Author Topic: What is killing natural bodybuilding  (Read 17852 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
What is killing natural bodybuilding
« on: March 24, 2006, 05:51:18 PM »
I sincerely wish drug free bodybuilding would be the standard for our sport. Sadly, if we are honest it is light years behind the UN -tested NPC shows and IFBB pro events, why?
1. For UN- tested bodybuilders, the NPC is pretty much it and accounts for over 90% of all UN-tested shows.
Natural organizations are so numerous, that we lack any unity of central sanction. The natural bodybuilding pie ie being sliced up into several really small slices.Over the past few years, many of these same organizations offered pro classes. It sounded like a good idea but with the "pro" natural being such a haphazzard, whatever the organizer says it is, has watered down the value of "pro natural" as a viable tool for a natural bodybuilder to gain recognition.
We need unity, compromise and admit that we need one chief to lead our tribe.
Perhaps a vote?

2. Drug testing? The standards vary so much and are so inconsistant, it really hurts the repuation of the bodybuilding drug test. the polygraph has NO legal enforement as no physical evidence exists, and it is NOT allowed in a court of law, etc. Urine testing for some specific banned substances of the top guys and gals in the show is the only practical way to go and should the uniform standard.
Yes, the polygraph seems more convenient and enables a promoter to "test"  everyone prior to the show, but easy, and quick is not the best thing in this and many other cases.
I know, that testing just the winners and top places seem unfair to those who place in the lower spots, but think about that idea. If the best in the shpw had to be drug free andsome Joe Blow is on something and gets 4th place, well DRUGS were not the main factor in winning the show. I mean c'mon, if the best guy is clean and blows away those that cheat a bit, then it proves the best in the show was built by good genetics and natural means.
Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
Re: What is killing natural bodybuilding
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 11:41:57 PM »
What's killing natural bodybuilding are all the little shits who think its "impossible" to reach a certain size or strength level without steroids.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 05:02:27 AM »
Natural Bodybuilding is alot like a McDonalds Diet...It just doesn't work!

IronGame

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 05:52:40 AM »
It is human nature to want a competitive advantage. This is why the use of drugs has spread to virtually every sport.
white belt for life

Prime

• Getbig IV
  • The force is strong in this'un
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 03:22:26 PM »
Actually there are some good natural fed's that are getting better every year and are quite recognised.  There's then INBF, the WNBF, over here in the UK there's the BNBF and the NPA.
[img]http://ima

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 05:53:23 PM »
It is human nature to want a competitive advantage. This is why the use of drugs has spread to virtually every sport.

Yeah, but sooner or later a bunch of these guys are going to start dying and pro bodybuilding is going to get a closer look from politicians, law enforcement etc.. Then these pro's will talk like little birdies.
The House that Ruth built

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 09:30:51 PM »
HowieW,

I really enjoyed your post. So just a comment… The reason that “natural Bodybuilding” is not taking off is because 99 percent of men that work out with a desire for more and more muscle mass will just not get it naturally…

All the training and dieting will not assist most individuals to build muscle. Generally, extra-ordinary muscle development is very difficult if not impossible. Most individuals do not have the genetics to build good muscle tissue. Yes, there are a few genetically advantage individuals that grow no matter what, but they are far and few between. Hence, drugs. They work, they help, and they will assist a genetically disadvantage individual to overcome genetic disadvantages that he or she has.. And, they are relatively safe if used appropriately…

As “Johnny Apollo” stated “It just doesn't work!” for most!!

I guess it comes down to an individual’s preference. Women use steroid drugs for recreational sex (and most men do not complain), other drugs and medical techniques are used to enhance physical defects and aid physical perfection. Why not use medically developed drugs to aid sports and physical enhancement? An individual’s choice by the way.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant..

Mark1

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 12:36:35 AM »
2 guys I know go out and party every weekend by taking drugs and drinking heavily and are still making great gains on the juice. 1 of them has put on a lean 10 kilos in 3 months and he doesnt even train that hard. This is his first course that I know of.
How can you compare? Hes gained more in a couple of months than he would have training hard as a natty over a couple of years. Then again his organs will probably be fucked by all the crap hes taking with it.

IronGame

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 04:11:43 AM »

Yeah, but sooner or later a bunch of these guys are going to start dying and pro bodybuilding is going to get a closer look from politicians, law enforcement etc.. Then these pro's will talk like little birdies.

I am not speaking of just pro bodybuilding but almost EVERY professional sport. Bodybuilding has already had deaths, and near deaths, but nobody really gives a shit because it is not mainstream.  What is likely to get the feds attention, is the increased use of gear among teenagers in mainstream sports.
white belt for life

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 04:28:48 AM »
Natural bodybuilding is not as interesting as non tested bodybuilding... plain and simple.

I am natural myself, so not slamming nattys, but no one really wants to sit around and watch 190lb guys.

How many threads do you see on this board discussing the WNBF worlds compared to those discussing the Olympia? No one even wants to post about it, let alone go and watch it.

Majority of top level athletes in any sport use, those who do not believe this are naive. When we watch NFL, NBA, Olympics, Tour de France, Wimbeldon etc.. do you really think you are watching 'natural' athletes?

That being said, IMO natural female BB has a far greater promotability that non tested female BB.

IronGame

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 08:30:42 AM »
Exactly!  People want to see a freak show, comic book characters that have come to life. 
white belt for life

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 11:49:32 AM »
the prerequisite u need to be 4% bodyfat. honestly i porefered in arnieds day u look lean as ghell without being peeled. also it wud look more impressive bigger competitors etc

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 03:11:24 PM »
Nothing is killing natural bodybuilding.
"Shut the F up and train"

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 03:16:16 PM »
What is killing Natural Bodybuilding?

This...

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 08:37:56 AM »
I would have to agree with Johnny on this.  People just wanna see the freakness.  Thats what they will pay to see. 

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 07:11:39 PM »
Damn Ronnie lol
"Shut the F up and train"

fitt@40

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 02:43:50 AM »
Natural bodybuilding is not as interesting as non tested bodybuilding... plain and simple.

I am natural myself, so not slamming nattys, but no one really wants to sit around and watch 190lb guys.

How many threads do you see on this board discussing the WNBF worlds compared to those discussing the Olympia? No one even wants to post about it, let alone go and watch it.

Majority of top level athletes in any sport use, those who do not believe this are naive. When we watch NFL, NBA, Olympics, Tour de France, Wimbeldon etc.. do you really think you are watching 'natural' athletes?

That being said, IMO natural female BB has a far greater promotability that non tested female BB.

I agree with this post.  I, too, am a natural lifter, but I do understand that most do not want to see our us in competition. 

CQ, stay natural. 

Crazykid909

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 02:25:30 PM »
I agree with everyone that says it is the public that is affecting natural bodybuilding. People want to see the 300 lb monsters on stage.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »
I agree with everyone that says it is the public that is affecting natural bodybuilding. People want to see the 300 lb monsters on stage.

You also have to remember that a lot of the better natural bodybuilders can hold their own at the open shows, especially in the smaller weight classes.

Marvin Ward has won his class at the Nationals, twice. And, he's the only bantamweight to win an overall title at the national level (2000 Team Universe).

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 03:14:29 PM »
I would have to agree with Johnny on this.  People just wanna see the freakness.  Thats what they will pay to see. 

Yes, but bodybuilding is backing itself into such a corner. The sport is contracting instead of growing. Until the mid 80's there were contests covered by the National TV networks. I don't think there are any casual bodybuilding fans. Even bicycle racing has fans who don't ride bikes. The only bodybuilding fans are guys who lift. An incredibly small segment of the population. I am not counting the muscle worshipping fags because they aren't real fans.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 03:23:20 PM »
What's killing natural bodybuilding are all the little shits who think its "impossible" to reach a certain size or strength level without steroids.
Right on, brianX
hahahahahahahahahahahah
follow the arrows

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 01:23:27 AM »
Yes, but bodybuilding is backing itself into such a corner. The sport is contracting instead of growing. Until the mid 80's there were contests covered by the National TV networks. I don't think there are any casual bodybuilding fans. Even bicycle racing has fans who don't ride bikes. The only bodybuilding fans are guys who lift. An incredibly small segment of the population. I am not counting the muscle worshipping fags because they aren't real fans.

Bodybuilding is not following the example set by its most famous son, Arnold Schwarzenegger. It is not reaching out to the public at large. In the name of being "hardcore", bodybuilding has slumped back into the corner. Remember American Muscle on ESPN? GONE!!! Remember Bodyshaping with Cory Everson on ESPN? GONE!!! Remember Totalee Fit with Lee Haney? No longer on ESPN (Haney still has a fitness show, but it comes on TBN and airs only in Georgia).

It's not a case of aesthetics-vs.-mass-monsters. I can remember reading my Muscle & Fitness magazines in high school. Someone would look at my magazine and see pics of guys like Lee Labrada and Shawn Ray (when he competed under 200 lbs). and do the usual "That's gross; he's too big" routine.

Our culture boasts more fat people than ever before. Even PE classes in public schools have gone south. I think as people have downplayed the importance of physical fitness, they have also shown even less interest in bodybuilding.

That may also be a reason why fitness shows are bowing to figure competitions.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 05:30:26 AM »
Bodybuilding is not following the example set by its most famous son, Arnold Schwarzenegger. It is not reaching out to the public at large. In the name of being "hardcore", bodybuilding has slumped back into the corner. Remember American Muscle on ESPN? GONE!!! Remember Bodyshaping with Cory Everson on ESPN? GONE!!! Remember Totalee Fit with Lee Haney? No longer on ESPN (Haney still has a fitness show, but it comes on TBN and airs only in Georgia).

When I worked nights I watched those shows every morning.

FAME 2006

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 08:12:45 AM »
I actually disagree that natural bodybuilding is dying. I really thing that there is one organization that is helping to grow natural bodybuilding/fitness and figure.

That organization is FAME! For the World Bodybuilding championships being held June 15th-18th In Toronto, Ontario, Canada we expect over 1000 athletes, and over 20,000 fitness enthusiasts in attendance.

We have over 50 shows in the states, and many internation shows as well. We are constantly adding shows each and every year.

FAME has rigerous drug screening tests to ensure that each athlete is clean of any banned substances, and that there is an even playing field.

If your interested in competing check out this link www.FAMEevent.com or www.wowFAME.com
if you want to compete or attend the world championships

Natural Bodybuilding is not dead my friends, it is alive and kicking! :)

Train Hard, Train Natural!

Trevor

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 12:25:58 PM »

That may also be a reason why fitness shows are bowing to figure competitions.

I'm not sure I understand what this statement means.  Are you saying that Figure is a bad thing? 
Jennifer