Author Topic: Lat Pulldown - front or back?  (Read 12724 times)

truthgoddess4u

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Lat Pulldown - front or back?
« on: May 12, 2006, 01:28:20 PM »
For lat pull downs, which is better: pulling towards the front to the chest or towards the back behind the neck? or train both for variations? Thanks in advance!

this is for wide grip - ;)

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
Re: Lat Pulldown - front or back?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 01:32:20 PM »
For lat pull downs, which is better: pulling towards the front to the chest or towards the back behind the neck? or train both for variations? Thanks in advance!

this is for wide grip - ;)

front.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 01:48:16 PM »
front..and squeeze...i always look up when i'm doing it and for some reason it helps me feel it more in my lats that way.

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 01:49:40 PM »
I like front much better, better feeling of the muscles working. ;)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 02:10:53 PM »
I do both... I do frint at the start of back day and at the end of everything I finish with behind the neck, making sure to go slow and squeeze...

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 02:17:41 PM »
Behind the head Pulldowns is an unnatural movement and is a no-no to be taught by a personal trainer..

DarthNemesis21

• Getbig II
  • The darkside makes you stonger.Gives you focus!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 03:16:53 PM »
Watch them shoulders w/ behind the neck.Mine feel unstable when "rarely" doing them.I lighten up the weight when I do.
give in to the darkside

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 01:47:11 AM »
I don't think it matters.  Modern conventional wisdom is front, but guys like Haney did rear and he never had a training injury (or so he says).  Either one is safe if your form is perfect.  I do both.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 11:25:12 AM »
always to the front.. if you do it to the back. theres a lot of risk to you rotalor cuffs.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 02:07:59 PM »
always to the front.. if you do it to the back. theres a lot of risk to you rotalor cuffs.

Behind the head Pulldowns is an unnatural movement and is a no-no
  ;)

Stick with the front until your a seasoned bb'r and then only maybe....
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 05:35:09 AM »
  ;)

Stick with the front until your a seasoned bb'r and then only maybe....

Why?  This is a funny myth that developed from a few idiot using way more weight than they can manage... If you warm up and then do a 5 set pyramid-up in weight, there should be no issue with pulling to the rear as long as you work in a controlled fashion, and grind out slow, smooth reps (no bouncing)...   The same goes for shoulder presses behind the neck....

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 06:34:31 AM »
This is a funny myth that developed from a few idiot using way more weight than they can manage... If you warm up and then do a 5 set pyramid-up in weight, there should be no issue with pulling to the rear as long as you work in a controlled fashion, and grind out slow, smooth reps (no bouncing)...   The same goes for shoulder presses behind the neck....
Actually you're funny, the way you always post like you're the last word. hahahahahh

Behind the neck presses and pulldowns both cause shoulder impingement, an established condition that is harsh on the joints and potentially injurious. It is NOT a figment of your deluded, arrogant imagination; it's a fact & something that i've experienced. Warming up and using reasonable weight will mitigate but not remove the potential for injury. Using a controlled manner will help to reduce but not remove possible problems; realistically most who traing hard won't keep an entirely controlled cadence for the entire set anyway. It might be worth trying these exercises but be there will always be the potential for problems given the inherent pressures exerted on the shoulders.

A better alternative for behind the neck presses IMO is to do 1/2 or 2/3 motions that avoid the bottom portioin of the ROM that is the most stressful to the joints. This is one where a Smith machine can also help.

Stop posting opinionated misinformation on here like it's fact; someone will pay the price

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 08:04:57 AM »
I think ur idea )pumpster) about only going part way down on behind neck presses is good,thast the way i intend to do them, lower bar until arms brake 90 degrees adn when bar is 1/2 way down my head. That should hopefully help avoid the dangerous bottom portion of the lift.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 10:52:52 AM »
definitely front.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 01:21:01 PM »
Actually you're funny, the way you always post like you're the last word. hahahahahh

Behind the neck presses and pulldowns both cause shoulder impingement, an established condition that is harsh on the joints and potentially injurious. It is NOT a figment of your deluded, arrogant imagination; it's a fact & something that i've experienced. Warming up and using reasonable weight will mitigate but not remove the potential for injury. Using a controlled manner will help to reduce but not remove possible problems; realistically most who traing hard won't keep an entirely controlled cadence for the entire set anyway. It might be worth trying these exercises but be there will always be the potential for problems given the inherent pressures exerted on the shoulders.

A better alternative for behind the neck presses IMO is to do 1/2 or 2/3 motions that avoid the bottom portioin of the ROM that is the most stressful to the joints. This is one where a Smith machine can also help.

Stop posting opinionated misinformation on here like it's fact; someone will pay the price

There are potential problems and dangers inherent in any exercise... as for shoulder impingement... seem to me that my using stretching movements like going behind the head might help prevent injury over time... I do agree with you about the ROM for these movement and I would never suggest going below ear level...

As for me posting as if it's "the last word" go blow a goat... this is a message board and I will express my oppinion...  grow up and deal with it wee-man...  if you have crappy shoulder genetics or if you train with bad form and have hurt yourself then do not project that on the rest of us... some like me have been doing these movements for over 10 years, and use very heavy weight... and NEVER have any shoulder issues...

I would suggest that you are an arrogant, opinionated and deluded fool... not I...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 03:18:29 PM »
STF and stop making black & white statements in future that you later have to qualify. Stick to relating your own experiences and opinions that may or may not apply elsewhere.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 05:05:17 PM »
STF and stop making black & white statements in future that you later have to qualify. Stick to relating your own experiences and opinions that may or may not apply elsewhere.

hey pumpster.... reduce the dosage or smoke a dube or something... i'll say what I say when I say it.... who cares? 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 05:44:08 PM »
Feel free to continue with the arrogant misinfo.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 06:02:57 PM »
I don't want to start a war here but if you want the best lat involvement, you'll want a shoulder width, palms facing grip, front pulldown. This puts your biceps in their strongest position. This is ideal because your arms are the weakest link when training lats.

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 07:48:07 PM »
Reverse grip rows is how Dorian tore his bicep..

Mákos

• Getbig I
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 01:30:02 AM »
when pulling to my back i feel the inner parts of my back (closer to the spine) working  more, when pulling to my chin.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 02:49:55 AM »
Feel free to continue with the arrogant misinfo.

Let me try to find some more for you....

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 06:10:36 AM »
There are potential problems and dangers inherent in any exercise... as for shoulder impingement... seem to me that my using stretching movements like going behind the head might help prevent injury over time... I do agree with you about the ROM for these movement and I would never suggest going below ear level...

As for me posting as if it's "the last word" go blow a goat... this is a message board and I will express my oppinion...  grow up and deal with it wee-man...  if you have crappy shoulder genetics or if you train with bad form and have hurt yourself then do not project that on the rest of us... some like me have been doing these movements for over 10 years, and use very heavy weight... and NEVER have any shoulder issues...

I would suggest that you are an arrogant, opinionated and deluded fool... not I...

its just not funny till you here the sentence "go blow a goat" good stuff.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 06:30:51 AM »
If it was funny i'd agree. Just witless, unfortunately.

Ya that's equal parts brilliant & sophisticated-for a 6 year old. hahahahhah

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 06:45:18 AM »
Ya that's equal parts brilliant & sophisticated-for a 6 year old. hahahahhah

come on you had to laugh just a little, when do you hear the sentence "blow a goat" used? its not like the normal stuff here (your gay,fuck you,eat shit,ect) used all the time.