Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Kentucky cop shoots, kills man who attacked him with flag pole  (Read 12000 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Happens at 45 seconds

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ky-shoots-kills-man-attacked-flag-pole-article-1.2258116

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A store surveillance video obtained by a Kentucky television station shows a man violently swinging a flagpole at a Louisville Metro Police officer before police say the officer fatally shot him.

Police said the officer responded to an assault call Saturday in Old Louisville, a neighborhood near downtown Louisville. The video WHAS-TV said it got from a nearby smoke shop shows the officer talking briefly with the man, who seems to become agitated and walks away from the officer.

The coroner's office on Sunday identified the man as 35-year-old Deng Manyoun, according to the TV station.

Police Chief Steve Conrad said at a news conference on Sunday that he couldn't provide the name of the man killed, but identified the officer as Nathan Blanford, a 10-year veteran. Blanford has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an inquiry by the Police Department's Public Integrity Unit.

The video, which was broken down into segments, shows the officer take a few steps forward, pull his gun and appear to call for backup before the man advances toward him swinging the flag pole. At one point the flag pole breaks.

The video shows the officer pointing his gun at the man, but doesn't show him firing.

Police said the officer fired two shots in self-defense.

Conrad told reporters at the news conference that he believes the officer felt his life was in danger, which gave him the option to use deadly force under department policy.

"I don't think the officer had an opportunity to transition to a less lethal option," Conrad said.

Manyoun was taken by ambulance to the University of Louisville Hospital, where he later died.

Kenneth Williams said on the WHAS report that he witnessed the shooting and believes the use of deadly force was unnecessary.

"He could have maced him," Williams said in the video. "He could have used his stun gun."

Witnesses said Manyoun seemed intoxicated. He appeared to stumble when the officer was talking to him in the video.

Manyoun's arrest record shows a number of alcohol-related offenses dating back to 2008, WHAS reports. Before Saturday, Manyoun was arrested on June 2 for disorderly conduct, but released the following day.

The shooting has stirred emotions in the community, where neighbors said the man was known to residents. The Courier-Journal in Louisville reported that local activists planned a meeting Sunday to discuss the shooting.

Nick Holiday told The Associated Press on Saturday that he knew the man well and that he lived in an apartment building not far from the shooting site. Holiday, and others who had gathered at the intersection Saturday evening, questioned why the officer resorted to deadly force when faced with a flagpole, rather than use a Taser or other non-lethal means. They called for a quick and transparent investigation.

The 22-year-old woman who was assaulted was treated for her injuries at a hospital and released. Police did not disclose the nature of any relationship between her and the man.
X

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
Had it coming. Looked like the cop
Actually waited too long to shoot.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Had it coming. Looked like the cop
Actually waited too long to shoot.

We need 240 here. Can't wait to here is input. 240 has the keen ability to judge the exact distance between officer and citizen and whether or not the cop was justified in using deadly force.  240 will make all things clear.
X

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Good shoot. You attack a cop he has a right to defend himself.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
We need 240 here. Can't wait to here is input. 240 has the keen ability to judge the exact distance between officer and citizen and whether or not the cop was justified in using deadly force.  240 will make all things clear.

Got my popcorn ready

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it

Hebrew was clearly using the an deadly Kenyan martial art known as uru-flagtoface-o.
Deady force justified !!

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Deserved what he got, almost tempted to call it suicide by cop. Any one that condones a man trying to whack a person with a heavy hardwood stick is dummy, pure and simple.

Waller

• Getbig IV
I understand there is a gulf between how Americans and British view self defence, to me that seems just ridiculous. He could have been easily dealt with without killing him.

I know I know you shouldn't attack an officer, but I don't think officers should be so fucking quick to start shooting people.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
I understand there is a gulf between how Americans and British view self defence, to me that seems just ridiculous. He could have been easily dealt with without killing him.

I know I know you shouldn't attack an officer, but I don't think officers should be so fucking quick to start shooting people.

It easy for you to say that after-the-fact , once you're in that situation you're forced to react. The black guy put himself in a situation where the cop felt his safety was in danger. It all could have been avoided if the brother complied , went to jail for being a drunk , he chose his path.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Deserved what he got, almost tempted to call it suicide by cop. Any one that condones a man trying to whack a person with a heavy hardwood stick is dummy, pure and simple.

I don't think suicide by cop. Reports state he was high on something. You dont make rational decisions when you're high  :-\ :-\
X

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
dont bring a flag pole to a gun fight.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth

Waller

• Getbig IV
It easy for you to say that after-the-fact , once you're in that situation you're forced to react. The black guy put himself in a situation where the cop felt his safety was in danger. It all could have been avoided if the brother complied , went to jail for being a drunk , he chose his path.

Yeah it's easy to say, I've been in that situation (length of wood not a flagpole) and I didn't think 'shit I need a gun'.

The guy put himself in the situation yes, but it's the job of the police to PROTECT and serve. I think the officer should have protected that guy from himself, he obviously wasn't straight.

Bosch

• Getbig III
One more death penalty. Lynch law of peace.

Honestly, things gotta out of control a bit. If you shoot, at least shoot at lower body.

anabolicguru

• Getbig III
Honestly, How much more until it becomes,  A Muslim terrorist tries to detonate a bomb but was shot and killed by cops, cops being investigated for using excessive force, maybe they could have "reasoned" with the terrorist.
I

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda

ND, you could have stopped the criminal by producing massive amount of pictures of bodybuilders from the internet. As the criminal attacked you with the flagpole, you could have whipped out a few bodybuilding pictures. Once he is distracted, you could have used a leg sweep to take him down.
X

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
ND, you could have stopped the criminal by producing massive amount of pictures of bodybuilders from the internet. As the criminal attacked you with the flagpole, you could have whipped out a few bodybuilding pictures. Once he is distracted, you could have used a leg sweep to take him down.

I would have threw my scanner at his head and thus ended the threat.

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
Cop tried to back up, natural selection right there

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
Yeah it's easy to say, I've been in that situation (length of wood not a flagpole) and I didn't think 'shit I need a gun'.

The guy put himself in the situation yes, but it's the job of the police to PROTECT and serve. I think the officer should have protected that guy from himself, he obviously wasn't straight.

The cop has a right to PROTECT himself. The guy didn't care about the cops safety why should the cop care about his? And that " protect & serve " is nonsense , the supreme court already said the cops have no duty to do either. That's PR for the community it's a nice slogan , a marketing ploy.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V

Thing is, taking a few whacks on the head so you don't hurt the attacker is not a very well thought out plan. If the guy is crazy enough to attack the cop, if he is able to disable the cop with the pole he then has access to about 45 rounds of ammunition and a gun. How do you propose the officer was supposed to protect the guy from himself in that situation?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
One more death penalty. Lynch law of peace.

Honestly, things gotta out of control a bit. If you shoot, at least shoot at lower body.

sounds pretty easy right?

Waller

• Getbig IV
The cop has a right to PROTECT himself. The guy didn't care about the cops safety why should the cop care about his? And that " protect & serve " is nonsense , the supreme court already said the cops have no duty to do either. That's PR for the community it's a nice slogan , a marketing ploy.

There are a lot of ways he could have protected himself that didn't result in killing the guy.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V

That Supreme Court ruling is probably one of the most misunderstood rulings to date.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
dont bring a flag pole to a gun fight.
maybe he thought it was a bodybuilding fight....in which case you most certainly would wanna being your "flag" pole.  Full mast.