Author Topic: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.  (Read 81936 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2022, 12:50:40 PM »

::)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2022, 09:51:27 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2022, 10:26:23 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2022, 01:08:55 PM »
   How Long Should a Workout Session Last?

A training session properly performed should never take much longer than 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes. This should be adhered to regardless of the training endeavors (body building, powerlifting or training for a specific sport, etc.).

This time factor for training will allow for the maximum of 1 to 2 minutes rest between sets, two minutes rest between different bodyparts, and the average time of 1 minute (6 seconds to perform one rep) to properly perform 10 reps. Also taken into consideration is the time needed for sufficient warmups preceding the various exercises. Following brief and intense workouts in the manner we have discussed thus far will allow you to do as much as possible in the shortest amount of time, and you can fully recuperate while almost constantly stimulating your muscles into growth.

Best Time of the Day to Train

Scientific research indicates that energy and strength levels in the human body reach a peak around 3 to 4 p.m. each day. Society demands that we buy food and pay rent, etc., so in order to meet these demands we are obliged to seek employment. Due to our obligations in this area we find that the average body builder works on an average job from 8 to 5 p.m. daily five or six days per week. Unfortunately the vast majority of us can't train at this seemingly IDEAL TIME. The one and only suggestion I can make in this case is to "Train at that time which is at your convenience. Train either before or after your evening meal if this is your preference.

Some body builders who work on night shifts (graveyard -- midnight to 8 a.m.) find training time difficult. For you individuals in this situation may I offer these brief suggestions. The BEST plan is to take a nap of several hours and then begin your training session an hour after waking up. Now after your training session you might like to eat a meal, then you can get the rest of your sleep before going to work. If you are one of those who CAN'T break up the sleep in this way, I think the next best solution is to train IMMEDIATELY after work IF YOUR WORK ISN'T TOO STRENUOUS. Above all, you should never skip your training sessions while on this shift.

The Importance of Sleep

Our muscles grow when we are resting or sleeping. It is during this period of deep rest that the body's chemical processes are given a chance to supply the muscle cells with vital food components, obtained from proper nutritional habits, so necessary for building size and strength.

So one can immediately see the need for sound sleep and/or rest to make reasonable progress.

How much sleep is necessary? For the body builder or athlete a minimum of eight hours per night is a must. Depending on your daily expenditure of energy (job, family, workouts, involvement in sports, etc.) you could sleep as much as nine to 10 hours per night.

How to Warm Up Before Exercising

It isn't enough to do only one or two general warmup exercises (calisthenics, running in place, pushups, etc.) at the beginning of your workout schedule. You should warm up with each specific exercise that you will be using for a certain bodypart, before giving it everything you're got. The secret is to warm up the muscle without fatiguing it in the process.

A good warmup procedure to follow is to perform 1 or 2 sets, resting 30 seconds maximum between sets) per individual exercise using 2/3 of your maximum repetition poundage. For example, if your maximum poundage for 10 reps in the bench press is 200 pounds, you would use approximately 135 pounds for two warmup sets. Proper warmups will benefit you in many ways.

1) Warmups help to reduce muscle injury. When a muscle hasn't been warmed up sufficiently, it may tear or pull if it is suddenly required to contract against a maximum application of effort.

2) Warmups increase blood flow to the muscle area being worked.

3) Warmups tune up the nervous system. This opens up the nerve pathways between the brain and the muscle being worked.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2022, 11:08:37 AM »
Last week we covered the first 10 questions from a 2005 OnFitness interview. Today I'll drop you off at the second set of 10. Here we go!
Q11) You often speak of weight lifting as glorious. What do you mean by this? Is weightlifting a spiritual experience for you?
Not exactly. It’s wonderful hard work; it hurts, it’s irritating and can be harmful if you’re not smart... and we're not smart all the time. It’s time consuming, obsessive and can be boring. You never seem to improve and are rarely pleased with the results. And no matter what you do, it’s either too much or not enough. That’s nothing: You miss a workout and get nervous; you miss two and you can’t talk civilly with anyone and if you miss three, it’s best if you don’t go out in public.
No, come to think of it, weight training is not a religious experience.
The strange thing is -- I’m not a lone maniac -- we love it. It’s absolutely amazing, soul energizing, irresistible and addictive, character building, mind clearing, stress reducing, actually muscle building, fat eliminating and bone strengthening. It’ll take a broken person, and fix that person, body, mind and spirit, and I’m not making that up or repeating what I heard or read. Lift long enough and arrogance is replaced by humility and fear by courage and selfishness by generosity and rudeness by compassion and caring.
Q12)  What modality of lifting did you use when preparing yourself for contests?
Something like this: My routine would remain some variation of the basic bar, dumbbell and cable movements hitting each muscle group (3 or 4 different exercises per bodypart, 5 sets x 8 to 12 reps of each) twice a week over a 6-day week. At 8 weeks out, I’d lighten the weights used in each exercise, superset, be precise in form, gear up my training pace and increase the contraction of each rep. I’d tune in my training and exercise choice daily to accommodate my muscle-working needs. Urges, body feelings and instincts guide me here. I’d rest and relax more and stress less to ensure repair and well-being.
I’d tighten my already good eating plan by removing milk products the final month and lower the carbs to only salads, and increase my fish intake as I sought calorie reorganization. Thus, I’d sustain an anabolic environment with increased protein and sufficient carbs and good fats, being certain I didn’t sacrifice energy and muscle in the quest of fat loss and definition. To this, I’d add minimal salt, lottsa water, the usual vitamins and minerals, amino acids and positive thinking and visualizing, hope and prayer. 
Q13) I love your philosophy of “train hard, eat right and be happy!"  It is so true when you say, “what you eat is what you get.”  Today, eating right can be a complicated thing. There are thousands of diet books and advice of how to eat right and it can be very confusing. You say, “Feeding yourself healthfully is a primary factor in preventing injury on the gym floor." What nutrition advice can you give to our readers?
Nutrition is an interesting and complex subject, yet what we need to know as muscle builders and lifters is simple and forthright. Keep it simple. Why tangle with the subject unless it absolutely fascinates you? Even then, don’t expect knowledge to take the place of hard work, discipline, consistency and common sense. There are no secrets, shortcuts or easy ways to gain fitness, lose fat and gain muscle size, shape and definition. There's only the true, challenging and fun way: Train hard, eat right and be strong, and be happy, and be positive, and be good.
The short list:
> Eat a well-balanced natural food diet with an accent on protein, an absence of sugar, low in carbohydrate and a medium supply of good fat.   
> Eat six smaller, well-balanced meals evenly spaced throughout the day -- let’s say every three hours.
> As a weight-lifter and muscle-builder, reach for lean red meat, poultry and fish for your primary protein needs. Certainly include full-fat milk products (cottage cheese, yogurt, milk) and eggs. Nuts and beans are decent, minor sources of amino acids, but not the golden gems.
> Bring on the natural foods: vegetables, salads by the bowlful and some favorite fruit (high in sugar, so be careful).
> Ingest no fried foods, junk food, pop, sugary deserts, candy, cakes and the like.
> Serve yourself a pre-workout and post-workout protein shake (just before and just after is swell) similar to the breakfast shake to assure energy, endurance and a healthy pump, and for muscle repair and rebuilding. Don’t train on empty. Your body will seek fuel from your existing muscle mass. Have mercy.
> Drink water all day long.
> Add a high-quality vitamin and mineral to your diet and two tablespoons of essential fatty acids (EFAs).
> Be consistent, patient and certain.
Q14) What do you prefer, free weights or machines? Is one safer than the other?
I prefer free weights if I had to choose only one modality. As it is, I find cables important for the effective engagement of a variety of muscle groups -- pulldowns for lats, seated cable rows for back, cable crossovers for pecs, pushdowns for tris, etc.
Machines come into play as comfortable alternatives when limited by injury, isolating a muscle group or for a change of pace. As they follow a designated groove, they're limited in muscle recruitment, yet provide protection and direction for the novice and under-trained -- like training wheels for the first-time junior bicyclist. Some machines are more useful than others; some are no use at all.
“The weights are where it’s at, man.”   Anonymous
Q15) In your opinion, what's the most dangerous information being taught today?
It comes in waves. Crazy, mad techniques come from the gyms and garages of the diehards, and die hard they do. For the healthy fitness seeker and well-balanced muscle builder, weight training is straightforward work -- sets and reps, logical body movement and intensity of output that matches one’s personality. Train hard but not suicidal; push but don’t punish; exceed but don’t bleed; bomb it but don’t vomit.
There are some who have the notion that training furiously for 30 minutes every 7th to 10th day (whatever) is the true way of the real champion iron-and-steel muscle builder. Monster weight times monster reps equals monster muscles and power; keep the pail and smelling salts handy. I don’t know. I scratch my head and wonder, “Do they like to train; do their joints operate freely; do they do this forever?”
Q16) When asked, what's the one thing you'd change about mainstream fitness, you once replied, “The accent on aerobics.” Can you elaborate on this?
Aerobic exercise has been over-emphasized, a symptom of the run-and-get-fit mentality that broke out like hives in the 1970s. “Run, my child. It is the answer.” It was written and everyone believed.
In quick response, the Main Street assemblylines began turning out treadmills and stationary bikes like they were model Ts. We walk, we run, how about climbing? Stairmasters are for you. Wait, there’s more. Elliptical trainers, recumbent bikes, rowers and rooms packed with aerobic dancers. Jump and scream.
All other exercise -- namely, the weights -- was shifted to the back of the gym and people preferably ran their pants off while they watched TV and read People Magazine.
In time, the heart and lungs came out on top, some fat was lost and no overall muscles were built; no strength, little discipline, no creativity. Each year a new model aerobic machine came out like another BMW. The manufacturers grew rich and the users, for the most part already lacking in commitment and discipline, were misdirected, mislead, convinced of a half-truth and disappointed. This is boring and my knees and lower back hurt.
I’m not partial; I’m professional.  Some aerobic exercise is good; too much is too much and the benefits the activity promises are an exaggeration, a misconception, and a self-elaborated deception. A person wants to believe it works because "they" said so and it’s simple, easy and hopeful.
An ordinary person who wants to build muscle, lose fat and get in shape needs at least 80-percent hardy resistance training (it’s wonderful) and maybe 20-percent high intensity interval training (HITT; it’s exhilarating). And then eat right and be consistent, positive and motivated.
Q17) What's your take on all these diet fads?
They're endless and confusing, also silly, frightening or absurd if one should examine them. Again, it’s the Main Street assemblyline at work to make a buck off the agitated, naive and seeking populace: sell a book, sell an article, sell a plan -- convince the consuming public they’re a professional, an expert, a guru.
We need to be more discerning as we gather information personal to self. This is simple stuff if we break out our common sense, stop and think.
Q18) What advice can you give personal trainers to be the best they can be?
Spend the next 20 years practicing this stuff and go out there with a big heart and a generous spirit and show your client passionately how it's done. If you don’t have 20 years, recognize who you are and apply yourself wisely and humbly according to your knowledge and understanding. You’re there to help people help themselves, to teach them, and make them better than ever. Listen to them, get to know them, appreciate them, ask the right questions and empathize with them as well as you can (that’s why experience is so important). Evaluate them and plan a routine that will begin slowly yet deliberately as you continue to observe their personalities and needs, and gain their confidence.
Most of all, encourage them and share your good energy. Motivate them and give them hope. Make them work hard in due time. Don’t pamper and thus weaken them; that's not good for either of you. Count to 10 when necessary, and be forgiving but be strong. And always be honest, be yourself. 
If this doesn’t work, it’s back to bagging at Safeway. You need help out to your car with your groceries, m'am?
Q19) What are some of the most common mistakes you see personal trainers making?
Other than the occasional improper instruction and wrong information, socializing, chatting incessantly, losing focus, too much assistance and too little or too much energy top the list.
I know everyone wants another person’s approval, especially when the other person’s paying them. Being exceedingly nice and helpful goes a long way. I’d quickly establish a real and consistent work mode, a crisp and alert training atmosphere to earn their appreciation. A friendly and professional attitude in itself is commendable and rewarding: work hard, get the job done, understand the process and enjoy the fulfillment. Responsible seriousness can easily be sprinkled with persuasion and encouragement to soften its hard edge, and comic relief is an oasis amid tough sets and reps.
I’d avoid silliness, chatting too much and any distractions from the wonderful task at hand. No sport talk, no politics or dirty jokes, and for crying out loud, don’t hand them the weights as they sit on the bench and don't become their workhorse or minion. Be strong and in charge. This is weight lifting, not breakfast at Tiffany’s. You’ll both be more productive and grateful and still be friends.
Q20) What are your current training exercises and nutrition intake?
The condensed answers to the huge questions are as follows:
Training -- I train with the weights four days a week for two hours a workout. With form, focus and a steady pace I practice the basic movements, which include squats, deadlifts, flat and incline presses with barbells and dumbbells, wide-grip pulldowns, seated cable rows, cable crossovers, barbell and dumbbell rows, assorted barbell and dumbbell curls, dips, lying triceps extensions, stiff-arm pullovers and farmer walks. I train for maximum muscle intensity each set with a keen eye on overload, overtraining and injury. I perform supersets in assorted push-pull combinations; train each bodypart twice a week, hit five sets of each exercise commonly for sets of 12, 10, 8, 6, 6 reps. And I practice single-set power training for one or two training sessions every three weeks.
For cardio, I currently do 20 minutes of vigorous, nonstop midsection work, which includes crunches, rope tucks, hanging leg raises, incline leg raises and hyperextensions at the start of each workout.
Nutrition -- I eat six meals regularly, every three hours throughout the day. I start with a protein shake of full-fat milk, two raw pastured eggs, three scoops of Bomber Blend, banana and a glob of peanut butter. The water bottle follows me everywhere I go.
Twice a day, late morning and mid-afternoon, I have a 6-8 ounce portion of skirt steak, 12 ounces of milk, a scoop of cottage cheese, some sliced vegetables and a couple of baked red potatoes the size of silver dollars.
A can of tuna is opened at any off-guard mealtime, eaten out of the can and accompanied with some handy vegetables, cottage cheese and lots of water. It works.
Baked chicken is an evening meal when one more skirt steak is one too many. I love salad, and broccoli and beans and spinach are big at my house. Add milk products again.
Special note: Thrown in prior to my mid-day workout and upon its completion are 16 ounces super-duty protein shakes with a teaspoon of amino acids and creatine.
Before bedtime, it’s a full-fat yogurt with mixed nuts or a quick protein shake if I'm stuffed, plus my dose of Super Spectrim vitamins and minerals. Good night...   
There you have it, typos, poor grammar, inanity and all.
God’s speed... Dave draper
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2022, 10:02:35 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2022, 04:41:32 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2022, 09:15:29 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2022, 06:07:42 AM »
 Dave Draper, the blond icon of the ’60s bodybuilding lifestyle, died November 30 at 79. This is his story.

When he had saved up enough from delivering groceries, a teenager rode two buses and hiked six blocks from his Secaucus, New Jersey, home to the Weider headquarters in Union City to buy weight plates for the barbell he had previously purchased there, and then he hauled the weights back those same six blocks and two bus rides. Each time, he rang the buzzer inside the building’s small lobby and an opaque window slid open, revealing the smiling face and gargantuan arms of the loquacious Leroy Colbert. Eventually, in 1962, that local kid had grown enough to attract the attention of the boss. In Dave Draper’s recollection, they met on the loading dock where Draper was adding a pair of 35-pound plates to his collection, and Joe Weider, ever the bodybuilder, always fishing for a compliment, asked the kid how he (Joe) looked. The boss hired the 20-year-old as a part-time shipping clerk. Draper was mystified by what Weider saw in him because, “I was big and strong but covered in fat.” Weider said the blond, six-foot Dave Draper “looked like the kid next door and people could identify with him.” On their lunch hours, that kid trained with Colbert in the warehouse.

Dave Draper biography
Smooth Draper’s first cover, Dec. 1963

In 1963 Weider opened a West Coast product distributorship near Muscle Beach in Santa Monica, California. Draper agreed to relocate, with his wife and young daughter, to work there with 1962 Mr. Universe George Eiferman. He recalled his first day when Eiferman drove him from the airport to Zucky’s Deli, a popular bodybuilders’ hangout in Santa Monica: “There were clean streets and palm trees, blue skies and warm breezes, the lush Pacific palisades and a sense of hope. George was an old friend before we finished our first cup of coffee, and I remembered New Jersey no more.”

The Beach Boys were serenading on transistor radios, Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon were shimmying in the sand on big screens, and Dave Draper was smiling and flexing on and in Weider’s magazines. “I made Dave Draper a big part of my push,” Joe Weider explained. “Big and blond and outdoorsy-looking, he was like the world’s best-built beach boy and the perfect California icon.” By the time Draper won the 1965 Mr. America and 1966 Mr. Universe, he was a staple on Weider magazine covers. He appeared on 25 between 1963 and 1971 and in countless ads (many in comic books) and upon countless products: candy bars, vitamin bottles, weight sets, training courses, etc., all without being directly compensated. His very nickname, “The Blond Bomber,” was based on Weider hyperbole about “bombing” muscles with Weider workout techniques. (He hated it at first but later embraced it.)

Dave Draper life story
Typical cover: Dave Draper on the beach, Sept. 1968
As David the Gladiator, he hosted a sword-and-sandal movie show on a local Los Angeles station from 1964-65. He also acted in such popular TV shows as The Beverly Hillbillies and The Monkees and in such movies as Lord Love a Duck and, most memorably, Don’t Make Waves, as a Cali beach bodybuilder—the persona attached to him that came to define him. He sold the bodybuilding lifestyle (beach, bikini babes, muscles) and the endless summer of Southern California to a generation of young bodybuilders around the globe (including Arnold Schwarzenegger in Austria), growing so iconic that, decades later, GQ magazine published a feature article about him and the E! Network aired a one-hour documentary. “That I was a West Coast beach boy to a world of bodybuilding fans eluded me,” Draper wrote. “Jersey hung around my neck like a sweaty tank top, and I never mounted a California surfboard. Here’s some possible irony: The only time I went to the beach was in the twilight to remove timber with a saw from beneath an obsolete pier a stone’s throw from Muscle Beach.”

Arnold and Dave Draper
Arnold and Draper, circa 1970, Gold’s Gym, Venice, CA / photo: Artie Zeller
Dave Draper had fame but not fortune, and he was never comfortable with the fame. Bodybuilding titles didn’t motivate him much (he won his last, the Mr. World, in 1970), which frustrated Joe Weider. “Joe is a star builder,” Arnold Schwarzenegger said. “If you let him, he will create you and turn you into something special….But Dave wasn’t that interested in being in front of five thousand people and saying, ‘Look at my naked body. Isn’t that great?’ Why did he train in dark dungeons in the early morning with all those shirts on, never showing his body and not running around the beach like the photographs showed? That wasn’t Dave’s reality. That was Joe’s reality.” He appeared in fewer ads and on fewer covers as the ’60s morphed into the ’70s, and then none at all, supplanted by Arnold, the new Weider superstar. (He sued Weider in 1972, but settled for only enough to cover his attorney fees. What he gained was the rights to his own image.)

Away from stages, he built and sold his own furniture (that’s why he was removing timber from a pier). And, for the most of the ’70s, he frequently got lost in vodka and Angel dust. He gained sobriety in 1983. In the beach town of Santa Cruz, California, he owned and managed a World Gym for 15 years until 2004. He married his second wife, Laree. He never stopped training.

Dave Draper at 63
Draper at 63 in 2005

Dave Draper was always shy, but his personality shined in his excellent and prolific writing in magazine columns (he was the rare champ who wrote his own), on his website, in email newsletters, and in such books as Brother Iron, Sister Steel and Iron On My Mind. He was the reluctant icon, the inspiration to a generation, the Jersey boy in Cali who never stopped loving the individual challenge of a barbell and the next set. The Blond Bomber was a true original who did it his way. Our condolences to his family, friends, and many fans.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2022, 06:35:29 AM »
   https://www.thebarbell.com/dougs-gym-the-oldest-old-school-gym/     
    DID ANYONE EVER GO TO THIS PLACE ???
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2022, 06:40:26 AM »

Cool!

Nope.  But I did train at "Stern's Gym" which opened on May 13th, 1946.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2022, 06:46:35 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2022, 06:55:40 AM »
Cool!

Nope.  But I did train at "Stern's Gym" which opened on May 13th, 1946.

you can't beat old school.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2022, 02:51:21 PM »

F

Cook

• Getbig IV
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2022, 03:32:51 PM »
I drove by this gym a few times.I wish I would have took the time to stop and check it out.Many times I have made this same mistake.See something interesting but since I’m in a hurry I don’t stop.Fuck me.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2022, 09:26:24 AM »
5 percenters
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2022, 09:29:05 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2022, 09:58:47 AM »
  Bill Barad Bodybuilder
Last Updated on Sun, 06 Mar 2022 | Muscle Pumping
In answer to your recent letter, I'm not at all adverse to being quoted, so long as I'm not quoted out of context. However, I would much prefer that this letter not be cut or condensed in any way, reprinted in its entirety.

First, I'd like to make my position clear, concerning the anabolic hormones or 'tissue drugs', as you call them. I'm neither-for-or against their use, as far as the general public is concerned. Each individual is a complex combination of innumerable factors, both physical and psychological, and certainly no one can say truthfully that anything is good for EVERYONE. These hormones are contraindicated in certain diseased conditions of the prostate and liver. However, under normal condition, I feel that they are very useful and beneficial for the average bodybuilder when used with discretion.

Most of the arguments I've heard against the use of these substances have revolved about the theme that it isn't natural to take hormones or drugs. I would answer by simply stating that neither is it natural to drink milk, eat bread or cooked food of any kind, use salt, imbibe wheat germ oil, take vitamin, mineral or concentrated protein supplements in any form. It's even unnatural to bathe daily as we do, and exercising with weights on a regular or a strenuous basis is not natural. Yet, who condemns these practices because they are unnatural? I'd hate to be forced to live in a strictly natural manner. I would then necessarily be uncivilized and, I am convinced, quite unhealthy.

Another argument is that great 'authorities' Hoffman and Weider are against using them. This I can answer simply by pointing out that hormones cannot be sold legally by these self-styled authorities. Since no profit is in it for them, as there is in the products they peddle, it isn't difficult to see why they're against them. After all, if bodybuilders turned to effective hormones, how would the health food boys stay in business?

There have been some adverse reactions due to misuse of these substances, to be sure. However, these reactions have been extremely rare and almost always associated with over dosage in individuals who were being treated medically for various conditions of poor health affecting the metabolism of these hormones. Besides, all known side effects of these substances are completely reversible upon reduction or withdrawal of dosage. There are far more people whose health was damaged by milk, eggs, wheat, vitamin supplements, etc. In fact, there is hardly a food or drink which hasn't been harmful to someone.

Would anyone condemn the use of insulin, because it's unnatural? Or thyroid extract or cortisone and its derivatives? If individuals must use these substances, nothing can convince them not to take their daily dose, because it's unnatural or because a few persons may have had an adverse reaction from taking too much. They know that their daily doses are all that stand between themselves and death.

My experience with anabolic hormones has been very fruitful. I've been using them for almost ten years now and I can honestly say they have benefited me greatly. I will soon be 46 (1966) and I find my physical development and total vitality to be on a higher plane with much less effort than it was, ten years ago. I firmly believe that aging is chemical and that some day, via hormone therapy, we'll be able to extend the prime of life far beyond what it is today. Meanwhile, I'll not be twiddling my thumbs waiting^ I'll take advantage of every trick at my disposal, natural or unnatural, to extend my prime as long as I can; for I've found the anabolic hormones do much more than merely enhance muscular size - they have a toning effect on practically all my bodily functions.

To explain how these hormones accomplished their actions, would take volumes to delve into the many faceted and intricate workings involved and then it would only be theory. The only thing you can say as certain is that they work and, in some cases, are life saving.

I could tell you more about the history of anabolic hormones - how they are derived, etc. - but it would make too long a letter. I would, however, like to bring one more item to your attention. I know of three Mr. Americas and at least one Mr. Florida, also several movie stars who rose to glory when taking these hormones. In fact, one of the greatest and best known of all bodybuilders became Mr. America in the 1940's, after taking testosterone - the parent hormone from which the more recent anabolic hormones have been derived. He later became Mr. Universe and even today, twenty years later, he is still considered by many, to be the greatest of them all. In closing, I look forward to seeing this letter presented to your readers. - Bill Barad

Donne Hales Responds

Donne at his store, Hales Health Foods, in Miami, Florida in 1966
Donne at his store, Hales Health Foods, in Miami, Florida in 1966
Bill Barad is the only man I know who used tissue drugs successfully, for so long. His case is encouraging but certainly not conclusive evidence. Favorable results such as weight gain, size, more energy, power, increase of hardness in muscles have been reported. Others have had reactions such as a bleeding from nose and rectum, chest pains, loss of sexual drive, nausea, upset liver, appearance of puffiness. It is obvious that much is to be learned and results vary due to body chemistry or other factors.

The building up phase of metabolism is anabolism, thus giving its name to this type of drug. A hormone, of course, is an "exciter" in the system; it takes only an infinitesimal bit to vastly effect body chemistry, as they are so powerful. Here is one theory of how the anabolic hormones work - the cell's membrane acts like a sieve, permitting some elements to enter the cell, rapidly, others slowly and some, not at all. A molecule of growth hormone may drape itself over the membrane, thus changing the nature of the "sieve". Maybe it lets more amino's enter, giving the enzymes more to work with and forming more protein, which accelerates the cell growth and multiplication. If this action takes place in the body's billions of cells, rapid growth will result. Common sense should indicate that changing normal metabolism as they do, tissue drugs MUST be considered dangerous. Read this, from THE BODY, by Nourse, "...hormonal activity must remain in delicate balance - like salt in a stew - or the entire body will be thrown out of kilter." Does this make you think?

Anabolic hormones are used following surgery or a long illness, with people who do not metabolize properly; they were intended for therapeutic use and nothing else! Their labels specifically warm that lengthy use is not recommended and advise supervision by a doctor while taking them. Does that sound as if they are NOT dangerous? Don't kid yourself that they are like penicillin, insulin or other drugs that have known side effects. Those medicines are used in cases of desperation, with the patient willing to risk the bad effects. This is not so with a tissue drug - if you're using one, it's due to vanity. If you ask me, that's a foolish reason for taking serious risks!

It is unfortunate that there isn't yet definite evidence of serious harm from these hormone drugs. Side effects from chemicals don't usually show up until years later and if the product isn't widely used, reports are slower. Sulfonamides were lauded as a safe, wonder drug in 1957; in 1964, it was proven they caused severe blood disease or ulcerations. A flu vaccine popular for ten years was pinned down in 1965 as causing tumors. Because you don't drop dead when it is taken, doesn't mean a chemical is safe!

Another mistake is to assume that these anabolic hormones must be safe, or they could not be sold. The Food & Drug Administration is notoriously lax in protecting the public from the powerful drug monopolies. That office has continually passed drugs as safe that were later proved dangerous; just as often, they have failed to act against products known to be harmful, allowing them to remain on drug shelves, with a change in the label. In recent years, they have passed chloromycetin, orabilex, parnate, enovid and others; all have caused drastic results - even death, in some cases. Physicians can not be relied upon for protection, even if sincere. The AMA says that 90% of the drugs known to a doctor when he begins practice, will have replaced during his career. They also add that less than 20% of the new ones will have received adequate testing! Drug companies are tremendous businesses; I do not find it strange to think they might place profits ahead of public welfare! No, the best protection is still common sense.

Modern society is ruled by a slap-happy way of thinking - it blissfully accepts poison sprays, chemicals in food and yes, hormone drugs, without question. They smugly quote "After all, we're healthier than ever". And I say, the Hell we are! Juggling statistics makes it appear we live longer, but we can not ignore the alarming increase in all degenerative diseases, like cancer. In my mind, this brings us back to tissue drugs. In A MATTER OF LIFE & DEATH by Bailey, this appears, "...all cancers share a basic similarity: uncontrolled, spreading growth". If you recall the way in which the anabolic hormones probably react on metabolism, does that sound comforting? And then this, "the law says that cells should grow, but only enough to benefit the whole organisms". Some will accuse me of using "scare tactics". I am, and with good reason - if you're toying with the tissue drugs, you SHOULD be scared!

Most men who use anabolic hormones do so in ignorance; they believe they must use then to get a top physique and they do not have any idea of their evil potential. Some of the greatest physiques in history were developed BEFORE the hormone crazy, including the immortal John C. Grimek. Today, we still have stars who have never touched them.

Although tissue drugs do seem to stimulate growth, they do not always produce desired results. Immediate ill effects often appear and, in the light of scanty knowledge about hormonal effect on bodily processes, there is a definite risk of possible later side effects. In the face of all this, if being big is your only objective in life, if it is more important to you than possible danger to your health, I have no further arguments to offer. After all, it IS your life. - Donne Hale

A Dennis B. Weis Capsule Comment
I was in 100% agreement with Donne's response to Bill Barad and on a personal note I would say that, unless you are a pituitary dwarf or 99 years old and weight 60 pounds, you shouldn't ever risk the use of anabolic steroids (or thyroid drugs for that matter).

Closing Comments
This program-neither the diet nor the workouts are NOT recommended for beginners or for bodybuilders age 40 and beyond as it might cause side effects (and blowback) of Central nervous system shock, Adrenalin gland exhaustion, Rapid testosterone and growth hormone depletion or high levels of the catabolic hormone "Cortisol". Remember that recovery must always precede muscle growth!

There is no easy way, no shortcuts in bodybuilding. Learn to workout hard, eat well, get enough sleep, don't consume alcoholic beverages or smoke. Pay your dues.

I hope you have enjoyed reading about the physical force protocols and nutrition that one man (Richard Simons) used to MAKE A

REMARKABLE METAMORPHESIS 25 POUND WEIGHT GAIN IN ONLY 21 DAYS!

Bonus Report No. 1

Mind Power Doctrine

of an Iron Warrior By Dennis B. Weis "The Yukon Hercules"

There is an old adage that says, "Think big, act big, to get big." It is therefore very important to learn about mind doctrine management if you want to become bigger and stronger.

The mind power doctrine of an iron warrior can be broken down into three simple but inseparable factors: Belief, Vision, and Method.

Belief is the degree of self-confidence (trust) a person has in himself or herself. The difference between an iron warrior bodybuilding champion and others is the size of his or her belief.

A mediocre bodybuilder might express his belief like this: "I'd like to be an iron warrior bodybuilding champion some time, maybe, if it's not too hard." Lee Haney, eight-time Mr. Olympia, puts it this way: "I want to be a champion. That's what I see Lee Haney as, a Champion. There's nothing wrong with having a healthy ego. That's why there are sheep and there are shepherds." Notice the difference between the two beliefs?

Vision is the appropriate and attainable short- and long-term goals. Adding 1/2 inch to the arms in one day is a short-term goal.

Method is the process used to fulfill the vision. For example, the process for fulfilling the vision of adding 1/2 inch to the arms in one day can be achieved by following the advice in my SPECIAL BIG ARMS REPORT (available at: www.dennisbweis.com).

It is important that you begin thinking like an iron warrior bodybuilding champion by adopting the mind power doctrine of Belief, Vision, and Method. Doing this will help you access the reservoir of untapped strength within your body. This is vital, especially if you are into the advanced stages of, say, German Volume Training (read about this unique training protocol in issue #118 at www.t-mag.com), where the program becomes such a bully that you may begin to experience self-imposed limitations of frustration, doubt, and indecision. You may even begin to question your energy, endurance, sanity, and willingness to carry a program such as German Volume Training to its completion.

Such self-imposed limitations are indeed major barriers of the subconscious mind and, as a result, can cause temporary lapses of mental concentration. It is absolutely paramount that you let go of disruptive influences such as frustration, doubt, and indecision and focus on the light of total awareness or laser concentration (metaphysical) needed to complete a program such as German Volume Training or others.

Bill Pearl, a multi-Mr. Universe, has stated at a number of his superseminars that "you can't take anything negative you are doing in the sport of bodybuilding and turn it into positive results. It won't work." He goes on to say that "You must condition your subconscious mind to think that you are getting bigger and training with more intensity and your body will respond accordingly."

To condition the subconscious mind in the manner that Bill Pearl described requires the implementation of a couple of self-actualization resources.

First, begin reprogramming your subconscious mind with some very precise, measurable, and powerful motivational affirmations. Here are some examples: Mentally or audibly with full force and conviction, say (to yourself):

"I will train each occurring set of the exercise at hand (of say the Standing Two-Hands Barbell Curl or the Standing Barbell Press Overhead etc.) with focused intensity."

"I will conquer and dominate each set with an unchained will to triumph and succeed."

"I will prevail in the moment and take myself to absolute physical levels that surpass and rival previous ones."

I will conquer and dominate every single rep of the upcoming set and get progressively stronger while doing so."

"I will masterfully succeed in the gym."

"My upper arms will grow bigger by ^ inch."

"Today I will perform the most intelligent, rigorous, and locked-in priority workout of my life."

Notice the emphasized words in each of the motivational affirmations. They are called "trigger words" and serve as a mental stimulus to unite the muscle fibers in your being to respond to their fullest potential. You can choose other trigger words and specific and concise positive reinforcement phrases if you wish.

Specific and concise positive reinforcement phrases (motivational affirmations) should personally reflect an unchained power and commanding dominance to master the direction of your thoughts. Here are some examples:

• Weak reinforcement - Make my legs stronger.

• Specific/concise reinforcement - to squat 400 pounds slightly below parallel with perfect form for a big triple.

• Weak reinforcement - to eat better or really zone in on my diet starting next week.

• Specific/concise reinforcement - to consume no more than 3,000 calories a day with a ratio of calorie intake to be 40% complete protein, 50% complex carbohydrates, and 10% unsaturated fats, beginning next Monday morning.

• Weak reinforcement - to lose weight.

• Specific/concise reinforcement - to weigh 210 pounds and have 10% bodyfat or lower.

• Weak reinforcement - to get my bench press up.

• Specific/concise reinforcement - to increase my maximum single effort in the flat bench press from 300 to 300 pounds in the next 10 to 12 weeks.

Specific/concise reinforcements are measurable, meaning that two independent people should be able to agree within acceptable limits that the reinforcements occurred or did not occur. Weak reinforcements are less defined and much more difficult to measure in terms of results.

The motivational affirmations or reinforcements that I have been discussing are an important power of the mind power doctrine. The subconscious mind cannot distinguish between what is real and what is not. You must therefore, with a commanding dominance, deeply, fully, thoroughly, and completely convince your subconscious mind of your belief in the motivational affirmations. Only then can you create your own realities.

So, with a burning inner conviction, emotionally, with all of the force, all of the drive, and all of the desire (desire is the font of will power) that you are capable of feeling, mentally or verbally repeat 10-15 times your favorite precise, measurable, and powerful motivational affirmations. As you continue to repeat these phrases, you will begin to feel absolute sensations of unchained power flowing, pulsing, and surging through you both mentally and physically.

The second Self-Actualization Resource is mental imagery-rehearsal of any training protocol you are currently following (e.g., German Volume, Titan Training System, etc.). It is said that what the mind can conceive and believe, the body can achieve. And so it is with this thought that I'll begin with an explanation of mental imagery-rehearsal by borrowing some of the commanding and dominant insights and expressions of mind doctrine techniques that many world champion bodybuilders use to access peak performance in the gym.

Mental imagery-rehearsal and its application to the iron athlete is a thoughtful and intelligent two-stage event consisting of pre-workout and one-set interval preparation. Here's a brief look at each.

Stage I: Pre-Workout Imagery Rehearsal_

Simply stated, you will mentally visualize (like seeing a series of pictures on a movie screen), by bringing images into the mind, all the simple and complex elements associated with the forthcoming workout.

About 15 to 30 minutes prior to your workout, go to a place of solitude (void of ringing telephones, ticking clocks, people talking, and bright lights). Sit in a comfortable chair. Close your eyes and begin slowly and deeply to breathe in and out through your nose and begin to relax (called relaxed breathing).

Now, begin mentally to empty your mind of all thoughts that do not pertain to the workout. Don't let intruding thoughts attract your attention. This could be any thought such as what you did yesterday, what you are going to be doing after the workout. Sometimes a remark that someone made that you didn't particularly like will pop back into your head, but don't let it.

Drive away the nagging negative voice from the dungeon of your subconscious mind that might be telling you to skip your workout for one reason or another. Mentally see yourself well rested, recovered, and stronger from your last workout a couple of days ago.

As you continue to progress into a relaxed state, visualize the collective atmosphere of the training energy in the gym that is being generated by the other iron warriors. Feel this sensation and how it gives you a special power to dominate the heavy iron.

Become a master of training by mentally reproducing the tracking patterns of the exercises rep for rep, set for set. Repeat this process several times in your mind.

Finally, see yourself at the conclusion of the workout with a bone-deep, growth-producing, vein-choked pump in the muscles of the upper arms.

When the mental pictures and related sensations that you expect to see are clear and vivid in the mirror of your mind, open your eyes. Your should now have an unyielding commitment, intense desire, determined persistence, and powerful will to succeed moving, flowing, pulsing, and surging through your entire being.

It's time then to get up out of the chair and step into the hardcore trenches of the gym.

Stage II: One-Set Mental Imagery Rehearsal

This stage of mental imagery-rehearsal is conducted approximately 10-15 seconds prior to each set of a prescribed exercise methodic. While standing or sitting, however you feel most comfortable, close your eyes and take in and exhale short breaths of air as you mentally prepare (with selective focus) for the moment at hand.

You must go to that place in your consciousness where there is no pain, no negative influences, no fear, a state of mind where only positive forces dwell.

Your mind must be time-locked (cohesive) with the muscles in order to do battle with the heavy iron. Begin by picturing in your mind's eye the bench, the bar, the plates. Imagine this so intensely that you can smell the sweat, feel the knurling on the bar, hear the plates rattle, and so forth.

If you are going to be performing the classic standing two-hands barbell curl, for example, recreate all of the exercise mastery techniques that are necessary for the successful completion of each gut-wrenching rep of the set.

The more organized and detailed you can make this ritual of mentally focusing in one-set intervals, the better chance you will have for training to the outer limits of muscular size and strength. Here's another way to explain it. Think of how organized and detailed the ritual of mental imagery-rehearsal would be if it related to making love to a beautiful woman. The details are never slippery or vague. They're always clear and vivid.

As the magnitude of mental imagery-rehearsal for the upcoming set becomes more and more vivid, you will begin to feel torrents of unleashed fury and your heart will beat in a manner that reflects your ability to dominate and prevail in the moment. Open your eyes. You are now 100%

mentally focused and psyched. Go for it! It's time to lift the HEAVY IRON!

Tip: During your workout, play your own favorite high-energy music to trigger strong energy responses.

Closing Thoughts
I have explained the mind power doctrine of an iron warrior in very general and broad terms. This is thoughtfully done, because accessing peak performance is highly individual. To awaken the sleeping giant within, I suggest you visit the following websites for more information on mental training:
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2022, 11:09:44 AM »

&t=76s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2022, 11:23:57 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2022, 12:24:46 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2022, 12:28:11 PM »

F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2022, 02:08:55 AM »
5 percenters
5% chance of making it to 50?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2022, 12:53:42 PM »

&t=72s   

&t=553s   
&t=201s
F