Author Topic: The Johnson Smith Co. has gone out of business!  (Read 2483 times)

Roast Beef Pecs

• Getbig III
The Johnson Smith Co. has gone out of business!
« on: February 15, 2020, 06:41:55 PM »
I can't believe it.

Roast Beef Pecs

• Getbig III
Re: The Johnson Smith Co. has gone out of business!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 06:43:08 PM »

Roast Beef Pecs

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 06:46:21 PM »

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 08:05:27 PM »
Roast Beef Pecs, are you familiar with the Ironage catalog distributing company, "Consumer's Distributing"?  Oddly enough, it had 12% more stores in Canada than it had in the USA, despite the USA having [as today] roughly 10x the population of Canada, lol.  There were 217 outlets in the USA, and 243 in Canada, in the Consumers Distributing empire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumers_Distributing

I have fond memories of going there as a child during the Ironage, and possibly even more fond memories of simply looking at Ironage WATCHES in the catalog itself, which I enjoyed perusing through more than video games for whatever reason, lol.  I thought it strange, until a guy two years older who went to my school [the now-defunct Ironage elementary school, Pine St. School {1919-1994}, in my city] grabbed the catalog one day, and said "I don't want to check out video games like everyone else.  I want to check out the best section - watches!"  I was like "LOLz, I guess I'm not the only one."

I couldn't find the section of Ironage watches, but this is the catalog I'm talking about, and a section from it containing Ironage video games:

Roast Beef Pecs

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 08:14:46 PM »
Roast Beef Pecs, are you familiar with the Ironage catalog distributing company, "Consumer's Distributing"?  Oddly enough, it had 12% more stores in Canada than it had in the USA, despite the USA having [as today] roughly 10x the population of Canada, lol.  There were 217 outlets in the USA, and 243 in Canada, in the Consumers Distributing empire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumers_Distributing

I have fond memories of going there as a child during the Ironage, and possibly even more fond memories of simply looking at Ironage WATCHES in the catalog itself, which I enjoyed perusing through more than video games for whatever reason, lol.  I thought it strange, until a guy two years older who went to my school [the now-defunct Ironage elementary school, Pine St. School {1919-1994}, in my city] grabbed the catalog one day, and said "I don't want to check out video games like everyone else.  I want to check out the best section - watches!"  I was like "LOLz, I guess I'm not the only one."

I couldn't find the section of Ironage watches, but this is the catalog I'm talking about, and a section from it containing Ironage video games:
Not in the same class as Johnson Smith. Not even in yhe same Universe. In fact, I would encourage you to delete that post.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »

Remember it well from all the comic books.  Now glad I didn't even have the few dollars to order any of the many things I wanted then.  Looks like a scam and a ripoff.  A phaser?  A hover car?  Glad they went out of business like Cybergenics.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 08:33:02 PM »
Remember it well from all the comic books.  Now glad I didn't even have the few dollars to order any of the many things I wanted then.  Looks like a scam and a ripoff.  A phaser?  A hover car?  Glad they went out of business like Cybergenics.

Hover Car was legit.  Built one in the Boy Scouts with a canister vacuum.   It had to propulsion so you had to have someone push or guide you.   Lot of awesome products but in the age of Amazon and social media, it was just a matter of time
A

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 10:27:22 PM »
Always in the back of comics and Boy Scout magazines. Bought stuff from them mail order when I was a kid. Took like 6 weeks to arrive, haha. PIP

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 12:11:42 AM »
Not in the same class as Johnson Smith. Not even in yhe same Universe. In fact, I would encourage you to delete that post.

LOL!!!  Sorry.  :-\

Out of curiosity, do you know the sales volume of this goods distribution empire?

I was watching a great Ironage episode of Columbo - the last episode of season seven, "The Conspirators" - and there was a pinball machine with the name "Gottlieb" in it [Jewish name].  I looked up this pinball empire on Wikipedia, and read about the trajectory of the now-defunct company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gottlieb

I love that Wikipedia outlines the rise and fall of these former Jewish empires.

There are also some good YouTube videos - and even full channels - on the subject:

ColdFusion does a lot of good videos like that too!

Roast Beef Pecs - do you know if the Rothschild family controlled the Johnson Smith Company?  According to this meme, the Rothschild family controls the totality of all global economic activity:

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 04:51:48 AM »
Loved looking at their new catalog every year.

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 11:55:17 AM »
This is sad, but I'm surprised the company lasted this long.

Back in the early 1960's, I used to receive their catalog.  It was mega cool.

In addition to all their novelties, they used to also sell small exercise, bodybuilding items.  For example, hand grips, chest expanders, isometric ropes, etc.  I bought many of them, they were only a couple of dollars, all in my dreams of growing up to be a Mr. Olympia.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 09:50:43 AM »
What's next the JC Whitney catalog? Oh the humanity!