Author Topic: What percentage........  (Read 3198 times)

tingnting

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Let it snow..!
What percentage........
« on: June 28, 2006, 04:06:37 PM »
Last December was when i done my first & only show. Due to the burdon, not just financial, i've no desire to compete again. Despite winning all i recieved was a plastic trophy & a very deflateing experience. I only had 3 other competiters in my class. 1 poor bastard had no 1 to compete with. What percentage of board/gym members do you think compete..? My guess would less than 25% actually go thru the aggro of getting prepared to step on stage. Your thoughts please

xavmaster

• Getbig II
Re: What percentage........
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 05:15:20 PM »
Obviously where ever you compete it is not publisised correctly and there obviously wasn't enough hype about the comp.
I'm 16 and i'm competing for the first time this year and everyone is pumped for it and there is a huge hype and rivalary  ;D

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 05:26:13 PM »
Last December was when i done my first & only show. Due to the burdon, not just financial, i've no desire to compete again. Despite winning all i recieved was a plastic trophy & a very deflateing experience. I only had 3 other competiters in my class. 1 poor bastard had no 1 to compete with. What percentage of board/gym members do you think compete..? My guess would less than 25% actually go thru the aggro of getting prepared to step on stage. Your thoughts please

Are you talkin' about Mike Arvilla's show?

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 05:42:18 PM »
Thats too bad that you lost your desire. Where im from BBing doesn't exist, there are no shows, no real hardcores (except myself ;) ) but if I had the option to compete I would without hesitation. I would have to travel fairly far to do a show and im still young and not quite ready but I know i will one day. I don't think you should get discouraged and stop. As for your topic, I don't think a high percentage of members compete. Like others, the look of some pros really inspired me and made me decide thats how i want to look. It also takes alot of time and money to do a show so some are stuck there, like fathers,husbands, and big excutives. But you are part of the small precentage that competes so be proud and keep doing it. Good luck!
bodybuildersreality.com

tingnting

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Let it snow..!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 11:45:36 PM »

Are you talkin' about Mike Arvilla's show?
  Mike who.....?

tingnting

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Let it snow..!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 11:53:07 PM »
Thats too bad that you lost your desire. Where im from BBing doesn't exist, there are no shows, no real hardcores (except myself ;) ) but if I had the option to compete I would without hesitation. I would have to travel fairly far to do a show and im still young and not quite ready but I know i will one day. I don't think you should get discouraged and stop. As for your topic, I don't think a high percentage of members compete. Like others, the look of some pros really inspired me and made me decide thats how i want to look. It also takes alot of time and money to do a show so some are stuck there, like fathers,husbands, and big excutives. But you are part of the small precentage that competes so be proud and keep doing it. Good luck!
Thank you for that. I dunno, maybe your right. The English media portray BB in a bad light, in a thuggish kinda way which doesn't help ???

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 10:56:38 PM »
yes no doubt there.
bodybuildersreality.com

BigIronMike25

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 11:10:12 AM »

People dont realize how EXPENSIVE of a sport / hobby bodybuilding is!   Even i couldnt believe how much i ended up spending during my 17week contest prep.  Ran up a good bit on my damn mastercard (lol)  but the experience is always well worth it, if you truly dream of gettin onstage and givin em hell......Shit, the way i figure it, its better than wasting all my dough on rec drugs and alcohol like the majority of people i know!!! but then again to each his own!!

toodzl4u

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 11:25:08 AM »

I competed for the first time this year and for me it was more about what condition I could get myself into for the first time.  The show I did is an annual show which is put on by an IFBB pro but the turn out was a little poor. If you were happy with your performance and not the caliber of the show then try a larger scale show next time.  Then you might have something better to compare and hence a better outlook on the sport and competition.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 11:35:38 AM »
but then again to each his own!!
true that. I always make sure when my protein is gettin low i buy a new one, I don't even think of it as spending money. I know its just something i have to have. Just like when the fridge gets low and you need food, same kinda thing. lots of people see that as a waste of money and then go spend just as much on a bag a weed and 2/6.
bodybuildersreality.com

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 01:13:41 PM »
What percentage of board/gym members do you think compete..? My guess would less than 25% actually go thru the aggro of getting prepared to step on stage. Your thoughts please
probably less than 3% at most ....
L

tingnting

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Let it snow..!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 02:27:56 PM »
 It wasn't just the expence financally, but how it consumed my time. I train with a guy who's just recieved his pro card & i don't where he get's his drive from, 'cause some days i was shattered before i even trained & he's telling me it get's harder physically & financally. I have a full time job which he said i would be better giving up if i have any chance of making national level. Is he right...?

xavmaster

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 07:30:01 PM »
It wasn't just the expence financally, but how it consumed my time. I train with a guy who's just recieved his pro card & i don't where he get's his drive from, 'cause some days i was shattered before i even trained & he's telling me it get's harder physically & financally. I have a full time job which he said i would be better giving up if i have any chance of making national level. Is he right...?

Whats your friends name?
If I was training with a pro for me that would be motivation enough haha ;D

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 08:23:44 PM »
well training is totally different from competing. If you don't have a super strong drive to train you won't do as well competing.
bodybuildersreality.com

tingnting

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Let it snow..!
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 10:32:27 AM »
I love training, no question. I was just a little disillusioned about the credit/respect etc...about the feeling of seeing an end result. To be totally honest, i wasn't anything special, i will never light up the bodybuilding world. Maybe turn a few heads in the street at summertime, that's about it. Surely there's more to life than that. I don't know how anyone make's a decent living from it