Author Topic: What did you guys think of HHH commentating for the Mr Olympia?  (Read 10671 times)

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
To me, it was a dissapointment. I thought "Oh no, now they are mixing WWE with Pro bodybuilding?" Well, honeslty I looked at pro bodyuilding at a higher level than the cheesesy WWE.  Then seeing HHH commentating with LEvrone, was sad to me, because a real embassador of the sport should of been side by side with LEvrone, not a tool like HHH, wannabe.

Anyhow, I think its a big mistake, and maybe PDI  org will be different, and not mix wrestlers with pro bodybuilding. It looks bad. There shoul dbe ab "eliteness" to pro bodybuilding. DOnt mix it with pro wrestlers..or I should say "Pro actors"....When I saw HHH signing autographs at the Expo i thought "omg"  ::)  AS a WWE wrestler, sure, hes entertaining. But mixing people like him with pro bodybuilding really makes pro bodybuilding look "WWE LIKE"...

Anyone else agree?
I wonder waht some of the pros here think? If I was a pro, I would be pretty annoyed.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
Re: What did you guys think of HHH commentating for the Mr Olympia?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 03:20:55 PM »
Great topic, but I disagree with your assessment of HHH. He actually made the show a lot more livelier in both 2004 and 2005. In 2004 Kevin (levrone) was acting like a retard the whole time, staring blankly at the camera - he actually seemed (and acted) more brain depleted than all the bodybuilders who were actually depleted (like Ronnie).

In 2005, Mike Adamly, the host made a whole lot of embarrasing mistakes like calling Branch warren, Branch keller and stumbling for words etc. Plus the challenge round was so poorly organised and conducted. Thanks to HHH though, everyone was kept entertained. He actually did a great job of making people overlook the flaws. Even Arnold commented how he was glad to see HHH onstage.

I think HHH should continue to (co)host the Olympia.

body88

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 03:24:11 PM »
He was good. Levrone was hurting though.... sorry Earl :-X

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 03:24:21 PM »
But dont you think its a problem that he is out of the WWE? DOnt you think a guy like Shawn Ray, Levrone, or Lee Priest (if not competing) woul dbe a better fit for commentating the SUPERBOWL of pro bodybuilding instead of HHH>?

I like HHH, but I dont like him mixed in Pro bodybuilding. It brings Pro bodybuilding down to WWEs standards, or look.

Pretty soon youll have O bunch of trailor park folks going to bodybuilding shows, waiting for Jay cutler to smack the sandow over Ronnies head in 2006 if he doesnt win this year!  ;D

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 03:28:47 PM »
But dont you think its a problem that he is out of the WWE? DOnt you think a guy like Shawn Ray, Levrone, or Lee Priest (if not competing) woul dbe a better fit for commentating the SUPERBOWL of pro bodybuilding instead of HHH>?

I like HHH, but I dont like him mixed in Pro bodybuilding. It brings Pro bodybuilding down to WWEs standards, or look.

Pretty soon youll have O bunch of trailor park folks going to bodybuilding shows, waiting for Jay cutler to smack the sandow over Ronnies head in 2006 if he doesnt win this year!  ;D

I dont see him being out of the WWE a problem. He is pretty good with what he does. He has a reasonably good knowledge of bodybuilding, not to mention respect for the bodybuilders themselves. He actually makes the whole thing entertaining by co-hosting it. Shawn or Lee would be good, but they tend to get too factual to the point of making the whole commentary a little too dry.

Ideally, it would be really good to have an ex-pro to give a factual assessment of the proceeds/bodybuilders, while HHH adds his own tidbits as a flavouring. While he does try to get the Pros to smacktalk each other a little bit, no one goes over the top anyway. Its all good fun IMO.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 03:31:11 PM »
I thought HHH was great....they need someone lively like that broadcasting during a bodybuilding show

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 03:31:25 PM »
Great topic, but I disagree with your assessment of HHH. He actually made the show a lot more livelier in both 2004 and 2005. In 2004 Kevin (levrone) was acting like a retard the whole time, staring blankly at the camera - he actually seemed (and acted) more brain depleted than all the bodybuilders who were actually depleted (like Ronnie).

In 2005, Mike Adamly, the host made a whole lot of embarrasing mistakes like calling Branch warren, Branch keller and stumbling for words etc. Plus the challenge round was so poorly organised and conducted. Thanks to HHH though, everyone was kept entertained. He actually did a great job of making people overlook the flaws. Even Arnold commented how he was glad to see HHH onstage.

I think HHH should continue to (co)host the Olympia.

I totally agree with you, especially about the Levrone part. You hit it right on the head.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 03:34:10 PM »
Triple HHH is an entertainer, bottom line. He entertains an otherwise boring show. And the guy had at one time, a good physique.(not now, though).

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 03:36:10 PM »
Wow Im surprised honestly at the replies.

So no one thinks it discredits bodybuilding? You know, wrestling is FAKE, so FAKE+Pro bodybuilding?

Im probably being narrow minded.

I wouldnt have it that way. It would be Shawn Ray, or anyone that is knowledgeable about the competitors, and the sport...

Dnizneer

• Getbig III
  • Meat
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 03:37:20 PM »
HHH, is better than Richard Simmons, or Chuck Norris

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 03:40:52 PM »
Triple HHH is an entertainer, bottom line. He entertains an otherwise boring show. And the guy had at one time, a good physique.(not now, though).

If you find the MRO boring, you mus tnot be a bodybuilder, or know the sport.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 03:42:34 PM »
Wow Im surprised honestly at the replies.

So no one thinks it discredits bodybuilding? You know, wrestling is FAKE, so FAKE+Pro bodybuilding?

Im probably being narrow minded.

I wouldnt have it that way. It would be Shawn Ray, or anyone that is knowledgeable about the competitors, and the sport...

Wrestling is fake, but its also entertainment. Most people (except maybe 10 year olds and under) know that its just like watching movies - you know its made up, but you watch it for entertainment (although some of the beatings are real to an extent).

With HHH I am only saying he would make a good CO-HOST, meaning if he hosted with someone else. If you have seen the 2004 Mr. O, try to imagine Kevin doing it alone - he would have just been bringing up the challenge round over and over and over again (he still seemed to bear a lot of animosity towards Ronnie - probably bitter feelings).

When HHH co-hosts, he is not taking away anything away from the show itself. He is only involved with the introduction, announcements etc. Its not like he tries to steal the limelight in the middle of the posedown or anything. They used to have comedians come and do similar stuff in the 90s - it was/is all good IMO

People that would make good co-hosts with HHH IMO would be guys like Shawn or lee or bob or even Dorian. Dan Solomon would be good too (although like you point out, one of the guys should be a (ex) pro) 8)

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 03:48:20 PM »
I guess its because HH is not a bodybuilder; he never stepped on stage, he knows little about bodybuilding...So, as a commentator, i find his lack of knowledge ANNOYING..where as someone like Shawn Ray, and Levrone, would talk about DETAILS, and THEIR experiences, and CONNECT the Audience with the competitors..and the COMPETITORS want that..What good is HHH saying something OBVIOUS, to viewers, when you can have LEvrone, or RAY shed light on some cool FACTOIDS, and DETAILS about the competitors, and HOW THEY LOOK?  Anyone following me?

Say a competitor really improved, a Shawn Ray type, or Levrone, would be able to evaluate accodingly and point this out..where HHH would prob not notice any of the extremem hardwork a competitor did to improve-

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 03:50:47 PM »
HHH was really good, particularly at the 2005 Olympia. in my opinion, this year's commentator team should be Dan Solomon, HHH, and Shawn Ray. Levrone was one of the greatest BB's hands down, but he sucked behind the mic.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 03:52:07 PM »
I guess its because HH is not a bodybuilder; he never stepped on stage, he knows little about bodybuilding...So, as a commentator, i find his lack of knowledge ANNOYING..where as someone like Shawn Ray, and Levrone, would talk about DETAILS, and THEIR experiences, and CONNECT the Audience with the competitors..and the COMPETITORS want that..What good is HHH saying something OBVIOUS, to viewers, when you can have LEvrone, or RAY shed light on some cool FACTOIDS, and DETAILS about the competitors, and HOW THEY LOOK?  Anyone following me?

Actually, HHH did compete in some local bodybuilding contest a long time ago. Its not him just saying the obvious stuff, but rather the way he builds up little battles (like in the challenge rounds) or getting more out of the bodybuilders, instead of the same old, boring (i am xxx lbs and my arms are improved etc). There is no denying the fact that he would compliment some bodybuilder like Shawn as a great co-host.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 03:53:54 PM »
See, I thought that was corny..he was throwing a wrestling spin on it; I found that QUITE annoying.

MrO was always about a SUPER ULTRA PROFESSIONAL SHOW. The Pros deserve it. No SIllyness.. No Crap.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 03:59:02 PM »
See, I thought that was corny..he was throwing a wrestling spin on it; I found that QUITE annoying.

MrO was always about a SUPER ULTRA PROFESSIONAL SHOW. The Pros deserve it. No SIllyness.. No Crap.

Sorry to keep arguing, but you dont seem to realise the difference between the prejudging and the night show. The Pre-judging is just pure, hardcore bodybuilding - comparisons etc.

The Night show (finals) is as much for entertainment as it is professional. Its not just about getting the guys to pose, but to make the show as lively and entertaining as possible. HHH would only be involved in the night show.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 03:59:26 PM »
If you find the MRO boring, you mus tnot be a bodybuilder, or know the sport.

I'm an armchair bodybuilder and I'm very keen on the event known as bodybuilding( I refuse to call it a sport, sorry).

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that the Mr. O show is boring from an entertainment standpoint. I think you'll find others on here that would agree with that. As a FAN of bodybuilding, I see no problem with injecting other aspects of entertainment into an otherwise boring event where oiled up dudes just parade around in speedos and strike poses.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 04:03:34 PM »
Sorry to keep arguing, but you dont seem to realise the difference between the prejudging and the night show. The Pre-judging is just pure, hardcore bodybuilding - comparisons etc.

The Night show (finals) is as much for entertainment as it is professional. Its not just about getting the guys to pose, but to make the show as lively and entertaining as possible. HHH would only be involved in the night show.

Ive competed before, I know. Not arguing here. we have different outlooks and thats cool! I just wanted to know what everyone thought! So I need to chill out and let HHH put his WWE spin on pro bodybuilding. Hopefully Shawn Ray will make plent of knowledgeable comments/observations to offset HHH...Kinda like the comedian- I forogt his name that was on MNF with Al Michaels, right???

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 04:06:33 PM »

Neither bodybuilding nor pro wrestling is a sport so I don't see a problem.

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 04:23:55 PM »
All i care is if they can get Michael Buffer to introduce the athletes! That would be the best entrances ever

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 04:41:15 PM »
HHH saved the sinking ship otherwise known as the 2005 olympia...

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 04:50:50 PM »
they should hire the Ultimate Warrior to commentate the Olympia! :)
Flower Boy Ran Away

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »
they should hire the Ultimate Warrior to commentate the Olympia! :)

LOL - only thing is ND might start talking about how he has better arms than Ronnie :P

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 05:10:26 PM »
LOL yeah, that would probably happen! I still think Ultimate Warrior had the greatest physique ever seen in wrestling when he was at his roided up best.  But then again, he did compete in a few contests...
Flower Boy Ran Away