Author Topic: Taser gun can cause deaths...  (Read 3653 times)

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Taser gun can cause deaths...
« on: August 10, 2006, 01:54:21 PM »
Examples of taser gun death...

An eighth fatality has been linked to the Taser electric stun gun. A Nevada coroner says shocks from a Taser contributed to the death of 29-year-old Jacob Lair during a struggle with authorities.

Thousands of police departments buy Tasers on a claim that the electric stun guns will instantly take down suspects without inflicting harm. That assertion of safety has generated record sales for Taser International Inc., which markets its guns as alternatives to deadly force and says its goal is to arm every police officer in America.

But an Arizona Republic investigation has revealed that Taser's claims are based on autopsy reports the company never possessed. For years, Taser officials cited these reports as proof that the stun guns never caused "injury or death to another human being." Now, officials acknowledge they never had those autopsy reports and didn't start collecting them until April.

The Republic's review of autopsies and interviews with medical examiners found Tasers have been linked to at least five deaths. Medical examiners in three cases involving suspects who died in police custody cited Tasers as a cause or a contributing factor in the deaths. In two other cases, Tasers could not be ruled out as a cause of death.

These deaths raise questions about a weapon police routinely use on those who refuse to obey commands. Kelly Deitrich, whose brother, Raymond Siegler, died in February after being shot by police with a Taser in a Minneapolis group home for mentally ill people, said Taser's explanations are misleading. "That is the polite way to say it," she says. "The other way to say it is they are full of you-know-what."

So many other examples also...

Taser Gun Causes Death

The Cook County (Chicago) medical examiner's office ruled on Friday that a 54-year-old man died as a result of a five-second and then 57-second electrical shock from a Taser. The "primary cause of Hasse's death was electrocution" and the secondary cause of death was methamphetamine. Taser contends its devices are "non-lethal." Amnesty International has determined 129 people died after "electro-shock" from Tasers between June 2001 and July 15 2005. Approximately 7,000 police agencies use Tasers; lawyers filed a class action lawsuit against Taser in Chicago last week. Local, state or federal legislation is sure to follow. 

BigPopa

Re: Taser gun can cause deaths...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 08:29:05 AM »
Here is the problem with this bullshit, I was hit with a taser when certified to carry one not once but twice in the same day and I am still alive.  It works off of high voltage, low amps.  If anyone knew what the hell they were talking about then they would know when dealing with electricity it is the amps that kill you and this weapon does not carry enough amps to kill anyone.  Also, everytime you hear of a death associated with a taser it always has an underlying cause, i.e. meth, hit head on curb, cocain, etc...  I don't know of one single instance where even the coroner can say that the only thing that a subject had was the low amps that killed him.  BULLSHIT, it is valuable tool in the force continuem.  See ya.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 01:46:03 PM »
.1 amps is enough to kill a human

BigPopa

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 05:46:43 PM »
Please tell me you are joking.  First off, the people that put this wonderful weapon together are alot smarter than anyone of us and they didn't think so.  Secondly, I am sitting right next to an electrical engineer and he is laughing at that statement as well.  He says not to touch your tongue to a 9volt battery, it could kill you.  LOL.  See ya.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 11:16:04 AM »
see ya

Jayhawk

• Getbig II
  • The Heavy Metal Jayhawk
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 08:02:47 PM »
Eight deaths? We can argue that 8 is 8 too many for a "non-lethal" device. But how many times has a Taser been used without death? Half a million? One million? Lets face it...anything less than one death per 100,000 uses is pretty safe. A nightstick is "non-lethal" too, but if you crack someone just right, they could die from that too.

Jayhawk

LAW DOG

• Getbig I
  • thqat which don't you only make you stronger.USMC
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 09:49:44 PM »
I also carry a tazer and have been hit with it, and pepper spray. I'll ride the lighting before I will get sprayed again. anything could kill you, accident can happen with anything.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 07:47:41 AM »
In the Grand Jury transcripts, I believe they said that the taser was fired 6 times in about a 4-6 minute time.  The time was stamped in the taser when the trigger was pulled each time, and dots were dispersed arount the house.  Maybe 1 shot can't kill ya easily, but this doesn't seem like a routine stunning.  My theory is, as crazy as it sounds, is that they tried to restart her heart with this thing when they noticed her heart stopped, whether it be from the morphine or asphyxiation.  Now that seems crazy as I said, but look at thier state of mind at the time. 
Most are all show no go!

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 09:32:16 AM »
In the Grand Jury transcripts, I believe they said that the taser was fired 6 times in about a 4-6 minute time.  The time was stamped in the taser when the trigger was pulled each time, and dots were dispersed arount the house.  Maybe 1 shot can't kill ya easily, but this doesn't seem like a routine stunning.  My theory is, as crazy as it sounds, is that they tried to restart her heart with this thing when they noticed her heart stopped, whether it be from the morphine or asphyxiation.  Now that seems crazy as I said, but look at thier state of mind at the time. 

ok.  due to they're drug addiction they are not guilty.  is that the state of mind you suggest?

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 10:12:11 AM »

are you on their defence team by any chance.

somehow i think that aint gunna fly.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 10:36:33 AM »
No I'm not on the defense team, and I didn't say they didn't murder her, but for some reason why a 220lb man would stun or need to stun a petite woman is beyond my comprehension.  and 6 times at that. 
Most are all show no go!

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 11:09:12 AM »
because he's a spineless piece of shit and wanted to make sure she couldn't defend herself before he did it.