Author Topic: Will deadlifts give me a gut?  (Read 2150 times)

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
Will deadlifts give me a gut?
« on: August 30, 2006, 02:33:53 AM »
I deadlift almost every back workout (down to4rep sets), I also do heavy squats (down to 5 reps sets).

I am paranoid this will grow my lower waist.  My upper abs are fairly well defined but my lower abs and the muscles down the side at the bottom are not (I'm paranoid they're too large, making my waist look bigger), could this be due to heavy movements?
It hasn't helped...

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: Will deadlifts give me a gut?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 10:48:19 AM »
Vic Martinez, Dex jackson. they all deadlift too. I don't think they make your waist bigger.
bodybuildersreality.com

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 02:57:27 PM »
NO.  Being fat will. ;D

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 05:30:46 PM »
DL's can give an extremely musculer core structure of 360 degrees around the mid-section. And when including serious heavy ab work, an even more impressive and strong mid-section. Fat (a gut) is just that, fat. You will get that from daily intense over eating workouts of too many not needed calories.

If you work the DL with serious intent, than you will achieve a very well developed upper body, including a wide muscular back. Which in return will make your waist look even smaller. So DL's are a win win situation. Good Luck.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 01:41:40 PM »
your lower back muscles will be more developed which will add a little size to your waist, but you will still look more impressive overall assuming you aren't carrying extra fat. The reason you can see your upper abs more than your lower abs is because that's where abdominal fat first begins to accumulate. As was said before, Johnnie Jackson is one of the strongest deadlifters in the IFBB and has one of the best backs and midsections on stage. Franco Columbo was another extremely strong deadlifter who had a small waist and great abs not to mention his back.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 01:46:16 PM »
DL's can give an extremely musculer core structure of 360 degrees around the mid-section.
I did deads yesterday and today my abs are sorer then they have ever been. Not sure why there so sore, I've been doing deads for a long time, and never had that happen to this extent. I dind't go heavier then normal or anything like that, so I'm not sure what caused this.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 01:53:02 PM »
I've felt that too from time to time.  You might have overstretched your abs or something or just tensed them alot during the movement.
I'd say that makes alot of sense. Its amazing how much you use your abs in even an arm workout.
bodybuildersreality.com

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 02:26:14 PM »
Don't worry about deads and abs. Worry about your ass size instead doing dls.!
just push some weight!