Author Topic: wider the grip the less the strength?  (Read 1159 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
wider the grip the less the strength?
« on: August 31, 2006, 03:58:30 PM »
i'm having hell with grip width when doing back work lately...since a wider grip is weaker for me should I continue with it and build it up or keep the grip i'm accustomed to and keep pounding the whole stack? like seated cable rows for instance..

i can blast the whole stack with ease with the narrow grip...but with the wide grip handle pulling straight back i hafta drop 60lbs off of it to get the same amount of reps and sets.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: wider the grip the less the strength?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 04:17:32 PM »
What matters most is how the exercise effects the desired area; use the grip the works the area best; also try close-grip. Typically the wider the grip the less the involvement of other secondary muscles, so less weight will be used.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 04:21:50 PM »
I always change my grips throughout the workout so its never a problem for me...sometimes i'll do cable rows with an underhand grip then the next excersise will be barbell rows with an overhand grip.
bodybuildersreality.com

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 05:01:53 PM »
Your going to recuit more of the biceps with a narrow or even average  grip. Which in turn affects the strength of the pull. A wider grip call's upon more of the actually back/lat/rear delts. Might want to consider the good advice of Jr. Yates and change grip positions throughout a workout. Good Luck.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 11:50:06 AM »
Your going to recuit more of the biceps with a narrow or even average  grip. Which in turn affects the strength of the pull. A wider grip call's upon more of the actually back/lat/rear delts. Might want to consider the good advice of Jr. Yates and change grip positions throughout a workout. Good Luck.
;)
bodybuildersreality.com