Author Topic: Exercise doesn't help lose more weight!  (Read 13148 times)

Dokey111

• Getbig V
Re: Exercise doesn't help lose more weight!
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 04:32:43 AM »
Bunk. Calories are energy fuel. Work output is energy. Stored body mass is energy fuel. Manipulate any of those factors up or down and it will affect body weight one way or the other.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 04:36:17 AM »

I'm stunned that there is anybody here who actually thinks exercising has anything to do with reducing body weight, alone.

I thought we were all clear.  Body is machine, we fuel it.  Body covers itself with spare fuel.  Body doesn't get that fuel, uses spare fuel in fat cells.

Exercise has nothing to do with that other than exacerbating the fuel requirements.

It would if everything else remained constant, but it doesn’t. Runners even have a term for the appetite increase that occurs as a result of all the running, “Runger.”

That said, if you do want to lose body fat , combining exercise and diet will work faster than just diet alone.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 05:05:56 AM »
A pound of fat is 3500 calories. A hard lifting session is between 200 and 300 calories burned. A three mile run is over 300 calories. I also believe exercises increases metabolism because when I run I drop weight quicker than the math would allow for.

Of course a fat lazy people would use a biased flawed study that says it's diet alone. You don't need a study to figure out that water is wet. Swimmers are notorious for eating insane amounts of calories and Division I swimmers are super lean.

chrisbro

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 05:09:17 AM »
I didn't read the article because I will exercise regardless. Still, if you get two identical twins, exact same food intake that maintains their current weight and the exact same job. And when they come home one goes to the gym for two hours six days a week and the other just sits and watches TV. Hard to believe this would not make a difference.

Has your weight changed since you stopped working out?

:D

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 05:22:48 AM »
A pound of fat is 3500 calories. A hard lifting session is between 200 and 300 calories burned. A three mile run is over 300 calories. I also believe exercises increases metabolism because when I run I drop weight quicker than the math would allow for.

Of course a fat lazy people would use a biased flawed study that says it's diet alone. You don't need a study to figure out that water is wet. Swimmers are notorious for eating insane amounts of calories and Division I swimmers are super lean.

At the end of the day the lifter will look way better than the runner

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 05:23:16 AM »
If I do exercise my body heats up and I sweat. Where is this excess heat coming from if not from energy stored in the body being released and converted into heat and motion?

When a car engine produces more power as you depress the accelerator it consumes more fuel, and gets hotter, the fuel tank drains faster and the car gets lighter as a result.

Same thing happens in a human, if you keep your calories constant but increase the workload, the excess energy has to come from somewhere which is the fuel stored in your body. The fuel gets converted to energy and heat and you get lighter.

That isn't what the research found. You have to actually read the research and then ask questions. What most of you are doing is dismissing the research because you can't change the logic that you have accumulated over the decades. The researchers tested the hypothesis many times and with many factors considered but got the same result. The twin who exercises regularly and the twin who is a couch potato all consume the same amount of energy. The exercise doesn't result in a lower bodyweight. That might be difficult to accept but it is what they found. What we have to do is discard our previous ideas and somehow incorporate that research into beliefs about exercise and weight loss. The researchers wanted to know why that was so and asked questions about how we evolved compared to our closest relatives the apes. We evolved larger brains and longevity. Both are adaptations that require adjustments to energy metabolism and use.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 05:47:37 AM »
time to put vince in elderly care facility...vince u should know better i didnt really want u to eat the grass clippings
A

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 05:49:09 AM »
I'm dubious on this whole thread.

Particularly as I believe Vince just quoted someone and somehow manifested the complete opposite point of view from it than was depicted.

milone79

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 05:51:06 AM »
Too many fuckheads go to the gym for an hour and throw round some weights thinking they are burning 1000 calories...lmfao!! Dumb Fucks!!  Diet is everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 05:56:27 AM »
What Herman Pontzer wrote:

"But a funny thing happened on the way to the isotope ratio mass spectrometer. When the analyses came back from Baylor, the Hadza looked like everyone else. Hadza men ate and burned about 2,600 calories a day, Hadza women about 1,900 calories a day—the same as adults in the U.S. or Europe. We looked at the data every way imaginable, accounting for effects of body size, fat percentage, age and sex. No difference. How was it possible? What were we missing? What else were we getting wrong about human biology and evolution?

It seems so obvious and inescapable that physically active people burn more calories that we accept this paradigm without much critical reflection or experimental evidence. But since the 1980s and 1990s, with the advent of the doubly labeled water method, the empirical data have often challenged the conventional wisdom in public health and nutrition. The Hadza result, strange as it seemed, was not some thunderbolt from the blue but more like the first cold drop of water down your neck from a rain that had been building, ignored, for years."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadza_people

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 05:59:58 AM »
I'm dubious on this whole thread.

Particularly as I believe Vince just quoted someone and somehow manifested the complete opposite point of view from it than was depicted.

Meaning he forgets (or 'forgets'?) mentioning the metabolic adaptation part?

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 06:09:16 AM »
All I see is an article talking about evidence with zero evidence other than somebody’s opinion. There’s a link inside the article as well that goes to a page with zero fact-based evidence unless observing a spear-chucking tribe that eats dirt in their mud huts counts as evidence. It’s not like BMR adapts and isn’t lower in the group that is starving or anything.....

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 08:08:42 AM »
Yet another one of Basile’s long winded excuses for his present obese condition

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 08:31:55 AM »
Too many fuckheads go to the gym for an hour and throw round some weights thinking they are burning 1000 calories...lmfao!! Dumb Fucks!!  Diet is everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weight training has a very high rest to work ratio. Most of the time in the gym is spent sitting on a bench staring into space.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 08:48:28 AM »

The point was it's energy in/energy out and the study assumes some magical x factor.

Yes, the body can adapt to +/- work and +/- caloric input and does attempt to retain homeostasis but only over a shorter term. If you walk 10 miles a day and take in 1500 calories at 200lbs you will lose like 20% of your body weight over say a 6 month period. Your body won't magically stay at 200lbs under those conditions because it wants to. Why am I even having to type this?

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »
an excellent article which supports mr canada 1870's theory of "safety fat"

f450

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2018, 09:30:16 AM »
Who goes to the Gym to lose weight? You do that in the kitchen.

You go to the Gym to GAIN muscle.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2018, 11:45:35 AM »
Weight training has a very high rest to work ratio. Most of the time in the gym is spent sitting on a bench staring into space.

This depends on the person and their routine. I make it a point not to rest longer then 30 seconds between sets. My phone stays in my locker and I make an effort to avoid any potentially lengthly conversations.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »
Who goes to the Gym to lose weight? You do that in the kitchen.

You go to the Gym to GAIN muscle.

This is true. It is also true that some of us go to the gym to remain healthy.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »
Good person to take advice on losing weight

X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »
Maybe someone should explain the difference to Vince that weight loss isn’t the same fat loss.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »
Basile could get on "My 600lb Life" as an expert with this level of excuses.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »
Good person to take advice on losing weight

Sometimes we don't see ourselves the way others see us. -Could be the case with Vince.

Ted SuperSet

• Getbig IV
  • America first!
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2018, 01:52:45 PM »
Some of what's covered in the article makes sense. Studies are difficult to refute, particularly if your not a scientist who specializes in the study of exercise and weight loss.

My own experiences tend to support what the article says. When I'm in full exercise mode, I tend to gain weight. This is because exercising makes me feel hungrier then when I don't exercise. In fact, I often have force myself to eat during extended periods of inactivity. Another factor is that I originally started lifting weights some 58 years ago in order to gain weight and I was successful, probably because my doctor simultaneously prescribed D-bol and testosterone because I was so grossly underweight.

As I have come to realize over my lifetime, I have an unusually fast metabolism. I recently confirmed this once again when I decided to stop drinking alcohol. Being as how I was a fairly heavy drinker, I expected to experience detox symptoms, which never happened, so I investigated why this might be. Turns out, people who metabolize alcohol faster, tend to not have hangovers or experience much detox when quitting. The negative result is that I was an alcoholic with little or no symptoms. Rarely did I ever experience drunkenness. Therefore, the usual triggers to let you know when you've had enough don't kick in. I was buying a fifth of scotch pretty much every other day even though I never drank before 5:00 p.m. (a self made rule).

Alcohol is full of empty calories in the form of sugar. Since stopping drinking a little over a week ago, I've lost about a pound a day even though I've forced myself to eat more. In addition, I lowered my carbohydrate and upped protein intake.

The bottom line is that not all people fit into generalized studies. There are always exceptions.

For how long have you been a heavy drinker?
Not drinking for 1 week is not "i stopped drinking".
You might want to seek professional help if you really want to stop.

Ted SuperSet

• Getbig IV
  • America first!
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »
At the end of the day the lifter will look way better than the runner

absolutely  runners and cyclists look weak. often skinnyfat.