Author Topic: I am a physical wreck  (Read 25749 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: I am a physical wreck
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2018, 03:55:02 AM »
If you can do all that why get a knee replacement?

Well, it's not actually "all that". Pain is constant. When I talk about walking I mean I'm not limping around walking to my car or for short distances. But I use to go on walks at night with my dogs and can't do that anymore. After about a half a mile I start limping. Stairs, I need to use the handrails and pull myself to reduce knee stress. Getting out of chairs again I have to push up on the arm rests. If there is no arm rest, say like getting out of bed, I have to lean forward with my head and rock forward with both hands at my side pushing against the edge of the bed keeping my upper body bent so that it's parallel to the floor and then straighten my legs. If I try to get up the normal way my body is too upright and it's too much for my knees.
It's like doing a body weight squat.

It's not something that keeps me from living a somewhat normal life but it's always there. If it gets to the point where I feel I can't function somewhat normally then I'll go with the replacement. Not to sound like a bad ass but I've pretty much lived my entire adult life with some kind of physical pain so it's kind of normal for me.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2018, 03:57:08 AM »
It's not covered. And it will run you about 15 grand with no guaranteed results.

Well, there you go, but who knows what the -near- future will bring...

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2018, 04:03:54 AM »
Well, there you go, but who knows what the -near- future will bring...

I'm sure that technology where you can grow your own cartilage is coming along if not already possible. I'm just suspicious that it won't be brought to market because it will put all those fake knees out of business and make a dent in pain killer both OTC and prescription.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2018, 05:09:34 AM »
I'm sure that technology where you can grow your own cartilage is coming along if not already possible. I'm just suspicious that it won't be brought to market because it will put all those fake knees out of business and make a dent in pain killer both OTC and prescription.

buy 3d printer  ;) & print your own cartilage ..........

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2018, 05:17:18 AM »
whatabout mentally

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2018, 07:30:51 AM »
Well, it's not actually "all that". Pain is constant. When I talk about walking I mean I'm not limping around walking to my car or for short distances. But I use to go on walks at night with my dogs and can't do that anymore. After about a half a mile I start limping. Stairs, I need to use the handrails and pull myself to reduce knee stress. Getting out of chairs again I have to push up on the arm rests. If there is no arm rest, say like getting out of bed, I have to lean forward with my head and rock forward with both hands at my side pushing against the edge of the bed keeping my upper body bent so that it's parallel to the floor and then straighten my legs. If I try to get up the normal way my body is too upright and it's too much for my knees.

It's not something that keeps me from living a somewhat normal life but it's always there. If it gets to the point where I feel I can't function somewhat normally then I'll go with the replacement. Not to sound like a bad ass but I've pretty much lived my entire adult life with some kind of physical pain so it's kind of normal for me.

That's tough.  I feel for you.  Stairs are really hard on the knees, especially going down stairs.

As for the standing up part, can you do bodyweight squats to strengthen your legs and hips?  High rep sets but start off easy.

Box squats in a power rack?

How about wall squats?

Another that might help you is "good mornings".  Light weight, high reps.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2018, 07:56:35 AM »
check pm pellius
A

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2018, 07:21:36 PM »
That's tough.  I feel for you.  Stairs are really hard on the knees, especially going down stairs.

As for the standing up part, can you do bodyweight squats to strengthen your legs and hips?  High rep sets but start off easy.

Box squats in a power rack?

How about wall squats?

Another that might help you is "good mornings".  Light weight, high reps.

I don't, and can't do, any squats in any variation with a bar on my shoulder.

Never was a fan of box squat and never saw the advantage. In training a muscle it's TUT (time under tension) and not reps per se. You can do much more reps with the same weight just doing them fast
as you can using a controlled (and IMO more optimal) rep cadence. You don't have continual tension on a box squat and it might be bad for you spine as you sit and rest with the bar on your shoulders compressing your spine. And it puts just as much strain on the knees as a regular squat except when you are sitting and the tension is off the knees and hips and just transfer it to your shoulders and spine.

I think good mornings are probably the worse and most dangerous lower back exercise one can do. I remember Bruce Lee was laid up for six months doing this worthless movement. As Arthur Jones pointed out, free weights just have resistance in an up and down fashion. It's dependent on gravity. Your joints work in a circular arc. This is one of the reasons he developed Nautilus. To provide continuous tension through the entire movement. With good mornings, in the starting position there is no direct resistance on your lower back. The resistance is travelling along your spine then distributed to your hips and legs -- really your knees and feet since your legs are locked straight. As you bend forward that's when the weight starts to shift more to your lower back. You only get full resistance when you are bent over so that the upper body is parallel to the floor. Your weakest and most vulnerable position. So you get little or no resistance on your lower back in the starting and strongest position only to have it increase as you bend forward toward your weakest position. So your tendency is to use more weight than you can handle safely because it's so light in the beginning of the movement. It really should be the opposite. The resistance should be more at the beginning, the strongest, part at the movement and not at the end when you are in the weakest position.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2018, 07:24:24 PM »
Pellius is right. Most bodybuilders Getbiggers have little clue about which exercises are dangerous.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2018, 07:42:16 PM »
I forgot to mention that I can, and do, do a form of squats similar to this picture of Zane. The difference is that I sit a little further back as this takes more stress off the joints, which is why you need something to hold onto, and I only squat down until my thighs are parallel to the floor. My shins are straight up and perpendicular to the ground. In my "full squat" position my shins and thighs form a precise right angle. Like an "L" except turned 15 degrees to the right.

I wish I had access to an apparatus like this. Right now I only do it body weight only but I do it right after a set of leg press to failure so my quads are already "preexhausted" so at least it's a challenge than if I tried to them fresh.

Looking at this photo has given me some ideas. I tried using those hip belts and attached a dumbbell to it like those who need more resistance doing dips and pullups (I only wish I needed added resistance to do those movements). But it just doesn't feel right with the resistance on my hips. I'm thinking of bringing a backpack to the gym floor and adding some weight in the bag. But still, I would rather have the resistance pushing down directly on my shoulders, like in the Zane pic, rather than pulling me back.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2018, 07:47:11 PM »
Pellius is right. Most bodybuilders Getbiggers have little clue about which exercises are dangerous.

Thanks. I try to pay attention and at least give some thought to various movements and how the tension is distributed. I saw a guy doing those side bends with a weight on each side which of course just cancels out the resistance he wants to put on the opposite side of the weight. And chances are he is doing it because he thinks it will burn fat and get rid of the love handles. Many seem to be lost of the concept that the whole idea to using weights it is put the muscle under a load so that it will develop and grow. I doubt that he wants to increase the size and width of his hips.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2018, 07:49:55 PM »
check pm pellius

Got both and replied to both. Thanks for the tips.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2018, 09:32:33 PM »
Ibuprofen 800 mg a day is your friend

IBU #1 kills kidneys. I've trained nephrologists who explain it to me like kidneys are supposed to be sponges sponges like  or a kitchen sponge whatever... ibuprofen and to a lesser extent Naproxen turn these nice soft sponges that filter your blood of toxins into hard dense Coral.

#2 anti-inflammatories inhibit prostaglandins. Prostaglandins trigger recovery from workouts, so using anti-inflammatories especially ibuprofen will inhibit your recovery from workouts.

If pain is an issue, Tylenol is a better bet. It can be rough on deliver in high doses or when combined with other things such as alcohol, but at least your liver can regenerate itself heal itself. My liver is a walking example of that. For my understanding simply put Tylenol blocks pain receptors in the brain. I'll take that over destroying my kidneys any day of the week

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2018, 10:12:04 PM »
IBU #1 kills kidneys. I've trained nephrologists who explain it to me like kidneys are supposed to be sponges sponges like  or a kitchen sponge whatever... ibuprofen and to a lesser extent Naproxen turn these nice soft sponges that filter your blood of toxins into hard dense Coral.

#2 anti-inflammatories inhibit prostaglandins. Prostaglandins trigger recovery from workouts, so using anti-inflammatories especially ibuprofen will inhibit your recovery from workouts.

If pain is an issue, Tylenol is a better bet. It can be rough on deliver in high doses or when combined with other things such as alcohol, but at least your liver can regenerate itself heal itself. My liver is a walking example of that. For my understanding simply put Tylenol blocks pain receptors in the brain. I'll take that over destroying my kidneys any day of the week

You are right on all points. I've been using Advil regularly all my life. Literally for over 30 years. I didn't want to mention it because this is GetBig and they will always attribute everything to steroids of which I have never been a heavy or consistent user (I went through "blasting" periods when I've used 300 test and 300 deca a week along with either 25mg/day dbol or 50mg/day drol for 6-8 wks and I went around ten years without anything. Right now it's just TRT: 150mg/wk test cyp and 200mg/wk deca -- all prescribed by a doctor) but my kidneys has been compromised. There's protein in my urine, though the doctor said it's not at an alarming level, but my GFR ranges from 55-60. I should be at 90 and I think 20 is consider kidney disease and 15 is when you go on dialysis.

I've been advised to no longer take any ibruprofin ever but in my case, Tylenol doesn't do anything for me. You are right that acetaminophen works on a different pathway than ibruprofin. It works through the brain inhibiting, not necessarily blocking, pain receptors. But my problem is inflammation and that is what Advil helps reduce exactly how you described and yes, you are also right, that it inhibits muscle hypertrophy. You also make a very, very important point that many don't seem to know. Our liver can regenerate itself but the kidneys do not.

I really don't know why so many people here give you a hard time. You can be a bit braggadocious  but you are very knowledgeable on just about all things of concern to people on this board coming from both personal study and research as well as real life hands on experience.

Know that you have at least one person that pays close attention to what you say.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2018, 10:23:23 PM »
BTW, I'm thinking of asking my doctor for the stronger stuff. The opiods because Matt C. said that some of them are harmless on your kidneys. Know anything about this?

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2018, 03:28:13 AM »
Opiods are not harmfull at all for your body but very addictive. So use them as prescribed. They work wonders for pain. In your situation I think they are the best solution. Use them up until your surgery and a few weeks after. Than taper off and you will be fine.
MIRAGETROPIN

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »

Isn't it possible that by putting off the surgery, you are doing more damage? It's not just your knees that are affected, knee pain messes with your whole body including your spine. If you think knee pain is bad, dislocated discs can be murder.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2018, 01:11:08 PM »
BTW, I'm thinking of asking my doctor for the stronger stuff. The opiods because Matt C. said that some of them are harmless on your kidneys. Know anything about this?

skip the opiates.. 4 the sake of your soul. pot is superior on every level... no dependence, no withdrawal – no death.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »

I know Matt C. is not a doctor.

Knowing what I do about kidney failure, I have to say that it's not worth taking the chance.  Over the counter and carefully monitored pain medication is probably okay in moderation and as a temporary solution. Keep in mind that the function of the liver and the kidneys is to filter out toxins. An overload of toxins can seriously damage these organs. Kidneys don't heal like livers do.

Note: My wife died of kidney failure caused mostly by type II diabetes and a tendency toward getting kidney stones. She had surgery to remove the stones, twice. Both times when she was fairly young.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2018, 01:41:41 PM »
I do have a marijuana card but haven't used it. It's a small source of pride that I was able to withstand peer pressure growing up in Hawaii and never smoking weed. The idea of burning at near 60 years of age does give me pause. Even if it is for health reasons. I've never been drunk or high ever in my life and not eager to do so.

You've been slave to a self-image that, by its pursuit, has destroyed your body. But at least you never smoked a joint!

::)

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2018, 01:56:16 PM »
Cut out all sugar and refined carbs and things should improve (inflammation wise)

The only carbs I eat now are one avocado a day plus one spear of broccoli and a bit of cauliflower and my joints are better than ever.

The rest of my diet is 2 slices of bacon, some eggs and ground beef (or some ribeye occasionally) spread through the day for a total of about 2000 calories. Meals are very small size wise.

I’m 47 years old, 6'3” and 200lbs.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2018, 02:22:24 PM »
Isn't it possible that by putting off the surgery, you are doing more damage? It's not just your knees that are affected, knee pain messes with your whole body including your spine. If you think knee pain is bad, dislocated discs can be murder.

Of course it will get worse as time goes on. At a certain age everything gets worse with time. You just try to last as long as you can. Knee replacement is major surgery and should be the last resort after other options are tried. With Advil I'm fine but can no longer handle the sides. If opiates are easier on the organs I'll try that. Right now I'm being set up for shelves injections.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2018, 02:36:24 PM »

You've been slave to a self-image that, by its pursuit, has destroyed your body. But at least you never smoked a joint!

::)

Yes, everyone's  self image is defined by a large part by what they do. I seemed to be born with a competitive spirit and perhaps pushed myself more than my body could handle to advance in my chosen sport. But I believe you should do something in life. Not just sit in a cocoon and be safe and comfortable. Your self image revolved around your appearance which led to your bulimia and anorexia.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
On my ship the majority of passengers are senior citizens and retirees, tons of them with hip/knee replacements, I've talked with many of them just out of general curiosity. I've never had a passenger tell me that they regret having the surgery, especially ones with knee replacements. Just putting in my two cents. Obviously I would try every route possible besides surgery, but stem cells are expensive and not covered by insurance. I remember somebody telling me once you have one body for your whole life, imagine if you had one car for your whole life, how good would you take care of that car knowing that is your only mode of transportation forever? So in this metaphor it like you are driving a car with a flat tire. Quality of life is everything dude, you are saying you can't even enjoy a nice walk with your dog on a beautiful evening in Hawaii, if I was in your position, I'd definitely go for the surgery bro. Rehab that shit and go out and enjoy life!

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »
Cut out all sugar and refined carbs and things should improve (inflammation wise)

The only carbs I eat now are one avocado a day plus one spear of broccoli and a bit of cauliflower and my joints are better than ever.

The rest of my diet is 2 slices of bacon, some eggs and ground beef (or some ribeye occasionally) spread through the day for a total of about 2000 calories. Meals are very small size wise.

I’m 47 years old, 6'3” and 200lbs.

Been doing that for decades.

Height and weight doesn't mean a whole lot to me. It's body composition. Do you have visible and? Have you ever posted a pic?