Author Topic: You will own nothing and be happy - Careful with your homes  (Read 4671 times)

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
Re: You will own nothing and be happy - Careful with your homes
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2022, 01:19:19 PM »
This doesn't really sound anything like the 2008 recession. That was caused by institutional investors who were looking for ways to invest in US housing market
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate_investment_trust

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2022, 04:01:17 PM »
Make America Great...Again

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2022, 04:16:45 PM »
I think it’s a lovely idea.

History has clearly proven that if you give lazy, uneducated, illiterate, violent prone “people” free stuff they with step up and behave with honor and eloquence and make everyone proud.
a

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2022, 04:21:03 PM »
I think it’s a lovely idea.

History has clearly proven that if you give lazy, uneducated, illiterate, violent prone “people” free stuff they with step up and behave with honor and eloquence and make everyone proud.

the term one bad apple spoils the box is true

If you have a team of highly skilled efficient workers you dont put some deadbeat with them hoping the deadbeat will up his game.
What happens is the others see the dead beat doing fuck all and drop down to their level

Thats basic psychology

You cant expect people who dont know how to behave to take notice of people setting a good example.
Good people end up going bad.

The default position for humans is chaos, it takes effort to be good

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2022, 09:08:18 PM »
I bought rural property because I want to be left the fuck alone. Just because I won't have complete autonomy doesn't mean I won't have way more than when I rented in a suburban area. I won't be left alone completely but I can do pretty much what I want.

I knew property taxes, eminent domain, building permit requirements, etc, all existed. It was always part of the deal, and it's a deal I freely agreed to. If I wanted to gripe it would be about how the tax money gets spent/wasted, or about the implementation of new rules which weren't part of the deal I agreed to.

If you want autonomy then accept a standard of living where there's nothing left to take from you. Be homeless. If they had brought in fines for being unvaccinated (which was on the horizon), I was going to sign over everything I own to my gf, cancel my bank accounts, never pay the fines, basically be a stone from which no blood could be extracted, and see if I could wait it out or if I'd be obliged to leave the country.

But that's because they were making up new rules. That's what makes it a breach of agreement. If I refuse to pay property taxes then I'm the one trying to change rules which we all previously agreed on.

You knew property taxes existed. You knew they can go up. You knew if you don't pay them then you lose your house. I get that you don't like them but show me where the breach of agreement is. If there isn't one, but you no longer like the agreement, then sell up and make new arrangements. What exactly is the complaint here and what are you willing to do about it? Because I've spent the last two years hearing people gripe and make all sorts of principled claims before I see them capitulate completely because they can't face the slightest austerity or reduction in first world luxury.

I sleep in my truck cab 6 nights a week, eat corned beef straight out of the can, wipe my pits, ass, and cock with wet paper towels because there's no shower, sweep away dust on concrete slabs so I can do calisthenics by headlamp in the evenings, and I'm logging 70+ hours a week doing drywall. I'm hard as a goddamn coffin nail, the only thing missing is a red cape, I'm owning my property before Christmas, and I'm proud as hell about it. So before telling me I 'won't really own it' tell me what discomfort you chose to endure for your principled stand against property taxes. Did you move to a houseboat and moor in international waters? Squatters rights in a derelict building? Me, I'm fine with the agreement I made to pay a couple thousand bucks a year in property taxes.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2022, 01:31:55 AM »
I bought rural property because I want to be left the fuck alone. Just because I won't have complete autonomy doesn't mean I won't have way more than when I rented in a suburban area. I won't be left alone completely but I can do pretty much what I want.

I knew property taxes, eminent domain, building permit requirements, etc, all existed. It was always part of the deal, and it's a deal I freely agreed to. If I wanted to gripe it would be about how the tax money gets spent/wasted, or about the implementation of new rules which weren't part of the deal I agreed to.

If you want autonomy then accept a standard of living where there's nothing left to take from you. Be homeless. If they had brought in fines for being unvaccinated (which was on the horizon), I was going to sign over everything I own to my gf, cancel my bank accounts, never pay the fines, basically be a stone from which no blood could be extracted, and see if I could wait it out or if I'd be obliged to leave the country.

But that's because they were making up new rules. That's what makes it a breach of agreement. If I refuse to pay property taxes then I'm the one trying to change rules which we all previously agreed on.

You knew property taxes existed. You knew they can go up. You knew if you don't pay them then you lose your house. I get that you don't like them but show me where the breach of agreement is. If there isn't one, but you no longer like the agreement, then sell up and make new arrangements. What exactly is the complaint here and what are you willing to do about it? Because I've spent the last two years hearing people gripe and make all sorts of principled claims before I see them capitulate completely because they can't face the slightest austerity or reduction in first world luxury.

I sleep in my truck cab 6 nights a week, eat corned beef straight out of the can, wipe my pits, ass, and cock with wet paper towels because there's no shower, sweep away dust on concrete slabs so I can do calisthenics by headlamp in the evenings, and I'm logging 70+ hours a week doing drywall. I'm hard as a goddamn coffin nail, the only thing missing is a red cape, I'm owning my property before Christmas, and I'm proud as hell about it. So before telling me I 'won't really own it' tell me what discomfort you chose to endure for your principled stand against property taxes. Did you move to a houseboat and moor in international waters? Squatters rights in a derelict building? Me, I'm fine with the agreement I made to pay a couple thousand bucks a year in property taxes.
A Getbigger with a job?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2022, 03:14:53 AM »
A Getbigger with a job?

And, soon, a property.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2022, 01:11:58 PM »
Snip.

Facial recognition in town on everything is coming.

Social media monitoring is coming.

Social score is coming.

It’s good you moved to the country (I did aswell). Significantly more freedom here.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2022, 01:17:01 PM »

Social score is coming.

It’s good you moved to the country (I did aswell). Significantly more freedom here.

Correct!

The USA will become more like China in short time. I think they are slowly setting the stage.

Word to the wise, although I think it's mostly rumor and Wall Street traders being pussies, the rumor is going around about a possible Electromagnetic pulse attack. No one knows for certain if it's going to happen, but it's making the airwaves. I have no concrete proof to suggest it. Literally heard 2 friends (one from JP Morgan and another from Bridgewater) saying that they have heard such rumors, neither of which with any hard proof to substantiate.

"1"

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2022, 01:18:53 PM »

Yeah, i'm over the taxation is theft mentality.

My problem is how much they keep increasing property taxes in certain areas.

When i lived in Houston i was paying more in property taxes per year than my house payment.

Imagine paying $15k a year for the rest of your life and it increases up to $1k per year. That's just straight tax. Then i have to pay water usage/access fees, gas usage/access/meter fees, $65 a month for "trash/recycle service". I'm forced to pay the trash/recycle fee by law, when i can haul it to the transfer station myself for about $3 in gas a month. And it all goes up every year as well, while the services get worse and worse. It's all bullshit to me.

Now living in rural NM i pay $1700 in property taxes per "year" for a house that is more expensive. And the services i get in the rural area where i live far exceed what i've ever seen in a big City. We have our own dump location about 1 mile away and handle it ourselves. Some people complain, but if you do want trash service at your house, they give the "option" to pay for it.

That's my beef with it and why so many people are leaving the big city. I will never live there again.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2022, 01:23:12 PM »
I never understood the idea that after you pay off your mortgage you still have to pay taxes on your property. I always thought that was pretty lame. The government is fucking us all.
Agreed.. property tax is stupid commie shit. You're basically paying to exist on a small spot of dirt that you already initially payed for. wtf... Corruption to the highest degree.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2022, 02:08:54 PM »
Correct!

The USA will become more like China in short time. I think they are slowly setting the stage.

Word to the wise, although I think it's mostly rumor and Wall Street traders being pussies, the rumor is going around about a possible Electromagnetic pulse attack. No one knows for certain if it's going to happen, but it's making the airwaves. I have no concrete proof to suggest it. Literally heard 2 friends (one from JP Morgan and another from Bridgewater) saying that they have heard such rumors, neither of which with any hard proof to substantiate.

"1"

Prison island is about 1.5yrs into development on it for transport. Not a fully working platform just yet but it won’t be far away.

An EMP attack has been rumour for years now. I don’t see why when Chinese and Russian hackers have proven to be successful multiple times and way easier to do from their own country. China has hacked our transport, telco and major banks in the last 2.5yrs. We pissed China off over something and next minute our entire payment platform went down for 2 days. But the key part is in 2 days we fixed it and hasn’t happened since.

Agreed.. property tax is stupid commie shit. You're basically paying to exist on a small spot of dirt that you already initially payed for. wtf... Corruption to the highest degree.

We pay stamp duty here which is roughly 3.4% of property price at time of purchase. Median price is US850k I think which is US29k. If you move again, you pay 3.4% on the next purchase. It might sound ok but because you generally move it becomes crazy expensive. In a 5yr period we had 4 properties and have paid around US120k in stamp duty. Land is cheaper and we owned 2 blocks so it ended up being not too bad. The property we just built now would be around US95k in stamp duty at time of purchase.

It’s a lot of money upfront but it’s more palatable if you can live many years in that property. Our old people don’t lose their home due to taxes and so forth which is good.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2022, 02:10:37 PM »
If they had brought in fines for being unvaccinated (which was on the horizon), I was going to sign over everything I own to my gf, cancel my bank accounts, never pay the fines, basically be a stone from which no blood could be extracted, and see if I could wait it out or if I'd be obliged to leave the country.

If this happened, there would likely be less dramatic ways to avoid the vaccination. Not sure where you live, so I can't know this for sure. In the U.S. there are many ways in which people avoid required vaccinations that are not so drastic. For example, become or pretend to be a Christian Scientist.

https://www.christianscience.com/press-room/a-christian-science-perspective-on-vaccination-and-public-health

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2022, 04:23:40 PM »
If this happened, there would likely be less dramatic ways to avoid the vaccination. Not sure where you live, so I can't know this for sure. In the U.S. there are many ways in which people avoid required vaccinations that are not so drastic. For example, become or pretend to be a Christian Scientist.

https://www.christianscience.com/press-room/a-christian-science-perspective-on-vaccination-and-public-health

In the context of the thread, I wanted to say there are terms of contract (home ownership) which were always in place, and I see that as distinct from 'new rules' which constitute a breach of contract.

Plenty of people in Australia were ordered to quarantine camps under penalty of fine. Some were just taken there, without option (by soldiers, no less). Fines for nonvaccination, as in Austria, were reasonably foreseeable so it seemed worthwhile having a plan in place. I wasn't going to a government camp, which is a good rule of thumb generally imo, and I wasn't going to legitimize the issuance of New Rules fines by paying them. Seizure of property typically follows nonpayment of fines.

I'm not a Christian Scientist and I don't have to tell lies to make my way in the world. Some do. I enjoy not having to. Evidence: I quit working for builders after construction industry vaccine mandates made it illegal for me to be on a building site, even if alone. I concentrated on renovation and addition contracts, which wasn't under mandate, and I'm making the best money of my life. Basically, I refused their mandates and got a big raise. Feels good.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2022, 04:55:16 PM »

Social score is coming.

Well, whatever. You'll never find me at a protest. It's not my right as a foreigner. If Aus becomes somewhere I don't like living then I just won't live here anymore.

I would have joined up to defend the place once, like against China, if necessary. Won't be doing that now tho.

No protest. No assistance.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2022, 05:00:41 PM »
Yeah, i'm over the taxation is theft mentality.

My problem is how much they keep increasing property taxes in certain areas.

When i lived in Houston i was paying more in property taxes per year than my house payment.

Imagine paying $15k a year for the rest of your life and it increases up to $1k per year. That's just straight tax. Then i have to pay water usage/access fees, gas usage/access/meter fees, $65 a month for "trash/recycle service". I'm forced to pay the trash/recycle fee by law, when i can haul it to the transfer station myself for about $3 in gas a month. And it all goes up every year as well, while the services get worse and worse. It's all bullshit to me.

Now living in rural NM i pay $1700 in property taxes per "year" for a house that is more expensive. And the services i get in the rural area where i live far exceed what i've ever seen in a big City. We have our own dump location about 1 mile away and handle it ourselves. Some people complain, but if you do want trash service at your house, they give the "option" to pay for it.

That's my beef with it and why so many people are leaving the big city. I will never live there again.

Fuck that. No wonder you got out of there.

Honestly, I just hate having neighbors. I don't want some dude right next door to me, people all around. "Mornin', Billy." Every fucking day. Hell no.

I like going outside with my coffee, piss in the garden, rip a fart sounds like a barge coming through, etc. Not one moment of consideration wasted for Susie Homemaker next door with her genteel sensibilities.

Difference between a good neighbor and a bad one is about 3 football fields.

I did some painting for an Indian guy here who said he grew up in Houston. (Best looking family I've ever seen. Dude, wife, 3 kids  all models. I'm a strong 5, in lean shape, and I felt like Uncle Fester around these people.) Sold his newly painted place here  moved everyone to Houston, called me a year later to do some more work. Said he came back to Aus because Houston had turned into a damn slum, everyone hated it and felt unsafe. That was before BLM too.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2022, 05:22:56 PM »
Fuck that. No wonder you got out of there.

Honestly, I just hate having neighbors. I don't want some dude right next door to me, people all around. "Mornin', Billy." Every fucking day. Hell no.

I like going outside with my coffee, piss in the garden, rip a fart sounds like a barge coming through, etc. Not one moment of consideration wasted for Susie Homemaker next door with her genteel sensibilities.

Difference between a good neighbor and a bad one is about 3 football fields.

I generally dislike people, not everyone, but like 90% of them.

I grew up on a farm and i always felt weird living in a subdivision with people 15 feet away from me. My last house in Houston my neighbor was a nice guy but bothered the shit out of me all the time. Would just pop his head over the fence and talk to me. Or walk into my garage when i was in there working on something.

Now i live on a few acres and my nearest neighbor is about 75 yards away, and there is a nice line of trees along the entire perimeter of my property. I can walk around naked if i want to. They say if you can't piss off your porch without being seen, your neighbors are too close. ;D

I'll never move back to a major city. Life in the country is great and i don't mind a commute.

I'm saving over $25k a year just by living in an unincorporated area and i love it. Low taxes, water/gas is cheap, have a septic system and i don't pay for HOA or anything else.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2022, 05:46:04 PM »

I grew up on a farm and i always felt weird living in a subdivision with people 15 feet away from me. My last house in Houston my neighbor was a nice guy but bothered the shit out of me all the time. Would just pop his head over the fence and talk to me. Or walk into my garage when i was in there working on something.

Now i live on a few acres and my nearest neighbor is about 75 yards away, and there is a nice line of trees along the entire perimeter of my property. I can walk around naked if i want to. They say if you can't piss off your porch without being seen, your neighbors are too close. ;D

I'll never move back to a major city. Life in the country is great and i don't mind a commute.

I'm saving over $25k a year just by living in an unincorporated area and i love it. Low taxes, water/gas is cheap, have a septic system and i don't pay for HOA or anything else.

Yes, yes, & yes.

If I had to gripe, I've got retired bored old men on neighboring properties and they'll "pop over for a chat" when they hear me out on the quad, but it's only a few times a year. Like you, I'm sociable enough when it's social time, but hate being interrupted when I'm in the middle of shit. I don't need any of that Tim Allen/Wilson jazz.

I had a nightmare neighbor when I was in suburbia. I had to send her a letter from a lawyer. Cured me for good. Others reported she was a nuisance as well, so it wasn't just me that was the issue.

Got plenty of crazy of my own, to be sure, and look forward to indulging it with the space I've got. Can't beat room to be a nut.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2022, 01:50:25 AM »

I agree with all of this. Will never live in a city again.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2022, 03:20:29 AM »

when you writre "like" when it isnt required it doesnt make your point properly, that reads that you like 90% of people

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2022, 03:25:22 AM »
the term one bad apple spoils the box is true

If you have a team of highly skilled efficient workers you dont put some deadbeat with them hoping the deadbeat will up his game.
What happens is the others see the dead beat doing fuck all and drop down to their level

Thats basic psychology

You cant expect people who dont know how to behave to take notice of people setting a good example.
Good people end up going bad.

The default position for humans is chaos, it takes effort to be good

Correct

What do you get when you add 1 gallon of dirty water to 99 gallons of clean water….

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2022, 03:27:08 AM »

Social score is coming.

Climate lockdowns are coming

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2022, 04:29:34 AM »
In the context of the thread, I wanted to say there are terms of contract (home ownership) which were always in place, and I see that as distinct from 'new rules' which constitute a breach of contract.

Plenty of people in Australia were ordered to quarantine camps under penalty of fine. Some were just taken there, without option (by soldiers, no less). Fines for nonvaccination, as in Austria, were reasonably foreseeable so it seemed worthwhile having a plan in place. I wasn't going to a government camp, which is a good rule of thumb generally imo, and I wasn't going to legitimize the issuance of New Rules fines by paying them. Seizure of property typically follows nonpayment of fines.

I'm not a Christian Scientist and I don't have to tell lies to make my way in the world. Some do. I enjoy not having to. Evidence: I quit working for builders after construction industry vaccine mandates made it illegal for me to be on a building site, even if alone. I concentrated on renovation and addition contracts, which wasn't under mandate, and I'm making the best money of my life. Basically, I refused their mandates and got a big raise. Feels good.
Way to go Tape.....good on you my friend.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2022, 02:26:45 PM »

My stepdad was self-employed as a painting contractor. The opportunity to make better money was a strong motivator over working for other contractors which he only did for a short while prior to working for himself. He never went back to working for someone else, aside from working for his customers, and he could be selective about who he'd accept as a customer. When someone was a pain in the ass to work for, he'd would finish the job and then turn down their requests for future bids. 

Some people in Oregon complained bitterly over the Governor's mandates. Compared to Australia they were nothing. There has never been a mandate in Oregon requiring the general population get the COVID vaccines. The governor did mandate vaccines for government employees, but exceptions were allowed. There are no quarantine camps here. People who got COVID were advised to quarantine for a given period.

Masks were mandated in some situations. Enforcement of those mandates was spotty at best. What I've noticed is that a lot of folks here continue to wear masks in public. I think this is because it is a personal choice and not a mandate. People tend to resist being told they must do something. Recommendations are better received than mandates.     

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2022, 01:20:07 AM »
Climate lockdowns are coming
It will be even easier to lock us down when we all have electric cars.