Author Topic: Samir or Dorian  (Read 4149 times)

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Samir or Dorian
« on: October 22, 2021, 07:09:14 AM »

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
Re: Samir or Dorian
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 07:34:27 AM »
Samir no question.

Les Grossman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 07:41:58 AM »
Samir

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 07:48:04 AM »
Yates by miles. Samir was about 5'7" and 190lbs when he won the Olympia.  Yates was 5'10" 267 on stage hard and ripped. Samir would disappear standing next to Dorian in a back pose. Having said that Samir has one of the best backs of all time.

One story I remember Samir telling. He saw Mentzer and Viator both fail to deadlift 585lbs during a back workout. Samir walked over and not only lifted it but did some reps.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 07:53:28 AM »
Yates by miles. Samir was about 5'7" and 190lbs when he won the Olympia.  Yates was 5'10" 267 on stage hard and ripped. Samir would disappear standing next to Dorian in a back pose. Having said that Samir has one of the best backs of all time.

One story I remember Samir telling. He saw Mentzer and Viator both fail to deadlift 585lbs during a back workout. Samir walked over and not only lifted it but did some reps.

"where the fuck did this lower back come from?"
I think was the term he said they used...

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 08:04:39 AM »
Dorian, no question.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 08:18:28 AM »

Like Lee Labrada did when he stood against all the other 6ft bodybuilders?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 08:29:02 AM »
Always thought Dorian was somewhat overrated.

Some people argue that he was the greatest of all time. First of all, those are probably Neo Nazis, and second, he didn't deserve to win 2 to 3 of his Olympia titles. I have Ronnie, Arnold, Haney, and Heath ahead of him.

And the biggest knock to Dorian, isn't his fault. It was the judges. They gifted him a few titles when he was off, and had suffered from multiple muscle tears.

My bottomline: I understand if he was your favorite bodybuilder, but nobody should have him as the greatest of all time.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 08:32:45 AM »
Samir

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 08:41:07 AM »
Both useless to us now.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 08:44:32 AM »
Both useless to us now.
Were they ever useful to anyone but schmoes?

I respect the physique. I don't ogle them.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 08:47:38 AM »
In that pose alone I'd say Samir.
Backs are equivalent and Samir has better arms

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 08:48:34 AM »

I'm glad you included Samir here.

I understand the difficulty in assessing physiques and controlling for height disparities...it is difficult. Also, era-adjusting is difficult.

I don't think there should ever be a list of greatest backs that excludes Samir.

I think Samir beats Dorian on every basis, except overall mass, and density - that grainy conditioning that Dorian had.

This thread also reminds me of the 1983 Mr. Olympia. I don't think any [or at least - many] had Bertil Fox beating Samir Bannout...but I think it was a robbery that Bertil was out of the top 3.

I think Bertil should have been 3rd for sure.

Here was the top 5:

1st - Samir Bannout [deserving winner]
2nd - Mohamed Makkawy
3rd - Lee Haney
4th - Frank Zane
5th - Bertil Fox

Is it wrong for me to think Bertil should have been 2nd?

Back to Samir - I think we also need to consider that Samir was 189-lb in that photo. I don't think Samir competed over 210 [correct me if I'm wrong].

Dorian was closer to 259-lb there. So I think considering the 70-lb weight advantage, Samir is more than holding his own.

It makes me wonder how Samir would look, had he competed in the "chemical area", starting about ten years after his prime.

Tom Platz said that Samir was the most gifted bodybuilder going in to the 1988 Mr. Olympia. That's a big compliment, given the lineup, which includes Lee Haney, Rich Gaspari, and many other greats.

I'm probably biased here though - Samir once complimented my physique. To get a compliment like that from a former Mr. Olympia, and easily one of the most aesthetic Mr. Olympia winners ever. That was one of the greatest compliments I've ever received in my life. I was literally taken aback by his compliment, just given his status in bodybuilding history. Maybe he just wanted me to buy his supplements.  ;D

I saw Samir just prior to that Masters contest they had [I think in 2011]. Samir said that he made some mistakes dialing in - and I can tell you from how he looked about a month or so before the contest, that he was not just making excuses. He looked great.

I know Samir trained hard as a bodybuilder, but I sometimes wonder how great it must be to have genetics like that. I guarantee a person with Samir's genetics can train once a week, and look better than 90% of men who are fully dedicated to training and nutrition.

JackTheRipper

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 08:49:14 AM »
Always thought Dorian was somewhat overrated.

Some people argue that he was the greatest of all time. First of all, those are probably Neo Nazis, and second, he didn't deserve to win 2 to 3 of his Olympia titles. I have Ronnie, Arnold, Haney, and Heath ahead of him.

And the biggest knock to Dorian, isn't his fault. It was the judges. They gifted him a few titles when he was off, and had suffered from multiple muscle tears.

My bottomline: I understand if he was your favorite bodybuilder, but nobody should have him as the greatest of all time.
Did you lift today?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 08:52:00 AM »
Did you lift today?
Did You ask Lonnie Teper that same question? Never base an opinion on a physique.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2021, 08:52:48 AM »

JackTheRipper

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 08:53:55 AM »
Dorian all the way. He brought class with mass into the Game. Pictures on the internet are misleading. Proof is who was actually there and saw these guys.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 09:06:34 AM »
Dorian all the way. He brought class with mass into the Game. Pictures on the internet are misleading. Proof is who was actually there and saw these guys.

They aren't standing side by side and the Samir's photo is enlarged.  In real life this wouldn't even be a contest.  Dorian had almost a sixty pound advantage on Samir.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2021, 09:08:02 AM »
And neither of them could hold a candle against Phil or Kai

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2021, 09:35:16 AM »
My interpretation of the question is "who has the better back in these comparison photos", not who is better overall.

Samir without question has the superior back in these photos.

Sir Bicep

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 09:53:04 AM »

Game Over

bLuEeYes

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2021, 10:01:25 AM »

Game Over

Is he the greek bald guy who used to compete years ago?

Joel Stubbs has a better back

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 10:36:39 AM »
Yates

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee