Author Topic: yummy  (Read 1648 times)

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
yummy
« on: September 07, 2006, 10:57:41 PM »
OK so i mixed my protein shake and oatmeal in a blender ( more oatmeal than protein) and added hot water after blending i let it simmer on the stove for about15 min and it was the best tasting oatmeal i ever eaten  :D

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: yummy
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 10:39:15 AM »
OK so i mixed my protein shake and oatmeal in a blender ( more oatmeal than protein) and added hot water after blending i let it simmer on the stove for about15 min and it was the best tasting oatmeal i ever eaten  :D
I'll give it a shot. sounds good. what flavor Protien you use?
bodybuildersreality.com

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 12:17:13 PM »
vanilla but today im going to try strawberry

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 04:15:57 PM »
toss in some blueberries as well into that mixture for a great flavor and a blast of healthy anti-oxidents

Nathan Explosion

• Getbig II
  • Heavy weights and heavy metal
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 06:38:38 PM »
Another tasty thing you can try, sort of on the opposite end of the temperature spectrum, is adding some oats, peanut butter, milk, and protein powder (you can mess with the proportions a bit but don't add too much in the way of oats or it will won't blend so well) in a blender and making a slush out of them.  Put it in the freezer until it gets to an ice-cream like consistency... mmmm...

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 06:53:51 PM »

Not sure what temp. denatures the protein and reduces it's BV.  :-\

This doesn't quite apply...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1765592&dopt=Abstract
:

Nathan Explosion

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 09:33:07 AM »
A standard lab condition for denaturing proteins (at least in one I did research in) was to heat them at 65 degrees C (149 degrees F) for 20 min.

I don't really think it's going to hurt them if you simmer them.  Remember that proteins usually exist at physiological temperature, so you know you're safe if you're at or under 37 C (98.6 F).

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 10:17:16 AM »
A standard lab condition for denaturing proteins (at least in one I did research in) was to heat them at 65 degrees C (149 degrees F) for 20 min.

I don't really think it's going to hurt them if you simmer them.  Remember that proteins usually exist at physiological temperature, so you know you're safe if you're at or under 37 C (98.6 F).

Now THAT is what I call an informed post.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 11:33:22 AM »

Simmering (cooking) would be somewhere around 185 to  200 degrees F therefore negating much of the BV of the protein (from whey - a somewhat "delicate" protein) right?
:

Nathan Explosion

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 01:08:33 PM »
Heh, I guess you might say I know more about biochemistry than cooking  :P

I haven't read any literature on this particular subject, but what I know about protein digestion would lead me to believe that denaturation would be ok... think about it this way: you don't need the actual proteins in their native conformation, you need their constituent amino acids - I think you'd be sparing your body some work by breaking up some of the protein's structure.  Then again, I could be quite wrong.  Anyone got any other sources on this?

I read the abstract for the study below and noticed that their heating conditions were at 121 C - way above boiling and with sugar.  This is a bit different, so I'm not sure.