Author Topic: Exercise doesn't help lose more weight!  (Read 13136 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Exercise doesn't help lose more weight!
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »
absolutely  runners and cyclists look weak. often skinnyfat.

In other words, like most Dutch men :-X ;D

ilalin

• Getbig IV
  • Боже правде
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2018, 02:16:39 PM »
Looking at one research article and taking it at face value is not very smart.
Start with a logical approach, 1000's of papers show the exercise will help burn calories. One or maybe few show the opposite. What is the prevailing notion?

Now, if you wanted to discuss the article since you might be interested in details how the research was set-up, that is different. Unfortunately, there are quite a few organizations that will publish research papers without proper peer-review.

Be careful what you choose to read and believe.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2018, 02:30:22 PM »
For how long have you been a heavy drinker?
Not drinking for 1 week is not "i stopped drinking".
You might want to seek professional help if you really want to stop.

Thanks for the advice. I've over indulged when drinking at home for more than a decade. I don't plan to quit ALCOHOL altogether. My plan is to stop drinking at home alone because that's the only time I over indulge. When I am at a social occasion, I maybe have two drinks and I'm done.

If I revert to over-indulgent, solitary drinking, I will seek professional help. Hopefully, that won't be necessary. I have a good record of breaking bad habits and sticking to it.

When I was in my twenties, I smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day. I decided to quit. I never smoked cigarettes again. This was 45 years ago. Several years ago, a friend brought two very expensive cigars when he and his wife came to dinner. To be polite, I smoked with him. It was a real chore since I never cared for cigars.

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2018, 02:39:55 PM »
That isn't what the research found. You have to actually read the research and then ask questions. What most of you are doing is dismissing the research because you can't change the logic that you have accumulated over the decades. The researchers tested the hypothesis many times and with many factors considered but got the same result. The twin who exercises regularly and the twin who is a couch potato all consume the same amount of energy. The exercise doesn't result in a lower bodyweight. That might be difficult to accept but it is what they found. What we have to do is discard our previous ideas and somehow incorporate that research into beliefs about exercise and weight loss. The researchers wanted to know why that was so and asked questions about how we evolved compared to our closest relatives the apes. We evolved larger brains and longevity. Both are adaptations that require adjustments to energy metabolism and use.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that, on average, an adult American woman needs between 1,800 and 2,400 kcal each day to support her normal activities. The range for adult men is between 2,400 and 3,000 kcal.

Compare these numbers to the calories burned by a professional cyclist riding in the Tour de France. Riders will typically burn about 4,000 kcal on an "easy" stage. Average stages require between 4,000 and 6,000 kcal. Grueling mountain stages demand calorie burns of 7,000 kcal or more. A Tour de France rider will burn enough calories during a six-hour mountain stage to fuel an average person's activity for two to four days.

Nutritionists who work for the teams that ride in the Tour de France try to provide each rider with a daily diet of 6,000 to 8,000 kcal. To fulfill these high-calorie diets the riders consume both liquid and solid food from the moment they get up in the morning to the moment they go to bed at night.

The goal may be to consume 6,000 to 8,000 calories a day but few riders are successful at meeting this goal throughout the course of the Tour. They inevitably fall behind and once that occurs, it's almost impossible to catch up. When calorie intake falls behind demand, the body begins to feed on itself to get the energy it needs to finish the stage.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2016/07/18/fueling-the-peloton-in-the-tour-de-france/#4eda141e3fbd

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »
Weight training has a very high rest to work ratio. Most of the time in the gym is spent sitting on a bench staring into space.

texting on your phone, watching TV, reading a magazine.... When you go to a gym nowadays, most people spend, easily, 85% of their time doing absolutely nothing physical.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2018, 03:23:30 PM »
That isn't what the research found. You have to actually read the research and then ask questions. What most of you are doing is dismissing the research because you can't change the logic that you have accumulated over the decades. The researchers tested the hypothesis many times and with many factors considered but got the same result. The twin who exercises regularly and the twin who is a couch potato all consume the same amount of energy. The exercise doesn't result in a lower bodyweight. That might be difficult to accept but it is what they found. What we have to do is discard our previous ideas and somehow incorporate that research into beliefs about exercise and weight loss. The researchers wanted to know why that was so and asked questions about how we evolved compared to our closest relatives the apes. We evolved larger brains and longevity. Both are adaptations that require adjustments to energy metabolism and use.

If I followed every bit of research that came.out over the years I'd probably  look and feel like shit.

I don't give a fuck what this says or you say, my life experience tells me otherwise. I'll stick to cardio training and diet while they still try and figure shit out. Thanks.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »
texting on your phone, watching TV, reading a magazine.... When you go to a gym nowadays, most people spend, easily, 85% of their time doing absolutely nothing physical.

Recently while in a gym, I heard a woman talking loudly, so I look in the direction of the voice and I see somebody on a lat  pulldown machine. I keep looking around but there’s no one else in the area. It turned out the woman was talking on her headset phone DURING a set of lat pulldowns. The bitch couldn’t shut the fuck up for 20 seconds to do a set. Not surprisingly, she looked like shit.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2018, 04:35:29 PM »
If I followed every bit of research that came.out over the years I'd probably  look and feel like shit.

I don't give a fuck what this says or you say, my life experience tells me otherwise. I'll stick to cardio training and diet while they still try and figure shit out. Thanks.

Yes, of course, what is the test of truth when it comes to accepting or believing anything? Scientists have quite a different test to most of the flotsam on Getbig.

I guess most here are completely incapable of learning anything new about physiology. We take our false beliefs to our graves.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2018, 04:48:53 PM »
Start with a logical approach, 1000's of papers show the exercise will help burn calories. One or maybe few show the opposite. What is the prevailing notion?

Now, if you wanted to discuss the article since you might be interested in details how the research was set-up, that is different. Unfortunately, there are quite a few organizations that will publish research papers without proper peer-review.

Starting with a logical approach? Broscience? No way you are going to learn anything that way. You just reinforce your strongly held beliefs.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2018, 06:12:32 PM »
could be true, u may shit a higher proportion if calories too high
A

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2018, 02:55:23 AM »

Yes, of course, what is the test of truth when it comes to accepting or believing anything? Scientists have quite a different test to most of the flotsam on Getbig.

I guess most here are completely incapable of learning anything new about physiology. We take our false beliefs to our graves.

You're clinging to this one study for dear life. Go ahead and sit at home like a vegetable and pretend it's helping you stay lean. Then post another one of your delusionaly  based pictures so we can laugh some more.

This isn't anything new. We've had many guys talk about how you dont need to do A,b and c. And almost all of them look like shit. Again. Thanks. But no thanks .

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2018, 03:05:19 AM »

Somehow this common sense went right over his head. Now all other studies are bro science.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2018, 03:55:07 AM »
I came across an article via the UBC Alumni Library that allows us to access scientific journals.

The findings contradicts what bodybuilders, gym owners and PE teachers believed about weight loss.

Comparisons were made between active and inactive similar groups and found the energy used to be about equal.

In other words being active or doing exercise doesn't make you use more calories! That really is a surprise and needs to be explained.

Here is a link to The Exercise Paradox.

https://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/show/why_physical_activity_does_little_to_control_weight

GTFO.   What nonsense but lard asses making excuses for their obesity and laziness issues

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2018, 05:01:26 AM »
You're clinging to this one study for dear life. Go ahead and sit at home like a vegetable and pretend it's helping you stay lean. Then post another one of your delusionaly  based pictures so we can laugh some more.

This isn't anything new. We've had many guys talk about how you dont need to do A,d and c. And almost all of them look like shit. Again. Thanks. But no thanks .

There are several uneducated muscle heads here. I search for the truth. That photo was stolen from a site of mine before I had a password.

I examine research and do even more research. Gradually the truth will emerge. Sometimes things have to change because of that research.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2018, 05:05:21 AM »
Yet another one of Basile’s long winded excuses for his present obese condition

That pretty much sums up Vince' 'motivation' to start this thread with his 'safety fat' nonsense, as if he's living like a caveman ::)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2018, 05:19:53 AM »
Who wouldn’t take advice on weight loss from this mountain of shredded muscle?!?

X

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2018, 05:28:36 AM »
Herman Pontzer is an anthropologist at Hunter College. He wrote:

"All of this evidence points toward obesity being a disease of gluttony rather than sloth. People gain weight when the calories they eat exceed the calories they expend. If daily energy expenditure has not changed over the course of human history, the primary culprit in the modern obesity pandemic must be the calories consumed. This should not be news. The old adage in public health is that “you can’t outrun a bad diet,” and experts know from personal experience and lots of data that just hitting the gym to lose weight is frustratingly ineffective. But the new science helps to explain why exercise is such a poor tool for weight loss. It is not that we are not trying hard enough. Our bodies have been plotting against us from the start."

No wonder you are obese - pathetic 

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2018, 05:47:11 AM »
Who wouldn’t take advice on weight loss from this mountain of shredded muscle?!?

Haha he’s built like a barrel of shit

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2018, 05:49:01 AM »
I came across an article via the UBC Alumni Library that allows us to access scientific journals.

The findings contradicts what bodybuilders, gym owners and PE teachers believed about weight loss.

Comparisons were made between active and inactive similar groups and found the energy used to be about equal.

In other words being active or doing exercise doesn't make you use more calories! That really is a surprise and needs to be explained.

Here is a link to The Exercise Paradox.

https://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/show/why_physical_activity_does_little_to_control_weight

If Bodybuilder quit clenbuterol among other "supps"  they might come to that conclusion .

WooOSHHHHHH  TA NA KA

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2018, 06:39:55 AM »
You see, most here are incapable of discussing or even comprehending complex ideas. Such widespread thickness can not be penetrated by any manner of enlightenment.

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2018, 06:41:47 AM »
(drugs aside)  calorie intake being equal, the more exercise you do the more weight you lose.

this kind of sht is just to make lazy aholes feel better

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2018, 06:42:46 AM »
You see, most here are incapable of discussing or even comprehending complex ideas. Such widespread thickness can not be penetrated by any manner of enlightenment.

False.   You posted a ridiculous idiotic study that belies common sense experience and reality and can’t deal w getting called out in it.  

Start exercising and you will see that it might help with your weight issues

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2018, 06:48:12 AM »

By stating 'Exercise doesn't help lose more weight!' you have no clue yourself about interpreting this study. After a while the body adapts to a given stress, which is an important distinction.

chrisbro

• Getbig III
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2018, 07:39:32 AM »
well i can eat my Jelly Donut now

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2018, 08:40:14 AM »
By stating 'Exercise doesn't help lose more weight!' you have no clue yourself about interpreting this study. After a while the body adapts to a given stress, which is an important distinction.

Morbidly obese people always have an excuse - hence this post.