Author Topic: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.  (Read 81947 times)

Gym-Rat

• Getbig V
  • BRUTAL IF TRUE!!
Re: odds and ends [bodybuilding related]
« Reply #325 on: July 05, 2022, 12:33:04 PM »
DBol related:

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=3866837

Pumped-up pioneers: the '63 Chargers

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.
« Reply #326 on: July 08, 2022, 05:57:38 AM »

&t=705s   

&t=240s   
&t=10s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #327 on: July 08, 2022, 05:59:09 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #328 on: July 08, 2022, 06:00:13 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #330 on: July 09, 2022, 10:53:52 AM »

F

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #331 on: July 09, 2022, 10:56:26 AM »

when female bodybuilders turned heads and not stomachs.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #332 on: July 09, 2022, 11:13:23 AM »
when female bodybuilders turned heads and not stomachs.

&t=210s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #333 on: July 10, 2022, 04:00:12 AM »
  BILL  "PEANUTS" WEST ... PIONEER CHAMPION POWERLIFTER
Bill "Peanuts" West (William Weiss) was a powerlifting champion pioneer, born in 1937, in Pennsylvania. He was a weak and skinny child who weighed less than 100 pounds as a teenager.
Peanuts picked up his first barbell at age 15. Within months his bodyweight increased dramatically thanks to a training regimen that consisted of progressive resistance and protein from peanuts, peanut butter and peanut oil.
In 1952, West and his training partner Gene Wells found themselves in Santa Monica, California, living in Muscle House, owned by Joy Crettoz, an older lady who treated bodybuilders like her children.
The nickname "Peanuts" was given to West by Joy due to his daily diet that consisted of one pound of peanuts, a half-cup of peanut butter, and six spoons of peanut oil. In addition, he drank large quantities of raw milk, fruit juices and protein.
By 1965, Wests' bodweight had reached 180 pounds and he placed second in his first Muscle Beach powerlifting event. Then, he began training with champion lifters Isaac Berger and Dave Ashman, to become even stronger and heavier. He increased his peanut-based diet intake while incorporating a more rigorous lifting program, until the scale climbed to 218 pounds. He finally settled on a competitive weight of 198 pounds.
Peanuts did not train for aesthenic goals, but for his  powerlifting and odd-lift totals. He trained on his pressing techniques one day for three hours and either squatted or deadlifted the next day. He kept his garage gym in Culver City, California open to other champion lifters, such as George Frenn and Pat Casey. He was the first to squat 600 pounds at a bodyweight of 198 pounds and in 1970 he had an official total of 1680 pounds...(430 bench, 635 squat, and 615 deadlift).....though he managed an 1825 total in an unofficial exhibition.
Several of the powerlifting training concepts used today were invented in Bill West's  Westside Gym. Likewise, knee wraps, elbow wraps and 6-inch wide lifting belts were initiallly popularized by him.
Unfortunately, Bill "Peanuts" West died in 1984, at age 47,  homeless, on a beach in Santa Barbara, California. He was buried in an unmarked grave in Culver City, until a friend purchased a headstone to honor his memory.
F

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #334 on: July 10, 2022, 04:01:15 AM »

poppycock

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #335 on: July 11, 2022, 01:11:52 AM »
My guess is too many peanuts led to his death.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #336 on: July 11, 2022, 06:04:04 AM »
  STEVE MERJANIAN... STILL GOING STRONG AT AGE 87
Steve Merjanian was born on July 19, 1935. His initial intent of becoming a bodybuilder quickly transitioned into power movements. He trained alongside Pat Casey at the original Westside Barbell Club, worked out at Joe Gold’s gym in Venice, and lifted with the man of mystery, Chuck Ahrens.
Articles credit Steve with being the first person to popularize the Incline Bench Press. He eventually inclined 495 pounds and hit 395 in the overhead press. Others recall Merjanian doing heavy lifting, including lateral raises with the 144 pound dumbbells and standing triceps presses with 275 pounds.
At 5’11”, Steve's body weight fluctuated between 270 and 300 pounds.  His chest measurement was in the high fifties or even sixty inches, his neck was around 21 inches, and he was known for massive forearms. One measurement had them at 18 and a half inches.  But, he could still perform incredible agility feats like leaping on a table tennis table from a standing position.
Merjanian earned a living as a jewelry dealer and selling Corvette cars. He also gave back to the community by serving as part of the so called “Special Problems Unit” for the Venice Beach Park and Recreation.  Alongside Jackie Robinson’s brother and baseball great Leon Wagner, Steve made sure that things didn’t get too rowdy.
Never much into supplements (aside from multi-vitamins), Steve's diet mainly consisted of meat, juice, and eggs.  He would usually concume 2 breakfasts, a number of sandwiches before lunch, a salad in the afternoon, and fish, chicken, or some other lean meat for dinner.
There were two types of routines that Merjanian regularly implemented. In one routine, he would do 10-12 sets, with singles at heavy weight, for the last five sets.  His other routine was 8 sets of 5 reps with as heavy weight as possible.
(His back work emphasized pulleys of various types, twice a week using high repetitions for a good stretch.)
In 2022, Merjanian, at age 87, has done little to alter his approach toward weight training. He has retained a good portion of his strength because his routine remains close to the same, while his 'time-off's' still consist of plenty of rest and relaxation, a mind free of worry, good food and regular hardcore training.
F

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #337 on: July 11, 2022, 10:31:54 AM »
Kevin James looking strong there.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #338 on: July 12, 2022, 06:36:25 AM »
Kevin James looking strong there.

&t=27s   he does look a lot like james
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #339 on: July 13, 2022, 06:47:07 AM »

&t=207s     

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #340 on: July 14, 2022, 06:14:23 AM »
  Denie writes:
The Dave Draper I knew in my teenage years was a quiet, reserved lad who came from Secaucus, New Jersey. I knew him long before he became the mighty Blond Bomber of bodybuilding and motion picture fame. Yes, long before the multi-physique titles had made him world famous. The magazine of the time promoting him labeled him a muscle champion who had once been a bulky, hulky fat boy. The truth was that Draper, and I knew him well, was never a fat boy. He may have been a bit smooth when the magazines discovered him, but he was never fat. The whole thing was a gimmick from which, to this day, he suffers.
Dave in those early days boasted a 54-inch chest and a 35-inch waist. At six feet, that’s hardly fat, is it? And, of course, there were those 19.75-inch arms, too. I believe he finally made them 20.
The man’s power in those days was also tremendous. The fellows he grew up with in the gyms, because he was a boy then, still talk about him. They talk about the 240-pound seated press-behind-neck. They remember when he’d load up the end of a six-foot bar and do leverage rowing movements with the astronomical poundage of 450. And there’s the story of the famous block party festival in Secaucus where some wise guys were annoying and bothering the locals. Draper simply walked over, grabbed one guy by the front of his shirt with one arm and lifted him off the ground. The warning was well taken.
He was very intense and never really talked much; his whole mental makeup was devoted entirely to hard training and healthful living. The results are obvious, although when quoted by other sources are not always accurate. Here is the true story of the Blond Bomber, which your MTI reporter got from Dave when he visited the East recently to guest post at the WBBG Mr. America. I had not seen Dave in about 10 years, except for his screen and TV appearances. He told me what it was really like then – what happened in between – and who Dave Draper is now. I found him still the decent fellow. You will too – read on and meet the real Blond Bomber as he is today.
>> Could we get a little recap of the Dave Draper career from the beginning?
I started training when I was 12. I got a little 14-inch bar with some 7.5-pound plates in the middle and 5-pounders on the ends, and 3.5-pounders. With this, I used to do curls and bench presses on my own, without magazines or any of the guys in them. It was just my own thing. The Hercules movies were around at that time and Reeves was... well, if there was an inspiration at the time, it was Reeves.  Leroy Colbert was another one as I got into it. I happened to see Leroy on the cover of a magazine. I trained, pretty regularly from that time on and I’m 31 now.
I was 18 when I got into serious, consistent training with the intention of growing bigger and developing a good physique. I was out of school by then and pretty well situated in my own free lifestyle. I lived in New Jersey then, about a year before I met you. At first, I did pushups, dips and chins, and gradually built that up and got more weights from that organization in Union City. (Dave chuckled about that remark.)
>> Based on your early experience, what advice could you give to people just entering the training field? Do you think they can build a really good physique at home?
It depends on the person and his or her motivation. You can make a great deal of improvement in growth and satisfy yourself and your bodybuilding needs. But it will take an exceptional person to become a champion in a garage or home gym. Once you get past the initial stages of training at home, going to a gym with some pretty good trainees around is important. It doesn’t have to be a top gym, but one with some pretty dedicated bodybuilders.
It's good to ask questions, but better to observe and as you get to know people and they get to know you, you can ask questions and learn that way. Then, everything you’re learning, you should apply. And you must relate that to your body, your person, your own chemistry and your motivation and intellect.
Gyms are better equipped. They have pulleys that most people don’t have at home, and there’s much more inspiration. Then, too, if the gym isn’t overcrowded and you aren’t stifled, you can train at your own pace and not compromise yourself so much.
>> In the beginning you had a reputation of being the skinniest person. Do you recall any of those early measurements?
That’s not true. I don’t know how that story got started. In high school, I wrestled. I was of average build and had a good bone structure. I played a little football and basketball with the PAL – the Police Athletic League. I got into training more completely through gymnastics. I belonged to the Swiss Turnverein and trained with E.M. Orlick, who, as you know, was the first editor of MTI. It was there that I began to use the weight room. Soon I saw something taking place – a V shape and some shoulders.
I was still unaware of the magazines or books and how to really do this thing we call training. Then I started to do a little more with the weights and put the gymnastics aside. I joined a bodybuilding gym— was yours. From there, I went to a Vic Tanny’s Gym in Journal Square and then found myself out on the West Coast training with the Muscle Beach guys: Zabo Koszewski, George Eiferman and others… in places where Reeves and many other stars trained.
>> We know that hard training is important. How about the Dave Draper diet?
That, in my opinion, eventually becomes 50 percent of it. As you come to a point in your training where the body reaches approximately 60 percent of its potential development, diet becomes extremely important. The more you develop quality in your build, the more important it is to change your diet.
Actually, you can change your body chemistry. I had very poor chemistry. Basically, it was slow, which made me bulky and soft looking also because of my “thick skin.” I changed my slow metabolism through strict dieting, taking almost zero carbohydrates for two years. I had maybe one potato in two years and no milk at all.
>> Isn’t that unhealthful? I understand you need some carbohydrates.
Yes, it could be, but I fed myself a lot of tuna fish and liver products, plus high supplementation. I also had fresh fruit.
The following is a short dialog between Dave and this MTI reporter:
MTI: I remember some of the stories I used to get about you from friends in California, saying you used to show up at parties with a jar of liver tablets and never go near the food and drinks.
Dave: I can’t remember that. I wasn’t a wacko!
MTI: I’m going to write this as I’m hearing it.
Dave: I mean, I wasn’t wacky. Not too wacky… maybe a little wacky. It just appeared to me that it was the only way to upset my metabolism to bring it around so it would be keener and faster. So I trained very hard, very fast, still using heavy weights with a very strict diet – mostly protein, particularly fish and tuna fish.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #341 on: July 14, 2022, 08:19:32 AM »
   GEORGE EIFERMAN... 1948  AAU MR. AMERICA / 1962 IFBB MR. UNIVERSE
George Eiferman, born in 1925, in                       
Philadephia, became a notable figure in the sport of bodybuilding. On his 17th birthday, George joined the US Navy. He began lifting weights seriously and added 40 pounds of  muscle to his frame by the time of his discharge on his 21st birthday in 1946. He then joined Fritshe's Gym in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
In 1947, Eiferman won the AAU Mr.
Philadelphia competition and placed 5th  at the AAU Mr. America event in 1947.
In 1948, George scored first at the  AAU                                                     
Mr. California. One month later, he won the 1948 AAU Mr. America title. He then moved to Santa Monica, California, where he worked out regularly at Muscle Beach.
Durning  that time, Eiferman played a
part in the  film, The Devil's Sleep. The 1960s, George of the Jungle cartoon character, was created by the cook on Eiferman's mine sweeper who combined George's likeness and the Tarzan character.
With his numerous physique titles,
Eiferman began traveling the United States giving speeches at high schools on living a healthy lifestyle and the benefits of weight training for the Nationwide School Assemblies of America organization.
In 1950, George  appeared to my high school in Yakima, Washington. He spoke of sailors who didn't have enough strength to pull themselves up into a rescue boat. He continued  to emphise how impotant body strength was in daily life.
That year, 1950, I inlisted into the U. S . Navy with three years of weight lifting behind me and it served me well, doubling my strength – inspired by Eiferman's lecture.
Eiferman continued to weight train and won  the 1962 IFBB Mr. Universe title. He also opened gyms in Hawaii, Vista, California, and Las Vegas.
In the 1980s, Eiferman hosted the TV show, Take 5 for Fitness, on Fox 5 in Las Vegas. As a trainer, nutritionist, and fitness ambassador, George had working relationships with weightlifters Steve Reeves, Lou Ferrigno, and Arnold Schwarzenegger as well as entertainers Mae West, Debbie Reynolds, Liz Taylor and Marilyn Monroe. He also helped train celebrities like Rock Hudson, Sylvester Stallone, and Elvis Presley with body weight and other health issues.
Eiferman was inducted into the IFBB Hall of Fame in 2000. He died in 2002, of heart failure  with his wife Bonita at his side.
F

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #342 on: July 14, 2022, 08:24:07 AM »

&t=207s     

I know AG - he works for Sorinex.  Really friendly guy and training for his first show. 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #343 on: July 14, 2022, 08:59:48 AM »
I know AG - he works for Sorinex.  Really friendly guy and training for his first show.

&t=311s   they even have some sorinex equipment at some of the higher end gyms in pa.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #344 on: July 14, 2022, 10:52:06 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #345 on: July 14, 2022, 12:34:47 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #346 on: July 16, 2022, 04:39:16 AM »
  How Steve Reeves Trained -- John Grimek (1964)

From this Issue:
November 1964.

Yes, we saw Steve Reeves change from a "skinny" bodybuilder to a Mr. Universe winner in just seven weeks!

It was in 1950 when we invited him to come and train with us in York, and since he expressed a desire to compete in the Mr. Universe contest again, York Barbell Club was willing to sponsor him.

Of course it was only a year earlier when he placed third in the Mr. USA contest, which I won, and openly declared for the third and final time that I would no longer compete in any more physique contests no matter who hurled the challenge at me. I further stated that if any further challenges would be issued, Steve would be the man to accept them on my behalf.

Because of this, Steve kept me well informed about his training progress, and I gave him whatever encouragement he needed. I knew, of course, that he wanted to compete in the Mr. Universe contest again, and I assured him that York Barbell would send him over if he would stay in shape. He was very interested and kept in contact with me regularly.

Then several months lapsed while I didn't hear a thing from him, and being busy at the time I dismissed the thought from my mind. Therefore it was quite a surprise when a few months later, on Memorial Day to be exact, he and George Eiferman suddenly arrived in York.

We discussed his training and about the coming Mr. Universe contest. He was very enthused and anxious to get started. We had dinner and then found them a place to stay since both were a little tired from the long trip and wanted to start training the following day.

The next day just before noon he and Eiferman walked into the old barbell building where the York gym was located, eager for a good workout. George Eiferman, of course, had trained with us many times, but this was Reeves' first visit to "Muscletown."

Nevertheless, he didn't have any trouble acclimating himself to the surroundings, but later asked whether a special T-bar could be made for him so that he could utilize Hack squats better. This proved to be no problem for machine shop manager Jules Bacon. Jules was able to make this gadget for him and Reeves was able to utilize it for his leg work.   

Later we fashioned a long cable rowing pulley device which he wanted to use to exercise his latissimus dorsi and arms. But he took a special liking to our homemade incline bench on which he performed his curls, and about which he later wrote a small feature -- "My Favorite Exercise" -- for S&H magazine, August 1950 issue.

After about a week of training he began to regain some of his shape. Earlier some members of the gym, who saw him on arrival, were not impressed by his development. It was obvious that he had done little if any training for some time (during the time I had lost contact with him), but now he was beginning to shape up again. A number of visitors who used to drop in at the old gym and watch us train, remarked their disappointment in the Reeves' physique. And even I had to admit, upon seeing him change into his training clothes, that he did not look like the Reeves I had competed against only a year before. This Reeves looked like he had lost everything except his legs, which still appeared fairly impressive in spite of his weakened condition. But his arms, chest and back lacked any semblance of previous muscularity.

The accepted opinion of the fellows in the gym was that he didn't have a chance of even placing in the Mr. Universe contest, let alone winning it. I, too, had my doubts at this time, but we underestimated Reeves' ambition and drive.

Each workout he took he put everything into it, and continued to do a little more each week, so that after a few weeks he showed amazing improvement. He seldom sat around talking and killing time. Instead, he went  from one exercise to another.

He would repeat each exercise until he couldn't do another rep, and on several occasions while he was doing his incline curls I saw him kick up the weight with his knees and then strongly resist as he lowered the weight.

He put a lot of concentration into each and every movement and after he finished training he achieved a terrific congested condition and looked twice as big!

During training he had no regard for time but worked until he had completed his routine, which took anywhere from two to four hours.

Of course he came to York to train, so all his time was devoted to training and resting and this paid off for him because he did win the Mr. Universe title as he planned.

Training in York agreed with him. Within four weeks he began to show remarkable improvement, and at the end of the fifth week he began to look like his old self again: big, massive with good muscularity.

His training in York included a lot of variety. However, each week he would increase his training, doing more reps, more exercises, more sets or a combination of all these. By the end of the sixth week the Hercules of Muscledom had recovered his large, sinewy arms, and a fuller rounder chest. His back looked wider and more massive. Even his shoulders looked thicker, and his abdomen showed more detail and muscularity.

Those who saw him training noticed the dynamic effort he put into every workout. He knew the time was getting short before he would be vying for the Mr. Universe title, so put everything into his training. There was no more whispering in the gym about whether he could win the title. Everybody agreed that it would take a darned good man to beat him now . . . if he could ever be beaten! Yet only seven weeks before it was very doubtful if he could place in the first five . . . how did this change happen?

I already mentioned that he training with clocklike regularity. As a rule he employed high repetitions, and usually starting with a weight that was near his limit and gradually employing lighter weights, but still using maximum repetitions.

I also pointed out that  he seldom if ever sat around talking between exercises but shifted from exercise to exercise, sometimes repeating the exercise in sets or using a similar movement for the same muscle area, or switching to a completely different exercise altogether.

He would rest only after he finished his training and had his shower . . . then he would carry on with the fellows.

One of his favorite exercises at York was the curl on incline bench which he did regularly every workout, and after a few weeks his arms showed the effect of such curling.

He also favored the long cable rowing exercise, a gadget we made for him. However, he did the exercise differently from the way most of us performed it. He would bend his body forward and maintain this position while he pulled the bar to his chest by arm and lat power alone, and then resisted the pull of the weight even slower. And though he wore training clothes his lats and biceps bulged when he did the exercise.

The other favorite exercise he enjoyed was the Hack lift. He fixed the platform exactly the way he wanted it, and then after Bacon made the long T-bar for him he was able to utilize this principle and improve the detail in his legs. No doubt he enjoyed working our in these surroundings as well, or better for that matter, than any other place he ever trained because he really put in plenty of effort.

And now that he was achieving his best possible shape we spend several evenings a week developing a suitable posing routine for him. In time we worked out a very good posing routine which, no doubt, helped him to his victory.

But now the time was up and, to our way of thinking, Hercules was ready. He took one final workout and then asked us to appraise his posing. As we watched him shift from one pose to another it was evident that here was the winner. The improvement he made was amazing. He had worked hard and long these past seven weeks and now he was ready for the big competition.

The following morning I drove him to New York where he spent the night with friends, and on the morrow took him to the airport and saw him off. Couple days later I got word of his victory, and was back in New York to greet him at the airport, congratulating him as he disembarked.

We were just as happy over his victory as he was, so we threw a banquet in his honor to celebrate the victory. He seemed delighted. After a couple months of loafing and taking an occasional workout, he bought himself a ford convertible and began the long drive back to California. He soon started to get his first break in movies and stage productions after this.

Yes, we have watched many Mr. Americas and Mr. Universes train in our old gym, but none whipped themselves into championship shape in less than two months except Reeves. And this happened in York in 1950.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #347 on: July 20, 2022, 12:40:15 PM »

&t=18s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #349 on: July 23, 2022, 02:59:48 PM »
   The first time I ever say Joe was in the summer of 1965 during summer school. The gym was closed when I first moved into Arnold Hall. But the first morning it opened I got there while it was still almost dark. There didn’t appear to be anyone else there initially. So, I found the weight room and started planning my workout. I had noticed that there was a squat rack in that room, and I was impressed to see that there was a 325-pound barbell on it! I thought, Wow! There are guys here that do 325-pound squats. Impressive. As I was sitting on the gym floor putting a barbell together, a fellow walks in the door … huge diamond shaped calves with a body that put tree trunks to same. And I thought, this must be the guy that squats with that 325 pounds. So I watched to see what he would do. And sure enough, he walked up to the wrack and grabbed the bar under his chin. And I thought, “Good night! He’s going to do front squats with that!”. But I was wrong. Instead, what he did was to lift the bar off the rack, back up a few steps, and then he ripped off 7 reps of front presses! And that was the first time I ever saw Joe Bednarski. I was absolutely amazed! And as the days and months went by, I never stopped being amazed at his exercise routines. Back in those days, he was legendary there at the college.
F