Author Topic: Why BJJ isn't what you think  (Read 18229 times)

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
Re: Why BJJ isn't what you think
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2013, 01:12:04 PM »

Uhhh no kicks or takedowns? I'd fuck you up dawg. For real.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
Ah, so you used to mix with crims, lol.
Maybe Charles Bronson in the UK is more your cup of tea, he used to fight trained dogs.
Not really, my best friend growing up, his Dad was a figure in the underworld, I didn't know it until I reached my late teens.  Now nearly 25 years later, I remember a lot of things that happened and recognise them for what they were.  At the time I was just a naive kid.  So through that friendship I met some pretty shady characters.  And one of the characters was a dogman (dog fighter), he actually gave my family one of his pitbull puppies, my Mum had it destroyed when it showed dangerous aggression towards the kids, there were 5 of us, and I have two younger sisters.  My mum did absolutely the right thing.  A lot of my friends owned pitbulls, I have a lot of experience with them.  I even have a tattoo of one on my back as proof of my foolish ways as a younger man.  So why people like to try and intimidate me with pitbull references is beyond me.  Well before I was even attacked I knew how dangerous they were.  I have seen them tear other dogs to shreds.
V

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2013, 02:34:45 PM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2013, 03:58:44 PM »
Striking is great if you can stay on your feet. Odds are unless you are a really good wrestler you are going to be taken down eventually. How effective are strikes in the clinch?

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »
Striking is great if you can stay on your feet. Odds are unless you are a really good wrestler you are going to be taken down eventually. How effective are strikes in the clinch?

You'd be surprised how quickly an untrained person will get tired trying to take someone down.  If they can't do it after trying a few times they are pretty much spent.   I'm no bad ass but I've experienced it myself when some guy tried to take me down.
A

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2013, 04:03:31 PM »
Most trained BJJ guys work on take downs all the time. If you are punching or kicking you are already prime to getting knocked down.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2013, 04:19:16 PM »
i never bought the "all fights go to the ground and so you must know ground wrestling" theory

i been in a bunch of fights as a young lad, just like every getbigger who wasnt loved by his father

When you were a young lad, one may assume that MMA wasn't as widespread amongst the kids in that area you were growing up in.

For example, back in the 70s, it rarely went to the ground in a random bar-brawl

Nowadays though, Neighbours Cousins mother and almost everyone has taken a class of "some such".

It's very handy to have defence against taken down these days in these settings.

Because if you miss and are taken down, it may end very badly.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2013, 10:25:52 PM »
When you were a young lad, one may assume that MMA wasn't as widespread amongst the kids in that area you were growing up in.

For example, back in the 70s, it rarely went to the ground in a random bar-brawl

Nowadays though, Neighbours Cousins mother and almost everyone has taken a class of "some such".

It's very handy to have defence against taken down these days in these settings.

Because if you miss and are taken down, it may end very badly.
which is my point

taking a couple of classes of mma doesnt make you efficient at it

it takes YEARS of consistent tedious training

ukjeff

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2013, 10:31:37 PM »
Well before I was even attacked I knew how dangerous they were.
That surprises me, I thought you were a guy that was always prepared for anything and that your self awareness was second to none regarding potential dangerous situations.
(We discussed it in length in another thread)
Yet heres a guy who knows how dangerous pit-bulls are and still finds himself in a situation to get bitten, what happened, did your "spidey senses" let you down?

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2013, 11:12:39 PM »
Ah, so you used to mix with crims, lol.
Maybe Charles Bronson in the UK is more your cup of tea, he used to fight trained dogs.

Charlie would eat Mark "Choper" for breakfast, Fatso Chop can be seen in Melbourne's cafes & is gone artistic  :D :D :D
Actually Eric Bana (Banadanovic) overacted as Choper.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2013, 02:11:08 AM »
That surprises me, I thought you were a guy that was always prepared for anything and that your self awareness was second to none regarding potential dangerous situations.
(We discussed it in length in another thread)
Yet heres a guy who knows how dangerous pit-bulls are and still finds himself in a situation to get bitten, what happened, did your "spidey senses" let you down?
I never ever said my self awareness was second to none regarding danger.  You seem to want to paint a picture of me that simply isn't true.   I merely suggested that I was aware of my vulnerability, and even more so after a pitbull attack.  The attack happened to me while working, there was very little a could have done about it.  And you seem to have a bee in your bonnet because I said I wouldn't approach two men who had just finished decapitating someone in public.  Call me crazy, but I just don't think that is a good idea.

And just because someone is aware of the danger doesn't make them invulnerable to it.  There was a book I read  years ago about mountain climbing, and discussing ways of avoiding the dangers of such a dangerous past-time.  One of the conclusions was that it was impossible to fully prevent deaths and serious injuries, but one should still prepare vigilantly for such occurrences, and although this doesn't prevent accidents, it minimises the chances greatly.  If enough people climb mountains, then eventually shit will happen, even to the most prepared.

And you have a real chip on your shoulder.  You come of as an arrogant ignorant twat.
V

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2013, 06:11:11 AM »

i sparred with a bjj black belt mind you i have no submission knowledge other than

when you have you opponent laying on his back put your head in his chest

first round my fighting instinct didnt allow him to get any take downs

second round i couldnt keep him off and i gassed lol he was putting me in arm bars

and knee bars and they werent hurting because im double jointed but no one but me knew that

i was faking and screaming I WILL NEVER TAP... GRACIES AINT SHIT lol and the small crowd was shocked

at my "pain resistance".

third round began as he came in for the take down i put all my weight behind this punch and

cracked him in the sternum and he dropped like a sack of shit

moral of the story bjj aint shit in a street fight if you get taken to the ground scratch his eyes

grab his adams apple, bite him, grab his balls and squeeze very hard, elbow his face till he stops moving

or better yet do what mark coleman did and ground and pound his ass

if your in a fight 3 or more against 1 target the guy who started the fight take him to the ground and

you bite pieces of his flesh and choke that bitch untill he starts screaming and instead of his mates stomping you they will try to

break the fight up
::)

and then you woke up

lying homo

Mrdibbs

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2013, 08:07:02 AM »
yeah but a dude who knows what he's doing could just shoot on you with a single leg takedown or something and your boxing or whatever goes out the window....5 seconds later you're in an armbar or choked out.

unless youre a highschool wrestler you wouldn't be able to defend a takedown...

Lol at thinking some random punk on the streets knows how to lock an armbar. Streetfights (and barfights in particular) are usually very very wild and sluggish. Not everyone is the poor mans Fedor Emelianenko. A guy with some decent hands and reflexes can counter knock someone out pretty easily.

My experience is that youll always be outnumbered, get a suckerpunch, glassed, ringed up homies in beamers anyways though. As OMR says better talk or run, if not survive on instinct and dirty tactics (bas ruttens self defense over any blackbelt).

ukjeff

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2013, 08:09:13 AM »
And you seem to have a bee in your bonnet because I said I wouldn't approach two men who had just finished decapitating someone in public.
He wasn't decapitated, that never happened.
And you have a real chip on your shoulder.  You come of as an arrogant ignorant twat.

Me? lol

pot/kettle/black

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »
 ;D
T

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2013, 10:18:39 AM »
Knowing TKD or Karate and thinking you are badass in a fight is funny.  How often do fights start with a guy lining up 6 feet in front of you in a fighting stance?  Most fights happen without the attackee knowing.  The attacker will come in and grab or hit you before you know what's happening.

Anyone that starts a fight blabbing his gums most likely has no idea how to fight.

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2013, 10:41:37 AM »
Now, not every fight goes to the ground. Some guys have solid takedown defense and that's why it is important to have a well-rounded approach to fighting. Before I ever did JiuJitsu, I was boxing (non-pro) for over 20 years. If you combine the two (Boxing + JiuJitsu) you will bring a package that can be devastating to any fight.

In my opinion, someone that has talent with his hands (say a golden glove), paired with solid Muay Thai skills and Purple-Black belt in Brazilian JiuJitsu is practically a nightmare to fight against.

"1"

Agreed....

I have boxed from the time I was a little kid. Many of my friends fought in Golden Gloves, amateur tourneys etc. If any of you think a street fighter is even remotely close to being able to strike like a trained fighter you're crazy. Any clinch or takedown attempt is going to be met with upper cuts and punches to the back of your head until you let go.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2013, 11:10:23 AM »
Agreed....

I have boxed from the time I was a little kid. Many of my friends fought in Golden Gloves, amateur tourneys etc. If any of you think a street fighter is even remotely close to being able to strike like a trained fighter you're crazy. Any clinch or takedown attempt is going to be met with upper cuts and punches to the back of your head until you let go.

What it feels like to be hit by a professional boxer can't be compared to anything else. I've sparred with professional boxers in the past (me wearing headgear) for a 1-2 rounds and getting hit by them is unlike anything I've ever experienced. You feel as if your entire body gets rocked with your skull, chest cavity and equilibrium taking the biggest hit. Even by me trying my hardest to hang with them, I would find myself giving up due to the sheer pain from their punches (and that's during basic sparring where they take it easy on me).

There's a reason a professional boxer can be arrested for use of a deadly weapon when they have a regular fist fight on the street.

"1"

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »
He wasn't decapitated, that never happened.

You have trouble seeing the point don't you.  You get hung up on meaningless details.  You argue for the sake of it, you must be a joy to live or work with.  I feel like I am dealing with a juvenile with some serious daddy issues.
V

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »
I feel like I am dealing with a juvenile with some serious daddy issues.

Makes your dick hard doesn't it?

Admit it - you wanna hump him.

ukjeff

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2013, 03:10:15 PM »
You have trouble seeing the point don't you.  You get hung up on meaningless details.  You argue for the sake of it, you must be a joy to live or work with.  I feel like I am dealing with a juvenile with some serious daddy issues.
The point was you called me an arrogant ignorant twat, however I wasn't ignorant enough to not know the guy wasn't decapitated.
So who's the ignorant twat now?

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2013, 03:13:44 PM »
The point was you called me an arrogant ignorant twat, however I wasn't ignorant enough to not know the guy wasn't decapitated.

That's what I don't get about E-kul. He will answer to random posts with a lengthy, novel-like response in order to attempt to have somewhat of a valid point, but somehow towards the end of his piece always resorts to childish name calling and yet has the nerve to point out things like this:

You have trouble seeing the point don't you.  You get hung up on meaningless details.  You argue for the sake of it, you must be a joy to live or work with.  I feel like I am dealing with a juvenile with some serious daddy issues.

wtf??  ::)

"1"

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2013, 05:50:06 PM »
That's what I don't get about E-kul. He will answer to random posts with a lengthy, novel-like response in order to attempt to have somewhat of a valid point, but somehow towards the end of his piece always resorts to childish name calling and yet has the nerve to point out things like this:

wtf??  ::)

"1"
Once again OneMorerep you make comments out of context, the name calling is a result of someone stalking me around getbig, doing everything than can to provoke and annoy.  It comes at the end of a long of insults, pitbull jibes and no attempt to debate, just to insult and belittle.  And your comment reflects your butthurt from the other day, you just can't let it go can you.  Yes I think UKJEFF is arrogant and ignorant, that's my observation based on his account of himself.  And yes, I feel like I am dealing with a very immature person who is very sensitive and unable to deal with differences of opinion.  

I actually keep name calling to a minimum, I always try and debate the argument if I can, I would say I receive 50 times the insults I give.  Once it becomes apparent that someone has excessively hurt feelings due to my opinion and stalk me around GETBIG, eventually I disengage and offer my analysis.  I have never understood why someone would publicly display there hurt feelings by stalking others and constantly making comments reflecting how upset someone else has made them on a body-building forum of all places.  It's almost like these stalkers become obsessed with me, the only way I have come to remember a getbiggers name is when they stalk me, I don't even bother looking at the name of people posting, I like to respond to the message and not the person.  The only time an exception is made is when it becomes undeniably apparent I have a NEW stalker.  UKJEFF seems to be the latest.
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
Yeah, but you were ignorant enough to miss the point, which was, it isn't prudent to approach people who had just murdered someone in public.  To deflect, you focused on a moot point, which in the scheme of things wasn't relevant.  You do this for the sake of being disagreeable.  Why do people do this? Perhaps because they are arrogant. Perhaps they don't have a decent counter argument.  Who knows, some people are just born TWATS.
V