Author Topic: President Trump  (Read 84209 times)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Re: President Trump
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2016, 12:06:24 PM »

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »
It appears to be a real story, that a woman got this tattoo...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2016, 04:19:58 PM »
$25 Million Settlement Reached in Trump University Lawsuit

Donald Trump has reached an agreement to settle the lawsuit against Trump University for $25 million, New York's attorney general said Friday.

The settlement likely means that Trump will avoid becoming possibly the first sitting president to testify in open court.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman called the settlement "a major victory for the over 6,000 victims of his fraudulent university." Lawyers involved in the cases say the settlement applies to all three lawsuits against Trump University including two cases filed in California.

The trial for one of the cases had been scheduled to start Nov. 28.

The $25 million figure will be split among the students who sued, minus the legal fees.

Trump will also pay up to $1 million in penalties to the state of New York, Schneiderman said.

Former students of Trump University say the school fraudulently misrepresented what students would be taught and falsely claimed that instructors were handpicked by Trump.

Trump's attorneys last week asked the judge to delay the trial until after the inauguration, citing the "critical and all-consuming" work the president-elect has to do before he takes office in January.

The deal doesn't require Trump to acknowledge wrongdoing. Trump has strongly denied the allegations and said during the campaign that he wouldn't settle.

"We are pleased to announce the complete resolution of all litigation involving Trump University," the Trump organization said in a statement on Friday. "While we have no doubt that Trump University would have prevailed at trial based on the merits of this case, resolution of these matters allows President-Elect Trump to devote his full attention to the important issues facing our great nation."

During the campaign, Trump said Gonzalo Curiel, the federal judge in the San Diego case, was hostile to him.

"I believe he happens to be Spanish, which is fine. He is Hispanic, which is fine. And we haven't asked for recusal, which we may do," Trump said in May. "But we have a judge who is very hostile. Should've been thrown out. Wasn't thrown out."

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2016, 04:21:35 PM »
http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/11/16/you-are-still-crying-wolf

Great article/

GO TRUMP!!!

Read it yesterday.  It is a good one and I'd recommend it for everyone, to get a better idea of what happened.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2016, 04:26:21 PM »
Read it yesterday.  It is a good one and I'd recommend it for everyone, to get a better idea of what happened.

Same.

Good read.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2016, 04:44:28 PM »
Same.

Good read.

A little OT, but just catching up on news and I can see how it's going to be with this pathetic media.  They grasp so hard for anything -- anything! -- at all, that they'll make "news" stories based on things like allegedly "angry tweets" and stupid stuff like that.   lmao they're trying to base news on "angry" tweets.

::)  ::)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »
Trump Moves His Transition Talks to Trump Golf Course in Somerset Hills

BEDMINSTER, NJ - Traffic was already backed up by late Friday afternoon in the area of Trump National Golf Course on Lamington Road in Bedminster, where U.S. President-elect Donald J. Trump shifted his transition meeting talks starting today, Nov. 18.

Meetings are expected to continue throughout the weekend.

According to various media reports, including a report on Golf.com, Trump's transition team will conduct some of its meetings at Trump National Golf Club on Lamington Road beginning on Friday, Nov. 18.

Trump National Golf Course already has long been an important location for Trump: his daughter, Ivanka, held her wedding to Jared Kushner in 2009. Trump also requested permission from the Bedminster Land Use Board to be buried in a private cemetery on golf course property, although there is no guarantee that would be his ultimate decision.

The transition team has been centered at the Trump Tower in Manhattan. Vice President-elect Mike Pence chairs the transition team. The team is tasked with helping the President-elect decide who he will nominate for cabinet posts in his administration, and how to fill other key posts in the administration.

TapInto - Neighborhood News

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2016, 05:09:22 PM »

Vince Neil 'Uninvited' From Donald Trump's Presidential Inauguration

Vince Neil revealed Friday that he had been recruited to perform at Donald Trump's presidential inauguration in Washington, D.C. on January 20th. However, hours later, the Mötley Crüe singer announced that he had been "uninvited" from the event.

As Neil told Billboard, Trump's people approached the singer about his availability "months ago," soon after he declined an invitation to attend the third presidential debate in Neil's now-native Las Vegas.

"The promoters asked if I was available, and I said yes," Neil said of the invitation. "So we sent all of the band's passports to the Secret Service so everybody can get in, and all of the crew people, not knowing who was winning. But we were already scheduled to play."

A representative for Neil did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

However, speaking to TMZ, Neil said that Trump's unexpected win changed everything, and while he was initially asked to perform at the inauguration, those plans have since been altered. "I don't know who's playing the inauguration, but god bless 'em," Neil said.

Neil, who recently pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault on a female autograph seeker, said he would perform at the inauguration ceremony with his own band and not Mötley Crüe, he said. (Crüe bassist Nikki Sixx, a self-proclaimed liberal, tweeted after Trump's election, "If Trump wins can we morally grab woman by their pussys when we greet them??")

The unique gig's set list was also still up for debate. "I don't know how long I have to play. I don't know if the Republican Party says which [songs] to play and what not to do," Neil said. "It's a little ways out. I'll have more information as time goes on."

Neil, ironically, is also taking part in the upcoming season of Celebrity Apprentice, although he'll be trying to impress new boss Arnold Schwarzenegger and not Trump.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2016, 05:22:41 PM »
The Fate of Assange During a Trump Presidency is Unknown

In a political climate imbued with uncertainty as the transition between the Obama and Trump camps creaks haltingly along (or glides smoothly, depending on the source of the status report), one entity seeks to capitalize upon the new administration: WikiLeaks and its founder, Julian Assange, currently residing in exile — and ostensibly without internet access — after receiving political asylum in Ecuador’s London embassy. Assange’s lawyers are alleged to be gearing up to petition the incoming administration to drop the probe into Assange’s dissemination of classified documents, evidently anticipating a warmer relationship than the one they share with President Obama and his cabinet. A statement released on the WikiLeaks website just prior to the November 8 election and attributed to Assange claims that:

“In recent months, WikiLeaks and I personally have come under enormous pressure to stop publishing what the Clinton campaign says about itself to itself. That pressure has come from the campaign’s allies, including the Obama administration, and from liberals who are anxious about who will be elected US President.”

Though the statement also underscores the organization’s lack of allegiance to any campaign in particular, Trump’s reaped arguably the greatest benefit from the release of information that called further into question Clinton’s relationship with Wall Street. In spite of pressure from U.S. lawmakers, Assange has not been charged with espionage; however, the Justice Department investigation is ongoing and would land on Trump’s radar when he takes office in January. A sudden termination of the investigation under Trump could trigger censure and allegations of impropriety against the fledgling administration, with the implication that failing to push for Assange’s extradition to face charges could be construed as payment for services rendered during the election.

The rumors of Assange’s intent to lobby Trump for leniency are accompanied by an op-ed published yesterday to the New York Times by WikiLeaks editor Sarah Harrison titled “Why the World Needs WikiLeaks,” reaffirming the WikiLeaks mantra that they are a “desperately needed” check against the rampancy of government power. The Trump campaign also maintained an anti-establishment stance throughout the course of his campaign and attempted, successfully, to tar Clinton and the Obama administration with the corruption brunch. However, Trump has also battled his own demons, chief among them insinuations that his campaign was affiliated with a Russian government that had its own stake in his ascendancy to power.

Another potential problem for Trump if he declines to pursue the investigation into Assange and WikiLeaks is the matter of Assange’s other pending legal situation, this one in Sweden. Assange faced allegations of sexual assault there, two of which were dropped and one of which, rape, is set to expire in 2020. Assange claims that his legal situation in Sweden is inextricably tied to the U.S. investigation, citing fears that he will be unjustly extradited to the United States if he travels to Sweden to contend with his legal situation there. Trump also faced multiple accusations of sexual assault during a campaign already dogged by widespread misgivings about his treatment of women. Trump adamantly denied perpetrating any form of sexual assault, but a demonstration of clemency toward another figure so publicly accused could be problematic for an administration that has professed its intention to heal deep rifts in the country following the election.

Trump has not issued a statement regarding his intentions as to how to handle Assange and has exhibited conflicting sentiments toward cybersecurity. He campaigned on the premise of strengthening American security against foreign threats, but actively encouraged Russia during a July news conference to locate emails of Clinton’s that were presumed to be missing during the first FBI probe. Assange will join the long queue of United States citizens and non-citizens alike who view the road ahead as uncertain.

(Inquistr)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2016, 06:46:33 PM »
This is Vince Neil's exchange with TMZ.  From Billboard Magazine.

UPDATE: Since speaking to Billboard on Friday afternoon (Nov. 18), Vince Neil discovered that his invitation to perform at the inauguration was not a done deal. “I was asked to do the inauguration two months ago no matter who won,” he told TMZ. “As far as I knew, we were playing. It turns out when the Republicans won, we were uninvited. I didn’t know about the Democratic part of asking us to play. I assumed ... it didn’t matter who won, it would still be a party. I guess there is more politics in bands playing than I thought there was. I just found out about this today when all this stuff came out when I was playing. I asked my guys, and they said once Trump won, it was all politics. I don’t know who’s playing Trump’s party, but God bless them.”

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2016, 06:58:10 PM »
This is Vince Neil's exchange with TMZ.  From Billboard Magazine.

Media would have more ammo against him..if this druggie played..
real men= no rubbers

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2016, 07:17:16 PM »
A little OT, but just catching up on news and I can see how it's going to be with this pathetic media.  They grasp so hard for anything -- anything! -- at all, that they'll make "news" stories based on things like allegedly "angry tweets" and stupid stuff like that.   lmao they're trying to base news on "angry" tweets.

::)  ::)

The 2016 election of Donald Trump was the definitive kill shot of the classical "legacy" media as we knew it. The alternative media has ALREADY passed it up and I would argue by a large margin even today. You have channels like Alex Jones who blow them away in subscriptions and views. You even have channels of guys with basically a microphone in their basement who surpass their view counts on a regular basis as well.

A video making fun of The Young Turks will get 5 to 10 times as many views as that of THEIR OWN original content.

Read the comments of videos from CNN and MSNBC...the vast majority is just that of people simply trolling or expressing contempt for their dishonest form of "journalism"

And that is not even taking into account that Trump's top adviser Steven Bannon has deep, deep ties with Breitbart which DOMINATES social media. After the failures of the mainstream media to character assassinate Bannon he is basically bulletproof at this point and he knows it.

Within the coming days they will attempt to screw up the appointment of Jeff Sessions as Attorney General, it will ultimately fail.

Trump has all the cards. The Senate. The House. The Presidency. The Supreme Court. The Media(albeit not in the classical sense). A Democrat Party who leadership is in complete disarray. He even has Ford, Apple and Mitt Romney coming to the table to negotiate weeks before he even takes power.

He has all the momentum in the world.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2016, 07:52:19 PM »
Trump brings South Carolina Governor and one of his biggest critics to heel. Nikki Haley Warns Republicans: Trump Did Not Win by ‘Celebrating’ Our Party

SaintAnger

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2016, 08:33:11 PM »
The 2016 election of Donald Trump was the definitive kill shot of the classical "legacy" media as we knew it. The alternative media has ALREADY passed it up and I would argue by a large margin even today. You have channels like Alex Jones who blow them away in subscriptions and views. You even have channels of guys with basically a microphone in their basement who surpass their view counts on a regular basis as well.

A video making fun of The Young Turks will get 5 to 10 times as many views as that of THEIR OWN original content.

Read the comments of videos from CNN and MSNBC...the vast majority is just that of people simply trolling or expressing contempt for their dishonest form of "journalism"

And that is not even taking into account that Trump's top adviser Steven Bannon has deep, deep ties with Breitbart which DOMINATES social media. After the failures of the mainstream media to character assassinate Bannon he is basically bulletproof at this point and he knows it.

Within the coming days they will attempt to screw up the appointment of Jeff Sessions as Attorney General, it will ultimately fail.

Trump has all the cards. The Senate. The House. The Presidency. The Supreme Court. The Media(albeit not in the classical sense). A Democrat Party who leadership is in complete disarray. He even has Ford, Apple and Mitt Romney coming to the table to negotiate weeks before he even takes power.

And he and his clan will blow it all.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2016, 08:37:36 PM »
And he and his clan will blow it all.

Who? Obama? Yeah, that boy blew it! Worst president ever. Made even Jimmy Carter look like a military genius, and an economic savant.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2016, 10:17:21 AM »
Media would have more ammo against him..if this druggie played..

Yeah, could be one or more of millions of reasons why it happened.  Might've just taken a routine security concern to trip a matter like this.

You know they wished to have the gig, though.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2016, 10:35:07 AM »

I like your style, poly.  I'm looking for reasons to feel confidently good about the administration living up (knowing that NO WAY we could've survived Hillary) and you really deliver it.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2016, 01:53:48 PM »
I like your style, poly.  I'm looking for reasons to feel confidently good about the administration living up (knowing that NO WAY we could've survived Hillary) and you really deliver it.

It's an fascinating time to be alive. I really feel like the people are about to wield more power than they ever have via social media.

Concerning the character assassination of Sessions...it's already under way. I already posted this video in another thread but look how easily Tucker is able to take this guy down. 10 or 15 years ago this could have very well put Sessions appointment in doubt. People yawn at these pathetic attempts by the Left now.

Read this comments underneath almost all showing utter contempt for this fat maggot. We finally have a say when the Left tries to use these tactics.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Donald Trump
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2016, 02:05:37 PM »
Quite the opposite.
I don't see world making joke of Americans for the past few days. What I see is fear. Fear from the political elite especially in Europe who are nothing but dogs on American establishments leash. If Trump turns the tables and starts to pursue politics favoring Americans, it will most likely open the eyes even more in Europe. Ang guess who are thrown the fuck out then? Yes, the current political elite.
Le Pen will win in France... bulgarian pro-russia candidate just won in Bulgaria... Brexit happened already... right wing party knocking doors in Sweden... This might very well open path for the Europe to take our countries back.

Trump has keyes to become politician who has influenced the world order the most since ww2.

Yes, who exactly is laughing? Japan? Russia? Germany? China?

This sounds like a healthy dose of respect and fear?

Chinese President Xi Jinping has called Donald Trump to congratulate him, Reuters reported.

“I place great importance on the China-U.S. relationship, and look forward to working with you to uphold the principles of non-conflict, non-confrontation, mutual respect and win-win cooperation,” Xi told Trump by phone, according to Reuters.

The only laughing is being directed into the faces of loser Leftists and Snowflakes.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2016, 09:32:55 AM »
Trump meets with Tulsi Gabbard, others

President-elect Donald Trump scheduled meetings with an array of politicians and former government officials on Monday, including a Democratic congresswoman who backed Senator Bernie Sanders in the 2016 presidential primary against Hillary Clinton.

War veteran Tulsi Gabbard, a U.S. representative from Hawaii who quit the Democratic National Committee in February to endorse the independent U.S. senator from Vermont, will be first on Trump's meeting list, transition officials said.

Gabbard, the first Hindu member of the U.S. Congress, has veered from Democratic Party positions at times, backing policies cracking down on immigration to the United States by Muslims in particular.

In November 2015, she was one of a few dozen Democrats who joined Republicans to pass a bill mandating stronger screening process for refugees from Iraq and Syria seeking to enter the United States. In 2014, she called for a rollback of the visa waiver program for Britain, Germany, France and other European countries with what she called "Islamic extremist" populations.

The Republican president-elect has hosted a parade of visitors at his offices in Manhattan, and in New Jersey over the weekend, as he works to build a Cabinet and fill other senior administration positions for his term that begins on Jan. 20.

In addition to seeing Gabbard, Trump was scheduled to meet on Monday with former Texas Governor Rick Perry, Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin, former House of Representatives Speaker Newt Gingrich and Elaine Chao, the U.S. labor secretary under former President George W. Bush, advisers said.

Perry is being considered for Cabinet posts including defense, energy and veterans affairs, Trump's transition team said. Fallin's name has come up as a possibility for interior secretary, Trump senior adviser Kellyanne Conway said on Fox News.

Conway said the transition team is "way ahead of schedule" on Cabinet decisions as Trump speaks to a variety of current and former leaders and experts from many fields. "Most people who meet with him are not going to be in his Cabinet," she said.

Trump, a New York businessman who has never previously held public office and who was the surprise winner over Clinton in the Nov. 8 election, has so far chosen three senior leaders of his national security and law enforcement teams.

They are U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions for attorney general, U.S. Representative Mike Pompeo as CIA director, and retired Lieutenant General Michael Flynn as national security adviser.

Over the weekend, Trump held court at his golf resort in Bedminster, New Jersey, where he conferred with retired Marine Corps General James Mattis, a contender for defense secretary, and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, a fierce Trump critic during the presidential campaign who is now under consideration for secretary of state.

Summing up two days of talks on Sunday evening, Trump said he had made decisions on a couple of appointments. "We really had some great meetings, and you’ll be hearing about them soon,” he said.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »
Trump's popularity soaring after election

Donald Trump’s popularity is rising in the days since his election, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll of registered voters.

Forty-six percent of voters now have a very favorable or somewhat favorable opinion of the president-elect. Twelve percent have a somewhat unfavorable opinion and 34 percent have a very unfavorable opinion of him.

It’s a dramatic uptick since the election. Trump’s favorability has grown 9 points, 37 percent to 46 percent, compared to a Morning Consult poll right before the election -- while his unfavorability has dropped 15 points, from 61 percent to 46 percent.

President Barack Obama’s approval rating is also up. Fifty-four percent of voters approve of the job Obama is doing, while 43 percent disapprove. That’s up from 50 percent approving and 48 percent disapproving of Obama before the election.

"Trump’s favorability among voters has reached new highs since he became president-elect,” said Morning Consult cofounder and Chief Research Officer Kyle Dropp. "This honeymoon phase in common for new presidents. For example, Obama saw about a 20 point swing in his favor following the 2008 election."

Trump is also getting high marks for his transition effort. Nineteen percent of those polled believe it is more organized than past efforts and another 34 percent believe the transition is about the same, according to the poll that Morning Consult conducted Nov. 16-18.

"About half say Donald Trump's presidential transition is as organized or more organized than previous administrations, whereas about one in three describe it as less organized than past transitions,' said Dropp, though he noted that “many of the initial transition picks including Reince Priebus, Steve Bannon and Jeff Sessions are still largely unknown to Americans."

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »
It's an fascinating time to be alive. I really feel like the people are about to wield more power than they ever have via social media.

Concerning the character assassination of Sessions...it's already under way. I already posted this video in another thread but look how easily Tucker is able to take this guy down. 10 or 15 years ago this could have very well put Sessions appointment in doubt. People yawn at these pathetic attempts by the Left now.

Read this comments underneath almost all showing utter contempt for this fat maggot. We finally have a say when the Left tries to use these tactics.

That is really good stuff, lmao.  What a load of fertilizer, that guy.  And to think someone is paying that sack of barf to make this stuff up, in order to mislead and misdirect (and divide, of course).

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2016, 11:02:59 AM »
Trump's off-the-record meeting with Media

Donald Trump has set up an off-the-record meeting with the country’s five biggest television networks for this afternoon. Participants will not be able to divulge what is said, but the future POTUS is said to want to talk to TV executives about how they got it wrong during the presidential campaign.

According to TMZ, Donald Trump is meeting with top television executives today at 1 p.m. at Trump Tower, and tomorrow, he will do the same with the New York Times executives and others. Sources say that Trump fully intends to inform the media of his feelings and does not plan to hold back despite them being his harshest critics.

Fox40 reported that executives and network anchors from ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, and Fox News will all be in attendance at today’s meeting. NBC’s cable news network MSNBC is included in the invitation as well.

The meeting is intended to be off the record, so the public will not be informed about what is divulged. President Obama and other government officials have occasionally had similar off-the-record sessions with reporters, anchors, and other media personnel in the past.

The meeting was organized by Donald Trump’s campaign manager and now senior advisor, Kellyanne Conway.

Donald Trump has had long-standing relationships with many people in the television news business. However, during his political campaign for president, Trump waged an anti-media crusade.

Many are questioning whether Donald Trump will provide the same levels of press access that presidents in the past have permitted, such as a traveling “press pool” and regular news conferences.

Trump has vilified the media many times during the election months, especially the New York Times and the Washington Post.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2016, 11:24:35 AM »
I can't disagree with him.  Giuliani is longtime pals with Trump, though, and that's going to have an impact.  But Bolton could walk off a pier and the world wouldn't lack for it, IMO.

Rand Paul Speaks Out Against Potential Trump Nominees

Kentucky Senator Rand Paul is vowing to oppose several of President-Elect Trump’s proposed and announced Cabinet members:

Sen. Rand Paul is flexing some maverick muscle.

Speaking on “Face the Nation” on CBS on Sunday, the Kentucky Republican lashed out against two of the people President-elect Donald Trump is said to be considering for secretary of state: John Bolton and Rudy Giuliani.

“Both Bolton and Giuliani have advocated for regime change in Iran, and that doesn’t sound like diplomacy, that sounds like war,” Paul said.

“Giuliani and Bolton are out there on the extreme. I don’t think they are very diplomatic. Bolton might be better as a secretary of war, but he is certainly not a diplomat or someone who acts in a diplomatic way or thinks that diplomacy might be an alternative to war.”

Bolton was ambassador to the U.N. under President George W. Bush; Giuliani is a former mayor of New York and a loyal Trump supporter.

Paul said there will be 52 Republicans in the next Senate, a slim majority. “It is a very close vote.” (The 52nd would be Louisiana’s John Kennedy, who is facing Democrat Foster Campbell in a December runoff.)

“There are several potential Republican votes against someone like a Bolton, possibly Giuliani,” Paul said. “The other thing Giuliani is going to stir up is it is going to be a hornet’s nest on all the financial stuff,” he said, without elaborating.

Separately, Paul said he agrees with Sen. John McCain that waterboarding is torture. Trump has indicated he would bring back waterboarding as an interrogation tool.

“We should telegraph to the world that we are better than this, and we do not torture,” Paul said.

Paul also said that President-Elect Trump’s  choice to head the Central Intelligence Agency, Kansas Congressman Mike Pompeo would have to be questioned to determined if he intends to continue the spy agencies long-standing opposition to any effort to resume waterboarding of present or future terrorism suspects or other detainees. The newly re-elected Kentucky Senator, who had been running an ill-fated Presidential campaign in which he was one of the few candidates to speak out against Trump during candidate debates, also expressed skepticism about Trump’s selection of Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions as Attorney General, most notably due to Sessions positions on issues such as the War On Drugs, including the efforts of some states to legalize marijuana for medicinal or recreational use, and his opposition to criminal justice and sentencing reform, two issues that Senator Paul has been involved with over the past several years along with a small group of Republicans and Democratic Senators such as New Jersey Senator Cory Booker. As a Senator, Sessions has been a vocal opponent of many of the proposals that have been proposed by the groups backing Paul’s proposals, such as continuing the Justice Department’s ‘hands off’ approach to enforcing marijuana laws inside the borders of states where it has been legalized or decriminalized, reforming the Federal mandatory minimum sentencing practices, reforming sentencing guidelines that disproportionately impact minorities and the poor, and changing laws that make it difficult for criminals who have served their sentences and completed parole without violations from resuming normal lives, many of which have been shown to have a tendency to lead former felons to turn to crime again.

Paul’s warnings bring to mind the question of just how much of a barrier Congress is likely to be to President-Elect Trump once he takes office. It’s true that many Republicans in the House and Senate refused to have anything to do with Trump during the campaign, and that several outright stated that they would not vote for him, but in many cases it’s likely that was a political calculation based on the presumption that being associated with Trump would hurt them in the General Election and the presumption, seemingly supported by the polling evidence, that Hillary Clinton would be the 45th President of the United States. Now that Trump has won the election, Republicans are once again bending over backwards to curry favor with the President-Elect and, in some cases, obsequiously answering his call to come to visit him amid speculation they are being considered for a cabinet position.  Additionally, party leaders in the House and Senate are currying favor with the President-Elect in the hope that he’ll back their agenda on issues such as spending and tax reform. Given that, one wonders just how intense the oversight of the Trump Administration will be by the Congress charged with doing so. Democrats will no doubt be critical of the incoming President, but because they are in the minority they have limited authority to hold hearings or conduct investigations unless they have the support of some Republicans. The fact that Senator Paul appears to be willing to question the incoming Administration is hardly surprising since he’s done that rather consistently in the past, but it seems doubtful that many other Republicans will join him except perhaps in extreme circumstances.