Author Topic: Peter McGough banning MD from the O!  (Read 13207 times)

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: McGough Banning MD from the O?
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2006, 06:29:46 PM »
I think I understand.

It's just that I believe that stuff like press passes and shit are holy and not to be messed with.

No free dinners or shit like that, no freebies, but the usual press passes should be available for all press in some form.

They may not be able to get the number of journalists into the event they want, but limiting or banishing altogether as a means of warfare, I just don't like that.

There are other ways.

And no, I don't think it's about penalizing MD for supporting PDI. I just think it's a personal beef.

YIP
Zack

You're right! It is personal. A bunch of name callin - FROM BOTH SIDES - and now the boys at AMI are so concerned about what MD is going to say they try to lock them out of the show.  Stupid.  Like it is going to stop MD from being critical of Flex or its employees?  Pussies.

getfast81

• Getbig III
  • Borat is for the weak................
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2006, 06:30:45 PM »
Peter's own comments from his PBBW show: "I've often been asked why I don't reply to MD, there's a few reasons: First I don't think the readers are interested.  They don't pay money to see magazine editors blasting each other. Secondly, their level of criticism is so in the gutter & personal that I wouldn't reply and give it credibility. For Flex to respond would be like Ronnie Coleman taking time to fire back at criticism from Mr. North Iowa....and fourth, it annoys the hell out of them to not respond.  There's no feud"
So what happened to that way of thinking?  What happened to the so called high road?
So because David Pecker has his feelings hurt Flex decides to climb off its mountain and revoke Mr North Iowa's press pass.
Exactly what the hell Im saying.
Truly STOP WHINING

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2006, 06:33:04 PM »
Chick, I know you're the athlete's rep and only have the athletes best interests in mind.

Do you feel that only allowing one magazine to interview and photograph them backstage wil limit some guys' earning potential?

I only ask because FLEX doesn't interview guys who are endorsed by MD, right?  There are going to be ten men backstage who will receive near zero coverage.  With supplement companies vying for the guys who get the most exposure, being an MD athlete can hurt a lot of athletes pocketbooks this year.

If they request it, will you be filing a petition on behalf of the 10+ MD guys at the O to have this ruling reversed so that IFBB athletes can earn the most money possible?

There will be many magazines there, interviewing competitors, etc.

Comments backstage, on the show, placings, etc....do not fall under the "exclusivity" clause to contracted athletes.

MD can cover all they want, take all the pictures they want...they just have lost the best seats.

BTW...I'm sure it was a decision made by AMI/ Pecker.

shutupandtrain88

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2006, 06:37:28 PM »
You mean they'll lesson the bashing, mocking, and malicious "reporting"...that seems to be the reason they're getting revoked in the first place?

I'm sure AMI is saying, "Don't do us any favors..."

Writing an opinion on the show is one thing...taking personal shots at McGough,etc. is clearly over the line

you have blatantly shown where your true intentions lie, and they are not with the athlete, ole athlete's rep.  this is one less chance for the athletes to be represented in a worldwide publication and as athlete's rep you should be furious.  you gave up quite a bit to get your win at the masters it appears.  step down let someone else be the athlete's rep, they don't need someone so dedicated to the company and ami any longer.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2006, 06:41:34 PM »
you have blatantly shown where your true intentions lie, and they are not with the athlete, ole athlete's rep.  this is one less chance for the athletes to be represented in a worldwide publication and as athlete's rep you should be furious.  you gave up quite a bit to get your win at the masters it appears.  step down let someone else be the athlete's rep, they don't need someone so dedicated to the company and ami any longer.

You mean, they are banned from taking pictures? Or writing articles?

You've blatenly shown you know nothing about this subject, please... don't post anymore on the matter.

Thanks

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2006, 06:42:34 PM »
There will be many magazines there, interviewing competitors, etc.

Which ones?

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2006, 06:44:14 PM »

Come on, bro, Chick is just doing his job.  Sort of.  It would be nice if he didn't just take what AMI/Weider/McGough say as gospel and bother to check his facts.  He would see that McGough started the whole thing long, long ago.  I remember his bashing Romano for having his leg in a cast.  Just one of many shots McGough took at MD and/or their people. If McGough has such thin skin he shouldn't have started in with them.

scribbler

• Getbig II
  • whatever
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2006, 06:46:41 PM »
Chick, I know you're the athlete's rep and only have the athletes best interests in mind.

Do you feel that only allowing one magazine to interview and photograph them backstage wil limit some guys' earning potential?

I only ask because FLEX doesn't interview guys who are endorsed by MD, right?  There are going to be ten men backstage who will receive near zero coverage.  With supplement companies vying for the guys who get the most exposure, being an MD athlete can hurt a lot of athletes pocketbooks this year.

If they request it, will you be filing a petition on behalf of the 10+ MD guys at the O to have this ruling reversed so that IFBB athletes can earn the most money possible?

Actually-only 2 MD athletes are off limits to the other mags...Lee Priest and Dexter Jackson. The others are interviewed by FLEX on a pretty regular basis, and many have been on our covers this past year.

C
CD
M&F & FLEX

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2006, 06:50:26 PM »
Which ones?

Ironman, MuscleMag Int, Planet muscle, all the foriegn mags, Bodybuilding.com, Muscletime.com, etc

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2006, 06:54:56 PM »
Actually-only 2 MD athletes are off limits to the other mags...Lee Priest and Dexter Jackson. The others are interviewed by FLEX on a pretty regular basis, and many have been on our covers this past year.

ah gotcha.  in that case, since they're two of the top guys in the sport, I think MD should have access to them.

I completely understand the position of AMI - they can give out tickets and seats to anyone that they want.  but they have to be careful not to be penny-wise, pound foolish.  There could be some really bad longterm effects of this.  

Aside from the fact the athletes will receive less exposure, it might lead to more restrictive MD contracts.  Suppose MD starts paying more but saying guys cannot do the O.  All of a sudden, the O becomes the FLEX show of the year and the Arnold becomes the MD show of the year.  See how this could get ugly really fast?  Fans who can only make one trip are gonna resent someone for this.

My solution (and everyone has one, I know) would be to make them buy their own seats, allow them access to backstage areas, and above all, call off the public dogs.  It's amateur hour taking shots at each other in public like this.  If I was a shareholder in any way of American media I'd be on the phone telling Pecker to tell his people to stop acting like middle schoolers having a myspace spat.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2006, 06:58:08 PM »
ah gotcha.  in that case, since they're two of the top guys in the sport, I think MD should have access to them.

They do have access to them, they're under contract to MD
Please try to keep up ;D

TN

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2006, 06:59:59 PM »

I completely understand the position of AMI - they can give out tickets and seats to anyone that they want.  but they have to be careful not to be penny-wise, pound foolish.  There could be some really bad longterm effects of this.  

Aside from the fact the athletes will receive less exposure, it might lead to more restrictive MD contracts.  Suppose MD starts paying more but saying guys cannot do the O.  All of a sudden, the O becomes the FLEX show of the year and the Arnold becomes the MD show of the year.  See how this could get ugly really fast?  Fans who can only make one trip are gonna resent someone for this.

My solution (and everyone has one, I know) would be to make them buy their own seats, allow them access to backstage areas, and above all, call off the public dogs.  It's amateur hour taking shots at each other in public like this.  If I was a shareholder in any way of American media I'd be on the phone telling Pecker to tell his people to stop acting like middle schoolers having a myspace spat.

Agreed.....seems like one big pissing match...time to act like business men

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2006, 07:00:31 PM »
So if MD cares so much about Bodybuilding why don't they promote their own contest and really show some support?

Basically Romano and his big mouth screwed up. 
Touting second hand information and convicting others with only one side of the story (with second hand information) is best left up to Nancy Grace.
Just Bad Bad Blood!

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2006, 07:04:03 PM »
It's amateur hour taking shots at each other in public like this.

No kidding!  Just goes to show how everything bodybuilding touches is amateurish and second-rate.

If I was a shareholder in any way of American media I'd be on the phone telling Pecker to tell his people to stop acting like middle schoolers having a myspace spat.

If I was a major shareholder, I'd want somebody's head on a platter...  could you see General Electric or Exxon acting like this?
Ron: "I am lazy."

DragonsBreath

• Getbig III
  • Been to Hell and back! NEXT!
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2006, 07:05:56 PM »
Look, McGough and Chang run the Olympia? No wonder why it's so poor?!

Have any of you ever seen Chang? he is a little china man that without a doubt has never lifted a weight in his life. What the hell does he know or care what the athletes bodybuilders need? It's just a "business" to these people. And McGough? Well, he looks like a fat alcoholic. he too has never lifted a weight in his life. Another so-called business man that knows nothing.

The Olympia sucks now. Probably from the poor organizing. Yeah, just like the challenge round......what a "success" that was?

FUCK him, FLEX mag and Chang. Wankers....!

shutupandtrain88

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2006, 07:06:50 PM »
You mean, they are banned from taking pictures? Or writing articles?

You've blatenly shown you know nothing about this subject, please... don't post anymore on the matter.

Thanks

Wow chic, i reread my post looking for the part where i said anything about them being banned but could'nt find it.  maybe you should read before firing off a comment.  and do i read censorship in your post on the horizon?  did I write something too close to the truth?

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2006, 07:08:02 PM »
No kidding!  Just goes to show how everything bodybuilding touches is amateurish and second-rate.

If I was a major shareholder, I'd want somebody's head on a platter...  could you see General Electric or Exxon acting like this?

Restricting the competition from gaining access to top pictures, interviews and all the back stage circus is supposed to have a negative effect on shareholders of AMI  ??? ???

Seems to me to be the opposite, AMI mags now have another reasons to be purchased over MD.

Good thing your not managing my portfolio.
Just Bad Bad Blood!

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2006, 07:09:00 PM »

They can ask questions...We'l be letting the FANS ask a few questions throughout the press conference... ;D

MD brought this on themselves, and have no one to point the finger at, or complain for that matter...

Oh Chic please.Could you imagine USA today putting on a show and the LA TIMES saying some negative things about USA today.Then USA today stopping the LA Times from coming in to report on it.MMMM LAW SUIT.Nothing like soilders dying overseas for our FREEDOM here. So is Steve Weinberger not allowed to judge as in the MD he stated AMI should get out of the Olympia? just asking.

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2006, 07:12:12 PM »
Oh Chic please.Could you imagine USA today putting on a show and the LA TIMES saying some negative things about USA today.Then USA today stopping the LA Times from coming in to report on it.MMMM LAW SUIT.Nothing like soilders dying overseas for our FREEDOM here.

Nobody is stopping MD from attending, writing, taking pictures, interviewing or anything.
They are not getting press passes so their job will become more difficult or they will have to rely on freelance writers and photographers.  Nice way to help the little guys who support the sport with a few bucks.

Lift should give Blechman a call.  He might actually make some good coin and MD would still have some quality pictures to print.
Just Bad Bad Blood!

dknole

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2006, 07:52:24 PM »

They can ask questions...We'l be letting the FANS ask a few questions throughout the press conference... ;D

MD brought this on themselves, and have no one to point the finger at, or complain for that matter...

Chick,

I thought that you were the BB Athlete's rep, not the AMI/Flex Rep?

What is funny is that MD employs (pays monthly) more Pro BB than either Flex or MnF, so in a way, you should be promoting MD and asking Steve Blechman or John Romona about the issue and not trolling on the internet. This sure makes you appear to be a friggen ass kisser to AMI/Flex. You also miss the bigger picture that the more magazines that cover the O, the better it is for the athletes and opportunities for more people to see them and potentially give them some sort of business.

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2006, 08:46:48 PM »
So if MD cares so much about Bodybuilding why don't they promote their own contest and really show some support?

Maybe they will ;)

suckmymuscle

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2006, 09:13:18 PM »
First off, their not banned from the O, they simply wont be getting press passes. Getting press passes for the Olympia is not a right, it's a privilege...If MD has the right via free speech, to bash on FLEX, Weider, McGough, Pecker, and Chang all year long...then AMI certainly has the right via free speech....to revoke their press passes.

We aren't talking about a single article, or comment...it's been a continuous barage year after year.

There are ramifications that come with the "being a rebel" gig...

I agree with you. Too many years blindely criticizing the I.F.B.B and Weider with you no content. Too much hatred. Romano, in particular, has got to be the greatest asshole in bodybuilding...well, after Shawn Ray. He even takes the cake over Bill Phillips, who spent the entire 1990s saying how pro bodybuilding was all about drugs and bad-mouthing the Olympia in particular. Fuck MD and MuscleMag: two worst bodybuilding mags. FLEX and Ironmen are much better.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

lonewolf

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »
As the athletes rep Chick should be screamimg for the most exposure for the group he represents and that includes access to all areas of the competition. Of course he'll rationalize his response. His duty is to the athletes not to any paticular publication or be politically influenced by who is going to give HIM the greatest exposure

HRDCOR

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2006, 05:51:39 PM »
I write for MMI and have done work for MD as well, and to me this seems like AMI are starting to feel the pinch at the magazine retail end of the spectrem, I dont now about sale figures in the US but down under MD and MMI are the biggest selling mags in there class, which was once the domain of Flex and M&F is now that of MD and MMI, if this said despute has been going on for some time one has to ask why wasnt it acted upon earlier, I wrote a piece on the behinds the scenes look at the O (last year)and also a piece on the state of womens bodybuilding from the O and both MD and MMI didnt use it as they thought it was just a little to scathing of the situations as a whole , so this move on AMI,s behalf has to be personal at some level , and in business personal means money !!

Pazuzu

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2006, 06:00:19 PM »
I was contacted to work on the TV/DVD production and webcast, since I did that type of work for almost 8 years with the ESPN American Muscle show and the event coverage we did many times for the Olympias, Arnold, USA, etc. My old boss wanted to bring me out of retirement to help out with directing an ENG camera crew. I probably would have been helping out with backstage interviews and the stuff that went on live on the Jumbotron to the audience.

We (my old boss and I) agreed on a rate and other terms, but suddenly he was told from someone at Weider/AMI that I was not welcome on his crew as I was a writer for MD. Never mind the fact that I also write for Musclemag, Ironman, and REPS. And I have never said a single bad thing about Peter McGough or Robin Chang. In fact, Robin and I worked together for four or five years in the same office for that same boss and I still consider him a friend.

Pretty silly, isn't it?

No loss - I don't really miss TV production - LONG, LONG hours and impossible to get your meals in every 2-3 hours. The lifestyle of a freelance writer is much better for me.