Author Topic: 6oz of gatorade post workout?  (Read 1641 times)

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
6oz of gatorade post workout?
« on: June 08, 2006, 04:38:20 PM »
If you drink  very little, say 6 0z of gatorade, after a workout, then drink your whey protein, will this help protein assimilation???

Im low carbing it right now, reached a point where  im feeling flat and less pumps, so i bought a huge gatorade to keep in my fridge- tak eonly like 5-6 sips after my workouts, then have some protein..

good? bad?

OldGymRat

• Getbig II
  • Truth in Bodybuilding
Re: 6oz of gatorade post workout?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 04:56:50 PM »
I'm guessing this is some sort of pre-contest regimen that you'll only be on for a very short period of time?  Are you carb depleting?  ???
If you are thinking that the simple carbs in the Gatorade will help with protein assimilation, similar to creatine, I don't think it would.  The protein must be broken down into amino acids first.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 08:58:11 AM »
Keep doing it.  The dextrose in Gatorade (make sure it powder, otherwise you're consuming fructose which doesn't work) along with protein supplementation is beneficial.

See "A Body Builder’s Outline to Post-Workout Nutrition" http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/windowofopportunity.php

"Cortisol cannot be suppressed any faster than through a burst of insulin release from High GI carbohydrate source. A prompt insulin discharge is highly beneficial in the post-training atmosphere because of the hormones uncanny ability to suppress cortisol. The faster this release takes place the faster protein and carbohydrates are delivered to the muscles to promote muscle recovery and adaptation. See: Dextrose, Maltodextrin, and Sodium an In Depth Analysis"

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 04:36:51 PM »
If your watching your sugars and carbs I would leave the gatorade out. I've honestly found that the whole post workout insulin spike is not needed. I guess the best way for you to find out is to try it yourself and see what happens. I don't know how low your going on carbs, but if your really low remember to replace them with a serving of healthy fat. This will aid in the fat loss process.