt started to blow up when doing dumbell rows pulling slightly below my rear delt. Now RD are my best bodypart.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 07:57:16 AM »
I DO CABLE 'LOWER'CROUCHED SOMETIMES JUST USE CABLE NO HANDLES 'YOUR HANDS ARE CROSSED OVER THEN PULL OUT/BACK

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 09:11:41 AM »
Might suggest BB rows, with an extra wide grip and keeping the elbows wide out throughout the pull.. Pull the bar inline with the neck/upper chest, rather than the gut or lower chest, with a middle grip, that most guys use. Any extra wide pulling movement will affect the posterior delts.

One arm DB's also work extremely well with this wide, elbows out row. Some like a 2 second pause at the top position. Your choice. Chins behind the neck or lat pulls (extra wide grip on both) can be rewarding also.

Even hi-pulls affect the rear delts. Rear delts, not being a massive muscle by nature, seems to give most BB'ers a problem. They do act as a supporting unit for most pulls and even overhead presses. Does respond best to heavier work, I have noticed.

Good Luck.
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 11:16:50 AM »
I really like the wide grip rows pulling to the upper peck area as was already suggested.

I also like what I call "rear delt pulldowns". You lay down with your upper back on the pad where you would normally sit facing opposite the weight stack. Grap the pulldown attachment as wide as possible and pull down (its more like a row) very controlled, to your upper chest area. You will not need very much weight with these.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 11:33:03 AM »
I really like the wide grip rows pulling to the upper peck area as was already suggested.

I also like what I call "rear delt pulldowns". You lay down with your upper back on the pad where you would normally sit facing opposite the weight stack. Grap the pulldown attachment as wide as possible and pull down (its more like a row) very controlled, to your upper chest area. You will not need very much weight with these.
8)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »
Low incline db side raises, elbows bent. ::)

this is pretty much the only one that works for me

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 02:15:41 PM »
Of course there's the reverse Pec Deck exercise.

The better Pec Deck machine would be the one with the elbows placed on the pads, rather than the machine that is grip by handles stretch way out from the body. Have better leverage (direct focus) on the delt that way with resistance placed on the elbows. Same when doing it the regular way for the pec's facing front...elbows on pads. If you have the somewhat rare Nautilus Pec unit (in most gym's), all the more better.

As mentioned before, the posterior delt muscle is smaller compared to the lateral and anterior heads, but when developed correctly it adds to the overall balanced/development of the shoulders and even upper back.

Good Luck.

Side Bar:  best rear delt development.....gymnast. Including some women gymnast. Also Olympic lifters, with their rear delts, traps and total balanced upper back developments; Hi-pulls and snatches. Any BB'er who would do 5X8-10 of hi-pulls may surprise themselves with the total development of their upper backs & delts.
F

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 04:16:03 AM »
Of course there's the reverse Pec Deck exercise.

The better Pec Deck machine would be the one with the elbows placed on the pads, rather than the machine that is grip by handles stretch way out from the body. Have better leverage (direct focus) on the delt that way with resistance placed on the elbows. Same when doing it the regular way for the pec's facing front...elbows on pads. If you have the somewhat rare Nautilus Pec unit (in most gym's), all the more better.

As mentioned before, the posterior delt muscle is smaller compared to the lateral and anterior heads, but when developed correctly it adds to the overall balanced/development of the shoulders and even upper back.

Good Luck.

Side Bar:  best rear delt development.....gymnast. Including some women gymnast. Also Olympic lifters, with their rear delts, traps and total balanced upper back developments; Hi-pulls and snatches. Any BB'er who would do 5X8-10 of hi-pulls may surprise themselves with the total development of their upper backs & delts.

On the reverse pec deck i like to put my wrist (protected my bands) on the hand and do the movement, it takes out the forearm out of the exercise.
Doing unilateral movement on the machine is also great.
Unilateral dumbel reverse fly also good, you can go heavy.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 06:01:48 AM »
This is a great exercise and although using DBs you get constant tension on the rear delts and upper back.  Lying rear Deltoid circle on a bench.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 06:32:08 AM »
This is a great exercise and although using DBs you get constant tension on the rear delts and upper back.  Lying rear Deltoid circle on a bench.

THANKS PRETTY COOL..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 06:42:43 AM »
keys to the Inner Universe from Bill Pearl has some great exercises...
http://bodybuilding.ericsgym.com/trainingarticles/billpearldeltoids/index.htm

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »
Pull your shoulder blades back, use baby weights and hold it for 1-2 seconds at the top.
I believe it's best to train them right after back & traps.
Best of luck :)

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 04:45:07 PM »
using cable machine,set it shoulder height,do one shoulder at a time,key is to keep your tricep flexed all the time
T

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 07:58:36 PM »
Anybody try the movement where you pull the dbs straight up your side with elbows pointed back? Traps/rear delt burner.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 04:32:02 AM »
Anybody try the movement where you pull the dbs straight up your side with elbows pointed back? Traps/rear delt burner.

Yes, that's how I perform them, pinkies on top with a straight line to the side.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 12:15:35 PM »
Yes, that's how I perform them, pinkies on top with a straight line to the side.
Saw Milos do it years ago. Really gets a good burn
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!