Author Topic: after reading a recent thread...  (Read 1284 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
after reading a recent thread...
« on: April 06, 2006, 10:56:50 AM »
if i switched my bis to chest day and tris to back day i could reap more benefits with heavier lifts respectively?

my bi's are usually toast after back day when i can only curl 55's but when i was doing arms solely on their own day i could do 65's...i attributed to the loss in strength from back work

but with chest day right after back day...wouldnt' a rough tri day be murder on my benching the next?

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: after reading a recent thread...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 11:21:16 AM »
I hit tris with chest and bis with back on mon and tue, then arms again by themselves on friday. 

I like hitting tris/chest and back/bis simply because they are already fatigued then I will hit some reps with light weight and really focus on contrations.  Then friday when I do them by themselves I alternate bi/tri, bi/tri and really go heavy.

Try it out, it may work for you.  Working my tris secondarily with chest on mon, by themselves on tues, then secondarily with shoulders (heavy DB presses) for me I think is too much.  Then legs on thur and arms again on fri.  But thats just me. It may work for you and the only way you will truly know is if you try it.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 11:38:11 AM »
i've been going around and around with this shit for years....just scared of over training...and ending up where i was a year ago plateaued and losing interest in the sport... :-\

arms on their own day might be a good idea! i usually do one or two exercises with two sets each exercise for my bi's and tri's after all of my back or chest work...

maybe that's what they need to grow..a day for themselves

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 01:53:52 PM »
I was struggling hard one time also, just going through the movements.  Then I started a whole new routine and it was like I had 3 months off.  It was crazy.  Sometime all it takes to get fired back up is a little change in your weekly routine.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 02:13:42 PM »
High volume routines using a 5x5 scheme gave me my best gains. You could try the following routine. As a beginner, you should be adding weight to the bar every week or so. The goal is to get as ridiculously strong as possible on the basic exercises.

Monday/Thursday:

Bench Press - 5x5
Weighted Dips -  5x5
Squats - 5x5
Deadlifts - 5x8

Tuesday/Saturday:

Military Press - 5x5
Upright Rows - 5x5
Barbell Curls - 5x5
Pullovers - 5x5
One Arm Rows - 5x8
Leg Press - 10x10