Author Topic: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.  (Read 81957 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.
« Reply #700 on: February 12, 2023, 05:22:02 AM »
Dave remains perhaps my biggest influence physique-wise.  When I was young, I wanted so badly to look like Dave Draper.   When I met him, he was very kind to me and in later years we occasionally corresponded via email.  His wife Laree is a wonderful person too.  When Dave passed away it was like a part of my youth had momentarily gone missing but not for very long.

Thank you, funk.
   Dave was the guy from that period ,
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #701 on: February 12, 2023, 06:13:30 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #703 on: February 13, 2023, 11:11:58 AM »

Cutler was immense ,like a tank,waist aside got in great condition had good muscle shape overall as well,traps and delt/chest were swole ..

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #704 on: February 13, 2023, 02:48:50 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #705 on: February 14, 2023, 06:05:34 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #706 on: February 15, 2023, 05:45:10 AM »

&t=2s   

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #707 on: February 15, 2023, 10:42:56 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #708 on: February 15, 2023, 12:31:05 PM »

&t=5s   

&t=8s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #709 on: February 17, 2023, 11:49:24 AM »
  DAN LURIE ... SEALTEST DAN, THE MUSCLE MAN
Dan Lurie was one of of six siblings.  He was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1922.  His father operated a moving business and weight-trained with professional strength athletes, Siegmund Breitbart and Warren Lincoln Travis. Still, the family was so poor, neighbors assisted with burial expenses when  his younger sister, Pearl, was burned to death, due to her cousin prankishly placing a lighted match in her coat pocket.
Through the 1940's and 1950's, Dan carved a niche in weightlifting, as pound for pound, one of the world's strongest and most muscular men.
Lurie's first taste of stardom, however, was the result of lifting objects no heavier than a plastic disk, as he won the "New York State Checker Championships." He attended Tilden High School in Brooklyn, where he trained as a boxer, planning to enter the 1939 New York Golden Gloves Boxing Tournament, only to be disqualified because of a serious heart murmur.
At age 17, Dan joined the Adonis Athletic Club of Brooklyn. Two years later, he finished last place at the annual Mr. New York City physique contest. He recalled, "This made me work out with even more determination."
In 1942, 1943, and 1944, at a bodyweight of 168 pounds, Lurie was runner-up at the AAU Mr. America contest and captured the Most Muscular award all three years.
Not allowed to compete in the 1945 AAU Mr. America event because he appeared in advertisements for Joe Weider's "Your Physique" magazine, Lurie commented, "Bob Hoffman, owner of York Barbell Company and Strength & Health magazine, controlled the  AAU. He hand-picked the winners. John Grimek won the 1940 and 1941 Mr. America contest and he appeared in York Barbell ads. Yet, he was recognized as an amateur.  Why him and not me?"
Lurie partnered with Joe Weider in 1942, to estabish the Dan Lurie Barbell Company. The following year, he established the first of his nine health clubs in the New York area. One facility, an old 50,000 square-foot YMCA building, was equippped with a swimming pool, steam room, and sauna.
Dan insisted that he, rather than the Weider's originated the International Federation of Bodybuilders (IFBB) in opposition to the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU). He said, "The Weider's stole the name from me after the AAU denied me a sanction for the 1946 Mr. East Coast contest.
Throughout the middle 1950's, Lurie appeared on CBS TV's "The Big Top Circus Show" as "Sealtest Dan, the Muscle Man." His strength feats included 1,655 pushups in 90 minutes; 1,225 parallel dips in 90 minutes and he often performed barbell bent-presses with 200 pounds, at a bodyweight of 165 pounds.  Not surprising, his slogan for life remained, "Health is your greatest wealth."
In 1965, Lurie formed the World Bodybuilding Guild (WBBG) to promote local and international physique competitions. For 20 years, his meets drew major physique contestants: Harold Poole, Rick Wayne, Chris Dickerson, Ralph Kroger, Scott Wilson, Don Ross, Boyer Coe, Serge Nubret, Tony Pearson, Lou Ferrigno, Sergio Oliva and others.
That same year, Lurie published the first issue of Muscle Training Illustrated with Reg Park on the cover. In 1971, he was one of the first to feature a cover story on anabolic steroid abuse. Over the following years, he published a series of informative articles written by Dr. Bob Goldman on the dangers and misuse of sport-enhancing drugs.
In 1984, Dan Lurie and President Ronald Reagan, squared off for a supposedly legitimate arm-wrestling match held in the oval office. Lurie explained, " I sent a letter to the White House requesting permission to present President Reagan with a plaque honoring him as the Most Fit President of all Time. The next thing I knew, I was  ushered into the oval office."
"Making the presentation, I jokingly challenged President Reagan to an arm-wrestling contest. His reply was, 'Sure.' We positioned ourselves at his desk and...plunk, he flattens me in about 30 seconds. I screamed for a rematch, only to be put down a second time in about 40 seconds."
A photograph of the historic event appeared on the front page of the New York Times with the caption reading: "Dan Lurie going one-on-one with President Reagan."
In 2010, Lurie was still taking "power walks" for an hour each morning, before his conventional weight-training workout. He remarked, "Now I use light weights and I rest longer between sets. I figure I no longer have a great deal to prove. With little or no regrets, my biggest pride and love in life are my five children, 15 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
"Sealtest Dan, the Muscle Man," died in 2013, at age 90.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #710 on: February 17, 2023, 11:50:41 AM »
  DAN LURIE ... SEALTEST DAN, THE MUSCLE MAN
Dan Lurie was one of of six siblings.  He was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1922.  His father operated a moving business and weight-trained with professional strength athletes, Siegmund Breitbart and Warren Lincoln Travis. Still, the family was so poor, neighbors assisted with burial expenses when  his younger sister, Pearl, was burned to death, due to her cousin prankishly placing a lighted match in her coat pocket.
Through the 1940's and 1950's, Dan carved a niche in weightlifting, as pound for pound, one of the world's strongest and most muscular men.
Lurie's first taste of stardom, however, was the result of lifting objects no heavier than a plastic disk, as he won the "New York State Checker Championships." He attended Tilden High School in Brooklyn, where he trained as a boxer, planning to enter the 1939 New York Golden Gloves Boxing Tournament, only to be disqualified because of a serious heart murmur.
At age 17, Dan joined the Adonis Athletic Club of Brooklyn. Two years later, he finished last place at the annual Mr. New York City physique contest. He recalled, "This made me work out with even more determination."
In 1942, 1943, and 1944, at a bodyweight of 168 pounds, Lurie was runner-up at the AAU Mr. America contest and captured the Most Muscular award all three years.
Not allowed to compete in the 1945 AAU Mr. America event because he appeared in advertisements for Joe Weider's "Your Physique" magazine, Lurie commented, "Bob Hoffman, owner of York Barbell Company and Strength & Health magazine, controlled the  AAU. He hand-picked the winners. John Grimek won the 1940 and 1941 Mr. America contest and he appeared in York Barbell ads. Yet, he was recognized as an amateur.  Why him and not me?"
Lurie partnered with Joe Weider in 1942, to estabish the Dan Lurie Barbell Company. The following year, he established the first of his nine health clubs in the New York area. One facility, an old 50,000 square-foot YMCA building, was equippped with a swimming pool, steam room, and sauna.
Dan insisted that he, rather than the Weider's originated the International Federation of Bodybuilders (IFBB) in opposition to the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU). He said, "The Weider's stole the name from me after the AAU denied me a sanction for the 1946 Mr. East Coast contest.
Throughout the middle 1950's, Lurie appeared on CBS TV's "The Big Top Circus Show" as "Sealtest Dan, the Muscle Man." His strength feats included 1,655 pushups in 90 minutes; 1,225 parallel dips in 90 minutes and he often performed barbell bent-presses with 200 pounds, at a bodyweight of 165 pounds.  Not surprising, his slogan for life remained, "Health is your greatest wealth."
In 1965, Lurie formed the World Bodybuilding Guild (WBBG) to promote local and international physique competitions. For 20 years, his meets drew major physique contestants: Harold Poole, Rick Wayne, Chris Dickerson, Ralph Kroger, Scott Wilson, Don Ross, Boyer Coe, Serge Nubret, Tony Pearson, Lou Ferrigno, Sergio Oliva and others.
That same year, Lurie published the first issue of Muscle Training Illustrated with Reg Park on the cover. In 1971, he was one of the first to feature a cover story on anabolic steroid abuse. Over the following years, he published a series of informative articles written by Dr. Bob Goldman on the dangers and misuse of sport-enhancing drugs.
In 1984, Dan Lurie and President Ronald Reagan, squared off for a supposedly legitimate arm-wrestling match held in the oval office. Lurie explained, " I sent a letter to the White House requesting permission to present President Reagan with a plaque honoring him as the Most Fit President of all Time. The next thing I knew, I was  ushered into the oval office."
"Making the presentation, I jokingly challenged President Reagan to an arm-wrestling contest. His reply was, 'Sure.' We positioned ourselves at his desk and...plunk, he flattens me in about 30 seconds. I screamed for a rematch, only to be put down a second time in about 40 seconds."
A photograph of the historic event appeared on the front page of the New York Times with the caption reading: "Dan Lurie going one-on-one with President Reagan."
In 2010, Lurie was still taking "power walks" for an hour each morning, before his conventional weight-training workout. He remarked, "Now I use light weights and I rest longer between sets. I figure I no longer have a great deal to prove. With little or no regrets, my biggest pride and love in life are my five children, 15 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
"Sealtest Dan, the Muscle Man," died in 2013, at age 90.
Dan Lurie

Height 5'5"

Weight 165

Born April 1,1923 Brooklyn, NY

Died November 8, 2013

Publisher of Muscle Training Illustrated

Chairman of WBBG

[ website ]

[magazine articles]

Mr America - AAU, 2nd
Mr America - AAU, Most Muscular, 1st
Junior Mr America - AAU, 2nd
Mr New York City - AAU, Unknown placing

Mr America - AAU, 2nd

Mr America - AAU, 2nd
Junior Mr America - AAU, 2nd
Junior Mr America - AAU, Most Muscular, 1st

Most Muscular Man in America, Professional, 2nd

Magazines

1942 March   Vol 2, Num 3   Your Physique
1943 September   Vol 3, Num 4   Your Physique
1944 June   Vol 4, Num 2   Your Physique
1947 January   Vol 6, Num 5   Your Physique
1968 October   Num 16   Muscle Training Illustrated
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #711 on: February 17, 2023, 01:06:11 PM »

&t=1s   
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #712 on: February 17, 2023, 01:11:48 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #713 on: February 19, 2023, 01:55:13 PM »

&t=569s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #714 on: February 20, 2023, 03:29:19 AM »
  MARVIN EDER   ...   BICEPS FROM THE BRONX
Marvin Eder is recognized as one of the world's strongest natural strength athletes. Declared a professional athlete by the AAU over a $15 disputed guest appearance, Eder ceased competitive weight-training while in his prime.
Inspired by John Grimek, Eder began strength-training at age 15. As a member of the East Side Barbell Club of Brooklyn, New York, Marvin included free-hand exercises such as parallel bar dips and chins into his hardcore weight-training.
In 1950, Eder won the IFBB Mr. Eastern America title' and in 1951, placed a respectable third, at the AAU Mr. America contest.
Eder was beaten by half a point at the 1951 AAU Junior Mr. America, but won Best Arms, Best Chest, and Best Back subdivisions. Weighing 203 pounds, his waist measured 34-inches; chest, 49-inches; neck, 19-inches; biceps, 19-inches; thighs, 26-inches; and calves, 17-inches.
At the 1953 YMCA Nationals, Eder clean-and-pressed 355 pounds as a middle-heavyweight. This lift surpassed the official American record. His parallel bar dip of 434 pounds, at a bodyweight of 198 pounds, has never been equalled. He also became the third to officially bench press 500 pounds, and the first, weighing less than 200 pounds.
Marvin commented to veteran bodybuilder/journalist David Robson concerning the present trends in bodybuilding:
        "Health was never divorced from my training. I never, under any circumstances, considered the use of artificial drugs to stimulate my muscle growth. What's going on now is a nightmare, an obscenity. In a way, I hope the whole thing will disappear. But, it's getting worse with time. I will not lend my presence to any show, even if they were to honor me. That's in the past. I don't care what present bodybuilders' goals are. If you want to get muscular and stronger, work out hard and look after yourself like I did. Still, you can't beat genetics. Can everyone be an Einstein? No they can't!
Marvin Eder died February 1, 2022at 90 years old.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #715 on: February 20, 2023, 06:19:28 AM »
anyone have york victory barbells ???
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #716 on: February 20, 2023, 06:24:05 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #717 on: February 21, 2023, 03:41:40 AM »
  HAROLD ZINKIN ...FOUNDER OF UNIVERSAL GYM EQUIPMENT
Harold Zinkin,  born May 11,1922, to immigrant Russian parents, grew up in East Los Angeles, where his family settled when he was five years old.
As a youngster, football, track, and gymnastics were Harold's primary interest. Harry Spencer, director of Physical Education for Belvedere Junior High School, had him executing back somersaults, with a full-twist and fast flip-flops, in a matter of months.
As a freshman at Roosevelt High School, Zinkin lettered in track, football and gymnastics; and his junior year, with no formal Olympic-style training, he pressed 170 pounds, snatched 170 pounds, and clean-and-jerked 245 pounds.
Because of an illness in the family, Harold worked eight to ten hour days throughout his final two years of high school. His extra-curricular activity was a twenty-mile weekend bicycle ride to Muscle Beach. There he absorbed and attempted to duplicate the feats other gymnasts, strongmen, and acrobats had mastered. In 1939, Harold won the light-heavyweight "California State Weightlifting Championship," followed by the 1940 "Tri-State and Western Division Championships."
In 1941, at age 19, Zinkin won the first AAU "Mr. California" contest. Vic Tanny, the organizer of the competition, held the contest in his Santa Monica Gym and entered him in the event without Harold's permission. In Zinkin's book, Remembering Muscle Beach, published in 1999, he recalled:
   "I didn't enjoy bodybuilding for posing purposes and I told Mr. Tanny so. I reminded him I didn't stand a chance of winning the contest over the giants competing against me. Regardless, I was a kid and Tanny was an adult gym operator, therefore, I did what I was told. I'd never watched a bodybuilding contest and took my posing ideas from muscle magazines. And I won against future AAU "Mr. America contenders."
During World War II, Zinkin was assigned to the Naval Physical Instructor's School in Bainbridge, Maryland. He was transferred as a Company Commander to the San Diego Naval Training Station. Later reassigned to the Navy Physical Rehabilitation School at Sampson, New York, and finished his naval obligation at the Long Beach Naval Hospital.
In 1945, Zinkin won his division in the "National Weightlifting Championships" and the same day, placed second to Clarence Ross at the AAU "Mr. America" contest.
 In 1949, after winning the professional clean-and-jerk championships, Harold retired from competitive weightlifting and bodybuilding. He had the distinction of never experiencing defeat in an official weightlifting contest.
In 1948, Zinkin partnered with Bruce Connor to establish Bruce Connor's Physical Services in West Los Angeles. The combination healthclub/ rehabilitation center was staffed by registered physical therapists, along with AAU "Mr. America winners John Forbotnik and George Eifferman. To raise venture capital for their new business, Zinkin and Connor toured as an acrobatic duo, duplicating feats they had perfected at Muscle Beach.
Relocating to Fresno, California, in 1953, Zinkin expanded his health club operation to 30 American Health & Silhouette Figure Form Studios throughout Central and Northern California.
After designing and fabricating the multi-station Universal Gym exercise machine in 1957, Harold founded the Universal Gym Equipment Company. This revolutionary exercise unit featured seperate weight stacks that moved up and down on solid runner guides, with weight changes made quick and easy through a weight-key system. In 1968, the company sold to the Whittaker Corporation in a multi-million-dollar transaction, and Zinkin remained as CEO.
Over the next 25-years, Harold established shopping centers and other real estate ventures. However, he remarked, "If I'm proud of anything, it's the Universal machine. There probably isn't a professional athlete who hasn't trained on a Universal at least once."
Harold's numerous honorary achievements included the Big Heart Award from the American Heart Association and his induction into the World Acrobatic Association Hall of Fame in 2000.
Harild Zinkin died September 22, 2004, at age 82, from a fall in his home.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #718 on: February 21, 2023, 11:46:05 AM »
   DR. WALTER MARCYAN ....PROUD TO THE END
Dr. Walter Marcyan, (Walt Marcy) born in 1913, was raised on the tough side of Chicago, Illinois. When recalling his youth, he stated: "My dad was a braggart, a thief, a womanizer, and an all-around scroundrel. When I reached the age of ten, he abandoned our family of five and my uncle became my mentor. He took me to a Polish Turner Hall (Turnervein) to practice hand-balancing, tumbling, gymnastics and apparatus work, while encouraging me to live a clean life and not smoke or drink. "
At the age of 12, Walt received his first home-style weight set and dedicated his life to the pursuit of physical excellence. On his 18th birthday, he received a badly wanted 205-pound Milo barbell.
Already an avid reader of Physical Culture and Strength magazines, Marcyan was facinated by the history of old-time strongmen and their records.
In 1933, Walt organized the Marcy Weightlifting Club to compete for state championships. In 1934, in the 165-pound class, he won the Illinois State Championship, Central AAU Championship, and the German-Polish Turnverein Championship. He held the California and Pacific Coast titles from 1936 to 1938.
In 1935, before moving to Southern California, Walt teamed with his training partners, Irv Fulton and Ed Fruche, to form the hand-balancing trio known as the Three Sizes. He noted: "Not that we made big money! It was a living! Vaudeville was on the way out. You might work one weekend and do nothing for two or three. Playing the Fox Theater in Detroit and training at Ed Jacobson's Gym, I was the lightest in the United States to clean and jerk 300 pounds."
A major event in Marcyan's early stage career occurred when he and his two partners were invited to perform at the Scala Theatre in Berlin. After arriving in Germany, Adolph Hitler invaded Poland and the trio was barely able to flee the country and return to the United States before war erupted throughout Europe.
Marcyan scored high at the 1941 AAU Mr. California physique contest and placed sixth at the 1949 Professional Mr. USA, against Clarance Ross, Steve Reeves, Alan Stephan, Eric Pedersen and Floyd Page. 
In 1946, Walt opened the House of Health fitness center on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles, with seperate facilities for men and women. This was the first of seven gyms Walt established throughout the Los Angeles area.
Marcyan published Physical Power magazine from 1960 to 1965, co-edited by Gene Mozee, the California bodybuilder with a near-photographic memory. The bi-monthly journal, aimed at promoting bodybuilding in high schools and colleges, was mailed free to approximately 25,000 athletic directors and coaches throughout the United States.
In 1965, although Marcyan's formal education ended at the eighth grade, he graduated from Los Angeles College of Chiropractic Medicine and passed the California State Board and National Board of Chiropractic Examiners.
In addition to Marcy's House of Health seven health facilities, he opened a retail store under the name of Marcy Fitness Products to help in the distribution of his new line of exercise machines. The Circuit-Trainer a multi-station unit that he designed in the mid-1960's, enabled up to 16 trainees to exercise simultaneously. Over a period of 20 years, total figures from his equipment sales grew from $35,000 to $36 million per year.
In 2007, when asked by 86-year-old Leo Stern, how life was treating him, 94-year-old Walter Marcyan replied: "I had a back fusion in 1968; both hips and a knee replacement since. I was diagnosed wih cancer of the prostate in 1979, however, this is in remission.            Other than that, eveything seems to be going pretty well. Oh yeah, I'm drinking Tart Cherry Juice for arthritic aches and pain, It works pretty well. You should try it."
Dr. Walter Marcyan died in 2007, at age 94. His wife died one day earlier. Their deaths occurred of natural causes.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #719 on: February 21, 2023, 12:05:06 PM »

tool  ::) ;D :D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #720 on: February 21, 2023, 01:09:11 PM »

F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #721 on: February 21, 2023, 02:07:01 PM »

NEXT to kawak right of him end vic terra awesome build...tried npc would have been like a thicker labrada type in that late 80 to early 90's era..

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #722 on: February 22, 2023, 04:24:11 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #723 on: February 22, 2023, 05:43:38 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #724 on: February 22, 2023, 06:10:06 AM »
  Eldridge Wayne Coleman, better known by his ring name, "Superstar" Billy Graham, is an American retired professional wrestler. An iconic figure in the grappling world, he gained recognition for his tenure as the WWWF Heavyweight Champion in 1977 and 1978. Some of his wrestling progeges include Holk Hogan, Jesse Ventura, and Ric Flair.

Coleman was born in 1943 into a working-class family in Phoenix, Arizona. As a teenager he was an avid reader of bodybuilding magazines, his idols being Steve Reeves and John Grimek.

Coleman was a shotput champion in high school and participated in Golden Gloves boxing tournaments. At age 26, he tried out for the Canadian Football League's Calgary Stampedes but was traded to the Montreal Alouettes. In between football engagements, he worked as a bouncer in various nightclubs.

In 1961, Coleman won the West Coast division of the AAU Teeenage Mr. America contest. He began intense training in 1968 at Gold's Gym in Santa Monica, where he worked out with Dave Draper, Franco Columbu and Arnold Schwarzenegger. He was able to bench presss 605 pounds, which amounted to 11-pounds shy of Pat Casey's world bench press record.

In 1969, Coleman (now known as Billy Graham) debuted as a professional wrestler and continued hardcore weight training. At the 1975 WBBG Pro Mr. America contest, held in NewYork City, his 22-inch upper arms captured the Best Developed Arms division.

In 1980, weighing 325 pounds, Graham took part in the World's Strongest Man competition, held in Great Gorge, New Jersey. He finished seventh in spite of injuring himself in one of the events. That same year he hosted the U.S. International Powerlifting Championship in Phoenix, Arizona.

Graham has suffered severe health conditions since retiring from the ring in 1989. In 2002, he received a liver transpant and was hospitalized in 2006, due to a bowel obstruction.

His serious ailments have continued as years rolled by. In 2016, he underwent medical procedure due to internal bleeding.

Today, (on the good side) Eldridge Wayne Coleman, ("Superstar" Billy Graham) at age 76, lives in Paradise Valley, Arizona, with his loving wife Valerie, whom he married in 1978.
F