Author Topic: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.  (Read 82381 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: odds and ends [bodybuilding related.
« Reply #750 on: March 02, 2023, 12:20:10 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #751 on: March 03, 2023, 04:31:27 AM »
  GEORGE F. JOWETT ... THE YOUNG HACKENSCHMIDT
George Jowett was one of the most colorful and interesting personalities of newer Iron Game history. He was intelligent, energetic, charismatic and often sretched the truth to put himself  and other well-known physical culturists in a stronger light.
At the body weight of 154 pounds, he claimed to have been the first in America to lift double body weight overhead. He also claimed to have clean and jerked 340 pounds while weighing 176 pounds. At the body weight of 192 pounds, to have been the first in America to one-arm swing 210 pounds overhead.
Jowett had a heavy-boned frame with large hands, thick wrists and a deep rib cage. For certain, he regularly performed strength feats which often combined balance and power. He was doing "standing back-flip's"  and "handstand press-ups" into his 60's.
He was also known for bringing other stongmen to their knees with a hand shake. His fingers were the size of sausages, with 8 1/4-inch wrists; forearms, 15-inches and upper arms, 17 3/4-inches.
During his early years, Jowett, the blacksmith, likewise worked as a paid entertainer for carnivals and fairs. He specialized in bending/breaking horseshoes, snap-breaking chains, hoisting awkward objects and shouldering heavy kegs and huge wooden barrels.
In later years, he appeared on stage as "Young Hackenschmidt." His most famous, but questioned strength feat was hoisting by the horn, a 168-pound iron anvil to his shoulder, with one hand and pressing it to arm's length overhead.                               
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #753 on: March 04, 2023, 12:21:18 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #755 on: March 05, 2023, 05:51:09 AM »
 :)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #756 on: March 05, 2023, 11:55:33 AM »
   GEORGE HAKENSCHMIDT ... ONE OF THE GREATEST PROFESSIONAL WRESTLERS
 George Hackenschmidt, known as one of the greatest professional wrestlers of his time, used weight training to increase his strength on the mat while he also won major weightlifting tournaments. His signiture wrestling maneuver was the "bear-hug" which allowed him to win many of his 3,000 matches in less than ten minutes.
One of Hackenschmidt's favorite leg exercises was to hold a barbell firmly against his lower buttocks and squat until his upper thighs were parallel to the floor and then return to starting position. At a guest performance in 1902, he performed 50 repetitions of this movement with a 110-pound barbell. The lift is now referred to as the "Hack Squat".
Because of Hackenschmidt's vast popularity, especially throughout Europe, it appeared easy for him to profit from his extensive knowledge and interest in social philosophy by examining the in-vogue field of physical culture from that perspective.
Most of "Hacks" published works dealt with the significance of proper mental attitude in obtaining strength. He claimed that harmful thoughts, depression, and lack of perseverance, hindered the progression of health and strength. Coffee, tobacco and alcohol were considered poison.
At age 80, Hackenschmidt remained in excellent physical condition and still participated in weight training and wrestling. While in his middle 70s, he regulary performed several repetition jumps over a rope stretched the height of the backs of two kitchen chairs. He stated he obtained his muscle building protein from the 11 pints of milk he daily drank.
Hackenschmidt died of natural causes in 1968, at age 89. He was quoted as saying, "Througnout my extensive career, I've not bothered as to whether I was a champion or not a champion. The only title I've desired to be known by, is simply my Christian name, George Hackenschmidt." 
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #757 on: March 06, 2023, 05:29:24 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #758 on: March 06, 2023, 11:21:40 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #759 on: March 07, 2023, 09:21:43 AM »
  MIKE KATZ  ...  TRUE GENTLEMAN,GREAT ATHLETE
Mike Katz, born in 1944, in New Haven, Connectiut, is a former professional bodybuilder and former professional football player, possibly most famous for his appearance with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 1977 bodybuilding documentary "Pumping Iron."
Mike played football for Southern Connecticut State University and the New York Jets before ending his NFL career due to a leg injury.
As a child, Mike suffered intense bullying that caused him to begin weight training, which transformed his size and strength, along with his confidence. His outstanding bodybuilding career included winning the 1972 IFBB Mr. Universe competition and placing second at a Mr. Olympia event.
At the height of 6-feet, 1-inch and weighing 240 pounds, with his major role in the film "Pumping Iron," Mike quickly became one of bodybuilding's most popular "Golden Age" competitors.
Throughout the years in which he pursued his athletic career and beyond, Katz taught in the Connecticut school system for more than 30 years.
Katz expanded his teachings outside the school system when he opened one of the first World Gyms in the United States and later 5 Planet Fitness facilities. He was also one of the earliest celebrities to promote the revered Special Olympics.
Mike appeared in the documentary "Challenging Impossibility," commenting on the weightlifting odyssey of spiritual teacher and peace advocate Sri Chinmoy. The film was an Official Selection of the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival.
 "Mighty" Mike Katz continues to stay active while his son, Mike Jr. oversees the daily operation of their health club facilities. He and his partner Jerry Mastrangelo are promoting Northern States bodybuilding contests through their Connecticut Productions organization.
On a tastier note, Mike has recently gone into the Pizza business. I doubt he delivers to Oregon, or I'd order one. Mike is a truly kind gentle giant.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #761 on: March 08, 2023, 10:07:29 AM »
   DR. FRED HATFIELD, Ph.D. ...CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS
Fred Hatfield, PhD., born in 1942, was raised in Connecticut orphanages until age 19. In high school, he competed in track and field, soccer, basketball, cross-county, and was considered the school's "best athlete." Following high school, Fred spent two years in the Office of Naval Intelligence for the U. S. Marine Corps, in the Philippines.
Discharged in 1964, Hatfield enrolled at Southern Connecticut State University, where he competed at the National Gymnastics Championships for three consecutive years. 
Hatfield accepted a teaching fellowship at the University of Illinois at Champaign / Urbana, where he completed his Master's degree and earned a Doctorate from Temple University of Wisconsin. There, he conducted research in sports psychology and taught undergraduate and graduate programs.
Fred left academia in 1985, to establish a fitness equipment and weight facility in New Orleans. He relocated to California to launch Sports Fitness magazine for Weider Health and Fitness, Inc. From 1991 to 1994, he served as Director of Research & Development for Titan Sports Inc.
More than 200 of Fred's                                                                                                                                           articles on sports training, fitness, bodybuilding, and performance nutrition have been published. A defender of steroid use, one of his best selling books, Anabolic Steroids: What Kind and How Many, was printed in 1982. 
Hatfield's unsurpassed accomplishment in powerlifting occurred at age 45. At the height of five-feet, six-inches, and weighing 245 pounds, he completed a 1,014-pound squat; then, the heaviest squat in official competition. He captured three World Powerlifting Championships and held national and world records in different weight classes. His top official and unofficial lifts include the 1,014-pound squat; 523-pound bench press; 766-pound deadlift; 275-pound snatch; and a clean and jerk of 369-pounds. He continued competitive lifting until the late 1990's.
Hatfield commented on the 1,014-pound squat that he completed in 1987, at the Hawaii World Record Breaker's Meet. He said, "I never really had any goals except for squatting the 1,000 pounds. There's a fine line between passion and obsession, and I'm not an obsessive person. So once I got as far as I thought I could go without getting a lot heavier, which I didn't want to do because I was eating about 10,000 calories a day, I took advantage of my success and I quit."
Affectionately known in the strongman world as Doctor Squat, Fred was awarded the 1991 Alumni Citation Award from Southern Connecticut State University in recognition of his achievements and distinguished professional career. He was inducted into the Powerlifting Hall of Fame in 2000.
In 2010, Dr. Hatfield, co-founder and president of the International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA), jokingly commented to a group of enthusiastic weightlifters, "I may not know "diddley," but I do know "squat!"
Another of his memorable quotes was recorded at a strength-coaching symposium, where an interviewer asked Hatfield his opinion of Nautilus exercise machines. Fred politely replied, "Well, they're good for one thing. They can be melted down and made into free weights."
Doctor Squat died in 2017, at age 74.
(A poem copied from The Hardcore Bodybuilding Club)
Down this road, in a gym far away,
A young man was heard to say,
"I've repped high and I've repped low"
"No matter what I do, my legs won't grow"
He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too
Trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do.
From the corner of the gym where the big men train, through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain
Where the iron rides high and threatens lives,
and the noise is made with big forty fives,
a deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees,
a very big man with legs like trees.
Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack
chalking his hands and monstrous back,
he said, "boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten,
the trouble with you is you ain't been squattin!"
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #762 on: March 09, 2023, 10:05:33 AM »
  KEN WALLER  ... CAST AS VILLIAN
Ken Waller was born on March 20, 1942. He is originally from Jeffersonville, Indiana. He attended Western Kentucky University at Bowling Green (class of 1965), where he was a member of the undefeated 1963 Tangerine Bowl football team. A photograph of Waller still hangs in the WKU football team's locker room. Ken could often be found at the 13th St. Barber Shop near WKU where his buddies, Howard Poindexter, Fred Turner, and Slick Thurman cut hair. He went on to play professional football in Canada, after serving in the United States Marine Corps and teaching high school in Louisville.
Waller, at six feet tall and 230 pounds, was one of the most frequent winning amateur bodybuilders of the 1970s. His most notable win was depicted in the film Pumping Iron, at the Mr. Universe contest of 1975. In a controversial contest, he edged out Roger Walker of Australia, Paul Grant of Wales and his fellow Pumping Iron co-star, Mike Katz, of the US, to take the first place. He went on to compete at the professional level the following year in the 1976 Mr. Olympia contest, where he again defeated Mike Katz to win first place in the heavyweight (over 200 pound) division.He continued to place in the 1977, 1980 and 1981 Mr. Olympias, taking second place in the tall category and fifth overall in 1977. Unlike Frank Zane or lighter competitors, Waller was not known for an aesthetic physique, rather, like fellow competitors, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno, he relied on size to gain the attention from judges, which at the time, was only beginning to gain popularity.
Unfortunately for him, he was cast as the villian/antagonist to Mike Katz in the film documentary Pumping Iron, which left a lasting impression on those who viewed the film, that he was devious and underhanded.
Waller and Katz were, in fact, friends, as Waller recounted in (Raw Iron ...The Making of Pumping Iron), but his reputation as "villian" stuck in people's minds. He stated: "I would go to contests and get booed, after that!"
Among his many wins were;
1969 AAU Junior Mr. USA
1969 Mr. USA
1970 AAU Mr. America 2nd
1970 AAU Mr. World
1971 IFBB Mr. America
1971 IFBB Mr. International
1971 NABBA Mr. Universe
1975 IFBB Universe
Ken waller will be 80 years old March 20th. I have no information on his current state of health or activities.  ???         
&t=144s
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #763 on: March 10, 2023, 10:03:38 AM »
   DANNY PADILLA...THE GIANT KILLER
Dennis "Danny" Padilla, born in 1951,  began weight training when he was seven years old in Rochester, New York. He acquired a York Big Ten Barbell/Dumbbell set as a hand-me-down from his older brother Ray, and determined to become a champion bodybuilder.
At age 18, while still in high school, Danny won the 1970 Mr. Rochester contest. He continued  to win competitions in the upstate New York area and progressed to participating in the 1974 AAU Junior Mr. America  and AAU Mr. America contests and finished in the top 20 of both events.
Padilla then entered the 1974  AAU World Championships in the lightweight division, He recalled, "I lost to a guy who didn't even shave his legs!" After the show, an AAU judge was "kind" enough to inform Danny that, in his opinion, he had a great physique, however, at 5' 2" tall, he was much too short to be a major competitive bodybuilder.
Danny made the decision to change affiliations and compete in the International Federation of Bodybuilders (IFBB) events. His first contest was the 1975 IFBB Mr. USA that took place at the old Madison Square Garden in NYC. To his surprise the 23-year-old not only won the lightweight division, but captured the overall trophy. It was during that outing with the IFBB that Padilla met Joe Weider who invited him to train in California.
Padilla arrived in Los Angeles, in time to take part in the filming of Pumping Iron. He then trained for three months to prepare for the upcoming IFBB Mr. Universe competition in South Africa.
Disaster struck in Pretoria. Minutes before the Universe competition was to begin, Danny was informed that he could not compete. The IFBB had made the decision to have two heavyweights represent the United States...Ken Waller and Mike Katz...and one middleweight, Robby Robinson. Their reasoning was that since Katz was retiring, they would let him attempt to win the contest one more time.
Padilla quickly maneuvered to get a spot on Portugal's team. The IFBB would have none of this and disqualified him in order to avoid the embarrassment that his potential win for Portugal would cause the IFBB organization.
The following year, Danny competed in the IFBB Universe, but placed runner-up to Mohamed Makkawy. In 1977, he walked off the stage with the first place trophy for the IFBB Mr. America and the Mr. Universe titles. It was the first time a lightweight had defeated both a middleweight and heavyweight for the overall winner.
Padilla became one of the only two men in the history of the sport to win both the IFBB America and the IFBB Universe in the same year, the other being Frank Zane.
Today, the "Giant Killer" works as a personal trainer. He was inducted into the IFBB Hall of Fame in 2009, and the Muscle Beach Hall of Fame in 2015.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #764 on: March 10, 2023, 12:18:56 PM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #765 on: March 12, 2023, 04:41:30 AM »
JIMMY PAYNE ... 1950 IFBB MR. AMERICA
Jimmy Payne was born in 1926, in Oakland, California. As a child, his family lived in Alameda, near Neptune Beach, which was considered by many to be the "Muscle Beach" of Northern California.
In his early teens, Payne began practicing gymnastics and weight training at Carl Cathy's Gym and later at Jack LaLanne's studio. At Neptune Beach, he engaged in hand balancing with LaLanne, 12 years his senior, and Ed Yarick, owner of a gym where Clancy Ross, Steve Reeves and Jack Delinger trained.
In 1943, at age 17, Jimmy joined the U. S. Navy and due to his athletic background he became a P. T. Instructor at San Francisco's Treasure Island Naval Air Station.
Upon discharge, Payne opened a health studio in Oakland and began entering weightlifting events, while perfecting a "sensational" hand balancing act with LaLanne. For years, they performed at local and state fairs, high schools, churches, nightclubs and athletic events.
(Jimmy told the story that in one of the hand balancing acts that he performed with LaLanne, they missed a trick, but nobody in the audience left. The reason? They were in San Quentin, the state prison in Califonia.)
Standing 5" 6" and weighing 150 pounds, Payne was declared the 1950 IFBB Mr. America. The same year, he worked as a lifeguard, bartender and entertainer. (Equally adept to muscle control as he was at hand balancing, Jimmy was a sought-after emcee, comedian, and tap dancer.)
At the body weight of 150 pounds, Payne was credited with a military press of 245 pounds, a 210 pound snatch, and a clean and jerk with 280 pounds, which earned him third place as a lightweight at the 1951 World Championships in Milan, Italy. He also squatted 425 pounds, deadlifted 500 lbs, and on his 52nd birthday, performed 51 hand-stand pressups.
However, Payne's most notable feats were in wrist wrestling, where he was four-time lightweight world champion and emceed the World Wrist-Wrestling Championships for several years.
In the early 1970s, as a publicity stunt, Jimmy wrist-wrestled young Arnold Schwarzenegger who out-weighed him by over 80 pounds. When asked how he had done, Payne replied. "I whipped his ass."
Jimmy Payne, a true pioneer bodybuilder, died in 2012, at age 85.
F

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #766 on: March 12, 2023, 04:50:38 AM »
Great thread Funk.....thanks !!  :)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #767 on: March 13, 2023, 12:35:44 PM »
 ;D ::) ???
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #768 on: March 14, 2023, 09:34:51 AM »
  PAUL WYNTER
Paul Wynter, born in 1935, in St. John's Antigua, is best known for his two NABBA Mr. Universe crowns. He was awarded the title in 1960 and again in 1966, while placing high in the competition over several years prior to his first place victory.
During Paul's bodybuilding career he was admired for having one of the most symmetrical physiques of that era. At the height of 5-feet, 8-inches tall and weighing 180 pounds, he was featured in world-wide fitness magazines along with fourteen times in Strength & Health Magazine, as late as 1997.
In the early 1960's, during the golden era of sword and sandal films, Wynter co-starred with Gordon Mitchell and Mark Forest in three movie productions, while he appeared in several French-made comedies. In 1974, he performed a strongman act on a popular TV variety show.
In 2009, Wynter, at age 68, and his wife, two years younger, managed a care home in New Moston, Manchester, England. In that year, a mentally unstable neighbor broke into their home and viciously stabbed them with a knife. Paul was hit in the chest and sustained a punctured lung. Fortunatly, both survived the incident.
Paul stated, "I still work out and doctors said that had I been built like most people my age, I would probably have died. The muscle stopped the knife from entering further than it did and that's why I am still here."
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #769 on: March 15, 2023, 09:16:02 AM »
THE RISE AND FALL OF BODYBUILDING
(contributed by Tom McCormack)
Bodybuilding was like a day of smooth surf until the 1975 movie “Pumping Iron” created a crashing tsunami of public attention. A handful of builders became overnight celebrities. Lou Ferrigno and Arnold Schwarzenegger rode the arching crest of the wave into Hollywood. Commercial gyms, personal trainers, and instant experts popped up in the roiling wake. Suddenly everyone wanted to “get big.”
The builders themselves were a gullible lot, always looking for that elusive “secret” so they might be the next Arnold, the next Big Lou, the next Mike Katz. This gullibilty attracted even those at the top to make a pilgrimmage to Florida, but it didn’t take them long to realize that “one set to failure” on exotic new machines was a fool’s errand. But the newbies, the rising stars, started training that way and High Intensity Training (HIT) was born. It worked for a while until it broke their bodies down. And if there actually was a “secret,” it was the right cocktail of Andogenic Anabolic Steroids (AAS) that, like HIT, worked until it didn’t.
A 2017 report from Harvard Medical School showed a clear connection between AAS and cardiovascular disease (CVD). The bottom line: when you take steroids it causes a weakening of the heart muscle within 2-years and accelerates narrowing of the heart arteries by 20-years. AAS use is now so widespread that it is estimated that 1% of all males between 15 and 30 have used steroids, and most of them are not even athletes.Today steroids are a common CVD risk factor, right along with high LDL cholesterol, smoking, obesity, stress, and a sedentary lifestyle.
HIT left crippled bodies in its wake, while AAS led to annulled gold medals, invalidated home run records, and an early grave. Still, youngsters with visions of biceps dancing in their heads shoot up and pump up and scream against immovable weights in a forest of urban gyms that never close.
Meanwhile, a few of the oldtime star bodybuilders—Steve Reeves, Bill Pearl, and Frank Zane—stubbornly resisted the destructive “new wave” and  continued to espouse sane training and a healthy lifestyle. Reeves invented Power Walking to add to your weight training, Pearl adopted a meatless diet and quietly continued his high-volume, moderate intensity training, and Frank Zane published newsletters and books on authentic training and a healthy lifestyle. Reeves was unlucky and got hit with cancer, and now Bill Pearl is gone too. Only Frank Zane is still with us. When he is gone, we won’t have any living models to follow. There’s nothing of use in any of the glossy magazines unless you want to waste money on useless expensive supplements. A new personal trainer in a chrome-plated sparkling mirrored gym doesn’t have any answers either because authentic bodybuilding is already a thing of the past.The tsunami of ’75 washed away the old beach and there doesn’t seem to be anything ridable lining up on the horizon. 
So, what to do? Each one of us who understands this situation must try to become a living model ourselves, based on the sensible training styles of Steve Reeves, Bill Pearl, and Frank Zane. Their information is still out there, at least for now--please practice it and teach the next generation if you can.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #770 on: March 16, 2023, 01:09:33 PM »

&t=73s 
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #771 on: March 17, 2023, 06:28:33 AM »

F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #772 on: March 17, 2023, 09:16:09 AM »
   FRANK ZANE ... THREE TIME MR. OLYMPIA CHAMPION
Frank Zane, the classical, no-nonsense, legendary bodybuilder, captured the 1968 IFBB Mr. America contest and one week later, won the IFBB Mr. Universe title, over Arnold Schwarzenegger. In 1970, he gained the NABBA Amateur Mr. Universe title and in 1972,  was awarded the NABBA  Professional Mr. Universe crown.
In 1977, 1978 and 1979, Zane walked away with the Sandow Trophy as the winner of the IFBB Mr. Olympia contests. At the height of five-feet, nine-inches, and weighing 180 pounds, his reign represented a shift of emphasis from muscular mass to aesthetics. When on stage, you could bet he was in his finest physical condition, and was a master poser.
In the course of his 23 years of physique competition, Frank appeared on 59 magazine covers and wrote a bestseller, The Zane Way to a Beautiful Body. The book, published in 1979, tallied one quarter of a million sales in hardcover and paperback. He was inducted into the IFBB Hall of Fame in 1999, and received the Arnold Schwarzenegger Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004. In 2005, he was placed into the Muscle Beach Venice Bodybuilding Hall of Fame. 
These days Frank continues to train for fitness,meditate, play music, and enjoy life.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #773 on: March 17, 2023, 11:58:41 AM »
&t=96s   borrowed from another thread
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #774 on: March 17, 2023, 04:09:55 PM »

&t=725s   another good find, these guys make the current crop look like  bags of smashed assholes. sorry but it's true.
F