Author Topic: investing, the right way  (Read 3810 times)

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
investing, the right way
« on: June 07, 2017, 06:08:44 PM »
getbig millionaires, quick question. wifey and I put almost 80 percent of our income into mutual funds. at the moment these get like a 10 percent return (portfolio as a whole) since i started these funds. we own a home, have a couple other small stock investments, but thats it. is this good, or is 10 percent return pretty pathetic? we started these mutual funds about 11 yrs ago.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: investing, the right way
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:15:13 PM »
getbig millionaires, quick question. wifey and I put almost 80 percent of our income into mutual funds. at the moment these get like a 10 percent return (portfolio as a whole) since i started these funds. we own a home, have a couple other small stock investments, but thats it. is this good, or is 10 percent return pretty pathetic? we started these mutual funds about 11 yrs ago.

Probably should already be a millionaire if you really invested 80 percent of both incomes for 11 years now, especially given the gains the market has made in 11 years.  

Only two things I see here.

1. You are lying
2. You invested poorly

I am inclined to believe number 1.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:28:27 PM »
Probably should already be a millionaire if you really invested 80 percent of both incomes for 11 years now, especially given the gains the market has made in 11 years.  

Only two things I see here.

1. You are lying
2. You invested poorly

I intend to believe number 1.

1. you are right, sorry, i forgot that we pay a big mortage. probably 30-40 percent realistically. my bad TA

my point is we put all of our "savings" into mutual funds. very few other investments other than those. i mean we each have company 401k and an IRA but i dont consider that mine yet

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:12:17 PM »
1. you are right, sorry, i forgot that we pay a big mortage. probably 30-40 percent realistically. my bad TA

my point is we put all of our "savings" into mutual funds. very few other investments other than those. i mean we each have company 401k and an IRA but i dont consider that mine yet

10% return is very good. Over time u can easily retire a millionaire with these returns. But you're leaving out a lot of variables in your question.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 08:57:28 PM »

also. Didn't u splurge on gyno surgery?  Deduct 50 points haha!

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 01:38:09 AM »
Leaving out a lot of important info like how old are you and how much actual money are you putting in the mutual funds?

Speaking generally I think 10% return is fine.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 01:40:11 AM »
when youre done getting financial advice on getbig msg board dont forget to get a second opinion and a third etc on

star wars msg board

ice skating msg board

learning spanish msg board

and other places where expertise are.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 03:11:34 AM »
10% in total or annualised?

beware of bubbles collapsing

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 04:13:39 AM »

You can live on 20% of your income?  You are obviously rich. Why do you ask for financial advice?

Simple Simon

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 04:15:07 AM »
when youre done getting financial advice on getbig msg board dont forget to get a second opinion and a third etc on

star wars msg board

ice skating msg board

;D

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 04:40:31 AM »
I'd personally dump the funds and carve out some money and put on my own stock choices.

Currently I would consider bankers like Amazon, Facebook, Electronic Arts, Activision, Take Two (Rockstar games) - all make 20%+ a year.

Then if you were to up the risk, then AMD (advanced micro devices) has yielded 200-300% gains in about a year and is set to really take on Intel in the next 3 quarters.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 04:42:28 AM »

When the market crash comes, you and your wife will cry... hard.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 04:43:25 AM »
Typically 15% is the minimum i would look for if you are customizing your own portfolio.

10% you could get in a low stress broker managed package.
P

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 04:44:13 AM »
I'd personally dump the funds and carve out some money and put on my own stock choices.

Currently I would consider bankers like Amazon, Facebook, Electronic Arts, Activision, Take Two (Rockstar games) - all make 20%+ a year.

Then if you were to up the risk, then AMD (advanced micro devices) has yielded 200-300% gains in about a year and is set to really take on Intel in the next 3 quarters.

Extraordinarily bad advice.  These stocks (and the overall market) are just bubbles waiting to pop.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 04:45:51 AM »
Verizon's stock has skyrocketed since they hired Goodrum.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 04:50:33 AM »
When the market crash comes, you and your wife will cry... hard.

If they started investing 11 years ago, they have already lived through and survived the great recession.

For those who are informed, a market crash is an opportunity.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 04:52:53 AM »
Extraordinarily bad advice.  These stocks (and the overall market) are just bubbles waiting to pop.

Amazon isn't going to pop any time soon, but there is far better value to be had elsewhere
P

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 04:52:56 AM »
Everyone thinks they're a genius in a bull market.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 04:56:02 AM »

You're in the wrong forum.  Follow the link below and ask people of all walks of life who are already retired comfortably, people who are about to retire comfortably, and people who are on target to retire comfortably.

Their investment philosophy:

1 Develop a workable plan
2 Invest early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little risk
4 Diversify
5 Never try to time the market
6 Use index funds when possible
7 Keep costs low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=eab64333c56bcb878fdfac5bd47c0d7d

James

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »

OLKE_TEXAS

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Muscle Radio
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 11:20:33 AM »

star wars msg board

ice skating msg board

LOL  :D
O