Author Topic: width of grip on barbell rows?  (Read 1765 times)

pobrecito

• Getbig V
width of grip on barbell rows?
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:11:05 PM »
Usually I put my hands with my index finger on the inner most part of the rough part of the bar. Would I be better served to widen my grip?

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: width of grip on barbell rows?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 08:24:55 PM »
it depends on what part of your you want to focus on. but personally, i do a  lil wider then shoulder width

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:41:29 PM »
it depends on what part of your you want to focus on. but personally, i do a  lil wider then shoulder width

I was under the impression the width of the grip didn't matter, and just choose what is most comfortable for you....just like the myth on pulldowns, "the wider the grip the wider your back"

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 08:54:08 PM »
I switched to a narrower grip a couple of months ago, I tried it after noticing that Dorian's grip in his Blood and Guts video was much narrower than mine and his form looked perfect. I ended up liking it alot more. It's more comfortable to me and I feel the movement more.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »
Yes, I feel my barbell rows a lot in my back. I was simply wondering if widening my grip at all would have any benefits. I will try a wider grip on my warmup set next time

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 01:42:28 AM »
I was under the impression the width of the grip didn't matter, and just choose what is most comfortable for you....just like the myth on pulldowns, "the wider the grip the wider your back"
Cause it is a myth,
the wider the grip, the smaller the ROM, what makes a certain motion ineffective, basic mathematics. Comfortable is better, which leaves enough space to experiment.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 02:57:49 AM »

i think you're absolutely right... plus  a wider grp reduces the range of motion

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 03:58:45 PM »
i used to use a grip to close and it would be hard to balance. i use a grip that is a lil closer in than the ring so wide but not as wide as for shoulder pressing or benching

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 04:02:46 PM »
exactly right, do whats comfortable the width doesn't matter a whole lot, do both in the same workout from time to time.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 04:27:42 PM »
Use whatever's both comfortable & what hits the lats better, on rows as well as chins/pulldowns. Doesn't have to be wide unless that works better.

I think T-bars are better than BB rows, in part because there's a wider variety of grips that can be used, such as a neutral palms facing in grip with a triangle attachment.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 04:01:54 AM »
i think genetics might be a factor too... i have very short arms... so a wide grip is useless... but for someone with monkey arms it might work well