Author Topic: Mike Mentzer was a genius  (Read 19785 times)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Mike Mentzer was a genius
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2023, 01:20:21 AM »
All wrong by the way. If you're still into ayn Rand over the age of 20 you need a shrink. Deflection is not an argument.
What specifically was she wrong about?

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2023, 10:27:51 PM »
What specifically was she wrong about?

In summary, Ayn Rand was unapologetically racist. She didn't understand human nature.
She didn't understand economics. She didn't understanding government.

Like Rand, mentzer didn't understand bodybuilding. Bodybuilding isn't a philosophy.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2023, 12:30:33 AM »
In summary, Ayn Rand was unapologetically racist. She didn't understand human nature.

Like Rand, mentzer didn't understand bodybuilding. Bodybuilding isn't a philosophy.
Being race conscious is required to understand human nature. She was a proponent of individualism which if practiced today would end most of our societal problems. If each individual's rights are protected there is no need for women's rights, gay rights, black rights, etc, etc. These groups are now using group rights to empower themselves over others so that they aren't judged by individual merit. They will never accept equality because they know if they are equally judged they won't measure up to others.

She absolutely understood economics and government which is why she held the views that she had. I don't agree with eliminating all government controls like she did but there is no doubt government has grown to large and powerful.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2023, 02:29:30 AM »

In what way?

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2023, 03:36:10 AM »
In what way?
she didnt apologise for it.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2023, 04:20:21 PM »
and they should from any era, not just because of losers who kiss arnolds ass and try to bandwagon against anyone that can't defend themselves due to being dead

2023 really needs to do away with the jackasses currently in it

perhaps mike dealt with a fuckload of distress from haters he knew he didn't deserve?

and I'm referring to ANY life long sedentaries who lurk here and think "oh what a fucking retard this or that person is when I never improve myself and much worse off than the person I'm projecting on! DURDURDUR!!!"

X2

Really don't understand the hate against the guy.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2023, 07:31:40 PM »

Of course it is.

Do you value muscular development?  Do you value proportion? Do you value conditioning?  Are you willing to spend time and effort to develop your body?

That's not even talking about the drugs and getting on stage.  You have to have a personal philosophy that says all these things are worth while and you are willing to do them?

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2023, 07:49:28 PM »
Mike was smart in a business sense because he gave people what they wanted. Something for nothing. Work hard for 15-20 minutes once a week and you'll be at your best. Muscles in minutes. He backed it up with client data where people were supposedly gaining 30-40 pounds of muscle in a few months.  Obviously this isn't possible even on the strongest steroids. He pawned himself off as pre med, a science guy. He made plenty of money especially towards the end.

In truth Mike's rep speed isn't supported by studies. Neither is his low volume, and beyond failure techniques. At his peak in 1979, and 1980 Mike did far more warm up sets and total volume in comparison to his later programs. He also did an absolute shitload of running. 10-12 miles some days. He should have factored this in as well.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2023, 10:59:11 PM »
Of course it is.

Do you value muscular development?  Do you value proportion? Do you value conditioning?  Are you willing to spend time and effort to develop your body?

That's not even talking about the drugs and getting on stage.  You have to have a personal philosophy that says all these things are worth while and you are willing to do them?

It isn't at all.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2023, 11:02:06 PM »
Being race conscious is required to understand human nature. She was a proponent of individualism which if practiced today would end most of our societal problems. If each individual's rights are protected there is no need for women's rights, gay rights, black rights, etc, etc. These groups are now using group rights to empower themselves over others so that they aren't judged by individual merit. They will never accept equality because they know if they are equally judged they won't measure up to others.

She absolutely understood economics and government which is why she held the views that she had. I don't agree with eliminating all government controls like she did but there is no doubt government has grown to large and powerful.

Nope. She was wrong about everything she believed in. Her so called philosophy isn't even regarded as a philosophy. It's a joke. As I have stated her way of thinking only appeals to disillusioned teenage boys. If you're over 20 and still take her crap seriously you need help. Her so called way of thinking didn't do mentzer any good that's for sure.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2023, 12:49:43 AM »
Nope. She was wrong about everything she believed in. Her so called philosophy isn't even regarded as a philosophy. It's a joke. As I have stated her way of thinking only appeals to disillusioned teenage boys. If you're over 20 and still take her crap seriously you need help. Her so called way of thinking didn't do mentzer any good that's for sure.
Again, you use insults with nothing to back it up. You don't believe in individualism? So, collectivism is superior?

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2023, 04:28:17 AM »
she didnt apologise for it.

But what did she say?

His ideas of her 'racism' might be his own interpretation.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2023, 05:00:58 AM »
Mentzer went bonkers.

Such a waste.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2023, 05:20:31 AM »
Genius,because he modified a training program thought up by Jones and made money from it?

No,the idiots who bought into it made him seem like a genius.....if his training philosophy was scoffed at and ignored he`d just be another bodybuilder....albeit a very good one.

AFetlifeFanatic

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2023, 09:33:52 AM »
haters you are the first to die

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2023, 06:42:53 PM »
Genius,because he modified a training program thought up by Jones and made money from it?

No,the idiots who bought into it made him seem like a genius.....if his training philosophy was scoffed at and ignored he`d just be another bodybuilder....albeit a very good one.

At least you give him some credit...

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2023, 10:00:36 PM »
haters you are the first to die

Mentzer died first.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2023, 10:08:53 PM »

100%

AFetlifeFanatic

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2023, 10:42:57 AM »
Mentzer died first.

Haters won't outlast me then and especially not lots of sedentary fucking losers who act like they are better than anyone not like them

Ever gotten a few competent bullies who think they need to target the biggest fish instead of the bottom of the totem pole??

Sometimes I wish a comet would fucking strike. Too many fuckers think everyone is born the same with the same exact upbringing

Prayer Warrior

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2023, 10:45:50 AM »

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2023, 10:46:05 AM »
At least you give him some credit...
Oh definitely,he was a great bodybuilder for sure.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2023, 12:03:21 PM »

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2023, 12:06:16 PM »
"the internets estimate his IQ at 135, with 160 being genius."

source:
https://forums.musculardevelopment.com/forum/md-bodybuilding-forums/no-bull/99549-who-is-the-smartest-ifbb-pro-on-the-planet/page7

"But I've got to give it to Arnold. For what it's worth the internets estimate his IQ at 135, with 160 being genius. But you can never trust IQ results as they're always squewed. You'll rarely meet someone who tests with a 100 IQ or below even though that SHOULD by definition be the average IQ.

Why Pick Arnold? What separates Arnold's life story from every other bodybuilders? Is it hard work - can't be. There are plenty of pros who work harder and are more dedicated than Arnold. Is it good looks? In a word - no. Arnold is FAR more successful than any pro bodybuilder because of his intelligence and charisma. He might not have spent the most time in school but he has useful intellectual traits: he was insightful enough to figure out what avenues to pursue in life. This is the same kind of insight that gets people like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg to the top. I don't agree with Arnold's politics but if I had to hire any pro bodybuilder not based on physical attributes I'd pick Arnold."

Arnold was way smarter than mentzer.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2023, 12:08:52 PM »
"I think Metzner has some of the most over-rated intelligence. I think the vast majority of his own results were not from training but from his genetic gifts. If you see pictures of a young Metzner you wonder why he's not even bigger.

Bodybuilders are viewed by everyone as meatheads. I think that a few pros in particular have attempted to shield themselves from this sort of criticism by trying to put on a very cultured, learned personality. If you do this sort of shit for show, instead of being genuine, then you're a charlatan. Mike has pictures of himself in his books attending art shows, curling up with a good book, wearing glasses and sweaters, etc. It all feels very staged to me. The pictures are supposed to demonstrate how the short time commitment of HIT training allows him the free time to live an intellectually stimulating life. But then, even though he's RETIRED, he picks up a meth habit to help him focus on his supposedly insurmountable workload? You'd think he'd have even more free time than before. It just doesn't make sense. Smart people usually do what makes sense."

Yep, mentzer wasn't smart.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2023, 12:11:48 PM »
Is it true that Arnold called Mentzer “pee breath” backstage which made him instantly flip out? Pretty classless for Arnie to out him like that in front of his fellow thonged colleagues