Author Topic: Pre-Contest Diet  (Read 3345 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Pre-Contest Diet
« on: July 10, 2006, 03:19:49 PM »
How long should a pre-contest diet run for a natural bodybuilder?

Let's assume the person in question is starting from a reasonable BF percentage, somewhere around (a legit) 15-18% BF. How long should this person be dieting?

I've seen some guys here dieting for around 8-12 weeks, and then again I know of a natural bodybuilder who prepared for 18 months, starting @ approx 12% BF.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Bast175

Re: Pre-Contest Diet
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 03:28:48 PM »
12 months is way too long.   You can go down 1% body fat every week or 2.  Probably 1.5% a week the fastest.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 06:39:44 PM »
Depends a lot on how you lean out.  If you think you may have a little trouble you may want to ease into it for a few weeks and then become strict at 12 weeks.  For my first show of the year that is what I usually do, start at 14-15 weeks cleaning up my diet and then tighten it up as I go.  I also try not to overdo it on cardio but if you want to up your cardio you could probably cut it a little shorter.

I'm guessing you meant 18 weeks and not months.  From my experience it gets to be a long time...I have been dieting for 20 weeks now and am hating life :) you also risk losing your muscle , really the final decision is if you want to take it easier and do it longer or be super strict and cut down the time.  My suggestion for a first show is take it out a little longer because imo I would rather be a little lean then too fat.   
Jennifer

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 03:24:58 AM »
I would try for a slow weight loss-1-2 lbs a week-to preserve as much muscle as possible.So estimate what you need to lose and just work it out based on,say, 1.5 lbs per week-add a couple of weeks though incase you have underestimated what you need to lose.I dieted for 14 weeks for my first show last year and was in ok condition,maintained the diet for a show 3 weeks later then did the finals 22 weeks after that when I felt I was in 'proper' condition' ie good separation in glutes,lower back,hamstrings,cross striated triceps etc..I then did the UIBBN Worlds 3 weeks later but just felt flat and tired-25 weeks total dieing was a little too much for me maybe? 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 04:24:23 AM »
Depends a lot on how you lean out.  If you think you may have a little trouble you may want to ease into it for a few weeks and then become strict at 12 weeks.  For my first show of the year that is what I usually do, start at 14-15 weeks cleaning up my diet and then tighten it up as I go.  I also try not to overdo it on cardio but if you want to up your cardio you could probably cut it a little shorter.

I'm guessing you meant 18 weeks and not months.  From my experience it gets to be a long time...I have been dieting for 20 weeks now and am hating life :) you also risk losing your muscle , really the final decision is if you want to take it easier and do it longer or be super strict and cut down the time.  My suggestion for a first show is take it out a little longer because imo I would rather be a little lean then too fat.   

No. I actually ment 18 months. He prepared himself for a major contest. Amazing to see.

He was isocaloric at several stages from what I understand, and even a few weeks he may have been hyper-caloric to try to keep his metabolism running. He dieted for so long in order to not lose muscle mass from what I understand.

YIP
Zack

As empty as paradise

Bast175

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 06:32:52 AM »
He dieted for so long in order to not lose muscle mass from what I understand.

YIP
Zack

Muscle is hard to lose (as long as your getting decent calories and training), the guy was paranoid.

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 07:40:03 AM »
Muscle is hard to lose (as long as your getting decent calories and training), the guy was paranoid.
Trouble is if your getting decent calories you can't lose the bodyfat.I think retaining muscle while dieting is one of the hardest goals for a natural.18 months though :o

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 11:11:29 AM »
Trouble is if your getting decent calories you can't lose the bodyfat.I think retaining muscle while dieting is one of the hardest goals for a natural.18 months though :o

I look to his prep and Skip LaCour's hardcore mindset when needing inspiration to be true to a diet.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Bast175

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 07:47:05 PM »

People think they are losing muscle because they lose strength while dieting.  But of course you won't be as strong because you have little glycogen and carbs for energy.  That doesn't mean you have lost muscle.

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 07:41:00 AM »
Maybe it's just me then but I find to get into really ripped contest condition then I have had to sacrifice some muscle.I don't feel a major loss of strength until the last 3-4 weeks and then only in my weaker movements(mainly pressing movements) but that's probably because I'm so psyched as the contest is approaching.I think it's just trial and error though as lasy year was my first full year of competition.I might try a different approach next year.

Saskbb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 07:57:33 AM »
How long should a pre-contest diet run for a natural bodybuilder?

Let's assume the person in question is starting from a reasonable BF percentage, somewhere around (a legit) 15-18% BF. How long should this person be dieting?

I've seen some guys here dieting for around 8-12 weeks, and then again I know of a natural bodybuilder who prepared for 18 months, starting @ approx 12% BF.

YIP
Zack

If your 18% out I would suggest 20 weeks at least.  The slower you loss the weight the more you will hold onto mass. Plus if your not using roids to hold your gains than slower is better.

Max

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 12:54:51 AM »
Maybe it's just me then but I find to get into really ripped contest condition then I have had to sacrifice some muscle.I don't feel a major loss of strength until the last 3-4 weeks and then only in my weaker movements(mainly pressing movements) but that's probably because I'm so psyched as the contest is approaching.I think it's just trial and error though as lasy year was my first full year of competition.I might try a different approach next year.
Alright Jonno how goes it? 
I agree with you somewhat.  I think it's seriously hard to retain all you're muscle and when you get down to those really low bf%'s it gets even harder to maintain the muscle.
To address the originaly post i started this year 17 weeks out and about 14% bf.  Now at 2 1/2 weeks out im just where i want to be.
In comparrison last year i started at about 16-17% 10 weeks out.  I dieted like a madman.  I Lost alot of strength and told myself it was just because i was in a calorie deficit.  It wasnt.  I had burnt off alot of muscle.
This year I have experienced some strength loss but nowhere near as much.

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 04:01:15 AM »
Alright Max.Hang in their with the diet,mate.Hope to be at St. Albans to give you some support.The Jon Harris board members are taking over ;D