Author Topic: You will own nothing and be happy - Careful with your homes  (Read 4670 times)

Mayday

• Getbig IV
Re: You will own nothing and be happy - Careful with your homes
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2022, 03:40:51 AM »
It will be even easier to lock us down when we all have electric cars.

True.

You seen what happens to Tesla owners when the batteries pack it in? The car is 100% locked down unless they take it back to Tesla.

Now add in a social score system as your mechanism for locking you down…… some here are gunna think twice before saying not nice things to Primemuscle if it means they can’t travel anywhere for a month.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2022, 03:49:28 AM »
Way to go Tape.....good on you my friend.

Thanks, Wes. I'm salty as hell and ready for round 2. There's no stopping this express train to Libertyville!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2022, 04:11:01 AM »
My stepdad was self-employed as a painting contractor. The opportunity to make better money was a strong motivator over working for other contractors which he only did for a short while prior to working for himself. He never went back to working for someone else, aside from working for his customers, and he could be selective about who he'd accept as a customer. When someone was a pain in the ass to work for, he'd would finish the job and then turn down their requests for future bids. 

Some people in Oregon complained bitterly over the Governor's mandates. Compared to Australia they were nothing. There has never been a mandate in Oregon requiring the general population get the COVID vaccines. The governor did mandate vaccines for government employees, but exceptions were allowed. There are no quarantine camps here. People who got COVID were advised to quarantine for a given period.

Masks were mandated in some situations. Enforcement of those mandates was spotty at best. What I've noticed is that a lot of folks here continue to wear masks in public. I think this is because it is a personal choice and not a mandate. People tend to resist being told they must do something. Recommendations are better received than mandates.   

When someone tells you to do as they say or else they'll hurt you, the correct and healthy response is resistance. We're supposed to question authority. Keep the bastards honest. People who don't have a problem with authority are the problem with humanity. See footnote: Human history.

I'm the only one I know who did better financially after not complying. I keep that pretty quiet irl. A lot of people had a real rough time here.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2022, 04:39:04 AM »
Thanks, Wes. I'm salty as hell and ready for round 2. There's no stopping this express train to Libertyville!
Go for it my old friend.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2022, 08:25:39 AM »
True.

You seen what happens to Tesla owners when the batteries pack it in? The car is 100% locked down unless they take it back to Tesla.

Now add in a social score system as your mechanism for locking you down…… some here are gunna think twice before saying not nice things to Primemuscle if it means they can’t travel anywhere for a month.
not only that, its easy to cut of the electric to an area, and if you have a Smart meter they can restrict or shut down your home at the flick of a switch

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2022, 08:37:42 AM »

also why electric companies across the us have and continue to install "smart meters" that can be read and turned off remotely without sending a tech

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2022, 12:31:28 PM »
When someone tells you to do as they say or else they'll hurt you, the correct and healthy response is resistance. We're supposed to question authority. Keep the bastards honest. People who don't have a problem with authority are the problem with humanity. See footnote: Human history.

100%.

Think for yourself, question authority.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2022, 01:17:55 PM »
In the context of the thread, I wanted to say there are terms of contract (home ownership) which were always in place, and I see that as distinct from 'new rules' which constitute a breach of contract.

Plenty of people in Australia were ordered to quarantine camps under penalty of fine. Some were just taken there, without option (by soldiers, no less). Fines for nonvaccination, as in Austria, were reasonably foreseeable so it seemed worthwhile having a plan in place. I wasn't going to a government camp, which is a good rule of thumb generally imo, and I wasn't going to legitimize the issuance of New Rules fines by paying them. Seizure of property typically follows nonpayment of fines.

I'm not a Christian Scientist and I don't have to tell lies to make my way in the world. Some do. I enjoy not having to. Evidence: I quit working for builders after construction industry vaccine mandates made it illegal for me to be on a building site, even if alone. I concentrated on renovation and addition contracts, which wasn't under mandate, and I'm making the best money of my life. Basically, I refused their mandates and got a big raise. Feels good.

Great to hear mate. Fuck site work private so much better

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2022, 04:31:50 PM »
Great to hear mate. Fuck site work private so much better

Cheers, bro. Hope things are going ok over there. I'm hearing wild stories from Brits about price spikes. One guy told me his brother's cabinetry shop electricity went from 2000/month to 12,000 per month. And that was that. Guy is out of business.

Fwiw I reckon a 'double barrel stove' is the best quick & cheap option for wood heating if you can collect firewood. Hillbilly as fuck but it'll put out heat.

I had a Christmas in Sunderland with my ex's family. Cold walk to the pub.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2022, 04:54:01 PM »

How so?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2022, 05:16:21 PM »
How so?

Turn off your power and your stuck.

No gas car with a full tank and spare gas cans to get you somewhere else.

Chubz

• Getbig III
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2022, 05:49:28 PM »

Round 2 is coming like a freight train and the majority are absolutely clueless. Good on you and your property, I highly recommend a wood stove and plenty of wood for this winter. I was one of Pfizers lead Sr. Refrigeration mechanics and knew in late 2019 we were going to be making a vaccine, things didn't come together until about March of 2020 and I absolutely knew this was BS and planned, I left very soon after I became awake, I had been there for 20 years and was making some good money, but with my trade and knowledge Ive ended up way better off, plus I am out from that corporate indoctrination. This is all 100% about Digital ID/Passports/Digital currency/ digital proof of vaccination, I will not comply. If ever there was a time in human history for people to say NO, well its too late for the ones that took this jab. I could never live with myself being so fucking weak to take something into my body for a stupid job.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2022, 06:01:26 PM »
Turn off your power and your stuck.

No gas car with a full tank and spare gas cans to get you somewhere else.

By the time everyone is driving electric cars most folks will be able to generate some electricity off the grid. Half the houses in my neighborhood have added solar panels. In addition, battery operated generators are already available. As they become more powerful, folks will charge these up to store electricity that they can use after dark when solar panels don't work.

Does this all seem like impossible science fiction? It wasn't that long ago; personal cell phones did not exist. I remember using 'walkie talkies' and pagers at work. 

Handheld mobile phone 1983

Next came flip phones 1996 - we thought they were pretty snazzy. 

The iPhone 1 came out in 2007

Soon to follow in 2008 was the first android smart phone.

More and more people were already working from home prior to the pandemic. Now, I think we are seeing a little backlash from this with companies requiring employees to work at least part of their time in the 'office'. Office space is expensive and not as necessary as it once was. In the very near future jobs which can be done remotely will become the norm rather than the exception. Currently, a person can pretty much never leave home and still get everything they need. Groceries and other commodities. Currently virtual doctor appointments are becoming more and more common. Many young people are already being educated from home via online schools and home schooling.

Anyway, my point is the world continues to change much more rapidly than we think it is. Concerns about electric vehicles is probably a waste of time and energy because it’s going to happen whether we like it or not.

I chair a board of directors. We meet monthly, I have maybe run two three meetings in person. All the rest have been via Zoom. A couple of the Board members prefer to show up in person, and that's fine. But, body language and other nuisances of communications are just as good, if not better via Zoom. Being hearing impaired, I prefer Zoom meetings because I miss less of what is being talked about because I am wearing headphones. Another advantage is folks don't 'talk over' others as much... you rarely get several people talking at once and there are very few side discussions.   

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2022, 11:41:02 PM »
By the time everyone is driving electric cars most folks will be able to generate some electricity off the grid. Half the houses in my neighborhood have added solar panels. In addition, battery operated generators are already available. As they become more powerful, folks will charge these up to store electricity that they can use after dark when solar panels don't work.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2022, 07:53:02 AM »

Does this all seem like impossible science fiction? It wasn't that long ago; personal cell phones did not exist. I remember using 'walkie talkies' and pagers at work. 

Handheld mobile phone 1983

Next came flip phones 1996 - we thought they were pretty snazzy. 

The iPhone 1 came out in 2007

Soon to follow in 2008 was the first android smart phone.

More and more people were already working from home prior to the pandemic. Now, I think we are seeing a little backlash from this with companies requiring employees to work at least part of their time in the 'office'. Office space is expensive and not as necessary as it once was. In the very near future jobs which can be done remotely will become the norm rather than the exception. Currently, a person can pretty much never leave home and still get everything they need. Groceries and other commodities. Currently virtual doctor appointments are becoming more and more common. Many young people are already being educated from home via online schools and home schooling.

Anyway, my point is the world continues to change much more rapidly than we think it is. Concerns about electric vehicles is probably a waste of time and energy because it’s going to happen whether we like it or not.

I chair a board of directors. We meet monthly, I have maybe run two three meetings in person. All the rest have been via Zoom. A couple of the Board members prefer to show up in person, and that's fine. But, body language and other nuisances of communications are just as good, if not better via Zoom. Being hearing impaired, I prefer Zoom meetings because I miss less of what is being talked about because I am wearing headphones. Another advantage is folks don't 'talk over' others as much... you rarely get several people talking at once and there are very few side discussions.   

they dont work if the mains power is cut off, they are powered by the grid

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2022, 03:31:29 PM »
I'm no fan of the oil companies. As I stood there paying $2.30/l when I used to pay $1.15/l, I realized I'd pay $10/l, or $50/l
 I  will pay anything they say. They own me. I don't like that.

So electric competition is fine by me. More competition is better. I won't be rushing out to buy one myself, and I'm not down with any gov requirements. If the technology is good, it'll sell itself.

Deja vu. Proponents won't hear a word against it and any criticism means you're a maga foilhatter. Opponents say it'll lead to tyranny. ('They' can turn off your car right now unless you drive a non-computer dinosaur.) Claims of absolute certainty all around. It's ok to be agnostic.

If you're against electric, chill. The oil companies aren't going anywhere and governments can't legislate market forces.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2022, 04:03:24 PM »
It's not just Big Brother turning off your juice.

What if a natural disaster strikes suddenly (earthquake) and shuts off the electric grid?

Your solar panels need electric from the grid to work and just about everyones are net metered which means they do not work independent of the grid.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2022, 04:42:11 PM »
they dont work if the mains power is cut off, they are powered by the grid

Really?

How to Use Solar Panels During a Power Outage
Locate the switch to disconnect your system from the grid. ...
Locate the solar power breakers in or near the main breaker box, and flip it to the on position.
It may take time for your inverter to be fully charged and ready.
Your system will then be operational.

https://www.currenthome.com/blog/how-to-use-solar-panels-during-a-power-outage/

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2022, 04:42:46 PM »
It's not just Big Brother turning off your juice.

What if a natural disaster strikes suddenly (earthquake) and shuts off the electric grid?

Your solar panels need electric from the grid to work and just about everyones are net metered which means they do not work independent of the grid.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2022, 04:51:08 PM »
Really?

How to Use Solar Panels During a Power Outage
Locate the switch to disconnect your system from the grid. ...
Locate the solar power breakers in or near the main breaker box, and flip it to the on position.
It may take time for your inverter to be fully charged and ready.
Your system will then be operational.

Once you have a backup battery system in place, you will be able to use solar panels during a power outage.

Does this mean you need a battery backup in an outage?

Few people have battery backup.  It's quite expensive.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2022, 06:18:52 PM »
Once you have a backup battery system in place, you will be able to use solar panels during a power outage.

Does this mean you need a battery backup in an outage?

Few people have battery backup.  It's quite expensive.

So, I've heard. As more and more people buy them, they will probably go down in price. Currently, they start at around $11K installed. The initial set up is expensive. It will take most of us a very long time to use enough electricity from our power company to make this seem worthwhile.

Reminds me of when I had a new water heater installed because the old one was nearing the projected end of its life. I swapped out the traditional gas tank-style to a gas fired on demand unit. Can't remember the total cost to do this but it was probably 2 to 3 times that of a traditional water heater. If it saves anything off the gas utility bill, I've not noticed it. Since it never runs out of hot water, I imagine we are given to taking longer showers, which negates any possible savings. One immediate improvement was that it freed up some space in the utility room. LOL.

Change will happen whether we like it or not. There will be those who will hang on to what is familiar and believe is superior to anything ‘newfangled’. A friend of mine has old cars from the 60’s through the 70’s. He had 5 of them the last time I checked. His favorites are his mid-70s Chrysler Imperials, both of which suck up a lot of fuel. He’s a wizard at auto mechanics, so the maintenance doesn’t cost him what it would cost other folks… if he can continue to find parts for these antique dinosaurs.

He rebuilt an ‘83 diesel Peugeot 505-STI that some friends of his let overheat, wrecking the engine. It was his first time working on a diesel. I fronted the cost for parts in exchange for the car. He didn’t want it. He just wanted to have the experience of rebuilding a diesel. It was probably the most comfortable car I've ever had, but Peugeot stopped importing to the U.S. so the cost of parts went through the roof...  when you could get them. I traded it in for a VW Jetta in ’94 which was nowhere near as luxurious as the Peugeot, but it came with a new car warranty and when that ran out, parts and maintenance were affordable.