Author Topic: 'Hardest training bodybuilder'  (Read 38497 times)

kevcat

• Getbig IV
'Hardest training bodybuilder'
« on: December 03, 2007, 06:08:57 AM »
Just curious about opinions on this. I always read or hear people saying that Ronnie Coleman is/was the hardest working bodybuilder in the world at his prime.But having seen his DVDs ( im a big fan ) i dont get where this comes from. It made me think when i heard Bryan Dobson say it on PBW.Ronnie does lift heavy heavy weights but it doesnt qualify as hardest working. He doesnt seem to push himself to failure often and he always looks like he could force a couple more reps on his final sets. The reason he lifted so heavy was natural strength with roids and a good work ethic.I dont think he kills himself in the gym as much as others ive seen. People will say he obviously didnt need to but it brings up the whole debate of wether we should work to positive failure etc. Opinions??

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
Re: 'Hardest training bodybuilder'
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:10:22 AM »
some say it was platz. "Mr. Intensity".

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 06:12:59 AM »
Yeh theres tons of stories, i only wish there were more footage of the likes of Arnold and Sergio training the way the spin out DVD after DVD of the pro's now

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 06:15:02 AM »
Nasser.
Z

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 06:16:26 AM »
Ruhl in made ingerman pushes himself to the limit.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 06:17:42 AM »
There are lots of guys that trained like fireballs but the craziest and strongest I would have to say are the Barbarian twins. They threw weights around like rag dolls and there strength and intensity was out of this world.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 06:27:36 AM »
i say coleman

you don't get that strong at that body fat % by accident. the guy lifted weights on a regular basis that lesser pros like cutler would have had nightmares about.

training to failure means absolutely nothing. joe average on his first day at the gym can train to failure with a 10lb dumbell, including forced reps, negative, the whole thing.

setting up for an 800lb double squat/deadlift after about an hours worth of lifting and one wrong move could mean disaster...this is hard training.

ronnie didn't shirk the compound movements ie d/lift, rows (bb and tb) squat, etc. any of these lifts you could stop 4 reps short of failure and you're going to beat lat pulldown, extensions, cable rows, db flies, curls to failure/beyond every single time.

Lamplighterx

• Getbig III
  • I support the Wizard of Truth
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 07:15:22 AM »
Nasser
200 pounds dumbell shoulder pressses
Wide grip pullups with 3 plates attached
Proud to be a member of Team Nasser

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 07:20:46 AM »
Nasser
200 pounds dumbell shoulder pressses
Wide grip pullups with 3 plates attached

nasser didn't do 200lb shoulder presses.

this should help some.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 07:27:38 AM »
Nasser handsdown.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 07:43:27 AM »
Just curious about opinions on this. I always read or hear people saying that Ronnie Coleman is/was the hardest working bodybuilder in the world at his prime.But having seen his DVDs ( im a big fan ) i dont get where this comes from. It made me think when i heard Bryan Dobson say it on PBW.Ronnie does lift heavy heavy weights but it doesnt qualify as hardest working. He doesnt seem to push himself to failure often and he always looks like he could force a couple more reps on his final sets. The reason he lifted so heavy was natural strength with roids and a good work ethic.I dont think he kills himself in the gym as much as others ive seen. People will say he obviously didnt need to but it brings up the whole debate of wether we should work to positive failure etc. Opinions??
translation=you're looking for justification for your monster 155 pound bb rows and benches just because your arms are shaking while you do them.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 08:42:30 AM »
Vince Taylor. LMAO

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 12:23:55 PM »
wot is squadfather on about??? This has nothing to do with how strong i am, cos im admittedly pretty weak compared to alot of people.I can see youre obviously not hard working in the gym or youd probably be 50 lbs lighter  ;D

Its about who puts in the most effort in the gym i was asking.Not whos the strongest.If i had the natural strength and genetics that Coleman had then id be doing his poundages probably after 20 years training and tons of juice.That doesnt make Ronnie the hardest working.He had good genetics.Although the fact he worked as a police officer for years and still worked out and done his 2 hours cardio on the same day takes alot of determination ill say.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 12:26:44 PM »

I've gotta go with Yates on this one,

although I think Ronnie's a much better bodybuilder, the amount of intensity that Yates brought to the gym
was ridiculous!  :o
just not good enough

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 12:27:15 PM »
some say it was platz. "Mr. Intensity".
i would have to go with mr. platz to.

Steve388

• Getbig I
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 12:36:19 PM »
Ruhl in made ingerman pushes himself to the limit.

100% agreed

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 12:43:04 PM »
Gaspari,Defendis,Platz!!

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 12:47:03 PM »
vince taylor, flex wheeler and victor Martinez

train with the intensity of 12 year old school girls

eddiebubble

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 12:47:52 PM »
A contradiction in terms. Lifting a light weight for 30 seconds and then resting for another 30 seconds is not a hard thing to do although bodybuilders will make it look hard. Especially the cheaters on juice who don't train hard, don't train heavy and have fake muscles.

Triple-H_2005

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I mostly lurk...
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 12:48:01 PM »
Yates.

Team Diver

• Getbig IV
  • Squeeeeze!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 01:50:27 PM »

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 01:56:17 PM »
Ever train in 100+ degree weather? its hard as hell and zaps over 20 percent of your strenght until you get use to it and dont give a shit....anyone that trains at metroflex is hardcore if you ask me....

phenom

• Getbig II
  • The better you look the more you see
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 02:00:52 PM »
Got to go with Arnold on this one. When "Mr Intensity" Tom Platz says nobody could out train Arnold who am I to disagree.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 03:48:13 PM »
Ronnie?  Yeah right.  He was king of the half rep and had the most appalling form.  So many adolescents watched his videos and then hit the gym, only to destroy their shoulders and lower backs.

Ronnie got shortness of breath when walking from bench to rack.  Big dumbass Ronnie was a hardcore as a retard in a crop top!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 03:59:29 PM »
IF YOU WANT HUGE, SHREDDED THIGHS Train Like A Dragonslayer!

By Richard Gaspari, Mr. Universe

Other than Jay Cutler and Shawn Ray, who both are at the upper echelon of leg development, clarion-clear cuts, separation, definition and shape, what is going on with the quad and ham development of so many pro bodybuilders these days?

Come on, proportionate to the enormous 24” arms and 46” bloated bellies (which are out of hand), when it comes to rough leg training, going into some gyms today seems like a Sunday ice cream social, sprinkled with 1000 mg. of Anavar. In my opinion, it’s not the true gathering of the buffaloes at the water hole, going into the dungeon of muscle torture, as it once was.

Why are there so many guys doing endless Scott preacher curls and benches, ad nauseam? And what’s with the frigging fashion show with all the women wrapped in lingerie, hair all fluffed and buffed and breasts bigger than 100-pound plates? When did gyms switch to relying on the credit cards of so many pot-bellied, balding guys with saggy skin, cell phones and pagers? Where did the real stuff go?

When did the 24-Hour-Ballys’ ilk pervert our own Gold’s, Powerhouse and World’s Gym bodybuilding sweet perversion? So, you ask, who the Hell is this guy, some frustrated has been?

Nah, I’m just funning with ya’ll, and I appreciate all the iron pumpers getting it on (especially those 100-pound-plate babes) and the huge great pros today, like Cutler, Ray and Coleman!

I really just want to help everybody, but especially the young guys, to show them how to get their legs jammed and rammed, because they just ain’t getting it right today. Okay, yes, so I became a pro when my New Jersey cohort “The Boss” Bruce Springsteen was pumping out his biceps in those Glory Days. My first gym, Health and Strength in Highland Park, N.J., was in a dingy basement where the air was a combo of odiferous ammonia and heavy, dingy, hanging dampness, laced with buzzing mosquitoes without the Nile virus.

The equipment was old, blue Nautilus machines, cable machines that you had to plate load, along with a bunch of rickety benches, rusty plates, and barbells and dumbbells thrown all over the floor. The carpet was ripped with holes from flying weights. The equipment upholstery was so ripped and frayed that it looked like that Russian boxer’s face a couple of months ago after he fought Lennox Lewis.

And, actually, when I did do my Scott preacher curls, I had to place a towel down over the pad because a couple of loose screws would dig into my triceps. But, I also had a loose screw and this was pain with gain! I also remember the guys really taking their lifting seriously and with such leg intensity, Dante’s inferno had nothing on them or me.

When I started training, I was called Mr. Question cause’ I annoyed everyone. I was hungry, the annoying man, like Jon Lovitz used to be on Saturday Night Live. As a teenager I already knew that if I wanted to make pro, my abdominals and legs would have to rock, especially if I was to stand next to giants like Iron Warrior Mike Christian and Lee Marvelous Marvin Haney, with their enormous upper bodies.