Author Topic: Arm growth (tris)  (Read 7337 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
Arm growth (tris)
« on: March 27, 2009, 01:07:57 PM »
Ive listened to a few guys here pumpster Jpm coltrane to name a few and cut back the volumn on arms to about 4 or 5 excersises for tris..
and its worked .. put a little more size on the tris... still same condition all really cut  bout a quarter inch on the arms...
also... brandon curry ladder tris on the smith.. one of the absolute BEST tri movements..ever... no elbow pain .. and adds fulness
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Arm growth (tris)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:36:47 PM »
ladder tris on the smith.. one of the absolute BEST tri movements..ever... no elbow pain .. and adds fulness

What is that?

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 01:39:49 PM »
bodyweight tricep extensions....
as seen here
works magic for my tris
choice is an illusion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »
Would like to have heard more of his thoughts and less from the other guy! Warming up the tris is important, as he says.

Those bodyweight extensions are ok but put a lot of pressure on the elbows and it's hard to add more resistance, so it seems to me they're limited as a main focus and better for a good finishing pump and stretch.

On the smith i like the following, that can be better than using free weights because there's no balancing, the grips can be different and more comfortable, and it's easier to go to failure without worry due to the safety of it:

-Decline/flat close-grip benches.
-Seated/standing/incline close-grip presses above head.
-Seated/standing/incline extensions above head.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
doesnt trouble my elbows at all.. but i do warm up the elbows before i do anything like that
choice is an illusion

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »
Ive listened to a few guys here pumpster Jpm coltrane to name a few and cut back the volumn on arms to about 4 or 5 excersises for tris..
and its worked .. put a little more size on the tris... still same condition all really cut  bout a quarter inch on the arms...
also... brandon curry ladder tris on the smith.. one of the absolute BEST tri movements..ever... no elbow pain .. and adds fulness

post a new picture big guy
tank u jesus

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 02:06:16 PM »
post a new pic Meso!

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 02:32:45 PM »
wsup mezo.. i will post stuff soon... ive been a bit skeptical to do so....
too much peoople here who arent really interested in training but just to try to... put others down...
but i will soon.. maybe next week
choice is an illusion

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 02:38:27 PM »
wsup mezo.. i will post stuff soon... ive been a bit skeptical to do so....
too much peoople here who arent really interested in training but just to try to... put others down...
but i will soon.. maybe next week

just for motivation bro!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 07:00:21 PM »
Have heard the Ladder exercise referred to as tricep push off's or push backs. Very easy to control the resistance on the triceps by a small shift of the body/feet, or the grip chosen, with the Ladder or whatever name given. Even though a bwt movement, with a little experimenting you can make if feel anywhere from 10lb resistance to 100, or more, on the triceps. Can even shift the body/feet and have one arm do most of the work, so to have most of a focus on one arm and than the other.   How far away, or close to the BB, your are standing helps. Some guy's will split the feet when doing this exercise, one foot in front of the other. Anyway, get an outstanding stretch on the triceps when done the right way.

Some BB'ers use a "A" frame rack, when setting the BB to different heights. Though with that shifting of bwt/feet you can keep the BB on one level throughout the tricep workout, making it harder (lower reps) or easier (higher reps). Have to try a few sets to see if you get a negative response on the elbows/wrist.  Though with seeing this tricep exercise done quite a bit, it gets mostly praise. Good Luck. 

F

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 07:27:54 PM »
I've done extensive research on this subject and my studies show that there's a direct correlation between arm growth and lifting weights...

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »
I've done extensive research on this subject and my studies show that there's a direct correlation between arm growth and lifting weights...
;D

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »
I could deadlift 405 twice after EIGHT years of training

;D

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »
Have heard the Ladder exercise referred to as tricep push off's or push backs. Very easy to control the resistance on the triceps by a small shift of the body/feet, or the grip chosen, with the Ladder or whatever name given. Even though a bwt movement, with a little experimenting you can make if feel anywhere from 10lb resistance to 100, or more, on the triceps. Can even shift the body/feet and have one arm do most of the work, so to have most of a focus on one arm and than the other.   How far away, or close to the BB, your are standing helps. Some guy's will split the feet when doing this exercise, one foot in front of the other. Anyway, get an outstanding stretch on the triceps when done the right way.

Some BB'ers use a "A" frame rack, when setting the BB to different heights. Though with that shifting of bwt/feet you can keep the BB on one level throughout the tricep workout, making it harder (lower reps) or easier (higher reps). Have to try a few sets to see if you get a negative response on the elbows/wrist.  Though with seeing this tricep exercise done quite a bit, it gets mostly praise. Good Luck. 

I do three ladders 10 on knee level then no rest move it up one notch 10 , teh ten more on the higher notch.. gives a deep burn
choice is an illusion

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 12:51:04 PM »
bodyweight tricep extensions....
as seen here
works magic for my tris

Arnold talks about those in his Encyclopedia I think.
I'm not sure, but I seem to remember seeing it in M & F or something, but there was an article where Arnold was asked to pick ONE exercise per muscle group as being his favorites. Obviously he said the "Arnold Press" for shoulders, I think Front Squats for Quads, Bench Press for Chest...and his favorite Triceps exercises: Ladder Extensions. I remember I thought to myself 'that's not really such a complicated movement....' I guess it just seemed that there are other exercises that are more glorified; CGBP, Skullcrushers or Dips, etc...
I also remember the article had Lee Priest demonstrating each exercise.
I usually do that exercise, but more as a stretching movement, not as a main movement during a workout. I think I'll give the "Ladder Effect" a try. :)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »

Changing foot positioning is most practical for me.
And it’s ability to be done quickly makes it ideal for doing drop sets.

Elbows aren’t usually a problem for me so long as I lower myself slowly and avoid bouncing at the bottom of the movement.
I even have a history of moderate elbow problems and found this movement to be among the more tolerable ones.

I would rather take the rep slower than shortening the ROM.
I really believe the stretch is a major component of this move’s effectiveness.

This movement is similar to a kneeling, overhead triceps cable extension that Larry Scott used to great effect in the 60’s.
Larry's version is VERY forgiving on elbow joints.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 05:58:54 PM »

This movement is similar to a kneeling, overhead triceps cable extension that Larry Scott used to great effect in the 60’s.
Larry's version is VERY forgiving on elbow joints.

Oh ya, i know all about these and although they look similar, it's all about angles in all these things and i find that where the pedestral hits right where it should (and most don't) in the belly/middle of the long head, the bodyweight ones emphasize the tissue and area around the elbows.

I've never seen any indication of Arold using that exercise in his routines-the only time i've seen him use it was as part of a backstage pumpup prior to a show.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 02:45:13 PM »
Oh ya, i know all about these and although they look similar, it's all about angles in all these things and i find that where the pedestral hits right where it should (and most don't) in the belly/middle of the long head, the bodyweight ones emphasize the tissue and area around the elbows.

I've never seen any indication of Arold using that exercise in his routines-the only time i've seen him use it was as part of a backstage pumpup prior to a show.
kneeling overhead tri extionsions.. done with what handle....?
can yu give a brief discription on how its done?
choice is an illusion

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 02:57:06 PM »
kneeling overhead tri extionsions.. done with what handle....?
can yu give a brief discription on how its done?

Larry Scott used to make a "twin pedestal" bench where you kneeled on the floor and put your arms on pads and had a space for your head in the middle, claimed it was the best long head tricep builder there was.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »
so a flat bench ... cable attachmet from the top elbows on the bench?
choice is an illusion

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 03:05:54 PM »
so a flat bench ... cable attachmet from the top elbows on the bench?
that'll work or just do 'em the way most people do them by standing up with your back facing the stack and do them overhead.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »
ok sounds good def give them a try in tomorrows arm workout
choice is an illusion

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 03:11:22 PM »
ok sounds good def give them a try in tomorrows arm workout
they seem like more of a last exercise type of thing to me kind of like pushdowns but any movement can be a mass builder if done right, lately we've been doing 3 HEAVY sets of close grip bench followed by a lighter 12-15 reps set with 225 and then db one arm overheads and either lying extensions or pushdowns.

Shawdow

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 03:19:07 PM »
meso, do you really need more tricep development? ??? :o

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 03:19:37 PM »
meso, do you really need more tricep development? ??? :o
hahahaa, dude does have some big ass arms for sure.