Author Topic: Help me remember the name of a space movie / show  (Read 1483 times)

obsidian

• Getbig V
Help me remember the name of a space movie / show
« on: November 06, 2022, 04:09:34 PM »
Years ago, maybe 90s, I recall watching a sci-fi movie or show where a friendly alien is stranded on Earth. If I recall correctly his alien buddies arrive to take him back. One of the earthlings is really eager to go with them, I think he was a scientist. So the aliens said sure you can tag along. As the spaceship takes off he talks to the aliens for a bit and then they tell him ok we're going for a nap, see ya. They enter hibernation chambers and he is left standing there looking out the window at the disappearing earth only to then realize his horrible mistake. He starts screaming but nobody is there to hear him. The aliens are already asleep and he is now stranded on the ship with god knows what waiting for him.

Does anyone recall this? Was it a Star Trek episode? Or something else? It must have been some obscure TV show.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
Re: Help me remember the name of a space movie / show
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 04:16:30 PM »
Stay away from drugs bro..

Not a Star Trek episode though. Sounds more like an episode of The Outer Limits

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 04:18:24 PM »

Yup!

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 04:24:55 PM »
It's not just a tattoo - It's a cookbook!

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 04:38:59 PM »

Bro!

It was the ending scene of a show or movie. I did a search online but can't find it. Probably never will...

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 05:05:33 PM »
Bro!

It was the ending scene of a show or movie. I did a search online but can't find it. Probably never will...

Try ask on here

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 05:24:59 PM »
Yep, definitely look up sci-fi forums and do some asking

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 06:39:20 PM »
In the mid to late 80's there was a twilight zone reboot.

I remember one of the episodes was of a woman who found she could stop time. She could halt everything.  Every movement would stop, people would freeze in place, except her- she could walk about freely. So after a few comedic situations: long line at bank, grocery store etc.... the episode ends with the family watching TV and theres breaking news of a nuclear war and russia has attacked the u.s. She freezrs time to walk outside and theres a nuclear warhead about 30 feet above the ground suspended in mid-air and people are frozen still in mid panic. Episode ends.

One of the more famous episodes was of a ww2 pilot whose landing gear is damaged but he's able to draw huge tires on a sketch book and the cartoon tires manifest and the pilot lands safely.

HBO had a short runned sci-fi series too around the same time.  Similar oddball stories. I remember one where a rich widowed woman hires a swarthy stranger to work around her house (which looks like  a drug dealers modern home out of miami vice) and he turns out to be satan. It was very 80's chic,  minimalist style.

I imagine the story you saw was on one of these shows.

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 07:36:02 PM »
In the mid to late 80's there was a twilight zone reboot.

I remember one of the episodes was of a woman who found she could stop time. She could halt everything.  Every movement would stop, people would freeze in place, except her- she could walk about freely. So after a few comedic situations: long line at bank, grocery store etc.... the episode ends with the family watching TV and theres breaking news of a nuclear war and russia has attacked the u.s. She freezrs time to walk outside and theres a nuclear warhead about 30 feet above the ground suspended in mid-air and people are frozen still in mid panic. Episode ends.

One of the more famous episodes was of a ww2 pilot whose landing gear is damaged but he's able to draw huge tires on a sketch book and the cartoon tires manifest and the pilot lands safely.

HBO had a short runned sci-fi series too around the same time.  Similar oddball stories. I remember one where a rich widowed woman hires a swarthy stranger to work around her house (which looks like  a drug dealers modern home out of miami vice) and he turns out to be satan. It was very 80's chic,  minimalist style.

I imagine the story you saw was on one of these shows.

That was Stephen Spielberg: Amazing Stories: The Mission (Pilot drawing cartoonish wheels)

Cook

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 03:10:27 AM »
That was Stephen Spielberg: Amazing Stories: The Mission (Pilot drawing cartoonish wheels)
I saw that.It was great.There was a guy trapped in the machine gun turret under the airplane so if they had to make a belly landing he gets turned to mush.So he makes his drawing and concentrates real hard and the cartoon wheels come down and they land safely.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2022, 04:19:13 AM »
It's not just a tattoo - It's a cookbook!

looks like the guy from chiller theatre opening.
F

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2022, 06:57:15 AM »

Yep. It annoyed me. Even as a kid, I was a grouch. An amazing story should be improbable but constrained to the remotely possible. When those cartoon wheels popped out I was like why not just wish the runway turns into a gigantic pillow and the plane grows giant feathered wings that magically flap, because that's no more implausible. It was a record scratch moment when it ceased to be an 'amazing story' and became 'no tension in this storyline was worth anything because we just make up anything we want, whenever we want, to magically solve shit.'

I liked the beginning of the Twilight Zone movie where Brooks and Ackroyd reminisce about watching old Twilight Zone episodes.

I liked that scene in that space movie where George Peppard is playing harmonica as his doomed ship crashes. I saw it again years later as an adult and it was dreadful, but as a little kid it really got me.

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 08:02:06 AM »
Yep. It annoyed me. Even as a kid, I was a grouch. An amazing story should be improbable but constrained to the remotely possible. When those cartoon wheels popped out I was like why not just wish the runway turns into a gigantic pillow and the plane grows giant feathered wings that magically flap, because that's no more implausible. It was a record scratch moment when it ceased to be an 'amazing story' and became 'no tension in this storyline was worth anything because we just make up anything we want, whenever we want, to magically solve shit.'

I liked the beginning of the Twilight Zone movie where Brooks and Ackroyd reminisce about watching old Twilight Zone episodes.

I liked that scene in that space movie where George Peppard is playing harmonica as his doomed ship crashes. I saw it again years later as an adult and it was dreadful, but as a little kid it really got me.

My favorite episode was Ghost Train where the family that built the house over the old railroad tracks where a train crash had occurred 75 years earlier and killed a bunch of people

Fast forward to 22:40
[/youtube]

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2022, 08:25:42 AM »
Oh yeah. I remember seeing that one. Spielberg hit it out of the park when he collaborated with Lucas and they did Indy. One of the best of all time. Shame about the sequels. All on his own tho, ET etc, he gets a bit saccharine for me.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 05:29:37 PM »
Yup! That's right : Amazing Stories.  Brings back great 80's memories....

Anyone remember the hbo series i mentioned? Maybe strange tales or something similar?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2022, 05:56:59 PM »
Was it Implausible Histories?

Unlikely Anecdotes?

Moralistic Fictions?

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2022, 06:38:05 PM »
My favorite episode was Ghost Train where the family that built the house over the old railroad tracks where a train crash had occurred 75 years earlier and killed a bunch of people

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2022, 02:10:22 AM »
Galactica 1980?