Author Topic: Worst Advice You Ever Got from Smarter than Thou Trainers/People  (Read 2053 times)

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
I am happy to take constructive advice about my training and have received some good pointers but....

Yesterday I was doing triceps pushdowns with my lifting partner using very respectable weight and this woman came by to "tell me something."  She proceeded to say she was a trainer (somewhere else thank God!) and critiqued my form (which BTW was perfect--LOL).

She did her little demo, and it was clear she is obviously misguided (or just stupid) since her way which she said was best for women, stresses the wrists and back. I listened and tried several reps, but then quickly turned up my IPOD and moved on. ARRGH!

What was the worst advice any of you have received over the years from those "smarter than thou" people who just can't seem to concentrate on their workouts, and have to watch yours?

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
Re: Worst Advice You Ever Got from Smarter than Thou Trainers/People
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 11:20:45 AM »
two that stick out both from "trainers"

once while doing rehab on my lower back from two herniated disks I was doing hypers being carefull about my bend as I was really trying to get some blood flow into the area and had a "female trainer" tell me 1 I was doing it incorrect without asking why I was reducing my range of motion and 2 that I need to try some weight with the exercise...really at least first ask someone why before you start telling them to do it some other way.

2nd I was finishing up squatting in the power cage when one of the helpful trainers suggested I should stop squatting because he thought it was bad on your knees and back and nobody should go lower then 1/4 to 1/2 reps as it strains them to much and its better to do...higher reps and less weight with a leg press for that nice toned look...

its one of my pet peeves unless I stick my paw in the air and ask do not come up and try to help..even if I'm on fire just let me burn.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 11:27:59 AM »
A trainer asked me if I wanted to know what I was doing wrong...i said " Im talking to you"
L

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 02:49:12 AM »
If you train very heavy, you will get very big,
you have to prevent it by doing more reps instead of going heavier

I heard her and gave her the look.
That was the last time she came nearby.

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 11:30:35 AM »
One guy told me when doing deadlifts I should bend my knees to the point of them being about level with the bar.  He then proceeded to tell me that deads were meant to work more legs than back.  I don't take anybodies advice seriously, I learn from videos from pros or read weight training books that have good diagrams with instruction to get the concept.

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 12:01:44 PM »
the gym asshole told me i was traing my neck wrong.

i said im training my traps (upright rows) he then says yor going to heavy I only use --insert weight-- i say well im not training like you and my form is fine.

he says no you have to have your hands together and that your feet have to be almost as wide apart as possible!!

I fucking hate that bloke whenever he is about interupting peoples sets all you can hear is "fuck off mate" or "what the fuck now".

he is one of those gimps who has to engage in conversation with every gym member if possible instead of training

why oh why docyou think people feel it necessary to "give free advice!"

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 12:52:26 PM »
an ulgy, out of shape female trainer, telling me that i shouldnt do behind the neck pulldowns but should do front pulldowns only.

R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 11:19:16 AM »
A trainer at my gym noticed my workouts and one day came up to me asking if he could workout with me once in ahwile I said sure.  He did front delt raises and lateral raises everday of the week.  I was like uhhh arent you overtraining.  He didnt listen to me and his shoulders are shit and is still doing the same thing.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 01:51:57 PM »
Lol, a female who took my K-Box class said that I was doing entirely too many squats and lunges in the class. When I asked why she thought it was too much, she replied that there was a lot of lactic acid build up in her quads! Duh! She looked anorexic BTW!

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 03:10:17 PM »
A trainer asked me if I wanted to know what I was doing wrong...i said " Im talking to you"
HAHA! yeah no doubt!
bodybuildersreality.com