Author Topic: President Trump  (Read 83773 times)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Re: President Trump
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »

Trump supporters are protesting Starbucks with the #TrumpCup campaign

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- Trump supporters are protesting against Starbucks for alleged political and anti-white discrimination. Supporters are ordering their drinks under Trump's name as an attempt to get Starbucks baristas to yell "Trump" in stores. Supporters have also been sharing photos of their "TrumpCups" online.

The #TrumpCup movement took off last Wednesday after a video of a Trump supporter yelling at a Starbucks barista went viral. The man in the video claims that he was racially and politically discriminated against because he is white and he voted for Donald Trump.

CNN reported a Starbucks spokesperson responded to the controversy saying, "Over the years, writing customer names on cups and calling out their names has been a fun ritual in our stores. Rarely has it been abused or taken advantage of. We hope and trust that our customers will continue to honor that tradition."

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2016, 11:40:45 AM »
Interesting to find that Rediff (not to be confused with Reddit) says Tulsi Gabbard did in fact end up claiming a vote for Hillary.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2016, 01:33:17 PM »

Trump supporters are protesting Starbucks with the #TrumpCup campaign

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- Trump supporters are protesting against Starbucks for alleged political and anti-white discrimination. Supporters are ordering their drinks under Trump's name as an attempt to get Starbucks baristas to yell "Trump" in stores. Supporters have also been sharing photos of their "TrumpCups" online.

The #TrumpCup movement took off last Wednesday after a video of a Trump supporter yelling at a Starbucks barista went viral. The man in the video claims that he was racially and politically discriminated against because he is white and he voted for Donald Trump.

CNN reported a Starbucks spokesperson responded to the controversy saying, "Over the years, writing customer names on cups and calling out their names has been a fun ritual in our stores. Rarely has it been abused or taken advantage of. We hope and trust that our customers will continue to honor that tradition."
Lol

kogba

• Getbig II
  • Grab the pussy
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2016, 02:26:47 PM »

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2016, 08:52:29 AM »
a

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2016, 04:42:43 PM »
Donald Trump urges Americans to move past divisions and unite in Thanksgiving message

FLORIDA (AFP) - US President-elect Donald Trump acknowledged that a "long and bruising" presidential campaign had left emotions raw and tensions high, but urged America to come together on its Thanksgiving holiday. In a YouTube video address on Wednesday (Nov 23) from his Florida golf resort, the 70-year-old tycoon said: "It is my prayer, that on this Thanksgiving, we begin to heal our divisions and move forward as one country, strengthened by a shared purpose and very, very common resolve." Mr Trump will spend Thursday's holiday with part of his family in the Mar-a-Lago resort outside Palm Beach before returning to the job of picking nominees for the new US administration taking over on Jan 20.

Some of his earlier choices have fed existing concerns among minority groups and the Republican's liberal opponents he will lead a divisive government, concerned only with his white conservative base. "We have just finished a long and bruising political campaign. Emotions are raw and tensions just don't heal overnight," Mr Trump admitted. "It doesn't go quickly, unfortunately, but we have before us the chance now to make history together to bring real change to Washington, real safety to our cities, and real prosperity to our communities, including our inner cities.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2016, 02:20:28 PM »
Lost his mind?  Fake story?  Yes to the first, no to the second. (apparently)

Marketing Firm CEO Tells Trump Supporters He Doesn't Need Their Business

(KOB4 News) The CEO of an Albuquerque-based internet marketing firm asked his clients to openly state their political attitudes and then urged Trump supporters to take their business elsewhere.

Donald Trump's victory has exacerbated deep divisions within the country, and created a great deal of bitterness among some supporters of his presidential rival, Hillary Clinton. In the latest development, CEO of an Albuquerque-based SEO firm Mathew Blanchfield issued an official letter to his customers stating that his company will no longer serve the supporters of the Republican president-elect.

"If you are a Republican, voted for Donald Trump or support Donald Trump, in any manner, you are not welcome at 1st In SEO and we ask you to leave our firm," Blanchfield wrote in a letter.

It should be noted that Blanchfield has not only expressed the company's political allegiance, but also insisted that all his clients should do the same.

"We ask you, our current clients, to please respond to this letter and confirm where you stand politically. If you are a Republican or support Trump, we will no longer serve you," he wrote.

The letter states the company will continue to serve its "Democrat and Progressive" clientele.

In an interview with a local news outlet, Blanchfield said that it is his "moral obligation" to stand up for what he thinks is right. Commercial profits and even business loss, on the other hand, concerns him little.

"It is my firm belief that we elected a fascist as our next president," he said.

"The expense financially to me is immaterial," he added.

The response of the company's board of directors remains undisclosed.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2016, 08:26:55 AM »
Hmm..Yet, Christians must bake cakes for homosexual marriages? Odd.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2016, 11:31:05 AM »
Hmm..Yet, Christians must bake cakes for homosexual marriages? Odd.

Damn fine point, mazrim.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2016, 06:15:29 PM »

YouTube User Behind Barron Trump ‘Autism’ Video Responds To Lawsuit Threat

YouTube user James Hunter, who created the viral video speculating that Barron Trump might be autistic, has responded to Melania Trump threatening to sue him. In a statement released exclusively to Gossip Cop, Hunter assures us he “never meant to hurt” the Trump family and “just wanted to bring light to the autism epidemic.”

As Gossip Cop reported, Melania threatened a lawsuit against Hunter for making the autism video alleging her 10-year-old son might have the condition, and demanded it be taken down. Charles Harder, an attorney for Donald Trump and the future First Lady, stated in his legal letter that Barron isn’t autistic and the claim otherwise is completely false. Gossip Cop reached out to Hunter about the matter, and he tells us, “I’m honestly kinda scared right now. The only reason I made the video is because I saw how much social media was bullying Barron Trump, and I wanted it to stop. I’d be really sad if I’ve made the situation worse, but I never could’ve imagined that the video would get so much press.”

The originator of the video continued, “I was just sending it privately to people who were bullying him to explain to them that Barron might be autistic, and that’s it isn’t okay to bully him for it, because I know what it’s like to be bullied for being autistic. But then Rosie O’Donnell shared it and it blew up.” He went on to reveal, “I myself am on the spectrum, and I honestly just wanted to bring light to the autism epidemic. I have a lot of respect for Melania Trump. I believe she’s a very smart and I’ll think she’ll be a great First Lady.”

Hunter concluded, “I never ever meant to hurt her family or her son. If this is actually true, and if I actually see a real statement of her asking me to remove it, I will. I NEVER meant to hurt their family. I just with them the best.”

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2016, 03:57:22 PM »

Trump in Bedminster, waiting to greet friend Giuliani

Trump heads back out on the road

WASHINGTON - Don’t call it a victory tour.

But President-elect Donald Trump will begin what his team is calling a “thank you tour” Thursday.

The transition team hasn’t released details yet but Trump could visit Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Florida, states that flipped from Democrat to Republican in the 2016 election.

Trump is expected to kick off the trip with a campaign-style rally at the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati.

During the presidential campaign, Trump drew thousands of people to his rallies across the country. He has spent most of his time since the election at Trump Tower in New York, where he is interviewing people for various administration appointments.

(San Luis Obispo Local)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2016, 04:24:38 PM »
Then discuss it with him privately, Newt.  Just because he didn't immediately "appoint" you Permanent Master of the Universe...

Newt Gingrich criticizes Trump for baseless tweet that 'millions of people' voted illegally

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a top ally to President-elect Donald Trump, criticized the real-estate magnate Tuesday for baselessly tweeting over the weekend that "millions of people" voted "illegally" in an election he won.

In an interview with USA Today, Gingrich said such a tweet "makes you wonder about whatever else he's doing."

"The president of the United States can't randomly tweet without having somebody check it out," Gingrich said, later adding, "It undermines much more than a single tweet."

The former House speaker said later that Trump should not give up tweeting, however.

"He should tweet, but he ought to have an editorial board in-between the first draft and sending it," he suggested. "But he shouldn't give it up, and he shouldn't give up being Donald Trump. He got elected being this unique, charismatic, entrepreneurial guy who breaks lots of rules. ... If he starts getting to be normal, he'll cease being Donald J. Trump."

Top election officials from three states targeted by Trump in his tweets — California, Virginia, and New Hampshire — called Trump's assertion that massive voter fraud occurred in each "unfounded" and "unsubstantiated."

Gingrich also described a recent meeting he held with Trump, saying the president-elect told him that "this is really a bigger job than I thought."

"Which is good," Gingrich said. "He should think that ... you have war and peace, you have enormous powers ... and it all comes down to the Oval Office and it all comes down to you."

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2016, 04:32:43 PM »
Then discuss it with him privately, Newt.  Just because he didn't immediately "appoint" you Permanent Master of the Universe...

Newt Gingrich criticizes Trump for baseless tweet that 'millions of people' voted illegally

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a top ally to President-elect Donald Trump, criticized the real-estate magnate Tuesday for baselessly tweeting over the weekend that "millions of people" voted "illegally" in an election he won.

In an interview with USA Today, Gingrich said such a tweet "makes you wonder about whatever else he's doing."

"The president of the United States can't randomly tweet without having somebody check it out," Gingrich said, later adding, "It undermines much more than a single tweet."

The former House speaker said later that Trump should not give up tweeting, however.

"He should tweet, but he ought to have an editorial board in-between the first draft and sending it," he suggested. "But he shouldn't give it up, and he shouldn't give up being Donald Trump. He got elected being this unique, charismatic, entrepreneurial guy who breaks lots of rules. ... If he starts getting to be normal, he'll cease being Donald J. Trump."

Top election officials from three states targeted by Trump in his tweets — California, Virginia, and New Hampshire — called Trump's assertion that massive voter fraud occurred in each "unfounded" and "unsubstantiated."

Gingrich also described a recent meeting he held with Trump, saying the president-elect told him that "this is really a bigger job than I thought."

"Which is good," Gingrich said. "He should think that ... you have war and peace, you have enormous powers ... and it all comes down to the Oval Office and it all comes down to you."

I nominate Newt as Trump's Twitter bitch.
a

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2016, 06:02:31 PM »
Tucker Carlson against the Internet Marketing CEO who refuses to serve those that support Trump "in any manner at all" (story posted on this page)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2016, 11:11:48 AM »

Donald Trump comments on Ohio State University stabbing attack

President-elect Donald Trump weighed in on the Ohio State University attack in a tweet early Wednesday morning, claiming that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) was “taking credit” for the attack. The tweet also claimed that the suspect, a Somali refugee, “should not have been in our country.”

ISIS is taking credit for the terrible stabbing attack at Ohio State University by a Somali refugee who should not have been in our country.
5:20 AM - 30 Nov 2016

The Monday attack left 11 injured and the suspect, identified by officials as Abdul Razak Ali Artan, dead. Artan was a legal permanent resident and student at the university. He and his family arrived in the U.S. as refugees from Somalia in 2014.

ISIS has praised the attack, according to a self-described news agency for the terrorist organization. The group called Artan a “soldier of the Islamic State” who had “carried out the operation in response to calls to target citizens of international coalition countries.” But ISIS has used that phrasing to describe other violent actors without laying specific claim to the act itself.  And so far, investigators say there are no indications that Artan had direct connections to ISIS or al Qaeda. Investigators suspect he was inspired by a mix of terrorist ideologies and that’s what sparked him to act “out of the blue”.

U.S. Rep. Adam Schiff, a California Democrat who sits on the House Intelligence Committee, issued a statement Tuesday evening saying it appeared Artan had been radicalized online. Schiff stated, however, that there was no evidence yet that he was communicating with radical terror organizations overseas.

The tweet comes days after the president-elect issued a measured statement on the stabbing.  

On Monday, Mr. Trump said his “thoughts and prayers are with all of the students and administration.” He also praised the “excellent job” of OSU’s first responders and emergency management team.

During his presidential campaign, Mr. Trump had slammed U.S. policies towards refugees from terror hot spots, who he said could be “Trojan horse(s)” for the country.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
a

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2016, 12:20:54 PM »

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »

Donald Trump comments on Ohio State University stabbing attack

President-elect Donald Trump weighed in on the Ohio State University attack in a tweet early Wednesday morning, claiming that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) was “taking credit” for the attack. The tweet also claimed that the suspect, a Somali refugee, “should not have been in our country.”

The Monday attack left 11 injured and the suspect, identified by officials as Abdul Razak Ali Artan, dead. Artan was a legal permanent resident and student at the university. He and his family arrived in the U.S. as refugees from Somalia in 2014.

ISIS has praised the attack, according to a self-described news agency for the terrorist organization. The group called Artan a “soldier of the Islamic State” who had “carried out the operation in response to calls to target citizens of international coalition countries.” But ISIS has used that phrasing to describe other violent actors without laying specific claim to the act itself.  And so far, investigators say there are no indications that Artan had direct connections to ISIS or al Qaeda. Investigators suspect he was inspired by a mix of terrorist ideologies and that’s what sparked him to act “out of the blue”.

U.S. Rep. Adam Schiff, a California Democrat who sits on the House Intelligence Committee, issued a statement Tuesday evening saying it appeared Artan had been radicalized online. Schiff stated, however, that there was no evidence yet that he was communicating with radical terror organizations overseas.

The tweet comes days after the president-elect issued a measured statement on the stabbing.  

On Monday, Mr. Trump said his “thoughts and prayers are with all of the students and administration.” He also praised the “excellent job” of OSU’s first responders and emergency management team.

During his presidential campaign, Mr. Trump had slammed U.S. policies towards refugees from terror hot spots, who he said could be “Trojan horse(s)” for the country.

Thank god it was Somali. That probably limited the victims of that barbarous attack.
Middle east is already few shades less dark:

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2016, 12:31:47 PM »
On Thanksgiving Day, I noticed Trump was working on Carrier to "save" American jobs.

As it stands, right now, approximately 1000 jobs in Indiana have been preserved thanks to Trump's effort.  Jobs that would have disappeared to the uncontrolled black hole of the Third World.  Thank you so very much, Mr. President. (On and since November 8, I stopped recognizing Mr. NAFTA/TPP/anti-JASTA as president... GTFO, you traitor.)

By the way, Trump's success in Indiana was fulfillment of a campaign promise, but he knows it isn't practical to make a routine of it.  That's why he wants trade to be properly handled.  

He knows, too, how badly we've been damaged by NAFTA and that rebuilding isn't possible without proper trade.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2016, 12:51:50 PM »
Thank god it was Somali. That probably limited the victims of that barbarous attack.
Middle east is already few shades less dark:

Funny thing about people from that region, is that they use a certain sort of leaf (khat and similar names) which makes them essentially crazy by late afternoon, after chewing it all day.  Their communities, here, do the same.  It's imported with ease through produce markets etc.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2016, 01:10:59 PM »
As was reported here on GB: Trump has removed himself from appearances of conflicting interest.  Completely expected and necessary.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2016, 02:09:03 PM »
Coming up is an attempted merge between ATT and Time Warner, which Trump has said he'll block.  Let's see what he does.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2016, 05:14:45 PM »
Some WTF stuff from Newt, regarding the most recent Trump-Romney meeting:

You have never, ever, in your career seen a wealthy adult who is independent, has been a presidential candidate, suck up at the rate that Mitt Romney is sucking up.

I am confident that he thinks now that he and Donald Trump are the best of friends, they have so many things in common. That they're both such wise, brilliant people. And I'm sure last night at an elegant three-star restaurant, he was happy to share his version of populism, which involve a little foie gras, a certain amount of superb cooking, but put that in a populist happy manner.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2016, 09:17:18 AM »
I believe Trump knows it isn't a practical long-term strategy, but that he was determined to make a good show on his promise in due time.

Bernie Sanders: Carrier just showed corporations how to beat Donald Trump

Today, about 1,000 Carrier workers and their families should be rejoicing. But the rest of our nation’s workers should be very nervous.

President-elect Donald Trump will reportedly announce a deal with United Technologies, the corporation that owns Carrier, that keeps less than 1,000 of the 2100 jobs in America that were previously scheduled to be transferred to Mexico. Let’s be clear: It is not good enough to save some of these jobs. Trump made a promise that he would save all of these jobs, and we cannot rest until an ironclad contract is signed to ensure that all of these workers are able to continue working in Indiana without having their pay or benefits slashed.

In exchange for allowing United Technologies to continue to offshore more than 1,000 jobs, Trump will reportedly give the company tax and regulatory favors that the corporation has sought. Just a short few months ago, Trump was pledging to force United Technologies to “pay a damn tax.” He was insisting on very steep tariffs for companies like Carrier that left the United States and wanted to sell their foreign-made products back in the United States. Instead of a damn tax, the company will be rewarded with a damn tax cut. Wow! How’s that for standing up to corporate greed? How’s that for punishing corporations that shut down in the United States and move abroad?

In essence, United Technologies took Trump hostage and won. And that should send a shock wave of fear through all workers across the country.

Trump has endangered the jobs of workers who were previously safe in the United States. Why? Because he has signaled to every corporation in America that they can threaten to offshore jobs in exchange for business-friendly tax benefits and incentives. Even corporations that weren’t thinking of offshoring jobs will most probably be re-evaluating their stance this morning. And who would pay for the high cost for tax cuts that go to the richest businessmen in America? The working class of America.  

Let’s be clear. United Technologies is not going broke. Last year, it made a profit of $7.6 billion and received more than $6 billion in defense contracts. It has also received more than $50 million from the Export-Import Bank and very generous tax breaks. In 2014, United Technologies gave its former chief executive Louis Chenevert a golden parachute worth more than $172 million. Last year, the company’s five highest-paid executives made more than $50 million. The firm also spent $12 billion to inflate its stock price instead of using that money to invest in new plants and workers.

Does that sound like a company that deserves more corporate welfare from our government? Trump’s Band-Aid solution is only making the problem of wealth inequality in America even worse.

I said I would work with Trump if he was serious about the promises he made to members of the working class. But after running a campaign pledging to be tough on corporate America, Trump has hypocritically decided to do the exact opposite. He wants to treat corporate irresponsibility with kid gloves. The problem with our rigged economy is not that our policies have been too tough on corporations; it’s that we haven’t been tough enough.

We need to re-instill an ethic of corporate patriotism. We need to send a very loud and clear message to corporate America: The era of outsourcing is over. Instead of offshoring jobs, the time has come for you to start bringing good-paying jobs back to America.

If United Technologies or any other company wants to keep outsourcing decent-paying American jobs, those companies must pay an outsourcing tax equal to the amount of money it expects to save by moving factories to Mexico or other low-wage countries.  They should not receive federal contracts or other forms of corporate welfare.  They must pay back all of the tax breaks and other corporate welfare they have received from the federal government. And they must not be allowed to reward their executives with stock options, bonuses or golden parachutes for outsourcing jobs to low-wage countries. I will soon be introducing the Outsourcing Prevention Act, which will address exactly that.

If Donald Trump won’t stand up for America’s working class, we must.

(Bernie Sanders Guest Opinion --WP)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2016, 09:40:35 AM »

A danger for Donald Trump: Falling into the mayor trap

Donald Trump hasn't even taken office yet and he's already fulfilled a campaign promise. This week, he struck a deal to save 1,000 jobs at a Carrier air-conditioner factory in Indianapolis. This factory became a campaign issue when a leaked video showed management announcing that the plant would close and move to Mexico, with 1,400 unionized American workers losing their jobs. The deal gives a glimpse of Trump's potential governing style—a style shaped by his professional background as a New York City real-estate developer.

Trump thinks big and is a master of complex deal-making. He has a project orientation, seeks to maximize his PR value, focuses on brand-building and increasing brand value, and boasts of his cost efficiency and operational excellence. Trump really did save that late, mismanaged, and over-budget Wollman Rink project in Central Park, finishing in mere months a renovation that had dragged on for four years. He really did spend far less than both his primary opponents and Hillary Clinton during the election. And now he really has cut a deal to save Carrier. “Trump buildings are extremely well managed. Like it or not, he does a good job,” the head of a real-estate brokerage told Crain's New York.  

The challenge for Trump is that this operational orientation translates imperfectly to the presidency. Trump may have run a large business empire, but it's small enough—even now—for him personally to oversee deals and projects. The presidency isn't like that. There's no way he can govern effectively by involving himself in deals relating to individual factories or infrastructure projects.

Abandoning this successful style will be a challenge for Trump. He'll need to be strategic about which “deals” he chooses to oversee himself as president. The Carrier agreement was high-visibility and it fulfilled a campaign promise, making it a perfect example of the kind of deal Trump should involve himself in. Because Carrier's parent company is a large defense contractor, Trump had leverage. His running mate, Mike Pence, is still governor of Indiana, and thus had a governor's economic-development tools to work with. Above all, the Carrier deal sends a powerful message to corporate America: There's a new sheriff in town. Still, it can't be the norm. Instead, Trump needs to think bigger, focusing on transformative agreements—renegotiating unfavorable trade deals, getting legislation through Congress, adjusting relations with foreign governments—that affect the larger economy.

Trump should also apply his brand-building skill to the American economy. “Brand USA” needs to encompass more than just post-industrial services like tech and finance. How can Trump make the United States an aspirational brand for middle-class employers? Branding is critical. It's not just about the product. Marketing matters, too, and Trump is a master marketer. He built his business empire as a luxury brand, then demonstrated his prowess by running a successful political campaign with a working-class brand. Trump knows that the United States badly needs a “brand lift,” and this may be the first time that the country has had a brand builder as president. There are real opportunities here.

Infrastructure should also have great appeal to Trump. He already understands the value of physical structures like Trump Tower to his personal and business brand. The Wollman Rink project formed a key part of his legend. Publicly financed buildings and structures often have a plaque attached with the names of all the elected and appointed officials involved in their construction. There are still buildings with WPA markers on them, for example. A vast number of public works projects in America with “Donald J. Trump, President of the United States” on them would give him a legacy etched in concrete and steel.

Again, Trump needs to be strategic. He can't treat infrastructure like a bunch of Wollman Rink projects. He should pick a few high-profile and high-visibility projects to push through as personal priorities. The Gateway Tunnel beneath the Hudson River and the water-system rebuild in Flint, Michigan, come immediately to mind. Beyond that, he needs to crack the code on America's dysfunctional infrastructure system, which too often chooses the wrong projects to build or repair, and then—as with Wollman Rink—weighs them down with vast delays and inflated costs. The good news is that we still know how to build things quickly. After the I-35 bridge collapsed in Minneapolis, its replacement opened 18 months later. That should be the model for all replacement and maintenance projects.

While President Trump may be able to push individual infrastructure projects over the finish line through force of will, our national infrastructure-building strategy requires substantial reform. The notion of “systems change” is not a part of his developer's DNA. He will need to adjust.  Unfortunately, Trump's choice of Elaine Chao for Transportation secretary doesn't suggest that he has reform in mind.

In short, Trump's background is a good but uneven fit for the Oval Office. Though his Carrier deal can be justly celebrated, Trump can't allow himself to get so distracted by ribbon-cutting and deal making that he starts acting like a governor or mayor instead of the president of the United States.

(Aaron M. Renn is a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a contributing editor of City Journal, where this piece first appeared.)