Author Topic: Pec strain  (Read 2984 times)

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
Pec strain
« on: August 03, 2015, 06:33:51 AM »
Left peck had a sharp pain on the 5th set of flat bench press in the upper outer part in between top part of peck and middle region is not ripped or torn just had a sharp pain and ended the training session.  Now it just feels tight has happened before takes about 3 weeks to get 100% if I lay off. And ease back into chest training light again wasn't using stupid weight 8-10 rep range!!!
Anybody else get his type of strain? I had my left hamstring do it to me about 6 months ago as well

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Pec strain
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:04:05 AM »
leave out the Flat press do Declines.. this underrated exercise is not only a shoulder saver but has been shown to stimulate the whole pec. Indeed it was in 1st place over Flat press(2nd) and Incline press(3rd) in a study from sporthochschule Köln... who are really up to date with research. as far as the injury goes sounds like you know your own body..i would wait a week then do Declines if still painful go to a sport Doctor. could be that you have shortend chest muscles and need more balanced training and work more on lats/stretches. I had this myself, solution was to really hit upper back.

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 07:46:16 AM »
Hmmm upper back that's crazy how'd u figure that shit out? Lol I mainly do incline with a bar rarely do flat press but it felt awesome until the tweak happened I never do declines really anything accept dips mayb that's my imbalance

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 07:55:27 AM »
Hmmm upper back that's crazy how'd u figure that shit out? Lol I mainly do incline with a bar rarely do flat press but it felt awesome until the tweak happened I never do declines really anything accept dips mayb that's my imbalance
you wrote flat bench.. it sounds to me like muscle imbalance as you have problems in your Hammies too.. assuming you are more Quad dominant. just my opinion. Believe me most Guys train more chest than back  ;) how do i know ? i see it every Day in the Gym.

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:06:40 AM »
Ah lol yea I've been doing back twice a week for about a year back is solid! The flat press this time wasn't my idea but I thought hell why not change up normally I do not do it Unless with dbells it has finally been kicked off my rotation...also I've been doing deep walking lunges long steps with a barbell on my back after squats it seems to hit my hammies a lot better than just squats and also more sldls and deadlifts I've been doing a lot of havnt had any more troubles with my hams feeling wierd since actually training them directly. This injury isn't really serious I'll have to go light for mayb a month on chest but it'll b fine just want to avoid doing this type of shit minor set backs r a pain. I guess it comes with the territory I do not know anybody who has lifted for a decade without some type of problems. I do ok and educate my self the best I can

CDel19

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 08:13:30 AM »
I curse the day I started messing w flat bench  did a lot when younger now was doing 315 x5 and I have partial pec tear and won't be the same :'(

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »
I saw your thread! Fuck well that does it the bench press is out from now on. Mine has no pain today but im sure if I trained chest now it would aggravate it just gonna have to pump my chest up from now on no more man handling the flat press

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:56:50 AM »
That sharp pain in the pec might be a pinched (blocked or obstructive) nerve, fairly common. Any muscle pain is not always caused by a potential muscle injury it's self. A neck & trap massage have helped many with nerve problems. Some men have discovered that a sudden sharp pain around the pec's, when working out, in not a heart attack but a pinched nerve (or nerves).

Benching with a  barbell does not allow the natural torque  of the hand/wrist, and in return may cause stress on the elbows and should girdle. In other words, the hand/wrist should be able to twist a bit during the press to avoid a potential injury. An example might be that when a boxer throws a straight punch, the fist/wrist is twisting to generate much more power in that punch.Breaking a board (martial arts style) might be another example, with the turning of the hand strongly suggested.   Now some guy's can get away with benching with a BB, but the majority will run into a problem with the joints and the unneeded tension produced...usually as they age. Or insist on going to failure every workout, wilh that applied unneeded extra stress.

With DB's, a more natural path is followed, with a slight twist of the hands/wrist. There is not a set or fixed rigidity to the grip/hand placement, allowing that national motion. Trouble with DB's, most will be limited to the amount of weight hoisted up to the shoulder/chest to do justice to the pressing muscles (pec's/delts/triceps and the upper back). Most guys are capable of using a pair of moderate 120-140's after a while..problem being, to get them into position. Going to have to have a couple of spotters on each side, which probably is not going to make them too happy lifting the DB's into place. Getting to a higher range (180-200), for me, was out of the question...too much hassle having spotters getting the DB's into position. Making too much demand on them, really...not fair to them.

Might suggest parallel dips, my view only, but a better recruitment for the chest, shoulders and the triceps. Because with dips, you are pressing down and along side the body,rather than out and away from the body. Check out gymnast for the benefits of many version of dipping. Adding chins (in many versions also) with dips can give an exceptions body and strength. Can had as much weight as needed with a dipping belt or harness.  Or just rep out many sets, pure BB'ing style.

I have done GVT (10X10's) with dips and chins as the only two exercises in a workout with excellent results. Have also SS'ed dips & chins (GVT again) as a different approach to a fast timed workout.

Good Luck.

F

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:48:23 AM »
I do a lot of dips! thanks for the advise and the barbell flat press is gonna just have to b a long lost friend to me from now on.

CDel19

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 10:21:50 AM »
flat bench is the egos friend and when youre hurt it destroys your ego lol

pestosterone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 06:36:12 AM »
Yes quit doing dangerous who lifts I don't get shit out of that.im thinking my problem was hitting chest 2x week not enough recovery for a period of time and lead to this backing of total volume and going to move towards the one set to real failure rule one muscle a week and concentrate on this type of training I need a change. I'm thinking I can do better for my self only thing that worries me is gaining fat with less training so I'm going to have to devote more time to cardio and pay close attention to my diet and track shit instead of being allover the place. I'm going to try to put on size

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 09:06:37 AM »
The BB bench can be useful, in moderation, as a taste of variety in any chest workout. If feeling no discomfort, than consider it as an addition to a good sound training protocol. Hand spacing can be important, finding the correct position where the grip will feel more nature to you. Forget about the other guy, and his benching style, find out what suits you the best.  Might be extra wide grip, wide medium or a closer grip..all depends on you body leverage (bone length/muscle inserts) in the long run. Even a matter of a few inches in grip could make a world of difference.

One of the main causes of joint (shoulder/elbow/wrist) injuries in benching (or just about every other exercise) is trying to go to complete failure in every workout. This only puts extra stress on an already stressed muscle point. Might be able to handle the pounding of going to complete failure for a time, but soon or later it will catch up with those former healthy joints and muscle inserts. What ever they show in those video's, most top BB'ers do not got to failure every set. they know better. They want to be around for a long time, without unneeded training injury's.  1 or 2 reps  before reaching a point of failure seem to work best for them.

What to check the benching progress, that try every 2nd or better still 3rd week, going for that max effort. That's what top PL'ers do. And top PL'ers rarely goto  complete failure in every training period.

Good luck

F