Author Topic: Protein Bars like CRAZY!  (Read 8436 times)

Lugar

• Getbig IV
Protein Bars like CRAZY!
« on: July 11, 2006, 05:39:31 AM »
Well, long story short, I helped train an older gentlmen who actually won first prize in a phys. transformation contest.  One of the prizes was $10,000 in supplments.  Obviously, he couldnt finish it all in a year (allowed time), so he has given me about 10 boxes of bars, from EAS carb sense, t detour, to trioplex, to oh yeah.........what would you do in this case?  I am trying to put on very lean mass and have heard horrible stories about these bars.  Are they that bad?  What if I had half prebed, half as a desert following a few meals, etc.....split em up to have a few throughout the idea?  Would this be ok, or would you just say nix eM/

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
Re: Protein Bars like CRAZY!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 06:28:02 AM »
Your strategy sounds pretty good.  What contest did he win?  Not the EAS/Body-for-Life?  He'd only get EAS supps that way...

In any case, the bars may not be as healthy as shakes or whole foods, they're far from bad for you.  Have them as snacks in between real meals or anytime it's not convenient to eat a real meal, supplement with one of the better bars.  I'm sure you're going to find that some taste a lot better than others, so since they were free - throw away the crap ones.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 06:36:44 AM »
just don't use them to replace real food

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 07:20:28 AM »
so, how do i take em??

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 07:27:59 AM »
so, how do i take em??
As a snack when your craving sweets

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 07:41:25 AM »
They still have a good amount of sugars in them so use them sparingly....

I usually will do mid morning snack and perhaps mid afternoon.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 08:10:57 AM »
read the labels................mo st are almost as bad as candy bars
(sugar,fat,sodium,carbs,calories)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 08:35:13 AM »
I have to echo Mr. Arvilla on his post.  It's like a candy bar with 20g of protein added.  The only time I ever use them is in absolute desperation, such as being trapped on a long flight with nothing other than airline food (and I was not smart enought to pack a RTD or beef jerky).  It is frustrating that no one has yet developed a protein bar which maked nutritional sense from a bodybuilding perspective.

bigjay80

• Getbig II
  • Street Muscle
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 09:00:30 AM »
I have to echo Mr. Arvilla on his post.  It's like a candy bar with 20g of protein added.  The only time I ever use them is in absolute desperation, such as being trapped on a long flight with nothing other than airline food (and I was not smart enought to pack a RTD or beef jerky).  It is frustrating that no one has yet developed a protein bar which maked nutritional sense from a bodybuilding perspective.
Absotutely true.... As Mike mentioned, read the labels very carefully, especially if you are trying to stay lean.  Besides sodium and saturated fat, be very careful with sugar alcohols, if you are not used to them, they can do a number on your stomach.....

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 10:42:22 AM »
so dump em.... :'(

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 11:13:35 AM »
so dump em.... :'(
Nah, sell 'em!   :D
:D Weee

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 11:34:27 AM »
Nah, sell 'em!   :D

there ya go!!

(lol  just don't eat too many of them yourself!)

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 12:03:02 PM »
cmon...the ones I got, although they do have the alcohols and fillers, are actually pretty decent....very very low sugar 2-3g, low net carbs 6-10g, and fat is under 9g.......eas myoplex carb sense...

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 12:09:15 PM »
cmon...the ones I got, although they do have the alcohols and fillers, are actually pretty decent....very very low sugar 2-3g, low net carbs 6-10g, and fat is under 9g.......eas myoplex carb sense...

sodium????

sugar alcohol content???(just as bad as reg sugar!)

bro...........eat them if you want
but you asked and the truth is that they are crap
(good in an emergency)

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 12:37:53 PM »
YUP..DUMPED....OH WELL.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 05:46:22 PM »
I agree with dumping these things...only good in emergency situations if really food is for some reason not an option, or for a small treat every now and then.

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 06:17:48 PM »
like half or so after my "lunch meal....as a desert, maybe with some coffee....

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 08:49:23 PM »
dont dump em, i think you could make some cash off them, talk to some people in the gym. Just say hey i got a box of protein bars ill sell ya cheap.
big or bust

D-Jay

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 09:22:55 PM »
2 years ago I had a job which required alot of travel.  I ate lots of bars while I was on the road.......because it kept me from stopping for fast food.  This was a case where I can see the value in bars.

If you are that concerned with micro-managing your diet.....sell them on ebay and buy some protein powder.  Don't dump them!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 03:27:21 AM »
i'd eat them. daily. unless you're on a diet for mr olympia why care.
Z

Lugar

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 05:44:58 AM »
all i was thinking of was to have half here, half there....until I finished them.....just a few extra couple hundred cals during my clean mass building phase..will this be detremental or not?  If I was hardcore, which I wish I could be, I friggn eat 2-3 everyday whenever the hell I felt like it...damn, I wish I had that dedication!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 11:00:29 AM »
sodium????

sugar alcohol content???(just as bad as reg sugar!)

bro...........eat them if you want
but you asked and the truth is that they are crap
(good in an emergency)

Mike,
That is simply not true at all.  Sugar Alcohols are not metbolized by the human body like regular sugar is.  Sugar Alcohols do nothing to blood sugar/insulin response.

Bars are perfectly fine if you get ones with low fat,high protein and moderate carbs,the carbs being not from sugar but a sugar substitute.

Dont be delusional.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 11:06:54 AM »
Also,

there is no point whatsoever to worry about sodium at any time except maybe the last week of contest.  Even then there are tons of people out there that don`t mess with sodium levels including a lot of naturals who display better conditioning than most IFBB pros.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 11:11:08 AM »
so, how do i take em??

internally....

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 11:33:46 AM »
Mike,
That is simply not true at all.  Sugar Alcohols are not metbolized by the human body like regular sugar is.  Sugar Alcohols do nothing to blood sugar/insulin response.

Bars are perfectly fine if you get ones with low fat,high protein and moderate carbs,the carbs being not from sugar but a sugar substitute.

Dont be delusional.
Actually you are not entirely correct either Adam.

Sugar Alcohol Facts

If you've looked lately at the "Nutrition Facts" panel on a pack of sugar-free gum or candy, or a low carbohydrate food product you might be surprised to see that it contains "sugar alcohol." Don't let the name fool you. These ingredients were given this consumer-friendly name because part of their structure resembles sugar and part is similar to alcohol. Despite their name, sugar alcohols do not contain ethanol, which is found in alcoholic beverages.

What is sugar alcohol?
Sugar alcohols, also know as polyols, are ingredients used as sweeteners and bulking agents. They occur naturally in foods and come from plant products such as fruits and berries. As a sugar substitute, they provide fewer calories (about a half to one-third less calories) than regular sugar. This is because they are converted to glucose more slowly, require little or no insulin to be metabolized and don't cause sudden increases in blood sugar. This makes them popular among individuals with diabetes; however, their use is becoming more common by just about everyone as we are all becoming more aware of the negative health effects of being overweight and are using low carbohydrate foods. You may actually be consuming them and not even know it!

Identifying them
Common sugar alcohols are mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, lactitol, isomalt, maltitol and hydrogenated starch hydrolysates (HSH). Sugar alcohols are not commonly used in home food preparation, but are found in many processed foods. Food products labeled "sugar-free," including hard candies, cookies, chewing gums, soft drinks and throat lozenges often consist of sugar alcohols. They are frequently used in toothpaste and mouthwash too.

Check carbohydrates
So why are sugar alcohols used so often? For one thing, they help to provide the sweet flavor to food in many products marketed towards individuals with diabetes. But, beware! There is often the misconception that all sugar alcohol-containing products are "free foods." Some of these products may still contain significant amounts of carbohydrates. It's important to check the food label for the total carbohydrate contained in the product and talk with a registered dietitian to determine how it will best fit into your meal plan.

If a manufacturer uses the term "sugar free" or "no added sugar," they must list the grams of sugar alcohols. If more than one sugar alcohol is used in a product, the "Nutrition Facts" panel will list the amount of sugar alcohol it contains under the total carbohydrate. If just one sugar alcohol is used, the label will list its specific name, for example, "mannitol" or "hydrogenated starch hydrolysates."

Pros and cons of sugar alcohols
On the positive side, sugar alcohols contain less calories (1.5 - 3 calories per gram) than sugar (4 calories per gram), (those are pretty damn close numbers to me) and they do not cause tooth decay like sugar does. Therefore, many "sugar-free" gums including Trident® and Extra® are made with sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols also add texture to foods, retain moisture better and prevent foods from browning when they are heated.

Unfortunately, there are some negatives associated with sugar alcohols. The most common side effect is the possibility of bloating and diarrhea when sugar alcohols are eaten in excessive amounts. There is also some evidence that sugar alcohols, much like fructose (natural fruit sugar) in fruit and fruit juice can cause a "laxative effect." Despite their lower calorie content, weight gain has been seen when these products are overeaten – just like anything else – use them and products containing them in moderation.

The American Diabetes Association agrees – they claim that sugar alcohols are acceptable in a moderate amount but should not be eaten in excess! Some people with diabetes, especially Type I diabetics, have found that their blood sugars rise if sugar alcohols are eaten in uncontrolled amounts – imagine that!!

Sugar Alcohols vs. Artificial Sweeteners
Sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners, such as saccharin (Sweet & Low®) and aspartame (Equal® or Nutrasweet®), are not one and the same. One difference between the two types of sugar substitutes is that the artificial sweeteners contain zero calories whereas sugar alcohols contain about 2.6 calories per gram. Another issue is diabetes management. Artificial sweeteners do not contain carbohydrates so they do not cause blood sugar to elevate, whereas, sugar alcohols have some effect on blood sugar. Overall, both can be useful in diabetes management when used properly.

Forms of sugar alcohol

*Mannitol occurs naturally in pineapples, olives, asparagus, sweet potatoes and carrots. It is extracted from seaweed for use in food manufacturing. Mannitol has 50-70 percent of the relative sweetness of sugar, which means more must be used to equal the sweetness of sugar. Mannitol lingers in the intestines for a long time and therefore often causes bloating and diarrhea.
 *Sorbitol is found naturally in fruits and vegetables. It is manufactured from corn syrup. Sorbitol has only 50 percent of the relative sweetness of sugar which means twice as much must be used to deliver a similar amount of sweetness to a product. It has less of a tendency to cause diarrhea compared to mannitol. It is often an ingredient in sugar-free gums and candies.
 *Xylitol is also called "wood sugar" and occurs naturally in straw, corncobs, fruit, vegetables, cereals, mushrooms and some cereals. Xylitol has the same relative sweetness as sugar. It is found in chewing gums.
 *Lactitol has about 30-40 percent of sugar's sweetening power, but its taste and solubility profile resembles sugar so it is often found in sugar-free ice cream, chocolate, hard and soft candies, baked goods, sugar-reduced preserves and chewing gums.
 *Isomalt is 45 - 65 percent as sweet as sugar and does not tend to lose its sweetness or break down during the heating process. Isomalt absorbs little water, so it is often used in hard candies, toffee, cough drops and lollipops.
 *Maltitol is 75 percent as sweet as sugar. It is used in sugar-free hard candies, chewing gum, chocolate-flavored desserts, baked goods and ice cream because it gives a creamy texture to foods.
 *Hydrogenated starch hydrolysates (HSH) are produced by the partial hydrolysis of corn. HSH are nutritive sweeteners that provide 40 - 90 percent of the sweetness of sugar. HSH do not crystallize and are used extensively in confections, baked goods and mouthwashes.
:D Weee