Author Topic: IS SLEEP OVERRATED?  (Read 6756 times)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
IS SLEEP OVERRATED?
« on: August 30, 2006, 07:08:54 PM »
So many bodybuilders think that you need at least 10-12 hours of sleep a night for a muscle to hypertrophy and even need a nap before a workout but truth is it ain't so. Researchers have found that those who sleep an average of 7 hours a night outlive those that sleep less or more. We all know that Ronnie Coleman was a fulltime cup and Olympia champion at the same time. He only slept for 6 hours a night and somehow managed to build the biggest most muscular physique. Quality of the sleep is most important. Just like quality of the rep is more important than the set or the exercise.
just push some weight!

HowDog

• Getbig II
Re: IS SLEEP OVERRATED?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 07:13:30 PM »
Your exactly right, sleep is bullshit, Arnold was known for having 4-5 hrs of sleep/nite due having things to do.  I remember in college in the 1997 having friends practically sleep all day, eat and train and end up with piss poor GPAs, hardly any muscle (natty) and being real lazy.    What guys would do to get big all because Don Long said he slept 12 hrs a day, oh well

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 07:14:43 PM »
Your exactly right, sleep is bullshit, Arnold was known for having 4-5 hrs of sleep/nite due having things to do.  I remember in college in the 1997 having friends practically sleep all day, eat and train and end up with piss poor GPAs, hardly any muscle (natty) and being real lazy.    What guys would do to get big all because Don Long said he slept 12 hrs a day, oh well

haha or Flex Wheeler's 16 hours a day. Did that make his chest any bigger?
just push some weight!

the choad

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • King Of All Meltdowns
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 07:16:34 PM »
Alex you have a lot to learn my son...My fee is only 1/2 of 1/10th of what Milos Sarcev charges per hour...I believe you have the genetic structure and work ethic to improve, you just don't have the knowledge and chemical wizardry to get you there..PM me for consultation advice..

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 07:18:19 PM »
Alex you have a lot to learn my son...My fee is only 1/2 of 1/10th of what Milos Sarcev charges per hour...I believe you have the genetic structure and work ethic to improve, you just don't have the knowledge and chemical wizardry to get you there..PM me for consultation advice..

If I ever decide to turn myself into a walking grocery store, you will be the first person I'll ask.
just push some weight!

the choad

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • King Of All Meltdowns
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 07:20:09 PM »
If I ever decide to turn myself into a walking grocery store, you will be the first person I'll ask.

Alex the first week will be free....You will just need to tell me waht your goal is, and an example of your daily diet...

the choad

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • King Of All Meltdowns
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 07:21:10 PM »
Anyone say say fucking "GHB" muthafuckaz..

Slick Vic

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 07:36:44 PM »

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 07:44:18 PM »
just push some weight!

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 07:49:22 PM »

from 2002 i believe, when he competed in the O, supposedly as a "natural." 

alexxx is talking shit on flex wheeler, hahhahah, what a stupid russian retard!!!!!!  gayer than fabric softener
its comin today

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 07:50:32 PM »

Impossible, maybe a couple of times per month due to exhaution but not every day. How can one have any kind of life and sleep for more than 10 hours? too much stuff to do
Here comes the money shot

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 07:52:25 PM »

Impossible, maybe a couple of times per month due to exhaution but not every day. How can one have any kind of life and sleep for more than 10 hours? too much stuff to do

Agreed, there shouldn't be a need for more than maybe 9 hours a night. Any more than that, and one might be depressed.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 07:55:49 PM »
from 2002 i believe, when he competed in the O, supposedly as a "natural." 

alexxx is talking shit on flex wheeler, hahhahah, what a stupid russian retard!!!!!!  gayer than fabric softener

I think Flex is the top 3 bodybuilder of all time but that doesn't fix his laggin chest/back.
just push some weight!

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 08:12:39 PM »
So many bodybuilders think that you need at least 10-12 hours of sleep a night for a muscle to hypertrophy and even need a nap before a workout but truth is it ain't so. Researchers have found that those who sleep an average of 7 hours a night outlive those that sleep less or more. We all know that Ronnie Coleman was a fulltime cup and Olympia champion at the same time. He only slept for 6 hours a night and somehow managed to build the biggest most muscular physique. Quality of the sleep is most important. Just like quality of the rep is more important than the set or the exercise.
Researchers have found that those who sleep an average of 7 hours a night outlive those that sleep less or more.
So what your saying is that to maximize the benefit of sleep to its potential you have to get seven hours of sleep every night, no more and no less?? eight hours is detrimental and seven is beneficial? how did they come up with that?

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 08:15:22 PM »
Some people have also said the same thing about low fat diets and rodents and then extrapolating the studies into human terms. The problem is that the DNA repair enzymes in rodents are notoriously poor in so far as accuracy is concerned relative to those in humans, so comparisons about things like that are absurd. How this "study" about sleep was conducted, I can guarantee you wasn't done with humans. However, if it was, I can't imagine trying to run something like that as humans just live too long and there are too many other factors that could skew the results.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 08:26:51 PM »
I sleep 18-20 hours a day and I'm freakin' huge. 245 lbs. 22 inch arms. 57 inch chest. 28 inch waist. All at 6% BF. I have a book out called "Sleep and Get Huge and Ripped" that is currently #748 on Amazon.com.
I also have a book called "Get Rich While You Sleep" that I charge people $14.99 for. I usually sell about 20 books a day on Amazon.com. That brings me about $300/day while I'm sleeping.
When I'm awake, I do things like work out, eat chicken breasts, do cardio, and count my money.
Life is good.

Special "Self-Made Millionaire" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 08:28:22 PM »
Unfortunately, sleep is not over-rated.
I say unfortunately, because I have always been one to believe that sleep is a gigantic waste of time.

I used to be proud of myself in my 20's on how I was able to accomplish so much and only get 3 to 5 hours of sleep about 4 or 5 days a week.

I even remember reading a book entitled, "Sleep less, live more" !!!
I remember reading about a lady who only needed 45 minutes of sleep every night, many tests were done on her, but it was all her body needed, as she had no ill effects or symptoms. I bring her up only because it is a curious anomaly, a freak of nature to be sure.

What I have learned over the years----from personal experience and from reading much on the subject, is that .... YOU CAN'T CHEAT SLEEP, BABY !!!

It is what it is. It is the way our bodies are made, we still dont fully understand the effects of sleep on our bodies, but we know for sure that we need to get enough sleep to maintain our bodies and mind the way nature intended it to be.

Yeah, I know all about stories about those who get 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night etc. etc.

Most of us can do that for periods of time, but it catches up with us. You cant keep it up.

I dont want to type all night, but the bottom line is, most of us need 7 to 8 hours of sleep in order to function properly.

It is what it is. A necessary evil, in my opinion. Nothing we can do about it.

Besides, who likes to go around all day feeling tired ? Its a lousy feeling. Get your sleep !!!!!!! :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2006, 08:37:51 PM »
II usually sell about 20 books a day on Amazon.com.

That brings me about $300/day while I'm sleeping.

Did you say $300?

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2006, 08:39:06 PM »

Did you say $300?

Why? Nobody can buy anything good for $300. Or can they? :o

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 08:43:49 PM »
Why? Nobody can buy anything good for $300. Or can they? :o

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 09:06:13 PM »
If Flex was the best ever he'd have won a Mr. Olympia.
$

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 09:46:26 PM »
The thing with sleep is if you sleep to much you require more , the body goes into a hibernation state and starts to slow and your metabolic rate declines etc, at the time of competting i found once my body fat levels got really low 5-3 % i found i required less sleep to function , i would normally only get 5 hrs a night and would feel fine , but normally i would need 7 -8 hours to feel OK , the ability to nap during the afternoon was a great way of having good recovery , but i needed only 1 hour at this time as if i went for more i was sluggish and lethargic for the rest of the day !!!

ReEvolution

• Getbig III
  • goodbye ronnie
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 10:43:05 PM »
sleep is overrated....just like air and water.
two thumbs WAY up!!!

Slick Vic

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 12:24:50 PM »
I think Flex is the top 3 2 bodybuilder of all time

There.... I fixed it for you.  ;D

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 12:30:35 PM »
There.... I fixed it for you.  ;D