Author Topic: Romney's take on the stimulus plan - CNN  (Read 6411 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Romney's take on the stimulus plan - CNN
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2009, 05:47:59 AM »
There are many people that would disagree with you.
Stating that the problem was the fact that there was over involvement by government in the first place, by having groups like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac provide loans to people that don't qualify.

You are also not looking back far enough demand side economics were really popular up until about 82 but these cause their own problems of discouraging growth and creating stagnant economies, this was the case in both England and the US.

The real solution is to use both vehicles on order to help the economy.

Also the fundamental underlying problem with all of this is that people aren't going to jail for fraud and no one is accountable for their actions. This has to change. Either through more government oversight in the economy, through a stronger regulatory body, or by bringing charges against the executives that over state their books instead of just letting, them correct them.

Exactly.

People need to understand that economies operate in cycles, so the policies which guide us must be adjusted as well.

At the end of the day, though, the one thing we should ALL agree on is the need for a smaller federal 'workforce'. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2009, 07:22:41 AM »
As a small-business owner, if I'm paying less to the IRS, then I have more to spend on my business, which means hiring more independent contractors, who will then pay taxes on their earnings while also spending their money on goods and services.

As you said, Econ 101. 

lower taxes on biz are fine but what if another small business person decides to just retain the savings and build back up his cash reserves.  I'm self employed too and that's what I would do right now if I got any tax savings.  Tax cuts are fine but they don't return the same economic stimulus as direct spending (from what I've read and heard)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2009, 07:35:36 AM »
lower taxes on biz are fine but what if another small business person decides to just retain the savings and build back up his cash reserves.  I'm self employed too and that's what I would do right now if I got any tax savings.  Tax cuts are fine but they don't return the same economic stimulus as direct spending (from what I've read and heard)

This is not direct spending as it first must go through the govt agencies. 

Additionally, most of this spending is completely wasteful and going to the states to prop up entitlement and welfare spending. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2009, 08:01:50 AM »
This is not direct spending as it first must go through the govt agencies. 

Additionally, most of this spending is completely wasteful and going to the states to prop up entitlement and welfare spending. 

how much of this new bill is going to entitelments

I know part of it was for extending food stamps but I saw something last week that stated food stamps have a greater dollor on dollar return than tax cuts

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2009, 08:14:43 AM »
how much of this new bill is going to entitelments

I know part of it was for extending food stamps but I saw something last week that stated food stamps have a greater dollor on dollar return than tax cuts

Well, this is supposed to be a jobs and stimulus plan.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2009, 08:38:19 AM »
Well, this is supposed to be a jobs and stimulus plan.

yes it is.

Seems kind of weird to cut these things like: 16 billion for school construction, $3.5 billion for higher education construction.

Wouldn't constrution jobs be good and eventually new teaching jobs, administrators, janitors, etc...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2009, 08:50:58 AM »
My problem with those things are are that once those projects are over, the local taxpayers are going to killed with higher school taxes to keep those things going.

School taxes are already devasting many homeowners and these plans dont make the schools make the cuts and get rid of the weaste that is necessary now. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »
My problem with those things are are that once those projects are over, the local taxpayers are going to killed with higher school taxes to keep those things going.

School taxes are already devasting many homeowners and these plans dont make the schools make the cuts and get rid of the weaste that is necessary now. 

that varies state to state.

either way, assuming the school is actually needed then let's build it and deal with the other issues later.  If it's not needed then redirect the $$$'s to some more worthy project.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2009, 09:09:05 AM »
3 words in summary....cut payroll taxes!   :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2009, 09:34:04 AM »
3 words in summary....cut payroll taxes!   :)

Obama is going to get roasted tonight. 

I really hope he does not run over into "24"

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2009, 10:05:42 AM »
Obama is going to get roasted tonight. 

I really hope he does not run over into "24"

his town hall is going very well so far in indiana.

They'd have to pre-empt 24 and start it late.  I can't wait to see this week's episode when Bauer squares off with the president.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2009, 10:08:34 AM »
his town hall is going very well so far in indiana.

They'd have to pre-empt 24 and start it late.  I can't wait to see this week's episode when Bauer squares off with the president.

Do you think these people are going to pick up shovels and picks?

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2009, 10:16:12 AM »
So we are debating if and how much this stimulus may effect the economy now but few are talking about the enormous debt we are building, the effect of increasing the yearly debt interest payments, the higher taxes that are coming to support these bloated gov bill and the fact that we are printing more money...all which have negative long term consequences.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2009, 10:24:19 AM »

??? And find a job?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2009, 01:00:40 PM »

Well, Obama did say that we've got a lot of 'shovel-ready projects' awaiting approval of his huge spending bill.   ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2009, 01:03:39 PM »
Well, Obama did say that we've got a lot of 'shovel-ready projects' awaiting approval of his huge spending bill.   ;D

Those companies are going to hire illegal aliens since the Senate is not including E Verify in the plan.   

Anyone with any sense knows this. 

You morons who buy into this Obama garbage really are pathetic and have no idea what goes on on the street level. 

The contractors who are going to get these jobs are going to be politically connected companies who donate to local Democrat party pols and not be scrutinized for hiring policies.

Only a liberal dope addict actually believes these companies are going to hire legal Americans. 

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2009, 01:33:17 PM »
Strawman, here is the first question I have for you about the "stimulus"

1. Where are we going to get this money from? 
America is broke, we can either borrow more money or print more.  Either way those two options suck.

2. When have we ever been able to spend our way out of a recession?
FDR tried and most economists agree it only prolonged the depression.