Author Topic: Getbig Luxury Watch Thread - what do you got?  (Read 6057 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: Getbig Luxury Watch Thread - what do you got?
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2023, 06:53:54 AM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=521513.msg7376618#msg7376618

I prefer Cartier.  Rolex and Cartier hold their values a good bit.  The only exception would be the Cartier Pasha which was discontinued. 

Now days, I just wear my Apple Watch if I were one at all.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
Re: Do we have a getbig luxury watch thread?
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2023, 07:11:42 AM »
nothing screams room temp IQ as a watch lover who thinks they’re part of the elite members of society. Yes, the sacred and heroic watch lovers. We are all so proud of you and your incredible sundials.

Truly, luxury watches are absolutely the biggest piles of garbage available to purchase. Absolutely worthless as an investment. Most lose up to 50% value per year and you won’t break even after 10 long miserable years. It’s akin to a car losing value after you drive off the lot. But your fancy little sundial will actually depreciate and lose MORE value than a car the first year. And then if you don’t perform the stupid maintenance in a certain way, the pile of junk will also lose more value as a result. Imagine having to plan your life around when to maintain your stupid wrist sundial.

You become a walking billboard for getting robbed. Numerous stories of people being shot and having their hands chopped off in home invasions where the robbers were after the home owners luxury watch. Numerous jewelers have been brutally killed when the robbers stole the luxury watches. Numerous stories of people being assaulted and beaten into a coma because the assailants were after the luxury watch. Luxury watch wearers are seen as outsiders and lepers in society. Average people can’t relate to them and don’t want to relate to them. Average joe doesn’t even notice a luxury watch. So keep walking around with a huge Rolex. You’re the only person that knows it exists. Luxury watch manufacturers are laughing at all the suckers. The majority of luxury watches being sold are made from such recycled garbage that it’s laughable about how much the pricing is jacked up to take advantage of watch lovers.

You are truly an idiot.

dknole

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2023, 10:13:39 AM »
Thank you and robcguns for the replies.

Appreciate the background too!

Cartier often gets written off as a fashion brand for selling jewelry, perfumes, leather goods etc., but the Cartier 'Santos-Dumont' was the first functional pilot's watch in History ( 1904).

Louis Cartier decided to make a wristwatch for his buddy, aviation pioneer Alberto-Louis Santos Dumont, when the latter complained about the pain in the ass of checking his pocket watch while flying ( he constantly needed to keep his hands on the aircraft's controls.)

As a world celebrity, Santos played a pivotal role in popularizing the wristwatch as a man’s watch. Before that, wristwatches were exclusively worn by women ; their dresses did not include pockets, so obviously, pocket watches were not an option and were traditionally considered men's items anyway.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2023, 10:16:37 AM »
nothing screams room temp IQ as a watch lover who thinks they’re part of the elite members of society. Yes, the sacred and heroic watch lovers. We are all so proud of you and your incredible sundials.

Truly, luxury watches are absolutely the biggest piles of garbage available to purchase. Absolutely worthless as an investment. Most lose up to 50% value per year and you won’t break even after 10 long miserable years. It’s akin to a car losing value after you drive off the lot. But your fancy little sundial will actually depreciate and lose MORE value than a car the first year. And then if you don’t perform the stupid maintenance in a certain way, the pile of junk will also lose more value as a result. Imagine having to plan your life around when to maintain your stupid wrist sundial.

You become a walking billboard for getting robbed. Numerous stories of people being shot and having their hands chopped off in home invasions where the robbers were after the home owners luxury watch. Numerous jewelers have been brutally killed when the robbers stole the luxury watches. Numerous stories of people being assaulted and beaten into a coma because the assailants were after the luxury watch. Luxury watch wearers are seen as outsiders and lepers in society. Average people can’t relate to them and don’t want to relate to them. Average joe doesn’t even notice a luxury watch. So keep walking around with a huge Rolex. You’re the only person that knows it exists. Luxury watch manufacturers are laughing at all the suckers. The majority of luxury watches being sold are made from such recycled garbage that it’s laughable about how much the pricing is jacked up to take advantage of watch lovers.

girls and sons

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2023, 05:17:02 AM »
My first really nice watch was a Rolex GMT Master 2. I think I paid 3,750 in 2001 maybe? They charge 10,900 for one now. I have also had a real Omega, Tudor, Hamilton and a Tag. I have had knockoffs of Panerai, Breitling, Audemas Piguet and others.  Honestly I like my current Green Seiko Automatic just as much as any of them and it only cost me 600 bucks. I also have an antique Tudor I wear for special occasions.

unreasonablereasons

• Getbig III
  • Im King of the Slobs
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2023, 05:24:04 AM »
You are truly an idiot.

I actually completely agree with him
except the investment part, I dont know jack about that part

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2023, 05:46:14 AM »

Where I live gangs send attractive girls into upmarket bars to find someone flashing an expensive watch. Door and bar staff are in on it too sometimes. They get robbed on their way home.

One poor sap lost his life over a 100k watch that was actually just a replica

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2023, 05:53:35 AM »
Where I live gangs send attractive girls into upmarket bars to find someone flashing an expensive watch. Door and bar staff are in on it too sometimes. They get robbed on their way home.

One poor sap lost his life over a 100k watch that was actually just a replica

Maybe move on up to the East side?

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2023, 05:54:33 AM »

I don't disagree with him either. Watches and luxury brands in general are a huge scam to me and I even spent several summers working in a department selling them.

I will add though that watch people were probably some of the nicest and least pretentious wealthy people I spoke to at that job.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2023, 06:14:40 AM »

That why I do it honestly. I enjoy Rolex watches and it’s the one watch you will not lose money on. So I either buy a watch and wear it until it does nothing for me then sell it. Or I just buy them and flip them to make cash. I don’t use it as a watch, I don’t need it to tell time, I don’t show them off, I just enjoy them and the mechanics behind them and they are the best looking watch in my eyes. You can’t lose with Rolex or patek but Patel is a whole other level and you need huge money to play in that ball park and harder to get rid of cause of the amounts of money they are. But he just sounds like a miserable asshole on all his comments and he doesn’t understand what we are even talking about.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2023, 06:15:54 AM »
I don't disagree with him either. Watches and luxury brands in general are a huge scam to me and I even spent several summers working in a department selling them.

I will add though that watch people were probably some of the nicest and least pretentious wealthy people I spoke to at that job.

There’s no scam when you can by a Rolex and wear it for a year and sell it and make money. If you don’t n in ow the Rolex market I understand but Rolex is unlike any watch brand and really unlike any brand of anything in the world.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2023, 06:16:39 AM »

unreasonablereasons

• Getbig III
  • Im King of the Slobs
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2023, 06:18:11 AM »
That why I do it honestly. I enjoy Rolex watches and it’s the one watch you will not lose money on. So I either buy a watch and wear it until it does nothing for me then sell it. Or I just buy them and flip them to make cash. I don’t use it as a watch, I don’t need it to tell time, I don’t show them off, I just enjoy them and the mechanics behind them and they are the best looking watch in my eyes. You can’t lose with Rolex or patek but Patel is a whole other level and you need huge money to play in that ball park and harder to get rid of cause of the amounts of money they are. But he just sounds like a miserable asshole on all his comments and he doesn’t understand what we are even talking about.

also no one is going to roll you for your watch

unreasonablereasons

• Getbig III
  • Im King of the Slobs
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2023, 06:19:50 AM »
I dont know diddly about watches but I genuinely enjoy watching Producer Michael videos especially when he interviews that Jacob character

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2023, 06:30:55 AM »
I dont know diddly about watches but I genuinely enjoy watching Producer Michael videos especially when he interviews that Jacob character

These guys play on a crazy level with those watches.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2023, 07:09:36 AM »
The platinum Daytona is also bad ass

https://www.tourneau.com/watches/rolex/cosmograph-daytona-m126506z0001.html

The two tone is somewhat more reasonably priced

https://www.tourneau.com/watches/rolex/cosmograph-daytona-m126503z0003.html

But yeah I like my 600 dollar Seiko

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2023, 07:15:45 AM »
These Panerai are really nice if you want a large quality watch but not cheap. I had a high quality knockoff at one time. China town had all the good watches cheap like 40-60 bucks for every luxury knockoff watch you could imagine.

https://www.panerai.com/us/en/collections/watch-collection/luminor/pam01299-luminor-regatta-chrono-flyback.html?undefined=undefined

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2023, 08:12:12 AM »
The platinum Daytona is also bad ass

https://www.tourneau.com/watches/rolex/cosmograph-daytona-m126506z0001.html

The two tone is somewhat more reasonably priced

https://www.tourneau.com/watches/rolex/cosmograph-daytona-m126503z0003.html

But yeah I like my 600 dollar Seiko

I b on that a platinum Daytona years ago when retail was 45k I believe. I bought it for 35k off a degen gambler and wore it for a short bit and flipped it for 50k. That was the most beautiful watch I ever had on my wrist. So heavy and bad ass colors. Not long ago they were routinely selling for 150k allday.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2023, 08:31:25 AM »
I b on that a platinum Daytona years ago when retail was 45k I believe. I bought it for 35k off a degen gambler and wore it for a short bit and flipped it for 50k. That was the most beautiful watch I ever had on my wrist. So heavy and bad ass colors. Not long ago they were routinely selling for 150k allday.

Yeah I really like it but can't spend that kind of loot on a watch. But the platinum is badass. Maybe for my 50th birthday I will get a two tone gmt master 2 I liked that watch but mine was stainless. 16k still seems a little wasteful for a watch but it will never go out of style you can wear it till death. At that price I would never take it off.

https://www.tourneau.com/watches/rolex/gmt-master-ii-m126713grnrz0001.html

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2023, 08:37:58 AM »
Yeah I really like it but can't spend that kind of loot on a watch. But the platinum is badass. Maybe for my 50th birthday I will get a two tone gmt master 2 I liked that watch but mine was stainless. 16k still seems a little wasteful for a watch but it will never go out of style you can wear it till death. At that price I would never take it off.

https://www.tourneau.com/watches/rolex/gmt-master-ii-m126713grnrz0001.html

Yeah it’s retarded money for the platinum now. I have a two tone daytona 116503 champagne which I absolutely love. Two tone gmt is a beauty. Lots hate two tone but I’m a big fan, reminds me of the 80s.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2023, 08:53:32 AM »
Yeah it’s retarded money for the platinum now. I have a two tone daytona 116503 champagne which I absolutely love. Two tone gmt is a beauty. Lots hate two tone but I’m a big fan, reminds me of the 80s.

Two tone is nice as it is sporty enough to go to the gym or the beach and dressy enough to wear formal it's the best of both worlds. You don't really want a soft gold bracelet to scratch in gym having steel on the outside protects the gold

You can get nice two tone gold Swiss watches for less but yeah Rolex is extra nice

https://www.tourneau.com/watches/tudor/black-bay-gmt-sandg-m79833mn-0001-TDR0121147.html

I would be more likely to go for a Tudor in two tone at this point in my life lol

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2023, 09:36:26 AM »
I remember when I fell in love with watches, my dad always had a Rolex growing up and I always loved it but I was walking thru filenes basement one day when I was 16 and saw an ad for a tag heuer 2000 if I remember correctly and it was 499.00 I went home and counted my money and I had 350ish saved up so I mowed a bunch of neighbors lawns and did some other stuff for a couple months and got the money and when back and bought it and I loved it. From there I went thru a couple more tags and then a breitling super avenger, then an omega and a movado here or there.

Then I bought my first Rolex, a used 1978 datejust for 1000.00, and my love of Rolex started and I’ve studied everything about Rolex there is to study. I can talk Rolex with the best of them. The Ads don’t even know what I’m talking about when we are talking cause they know fuck all. I am impressed with mops this guy knows his shit about most watches it seems.

So I have a long history with watches and it was and still is not about the money, it’s just awesome that the brand I happen to love is a no loss situation so you can play and have no fear of loss.watches are a big passion of mine as much as lifting weights.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2023, 09:46:04 AM »
There’s no scam when you can by a Rolex and wear it for a year and sell it and make money. If you don’t n in ow the Rolex market I understand but Rolex is unlike any watch brand and really unlike any brand of anything in the world.

The scam with luxury goods is they intentionally restrict supply so there is a scarcity factor and then sell at an inflated price. This includes Rolex.

Just because you can sell a Rolex on for profit doesn't change the nature of what it actually is. It's a scam just like how something like the housing market is.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2023, 09:47:04 AM »