Author Topic: How was Shawn Ray able to do it?  (Read 8072 times)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: How was Shawn Ray able to do it?
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2022, 11:01:05 PM »
Dorian looked like absolute shit in 94 when relaxed.
1994  Mr. O was the first show that began to reward based on mass and conditioning and aesthetics took a back seat. This was the beginning of the end of bodybuilding aesthetics if you compete against Dorian. Absolutely terrible.  The beginning of guts and spilled over obliques. He looks like a skinny guy in a barrel with twigs sticking out. Shawn Ray was damn near perfect.

wiggs the judges never cared how they looked relaxed, it's all about the mandatory poses

the winner has always been the freakiest guy on stage, aesthetics are subjective and irrelevant

E
E

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2022, 09:09:32 AM »
wiggs the judges never cared how they looked relaxed, it's all about the mandatory poses

the winner has always been the freakiest guy on stage, aesthetics are subjective and irrelevant

E
Samir?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2022, 10:56:25 AM »
My favorite bodybuilder of all time. Not afraid to give his true opinions, just like a Getbigger.

Should have at least one Sandow, probably more.

Definition of consistency and longevity.

Do they have an IFBB Hall of Fame? If so, he is a lock.
Was run out of Getbig. Great bodybuilder and really good commentator when he did bodybuilding shows for ESPN.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2022, 10:59:56 AM »
Was run out of Getbig. Great bodybuilder and really good commentator when he did bodybuilding shows for ESPN.

Who got Ray to do the spoon pic? Was it getbig or bb.com misc?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2022, 12:09:11 PM »
I gotta` dig up a few old pics I took of Shawn.

He was eating in the Sheraton Hotel lobby in Pittsburgh {host hotel} and I asked if he would mind if I took a few pics....he said "no problem".

Then he came backstage where all the contestants were and shot the shit with all of us for quite a while.....he was really cool not like some of the stuff you hear about him.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2022, 04:02:49 PM »
I gotta` dig up a few old pics I took of Shawn.

He was eating in the Sheraton Hotel lobby in Pittsburgh {host hotel} and I asked if he would mind if I took a few pics....he said "no problem".

Then he came backstage where all the contestants were and shot the shit with all of us for quite a while.....he was really cool not like some of the stuff you hear about him.

Exactly. Shawn is a good dude. I don't get the hate.

Basically, don't have open/public strong opinions on anything if you don't want to get hate.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2022, 04:06:56 PM »
Dorian looked like absolute shit in 94 when relaxed.
1994  Mr. O was the first show that began to reward based on mass and conditioning and aesthetics took a back seat. This was the beginning of the end of bodybuilding aesthetics if you compete against Dorian. Absolutely terrible.  The beginning of guts and spilled over obliques. He looks like a skinny guy in a barrel with twigs sticking out. Shawn Ray was damn near perfect.

Dorian is dog shit, overrated,  everyone says “you have to see him to believe it” give me a break. All politics. Only schmoes and confused individuals will find that sort of physique “amazing”

Bbing after all is subjective and those homos on the east coast (where Dorian would train before the olympia) bev Francis’s gym had a lot of pull on the judging

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2022, 04:16:24 PM »
I saw Yates in person in 1995. He was preparing for the Olympia. He said that he was 295. He was extremely impressive.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2022, 05:53:14 PM »
How was Shawn able to "do it"?  Simple.  He took a bunch of PEDs.  It's how they all "do it" so he wasn't doing anything that others were not doing.

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2022, 06:16:24 PM »
I saw Yates in person in 1995. He was preparing for the Olympia. He said that he was 295. He was extremely impressive.

Paul Dillett, Gunter, Nasser, Ruhl were all more impressive in person

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2022, 06:50:15 PM »
Paul Dillett, Gunter, Nasser, Ruhl were all more impressive in person

Most impressive I've ever seen and I've seen countless was offseason Ronnie in 03. Palumbo was impressive believe it or not. Huge and shredded even offseason.

I wasn't as impressed with Ramy as I thought I'd be
Kai was insane dense. His legs were out of this world.
Phil isn't narrow like you'd think he'd be. He's actually damn near flawless and his arms were Ronnieesque.
Jay Cutler, wide as hell.
Offseason Marcus Ruhl even wider.
Aaron Baker was absolutely phenomenal. Looked like a superhero.
Great calves especially for a brother.
Dennis Newman before he got leukemia looked like a real life Superman.
Gunther = Aryan ideal. Tall, good looking, well proportioned and German.
Paul Dillet = wide
Lee Priest was not impressed like I thought I'd be
Milos Sarcev looked like handsome Squidward perfect tan, hair, taller than I thought he'd be.
Chris Comier= saw him off season and he was much larger than I thought he'd be and carried it really well.
Shawn Ray = in 96 to me he was huge after I was used to being around pros he was tiny in the 00s.
So many others Im sure I missed, these are standouts. Wish I could have seen prime Dorian.

Bevo

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2022, 07:07:24 PM »
Most impressive I've ever seen and I've seen countless was offseason Ronnie in 03. Palumbo was impressive believe it or not. Huge and shredded even offseason.

I wasn't as impressed with Ramy as I thought I'd be
Kai was insane dense. His legs were out of this world.
Phil isn't narrow like you'd think he'd be. He's actually damn near flawless and his arms were Ronnieesque.
Jay Cutler, wide as hell.
Offseason Marcus Ruhl even wider.
Aaron Baker was absolutely phenomenal. Looked like a superhero.
Great calves especially for a brother.
Dennis Newman before he got leukemia looked like a real life Superman.
Gunther = Aryan ideal. Tall, good looking, well proportioned and German.
Paul Dillet = wide
Lee Priest was not impressed like I thought I'd be
Milos Sarcev looked like handsome Squidward perfect tan, hair, taller than I thought he'd be.
Chris Comier= saw him off season and he was much larger than I thought he'd be and carried it really well.
Shawn Ray = in 96 to me he was huge after I was used to being around pros he was tiny in the 00s.
So many others Im sure I missed, these are standouts. Wish I could have seen prime Dorian.

Agree on all accounts, didn’t name Ronnie on there cause I thought that was the obvious  ;D

I saw Ronnie a lot in 03 when he was prepping for the O, over 300 pounds and just crazy looking.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2022, 07:10:26 PM »
Samir?

horrid competition and he was the most complete guy on stage

E
E

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2022, 01:18:31 AM »
Dorian is dog shit, overrated,  everyone says “you have to see him to believe it” give me a break. All politics. Only schmoes and confused individuals will find that sort of physique “amazing”

Bbing after all is subjective and those homos on the east coast (where Dorian would train before the olympia) bev Francis’s gym had a lot of pull on the judging
Nothing overrated about Dorian, especially his early career.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2022, 02:11:55 AM »
During the most competitive era of bodybuilding, at 5'7 (that's generous) between 205-212lbs on stage. No guru, no nutritionist, no counting calories, no posing coach, this man ended up having one of the best bodies of all time. Never touched slin (his words), I don't believe he ever touched GH either.

2nd place in Mr. O in 94 and 96. Top 6 in 12 of 13 years he competed.

Incredible when you look back and think about it. We can look back and assassinate his character as he gives us plenty of reasons to but when it comes to the business of bodybuilding there's few that can match or exceed him.

Gotta give respect where it's due.  8)
Btw, what a meal lineup! Look what these guys do today and are miserable.

Trial an error.
I remember him claiming that he made minor adjustments depending on how he looked in the mirror.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2022, 02:59:27 AM »

You do realize that people he competed with have repeatedly said you had to see him in person. Not just star struck fanboys. And Steve Weinberger judged Dorian once and placed him second to Momo , so much for that excuse  ::)

Just because he's not your cup of tea doesn't mean he wasn't that good. He never placed below second in any professional show and was only beaten twice. He was that good even if you don't get it.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2022, 03:20:14 AM »

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2022, 03:33:52 AM »
1994. This is where Shawn lost the show. Standing relaxed from the rear.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2022, 11:14:23 AM »

Shawn lost the show because he was almost 60lbs lighter ( among other reasons ) Dorian was 262lbs and Shawn was 205lbs.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2022, 08:54:48 PM »

the problem for shawn wasn't losing one pose, the problem was he lost every pose outside of front double bicep

E
E

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2022, 01:26:58 AM »
He had the genetics and discipline. Also, compared to Dillet he was a mental giant.

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2022, 04:34:27 AM »
You do realize that people he competed with have repeatedly said you had to see him in person. Not just star struck fanboys. And Steve Weinberger judged Dorian once and placed him second to Momo , so much for that excuse  ::)

Just because he's not your cup of tea doesn't mean he wasn't that good. He never placed below second in any professional show and was only beaten twice. He was that good even if you don't get it.
Did you ever see him in person? Which show if the answer is yes