Author Topic: Glutamine: Less Is More???  (Read 1404 times)

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
Glutamine: Less Is More???
« on: June 15, 2006, 01:12:43 PM »
I remember reading this in an old issue of Muscle Media (November 2001) about Glutamine, which goes against what just about all of you recommend for Glutamine supplementation...

Moreover, according to new research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, there may be an additional advantage to supplementing with small, frequent servings of a glutamine supplement.  You see, logic would dictate that if you take a ton of glutamine, you'd expect most of what you ingest to show up where it's supposed to--which, for glutamine, is the bloodstream.  However, with glutamine, that just doesn't happen.  Studies show that between 50 percent to 85 percent of large glutamine loads ingested orally (as opposed to via an intravenous drip) don't reach the bloodstream.  Instead, such large doses typically raise a red flag, prompting the liver to accelerate its removal from the bloodstream.  Smaller loads, on the order of 2 grams to 3 grams, have been shown to increase plasma glutamine levels by about 19 percent without "provoking" the liver to initiate housecleaning duties.

T. Welbourne, "Increased Plasma Bicarbonate and Growth Hormone After an Oral Glutamine Load," Amer. J. Clin. Nutr. 61 (1995): 1058-1061.

So according to this, taking large doses of glutamine, is a complete waste of money!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Glutamine: Less Is More???
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 02:43:14 PM »
Touche'  ;)
Now we should talk about the fact that it has no bearing on hypertropy  ;)

I do believe however, glutamine is a great sup during the cutting phase to help keep the immune system up.
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 04:07:38 PM »
this is a good point.... I think the bottles usually recommend 4 daily doses of 5g each.... maybe this isn't news?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 04:46:03 PM »
Man, every day I learn something new on this site, I was ingesting Glutamine in 9g servings several time per day.  Anybody who thinks this sport is simple is dead wrong!

KAM

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 04:37:04 AM »
if your taking in to much how would your body flush it out,  is it possible it could give you the shits

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 05:04:02 AM »
if your taking in to much how would your body flush it out,  is it possible it could give you the shits

Possible? 8)

Pope wear a funny hat?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 06:29:51 PM »

So according to this, taking large doses of glutamine, is a complete waste of money!

interesting.
bodybuildersreality.com