Author Topic: Where can I buy an adjustable bench?  (Read 1580 times)

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
Where can I buy an adjustable bench?
« on: September 30, 2006, 09:24:03 PM »
My work and the 20 minute commute to the gym, and the lack of Air Conditioning at the Friendswood Texas location has forced me to take things ( in house ).  I bought almost 300 lbs in standard 10lb weights, so I can load up some dumbells for my workouts.  Now I am looking for a good bench for flat dumbell presses and incline presses.  I want to buy the same kind they have at most gyms that sit in front of the dumbell racks.  The kind where the seat and back are both adjustable and they don't wobble .  If they had wheels on the back so I could roll them around that would be nice too but its not needed.  Anyone know where I can buy one like this?  I already checked Play it again sports, and they didn't have any.  I checked ebay too and no luck. Does anyone recommend any place in particular for something like this?

ozman

• Getbig IV

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
Re: Where can I buy an adjustable bench?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 05:32:30 PM »
Thanks, but I am looking for one where the seat and back are adjustable with those pull out pins. The same kind at 24 hour fitness. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 06:37:58 PM »
Thanks, but I am looking for one where the seat and back are adjustable with those pull out pins. The same kind at 24 hour fitness. 

did you think about asking them for their old benches?

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 09:39:02 PM »
Ha!!!  You think the 24 hour fitness I goto acutally buys new benches for its members?  The location I frequent is so cheep they turn off the AC from 11pm til 4 am. It gets so hot and humid in there, that it ruins your workout.  Plus I would say 80% of the cardio machines are not working 100%  Either the HR monitor doesn't work, or  they are off balance, and feel like they are falling apart.  Instead of building new locations they need to upgrade their equipment in the locations they already have, ohh yeah and they need to fire all the fat ASS personal trainers.  These are all additional reasons that I am building a gym in my house.  Now I just need to find some dumbell bars that can support 150 lbs. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 11:51:56 AM »
Ha!!!  You think the 24 hour fitness I goto acutally buys new benches for its members?  The location I frequent is so cheep they turn off the AC from 11pm til 4 am. It gets so hot and humid in there, that it ruins your workout.  Plus I would say 80% of the cardio machines are not working 100%  Either the HR monitor doesn't work, or  they are off balance, and feel like they are falling apart.  Instead of building new locations they need to upgrade their equipment in the locations they already have, ohh yeah and they need to fire all the fat ASS personal trainers.  These are all additional reasons that I am building a gym in my house.  Now I just need to find some dumbell bars that can support 150 lbs. 

hehe... well i have 4 homemade dumbbells that were made by a buddy of mine... he just welded them together and we balanced them using a bathroom scale.

ronian

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 05:17:46 PM »
I picked up one fthis one http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/59501.html, it's not bad but definitely not the same quality that you would get from a commercial gym.

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 06:46:01 PM »
does it come assembled? or do you have to put it together?  Does it wobble at all, or is it pretty stable?  I can see that the back is adjustable, is the seat adjustable too?  Does it also come with an leg extension / curl attachment?  How thick is the steal?  Looks pretty sturdy.  Definately something to consider.  Looks like they have free freight on it right now, awesome deal, they also sell the 18" dumbell handles I was looking for. Might be able to kill two birds with one stone. Thanks!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 08:44:09 PM »
NY Barbells is great value and generally well built. The machining of the parts won't be as good as most gym equipment nor will the pulleys be as smooth, but the equipment's definitely solid.

Same thing for a similar company Yukon:
http://www.yukon-fitness.com/Merchant2/

Another good source is Body Solid. Slightly more money but a little more refined IMO.
http://www.bodysolid.com/

Cap Barbell's great for dumbells, barbells, bars, cable attachments & accessories-they supply companies like Yukon and NY Barbells as well as many stores around the country. Better to call them for specific items given that the site's a little confusing:
http://www.capbarbell.com/products_template_commodity.htm

With bigger purchases or to get better prices, the best thing is to try to find local stores so that you (1) can try before buying, and (2) generally get lower prices, since there's no shipping cost. If the store doesn't stock the item they can often order it at little or no shipping charge.