Author Topic: Want to start cycling  (Read 4409 times)

youandme

• Getbig V
Want to start cycling
« on: May 29, 2006, 09:36:29 PM »
I want to start cycling outdoors, just going for some nice runs on a bike trail, wondering if anyone knows a thing or 2 about bikes, mind you I'm 240 and will be going down to 220 for the summer so I need support.
Any help much thanks

brianmcg123

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Want to start cycling
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 06:52:25 AM »
Go to www.roadbikereview.com

In their forums they have a beginners section that will be very helpful to you.  Just read up there for a while and if you have any questions just pm me.

Also, be sure to check out the Podium Girls section there.  You don't want to miss that.
It never gets easier.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 06:57:12 AM »
I want to start cycling outdoors, just going for some nice runs on a bike trail, wondering if anyone knows a thing or 2 about bikes, mind you I'm 240 and will be going down to 220 for the summer so I need support.
Any help much thanks

always wear a helmet..:)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 08:03:06 AM »
Thanks.
I was thinking If I wore a bandana that would be ok :-\

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 08:19:11 AM »
Thanks.
I was thinking If I wore a bandana that would be ok :-\

its ok if you do not mind tramatric brain injury by someone stupid running into you.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 08:24:35 AM »
Trail biking is great. On the other hand, I'm begging you, please never join one of those rode bike clubs that travel in packs. The one's with the oh so pretty festive and gay color outfits, who insist on riding side by side rather than in single file, on a busy and narrow country road. Trying to go around them without hitting their bony arse's is quite a challenge. For me, yesterday was a reminder of that. Good Cycling.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 11:13:34 AM »
No Im not going to do that, I'd look like a dumbass, those people piss me off and cause accidents. I understand it's their sport but they should not ride on major roads.

brianmcg123

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
Would this be considered a major road.

http://www.digave.com/videos/red-web.mpg

Cool video of bike messengers racing through New York.
It never gets easier.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 10:05:06 PM »
do you lose muscle when riding a bike????

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 08:15:43 AM »
do you lose muscle when riding a bike????

um... no, I guess you could but riding a bike you can pretty much straddle the aerobic/anarobic line. Keep the protein intake up, and depending on how you ride adding carbs probably wouldn't hurt either (Tour de France riders eat around 9,000 calories a day during the race)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 08:43:23 AM »
They do? What do they all eat?

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 10:07:13 AM »
i watched the what the iron man eat before there competition on tv one time  and its tons of food i remember there breakfast was something like 12 egg omelets tons of bacon and toast and a huge stack of pancakes

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 01:03:47 PM »
They do? What do they all eat?

pasta, cookie dough, cokes, shit like that, all high carb stuff. They just pack it in

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 01:34:31 PM »
Damn. Pretty interesting.

All I know if I ate like that after being depleted I would be sweating like no tommorow be extremely lethargic, and bloat up real fast.

They must always replinish with alot of carbs after training so that doesnt happen

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 07:10:01 PM »
that pic is ridiculous!
bodybuildersreality.com

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 08:49:37 PM »
Funny this comes up as i have been wanting to start a similar post.  I bought a bike (Cannondale CAAD 8)two weeks ago today and have already rode 185 miles!  I look like the funniest mofo in the world on a bike but it's now my mission to stomp these little 132lb clowns on a bike and prove that you can have good size and still ride.  I have been going 16-17 miles a day and just went 36 miles yesterday (big ass jump) and it almost killed me.  Mind you I went to the gym last night and still benched 345 for a double (yeah I know big deal but i have been dieting and am currently clean @ 10%BF)!  As far as dieting goes I was on roughly 1800-2200 cal/day with some carb/protein cycling to lean up for summer and got stuck so I bought a bike to lean up a little and the first week I dropped 6lbs!  Needless to say I about shit myself on the scale and all this last week I pounded about 4k cal a day (double my usual) and have yet to put any weight back on.  My waist dropped an inch and my strength has stayed the same.  My stats are 6', 210lbs, legit 31" waist, 18" arms & 10% BF.  Nothing to brag about but i'm not here to act like i'm a pro bb like some of these morons with outlandgish claims and never post pics...  By the way, I give mad props to these cycling nerds for having huge hearts and will power!  Unless you have ever tried doing 30 or so miles over hills on a bike balls out never have ridden a real bike like that then I wouldn't comment.  It has to be one of the most humbling things I have ever done!  If you can put your ego on the shelf and are a type A person who likes to push himself to the limits and are looking for a new fad, then cycling maybe a good summer ticket to have fun and get leeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaannnnn nnn!!!  To anyone who tries it, good luck... ;D

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 04:12:10 PM »
Yeah today I did the bike and raced the bike (press team race on late model lifestyles) and I went 10 miles at 75rpm I felt like a badass after beating that machine  ;D  it was hard sometimes I would race up to 90rpm or 20mph and get ahead to give me some slack time.

I didnt opt to buy the road bike I still dont know, I got my bodyweight back up on accident training with heavy weights.
Bigbalddaddy do you wear the biking clothes? I want to add another hobby maybe I should look more into mountain biking, more trails, suit my body better.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 05:27:13 PM »
Yeah today I did the bike and raced the bike (press team race on late model lifestyles) and I went 10 miles at 75rpm I felt like a badass after beating that machine  ;D  it was hard sometimes I would race up to 90rpm or 20mph and get ahead to give me some slack time.

I didnt opt to buy the road bike I still dont know, I got my bodyweight back up on accident training with heavy weights.
Bigbalddaddy do you wear the biking clothes? I want to add another hobby maybe I should look more into mountain biking, more trails, suit my body better.

Well in order to keep your tool box from getting jacked you must buy the special shorts or in my case they sold me pearl izumi bibb shorts and I wear a tank top over it so I don't look too much like a bike nerd.  I also got the wazzoo shoes/gloves/helmet in case I go down.  All the dudes that ride think i'm huge so it's pretty funny when i'm only 210 but to them I might as well be Jay Cutler. ;D  I did 36 miles on saturday, 8 yesterday to loosen up my legs, chest today and tommorow i'm going for about 22-25 and try to work my way up to about 50 or so.  Funny thing is I started it for cardio and to trim down a little but damn this shit is addicting as hell.  I must admit though even as small as I am is really to big to think about being competitive on a bike.  I can't do the mountain bike thing cause of my personality.  I'm too much of a jackass and have to do everything 10,000% overboard and my luck i'll get into down hills and hurt myself.  Oh well, we'll see...

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 02:13:28 AM »
um... no, I guess you could but riding a bike you can pretty much straddle the aerobic/anarobic line. Keep the protein intake up, and depending on how you ride adding carbs probably wouldn't hurt either (Tour de France riders eat around 9,000 calories a day during the race)
9000 calories??????????? Are you sure????? Not even Markus eat 9000 calories a day. Dude, put some batteries on your calculator to do the proper math! If a rider ate 9000 calories a day he would finish the competition 6 or 7 kgs heavier! 9000x30days  :P
S

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 10:23:42 AM »
9000 calories??????????? Are you sure????? Not even Markus eat 9000 calories a day. Dude, put some batteries on your calculator to do the proper math! If a rider ate 9000 calories a day he would finish the competition 6 or 7 kgs heavier! 9000x30days  :P

No, he is right.  Check your calculator and your workload math based off of energy exerted!  A 3-4 hour ride can burn in excess of 2500cal I know because I have seen guys' computers which verify such.  Put that together with 8-10hours a day on a bike and 9000 calories isn't as much as you think.  Lance Armstrong has been on record for going well over 10k cal before in a day.  This is mostly consumed by maltodextrin/sports drink combos that are about 6-800 cal each.  A guy I know wakes up, makes his coffee with 200g carbs of maltodextrin powder mixed (800cal) and then rides for 100 miles drinking 16oz pediatlite with 100g maltodextrin every 30 min and then consumes several home made double cheeseburgers throughout the day along with a pizza for dinner and a huge bowl of pasta with tons of olive oil on it before bed.  The guy is about 150lbs, eats close to 6k cal a day and still can't hold weight but because of the heat in Vegas he can't stomach any more food.  Trust me, 9k a day is not too out of line when you think about how many carbs they consume with carb drinks...

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 08:13:18 AM »
if you want me to qualify my remark then I'll say this. A rider during the Tour de France will very often consume between 6k and 9k (+ and -) a day during the race.

Many riders are getting smarter about their diet, technology became a part of the Tour in the late 80's when Greg LeMond (an American) used science to go faster. People are paying attention now, Lance and Floyd (and all the other Americans) are using nutritionists, and not flaky new age bullcrap either. Same diet science bodybuilders use, only adjusted to their workload.

These guys average more mileage on a bike for 3 weeks than most people do in a car, and a chunk of it is in big ass mountains

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 10:26:29 PM »
Funny this comes up as i have been wanting to start a similar post.  I bought a bike (Cannondale CAAD 8)two weeks ago today and have already rode 185 miles!  I look like the funniest mofo in the world on a bike but it's now my mission to stomp these little 132lb clowns on a bike and prove that you can have good size and still ride.  I have been going 16-17 miles a day and just went 36 miles yesterday (big ass jump) and it almost killed me.  Mind you I went to the gym last night and still benched 345 for a double (yeah I know big deal but i have been dieting and am currently clean @ 10%BF)!  As far as dieting goes I was on roughly 1800-2200 cal/day with some carb/protein cycling to lean up for summer and got stuck so I bought a bike to lean up a little and the first week I dropped 6lbs!  Needless to say I about shit myself on the scale and all this last week I pounded about 4k cal a day (double my usual) and have yet to put any weight back on.  My waist dropped an inch and my strength has stayed the same.  My stats are 6', 210lbs, legit 31" waist, 18" arms & 10% BF.  Nothing to brag about but i'm not here to act like i'm a pro bb like some of these morons with outlandgish claims and never post pics...  By the way, I give mad props to these cycling nerds for having huge hearts and will power!  Unless you have ever tried doing 30 or so miles over hills on a bike balls out never have ridden a real bike like that then I wouldn't comment.  It has to be one of the most humbling things I have ever done!  If you can put your ego on the shelf and are a type A person who likes to push himself to the limits and are looking for a new fad, then cycling maybe a good summer ticket to have fun and get leeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaannnnn nnn!!!  To anyone who tries it, good luck... ;D
do you workout your legs at all ???

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 06:23:53 AM »
do you workout your legs at all ???

My legs are a legit 28" and I am a natural at training legs.  But squatting 405 (natural) in the basement for a few reps is totally different than pedaling for 2 f*king hours!   I bet Ronnie Coleman and his 800lb squat couldn't ride for 5 miles.  BTW, I did ride 37 miles yesterday at an average of 18mph...

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 05:08:15 PM »
Damn 18mph 37 miles.

I would like to see a cyclists diet. I know a top runner that trains with nike in the camp, and he eats peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all day, might weigh in at 120 and thats giving him some credit.

All I know is when I used to start contest prep and being cardio it would last 5 mins because of the extreme pumps my calves would gorge with blood, and I would get shin splints from the overload. It's all about conditioning.

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 06:26:27 PM »
Damn 18mph 37 miles.

I would like to see a cyclists diet. I know a top runner that trains with nike in the camp, and he eats peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all day, might weigh in at 120 and thats giving him some credit.

All I know is when I used to start contest prep and being cardio it would last 5 mins because of the extreme pumps my calves would gorge with blood, and I would get shin splints from the overload. It's all about conditioning.

Well I am no cyclist per say since I just started 3 weeks ago.  My diet/training consists of the following...

0600-12oz homebrew coffee mixed with max carb powder 2 scoops (57g carbs)

0630-Normal ride of 20-25 miles (drink 16oz gatorade w/2 scoops max carbs (80g carbs) during ride and water of course.

0800-P.W.O Two bannanas, protein drink, 20g glutamine (50g carbs/30g protein)

1000-cliff bar, bannana, 16oz liquid egg whites  (45g carb/55g protein)

1230-Chicken/Rice (75g carbs/50g protein)

1600-cliff bar bannana, 16oz liquid egg whites (45g carb/55g protein)

1930-chicken/pasta (100g carbs/50g protein)

2200-pasta (50g carbs) Before bed time! 

I now ride on tues, wed, sat, sun and train with the same weight intensity on mon, thurs, fri, sun (double day).  My calories seem to be around 3400-3800 with fat that I didn't mention above which is not enough.  Three weeks ago I was on a stupid summer diet of around 1800cal/day and my metabolism was shutting down and wasn't loosing weight.  I damn near double my calories and obviously my cardio and I can't keep weight on now.  My gym strength is still there and I am still motiviated to train hard and ride hard so I don't think I am overtraining yet but with loosing weight like I am I know I am close.  When I step up next week to a few 50 mile rides, I am gonna really step up on the carbs.  My pasta before bed and my pre-workout coffee drink with maltodextrin works like magic I must admit so I will probably boost those up.  I know someone is gonna say blah blah its bad to eat carbs before bed blah blah but I am not getting fat yet and it really keeps my stamina up on the ride.  I'll keep ya'll posted... ;D ;D ;D