Author Topic: Dieting: cut calories immediately or gradually?  (Read 17979 times)

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
Re: Dieting: cut calories immediately or gradually?
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 08:24:41 PM »
I'm more interested in different types of fasting....not Necesarily a large calorie deficit.  I have experimented with diets before that resulted in my metabolism slowing way down.  I did a diet once with lower carbs, high protein and low fat.  Fat was too low and I got lean down to a certain point, but then hit a wall, had no energy and couldn't get any leaner.  My test levels probably were very low.  It was a mess and I ended up binging for about a month just to kick start them again.  I am natural btw so that May have played a role.  I do understand what you're saying about creating a small calorie deficit and dropping the calories about 100 per week till you meet your goal.  I also think this May be more important for naturals.  I'm just interested in intermittent fasting because eating 2-3 times a day fits my lifestyle much better than 6 times a day.  I have a teenager in the house so I'm always on the run.  I know this isn't an excuse but if I want to experiment just to see if I can make it work.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 11:45:23 PM »
@Dyslexic: I can't say it much better than this

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 11:59:18 PM »
NO ONE needs to come sort all this nonsense out.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 04:33:27 AM »
Just yesterday, I jumped from between 2400-2700 a day to under 1800. I can't imagine why someone would gradually decrease to a figure they're hoping to arrive at (calorie wise) in the near future.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 05:18:09 AM »
Just yesterday, I jumped from between 2400-2700 a day to under 1800. I can't imagine why someone would gradually decrease to a figure they're hoping to arrive at (calorie wise) in the near future.

Dys explained this very well.
When you eat like a bird, you will end like a bird..

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 05:52:27 AM »
Dys explained this very well.
When you eat like a bird, you will end like a bird..

What Dys is describing is Gluconeogenesis, the body converting Protein to glucose.

By upping the protein and not completely eliminating carbs, you should be able to spare the muscle when dropping the cals.

whitewidow

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 06:20:43 AM »
Gradually. don't rush anything.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 06:45:35 AM »
What Dys is describing is Gluconeogenesis, the body converting Protein to glucose.

By upping the protein and not completely eliminating carbs, you should be able to spare the muscle when dropping the cals.

Well said, but I see no reason to go this drastic, other than those 3-5 days of depleting before a show or whatever. I was able to reach 4%bf with a little over 500 gr of clean carbs, simply by measuring a skinfold every morning.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 07:07:16 AM »
Guys well read on the topic all say gradually. I think I'll go with them instead of message board gurus

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 07:13:31 AM »
LOL, what kind of broscience shit is that?
Uh pardon, I answered my own question.

Broscience LOL.

Obviously you have no idea who are you talking to ....

WooosHHHHHHHHHHHH  Beyeke

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2014, 07:56:12 AM »
Well said, but I see no reason to go this drastic, other than those 3-5 days of depleting before a show or whatever. I was able to reach 4%bf with a little over 500 gr of clean carbs, simply by measuring a skinfold every morning.

No you didn't.

Jizmo

• Getbig IV
  • getbigbrah
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2014, 08:37:23 AM »
use t3 all the time and drop calories as low as you want immediately
problem solved

why complicate things when you can just use drugs

this is bodybuilding after all  :D :D

dustin

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2014, 12:48:54 PM »
Like most things in life, you don't want to shoot your load all in one go. Take it slowly. No need to rush because you'll just hit a plateau faster.

juicemachine

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 12:49:42 PM »
Drop the fork you fat piece of shit, that's all that is required.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 01:10:21 PM »

Galvatron

• Getbig III
  • I have contacts in Washington
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 05:23:13 PM »
Guys well read on the topic all say gradually. I think I'll go with them instead of message board gurus

No, they don't. If they know what they are talking about the answer will be: it depends.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 05:33:07 PM »
Guess what...

So you'll post a graph of your skinfold measurements but you have never posted an actual picture of yourself?  Oh brother, everyone can see you're all talk

And spare me the "I'm not interested in posting pictures for men" response... that's a cop-out and you know it

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 06:05:56 PM »
No, they don't. If they know what they are talking about the answer will be: it depends.

As much as I don't like arrogant Layne Norton, he has credentials and also a reputation to live up to, so I happen to believe what he and other guys like Alan Aragon have to say about dieting. Do you disagree with anything they've said here?

http://www.predatornutrition.com/en/content/ask-the-experts-fat-loss-special/

Question 1 - What is the most important determinant of fat loss?

Layne Norton - Well there are a lot of things but the biggest thing is to make sure that you are in a caloric deficit. Obviously protein/carb/fat breakdown is going to heavily influence substrate utilization and exercise is important to maintain muscle mass but at the end of the day if you aren't oxidizing more than you take in you won't be seeing significantly fat loss in most cases.

Alan Aragon - The most important thing is to sustain a caloric deficit over a prolonged period. The deficit will periodically close up, and plateaus in fat loss will occur, and getting past those plateaus is a matter of re-
opening the deficit with either a further decrease in intake, increase in training output, or both.

Question 3 - What's the biggest misconception most athletes have about getting in shape?

Layne Norton - That you can do it quick. I see guys who have 40 lbs of fat to lose and think they can just drop it in 12 weeks. Yea you might be able to drop 40 lbs but you are going to lose muscle and you are going to put it back on really fast when you go back to normal eating.

Alan Aragon - The most common misconception is that it can be done quickly and easily as long as the right "secret tactics" or "special foods" are used. The reality is that, for the most part, getting in shape is an epic test of consistency, will, discipline, and diligence. There are no short-cuts. If someone lacks the incredibly high degree of motivation and resolve to succeed, it's not gonna happen.

"The more extreme the methods used to achieve fat loss... the more extreme the rebound will be. Lose it slow, eat a variety of foods, and diet on as many calories as you can. When you are done, SLOWLY add calories back in. Few people actually do this and that is why ~95% of diets fail to produce long term fat loss."

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 11:39:36 PM »
So you'll post a graph of your skinfold measurements but you have never posted an actual picture of yourself?  Oh brother, everyone can see you're all talk

And spare me the "I'm not interested in posting pictures for men" response... that's a cop-out and you know it

Fair is fair, childish "post a picture or I call bs" comments deserve childish responses.

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2014, 06:46:14 AM »
It's not that complicated. Go watch the show "Naked And Afraid"

One month and most of them eat NOTHING. They lose minimal amounts of muscle relative to fat.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica

Galvatron

• Getbig III
  • I have contacts in Washington
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
As much as I don't like arrogant Layne Norton, he has credentials and also a reputation to live up to, so I happen to believe what he and other guys like Alan Aragon have to say about dieting. Do you disagree with anything they've said here?

As I said it depends. For example, a very obese person can drop calories very aggressively from the start of diet to get the fat loss going and to create a positive momentum (=they get motivated when they start seeing results quickly) then later on they can reduce the caloric deficit and use a more moderate approach.

Or someone who is lean can for a short time use an aggressive approach if he for whatever reason needs to drop fat quickly. Will there be a higher risk of a rebound? Yes, but if for example the person is dieting for a wedding/specific date it might be worth it anyways. The goal might not be long term fat loss.

I can mention several more scenarios but the point is that you have to consider a bunch of factors (time frame/starting point/psychology/contest prep or not etc etc) so the answer will be: it depends.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
Get rid of fat is something that just should get done!

U can choose to make it long or short!

END OF DISCUSSION!

U could probably just quit your fucking weighttraining for 2 moths and just focus on cardio 3houers/Day. When the fat is gone, u could begine to lift again! "LOSING MASS" is just fucking bullshit! MASS = fat water and muscles filled with carbs!

U will notice this once u tried to diet several times with several methods. U will alwaysend up at the same bodyweight no matter how u do it! If u do drugs its another story!

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2014, 08:23:21 AM »
Dude is fat.

Yeah! Great! Listen to the fat man on roids, he seem to know it all... ::)

Rule Nr 1. If people cant take care of their own bodies, they should shut the fuck up! It u cant practice what you learn on your own body why the hell should anyone listen to u...